The Game Is Losing Replay Value

After playing this game for 24 hours on steam , The game is now dropping interest.

Sure , new updates every few days , but most of those updates don't make the game that much more enjoyable than it already was , they just seem to make the game harder , and even though I like playing hard games , This one doesn't drop much more effect on me.

Sure , the game is fun , but now i'm losing interest , The game updates are regular , but most of them don't even affect me in any way , like the previous update , which added the spider queen , which I probably won't meet until I reach a sustainable base with about 10 meat effigies and a spare amulet.

The updates that effect me , Like the ones that make the game more difficult , don't add anything exiting or interesting in it , the game may be fun , but after a while it just felt like a drag to play , sinse the game doesn't offer anything exiting that will effect early-games. I used to have fun , and it may just be me , but the game is getting boring to play. we need more exiting game-changing updates that make the game more fun again.

After playing this game for 24 hours on steam , The game is now dropping interest.

Sure , new updates every few days , but most of those updates don't make the game that much more enjoyable than it already was , they just seem to make the game harder , and even though I like playing hard games , This one doesn't drop much more effect on me.

Sure , the game is fun , but now i'm losing interest , The game updates are regular , but most of them don't even affect me in any way , like the previous update , which added the spider queen , which I probably won't meet until I reach a sustainable base with about 10 meat effigies and a spare amulet.

The updates that effect me , Like the ones that make the game more difficult , don't add anything exiting or interesting in it , the game may be fun , but after a while it just felt like a drag to play , sinse the game doesn't offer anything exiting that will effect early-games. I used to have fun , and it may just be me , but the game is getting boring to play. we need more exiting game-changing updates that make the game more fun again.

Luckily the game is in an EARLY beta and the developers are holding off any major updates until after the holidays. One can arguable state that 24 is NOTHING, challenge yourself, explore a new world, mod the game, do any other number of things.

If you are looking for a full blown game, balanced with early, mid and endgame then you will be disapointed by the current feature list.

Go play other games, 24 hours game time is surely enough for a 11 dollar game, ( it's equable to like a movie and popcorn with soda ). The game will continue to expand, right now their isn't much content after day 10, but we will get there.

What you seem to not realise is that you are playing a Beta, the game is set to release in March. If you want to stop, go for it. Come back when all of the content is in. All you've played so far is the early game. Some mid game features are in but nothing for late game. I repeat, this is a Beta.

Im sitting at 19 hours now, and probably about 10-15 on the Chrome version. I was at about 130 days on my last world and id achieved everything i could think of. If you didn't start a new world with the new world generator for this update, thats your problem. I did however and it has renewed a reasonable amount of interest and shud last me a good few more hours. If you need to build up 10 Meat Effigies in order to have the balls to take on a Spider Queen, i pity you.

I like to pull this comparison into discussions like this. How much do you pay for a movie? Get a ticket at the Cinema or buy it on DVD. It costs lets say £10. You watch a movie for 2 hours. £5 per hour. Compare that to how much you paid for Don't Starve, £10. And you've had 19 hours of enjoyment. Thats like £0.50 per hour. All in all though, just take a break. Everyone gets burnt out on games if they only play 1 constantly. I logged almost 300 hours in Terraria. I can barely bring myself to play it any more. Around 200 in Magicka, same story with that.

-- Update --

Its also worth noting that i played Magicka and Terraria a lot in comparison to Don't Starve but the primary reason is that those games were finished and they continued to add new content regularly after release. I logged maybe 20 hours on the leaked pre-alpha of Terraria, which is comparable to this current version of Don't Starve in terms of content.

Edited by Xuhybrid

I admit, I don't play this game as much anymore, but for a game I spent $12 on? I've already gotten more than my money's worth. The newest update's adding in something of a mid-game, given the massive power-ups they gave spiders, so I'm sure that things will just keep getting more and more interesting.

what some of you fail to understand is that even though its in beta and more updates are coming or that the game has not released yet.

Even with more updates the game will still not add enough to get back the attention to a person who lost interest. Also, even if the game gets release it wont change the fact that even though they add new items to craft, the base game is still the same unless one of its updates changes the gameplay style in a big way.

Now i enjoyed this game and got my moneys worth but i basicly got bored of this game after 12 hours or so. I basicly did everything the game had and even though new craftable items came there was still not that much of a change.

Now mulitiplayer would go a long way to help, it would be a mistake in the devs part to think this game will last very long on single player alone. But i wont talk about mulitiplayer becuase its already been talked about enough.

All we've had access to so far is freeplay mode. What will be one of the biggest features of the game (story mode) and some major upcoming mechanics that will change the way we play (sanity and winter) are still on their way. If you really are that bored of the game, just take a break until some of the big game-changing updates are introduced.

• Like 1

I'm on day 202 and still finding things to do. But still, I do know what you mean. The game developers have stated already that while they feel they've got the early game pretty well fleshed out, they are still lacking on the mid and late game, and that is their next project. Don't forget that this game is not finished yet. I'm sure they will come up with something nice for the mid and late game for us.

Taking a break until an update or two later seems like a good idea if you are burned out on the game. By then there should be new goodies that might interest you again. You could also try to set goals for yourself like making all hats or cooking recipes if you like such things. I personally cant complain in the slightest, a 7 euro game has given me 80 hours of fun so far, that is more then I can so for many blockbuster AAA titles these days.

I have about 40 hours in now and still have a high desire to play.

I think as the game get closer to being complete it will only get better. What drives me is the discovery factor and terraforming your base camp to increase you survivability.

I would like to see a new endgame level of new items that are really hard to unlock. What drives my desire to play the most is unlocking and building at least one of each of the cool inventions.

Maybe a New Mad Scientist workbench with item unlocks like….

FankenMut (Permanent Pet Dog)

Spider Powered Car (Double Movement Speed)

Ghost form Hat (Take Double Damage)

Fish-O-Matic (Fishing hole Maker)

Utility Belt (New Hotbar with 6 slots for just tools)

We are still due to have several game changing mechanics added, such as winter and of course the portal to portal plot mode we have been promised that will explain why Wilson and Co. are trapped to begin with. Not to mention the hinted new biomes further down the road as well as the sanity meter an world artifacts. Blah blah blah...

Point is, we have a whole bunch of huge changes that will really effect game play and alter the way we have to play. Right now even the base mechanics are being altered with each update it seems.

I think this game can last just fine as single player, and it doesn't have the capacity to remain a lone survivor game if it were multiplayer. Instead it would quickly become a tribal society game. The most multiplayer we need is some way to compare survival rates and strategies, accomplishments, etc. . . some sort of scoreboard.

That said a march release date is crazy talk. The guy who said this is an EARLY beta hit it on the head. To be specific this is the early beta of spring. Winter will need at least as much time, as will summer and fall. Kevin also mentioned ruins of maxwell's civilization and other goodies we haven't even had time to think of yet all of which will require time to be balance and adjusted.

Lets go ridiculous and say they release in march, a fake release, and continue putting out full updates and new content for six months ending in september . . . all that does is make people who buy the "full game" get a beta game that is still being balanced, and are now expecting a polished, content filled whole game.

Meanwhile the staff has set a terminology that says the game is already done and they are doing just "bonus" content. So the staff starts getting complaints rather than "beta feedback" the game gets trashed in reviews, and everyone is unhappy. Better just to stay in beta till the game is DONE, say around next September, or maybe march 2014.

I thought I would have lost interest by now too, but so far I still find stuff to do. I don't really rush it. For example I am currently on day 265 and I still have not started beekeeping yet. I plan to do it since day 10 or so but there is always other stuff to do. Currently I am trying to make the neatest camp ever with flowers and butterflies everywhere so when I finally get the bees they will have a great time. So far I have made about ten patches of ten flowers each, partially connected by flowers to form a patchwork pattern and also began to encircle my farm area and roads. For about twenty seconds or so I thought I could pull it off to have just one kind of flower, but then I gave up on the idea.

I think this game can last just fine as single player, and it doesn't have the capacity to remain a lone survivor game if it were multiplayer. Instead it would quickly become a tribal society game. The most multiplayer we need is some way to compare survival rates and strategies, accomplishments, etc. . . some sort of scoreboard.

That said a march release date is crazy talk. The guy who said this is an EARLY beta hit it on the head. To be specific this is the early beta of spring. Winter will need at least as much time, as will summer and fall. Kevin also mentioned ruins of maxwell's civilization and other goodies we haven't even had time to think of yet all of which will require time to be balance and adjusted.

Lets go ridiculous and say they release in march, a fake release, and continue putting out full updates and new content for six months ending in september . . . all that does is make people who buy the "full game" get a beta game that is still being balanced, and are now expecting a polished, content filled whole game.

Meanwhile the staff has set a terminology that says the game is already done and they are doing just "bonus" content. So the staff starts getting complaints rather than "beta feedback" the game gets trashed in reviews, and everyone is unhappy. Better just to stay in beta till the game is DONE, say around next September, or maybe march 2014.

Can you link the post where they talk about having all 4 seasons? Because to my knowledge Kevin's only released that there will be winter and whatever you consider the standard season to be; we'll call it summer. (You could be right, I'm more curious than anything) And quite honestly you have no idea what's going on over at Klei, as far as you know they could be working on the story mode behind closed doors and just using the free-play mode on us just to work out all the bugs as far as gameplay goes. They've been very punctual as far as their releases go and quite responsive on hotfixes too. I don't think they're going to leave their community high and dry just to get their game out asap, if they need to push the date back they will. To think that the 6 months their committing to the game after the release date as "a way to fool the community in thinking that the games out of beta" is kind of crazy talk lol. I fully trust that come March, these guys will have something beautiful for us to play and will only make it better from there until it's perfect. You sir, need to cheer up. :D