Headcanon name for the island?

Hello everyone! I'm interested to hear everyone's personal terms for the island in which Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together take place.

Unless there is an official name I am unaware of, I've heard variations such as "The Shadow Island", "The Shadow World", "The Shadow Realm", and just Survival Island.

Personally, I'm more attuned with "The Hell Island™".

Thoughts? Perhaps even developer input or confirmation? J2TMuO2.png

Albion. Fierce storms, Barron land, cold winters, scorching summers, vicious beasts and untamed wilds. sounds like home.

A legend exists in various forms that giants were either the original inhabitants, or the founders of the land named Albion.

Brutus! there lies beyond the Gallic bounds
An island which the western sea surrounds,
By giants once possessed, now few remain
To bar thy entrance, or obstruct thy reign.
To reach that happy shore thy sails employ
There fate decrees to raise a second Troy
And found an empire in thy royal line,
Which time shall ne'er destroy, nor bounds confine.

— Geoffrey of Monmouth

3 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

I usually refer to it as the Penumbra, and the last world and epilogue of adventure mode as the Umbra.

That's quite interesting! I do like it. Penumbra definitely has that official-yet-dark-and-old feel to it. Well of course with the latin and whatnot

3 hours ago, Haroldman said:

Albion. Fierce storms, Barron land, cold winters, scorching summers, vicious beasts and untamed wilds. sounds like home.

A legend exists in various forms that giants were either the original inhabitants, or the founders of the land named Albion.

Brutus! there lies beyond the Gallic bounds
An island which the western sea surrounds,
By giants once possessed, now few remain
To bar thy entrance, or obstruct thy reign.
To reach that happy shore thy sails employ
There fate decrees to raise a second Troy
And found an empire in thy royal line,
Which time shall ne'er destroy, nor bounds confine.

— Geoffrey of Monmouth

Oh gracious this is quite in depth. I hadn't known about this prior. Thank you for your input! It's very interesting!

1 hour ago, Schism_989 said:

Macabria. Based off of the word Macabre, which explains a Grim or Ghastly Atmosphere, which is present in Don't Starve in many cases. I got the idea from this post.

Oooooh haha! I had a feeling there were going to be other threads on the same topic, forgive me! It's quite a good idea too... I also agree "the island" just fits it. Being mysterious and whatnot, but hm... would be hard to use that in, say... a description with someone unfamiliar with the game.

Or just make it more mysterious. More power to you, haha.

I always thought that it wasn't just 1 island, I thought it was 5,000,000 mini islands all near one another, and they had different seas and stuff. Like "Disappointment Island", "Hatred Island", and "Why Bother Island" all in "Depression Sea of Ugh Whatever". It just made sense every world was a new island since every world is different, rather than every world being the same island, but I guess in a slightly different timeline in which Maxwell made the island look slightly different? Anyway, let's call the island/s Bob cause WHY NOT in this mad world.

I think Wendy even _calls_ it "Purgatory" at one point...

As for me, uh...I dunno. "The Don't Starve World".  I haven't really come up with a good name yet.  Possibly Realm of The Ancients?  (who may or may not also be "Them"?) 

The only thing noticably different in my headcanon is that I don't call it an island.  It's HUGE.  It's clearly a continent. (Unless this world is, like, a super-Earth, and the ACTUAL continents are so much bigger, they make the landmass where the game takes place _look_ like an island.)  The little things you can sail around to in Shipwrecked?  THOSE are islands. 

And I still stand by my idea that they're all part of the same planet, and that if it wouldn't be such a memory-drain, you could totally just sail off some area of the Don't Starve/RoG mainland into the Shipwrecked islands smoothly without needing a loading screen.  In other words, the reason we can't is not a _lore_ reason in which the islands are in another reality and require a gateway to get to, but that the GAME needs there to be a loading screen there.

At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Basically the Seaworthy is a fancy wormhole that bops you to another location in the same world; nothing more exotic than that.  (Because, of course, living teleportation tunnels are SO normal.)

(Adventure Mode is totally its own seperate realities, though.  I'm not sure about the first four chapters being on the same world or not, but "Darkness" and the Epilogue are _definitely_ Somewhere Else...)

For the name...I still have no idea.  I kind of like it nameless.  Fits the whole empty feeling.  (shrug)

...Notorious

Archived