What do you think the Wilson Rework will look like?

Important note: chuck the concept of him being a "beginner character" for this discussion.

The context here is that his rework is going to be a complete revamp from being the beginner character with no upsides/downsides to a really really interesting character like the rest of the cast e.g:

Wortox can soul hop = interesting af, Wendy can summon ghost = interesting, woodie is cursed af = interesting, wurt can be a merm queen = yes.

Just brain dump anything to this post. Really curious on what you think it will look like

I guess here's what I think atm:

- upsides: either be themed around utilizing tech/science or utilizing medicine as his upsides. (I know he's a doctor but I'd really want to see his rework lean more to tech/science rather than medicine)

- downsides: tbh i really don't know lol but maybe something that affects his health or sanity since he's a mad scientist who experiments on anything even at the cost of his health or sanity I think

Added craft to force beard growth. Can be used on some other things for whacky non-useful(or slightly useful) things.

Lacking a beard gives him heat resistance.

Dying keeps his beard.

175hp

Shaving bearded mobs gives him sanity and unbeards the bearded mob.

if not anything major, i would want more beard stuff, because beards are awesome. 

new items:

safe razor - can be used by both Wilson and Webber. lowers beard level by one, gives some beard hair/silk and sanity. 

depilation kit - removes the beard and stops beard growth for 10 days. 

new perks:

- can shave with an axe in exchange for some health and sanity(not useful in any way, but i can imagine Wilson doing it for some reason)

- gets more stats for sleeping with tier 3 beard(uses it as a pillow)

- if he has tier 3 beard, Bearded bunnymen won't atack him even if he has meat, and bearded rabbits won't run away from him till he atacks one of them

Downside:

- dries off slower with bigger beard. 

since he is the face of the game
I still think he should be something more to represent DST as a mutiplayer game
my I deal was turn him into a support that has the ability to upgrade other character ability via science, (or the forbidden knowledge)

that way, he will represent the mutiplayer aspect of Don't Starve Together
if you decide to play solo, then he will be the good old Wilson before rework (because his "power" doesn't change anything for solo gameplay), aka the same Wilson from DS that represent the singleplayer aspect of the original Don't Starve  

Can craft the mad scientist lab without hallowed nights turned on.

Higher chance for the big potions.

Unique potion that functions like a boostershot but is cheaper and more effective.

A pet chicken. 

thats all i got

Would be neat to see potions/chemistry explored again.

... just because it's a concept that's been associated with him before, I'd like if his update added the ability for any character to 'build' blueprints from known recipes at a station. Would be nice for groups.

As long as Klei does the two things I begged a few years back for a Wilson Rework to do- I don’t really care how the rest of his character plays out because he is literally a blank slate for them to truly make his gameplay be unique & his own character-

And oh heck No, I do not accept being the “starter character” with no perks or cons as being fun nor unique especially seeing as people aren’t forced to start as him anymore.

The two things I wanted: First one is Obvious but I’ll reshare that here- Wilson’s Unique Idle Animation should involve pouring science chemicals into a beaker and it explodes messing up his hair then he shakes his head like a dog to magically straighten itself back out in classic cartoon fashion as seen HERE-

41C9C84A-0627-4099-8DEC-367894F8E065.gif.48d3ec914b5b9f2c90a94a254a1ec9e4.gif

The SECOND thing I want is for an Insane Wilson’s Shaved off Beard Hairs to turn into Beardlings.. At first it will start out slightly moving, then it’s hair with eyeballs, then blam full on Beardling- 

For Wilson: this would appear as something his mind manifests from being Insane, However for everyone nearby who is NOT insane, they will just see Wilson’s beard hairs turn into a Rabbit.

How did he do it?? SCIENCE! (And a bit of magic)

Making Wilson the only character in the entire game who can produce Rabbits/Beardlings out of thin air.

There is a very deep highly complex system that is in DST that for some reason Klei has yet to take a “Deep Dive” into- and that’s how players can see things while low sanity that aren’t what other people are seeing from that SAME Mob..

Aka Rabbit/Beardling, Bunnymen/Bunny Overlord?? (Whatever they’re called) Seeing and being attacked by monsters other players nearby don’t or can hardly see etc..

And I want them to really crack into that throughout 2023/2024

I wish he could be seen as more than just a beard. I want him to be able to gain weight like CJ in San Andreas.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

The SECOND thing I want is for an Insane Wilson’s Shaved off Beard Hairs to turn into Beardlings.. At first it will start out slightly moving, then it’s hair with eyeballs, then blam full on Beardling- 

This would be even cooler if he could also create nose goblins and or travel into Willow's belly button.

I really hope he gets something, I understand the concern for having a "base character", but all that ends up doing is making him a comparison for other characters. He has nothing going for him, and brings nothing to the table in co-operative play since beard hair can be acquired from beardlings and such.

I'm sorry, but for me he just shouldn't remain how he is... :chargrined:

24 minutes ago, KM_Harrowick said:

I really hope he gets something, I understand the concern for having a "base character", but all that ends up doing is making him a comparison for other characters. He has nothing going for him, and brings nothing to the table in co-operative play since beard hair can be acquired from beardlings and such.

I'm sorry, but for me he just shouldn't remain how he is... :chargrined:

His theme of mad scientist has tons of potential either he focuses on tech (dst tech like wag staff style tech but prototype-y because he's not wag staff level genius) or medicine (but tbh tech sounds better)

Kinda like a wagstaff but more low-tech and practical e.g traps and.. (I can't think of anything other than traps right now lol)

Also his skins are awesome. Especially the gorge skin- premium looking af

+ Patented Inventions (Starts the game with a few items he personally invented, ie: The Fire Pump and the Nauto Pilot, plus some other things.)
+ Grows a magnificent Beard (Unchanged)
+ Revels SCIENCE! (Adds a few items that use both Lunar and Shadow magic. He was on the Nightmare throne and did assist with the Celestial stuff, alternatively focus on his chemistry background making consumables out of petals, herbs, nitre, etc.)

No downside because he is Wilson. If he does get a downside maybe something like: Just one of these.
- ... a little too much (Forgets a random invention after X time) or
- Not the brightest bulb (Some recipes (potentially at random maybe) require the Alchemy Engine instead of the Science Machine) or
- Likes to keep busy (Loses sanity when not doing things, probably a similar timer akin to Winona's build hunger timer)

Since Wilson is the basic character for survival I would add a mechanic of "extra" examination this mechanic would allow Wilson to tell the health and damage of mobs maybe an exclusive book for Wilson called research notes, something like a mini compendium for mobs.

One of my idea from a year ago is that Wilson can start with a Portable Science Machine that anyone can use & only he can disassemble and can upgrade it to Portable Alchemy Engine, basic and not terribly useful but still quite helpful to other people early game, and perfectly suit his scientist wannabe status. Might clash with Wickerbottom's new perk a little now though, but I still think it's different enough to be a potential perk.

Best Wilson rework would be to add an extra stage of beard growth. For real though I would rather he stays the same and Willow got another rework, she is very lacking and I would love to see some special mechanics around fire combat while playing her!

Archived