2 hours ago, FourthLess said:

I just hope they won't turn him into actual scientist with Wagstaff-like crafts which he never was and probably never will be. 

But he is already a great scientist with great inventions. And also, he takes inspirations from Wagstaff's creations. Why not give him a crafting tab with unique and funny inventions?

Spoiler

Though I also think he shouldn't be a copy of Wagstaff or Winona.

Do we know that Wilson is getting a rework? My understanding is that only two more survivors are being reworked and I assumed that was Maxwell and Winona. Or is Winona exempt because she has an animated short already?

12 minutes ago, dzzydzzy said:

Do we know that Wilson is getting a rework? 

Yes, every character is getting a rework.

13 minutes ago, dzzydzzy said:

My understanding is that only two more survivors are being reworked and I assumed that was Maxwell and Winona. Or is Winona exempt because she has an animated short already?

The last 2 characters are Wilson and Maxwell. Winona was the first character that got reworked.

19 hours ago, mkemal23 said:

But he is already a great scientist

He isn't though, he's a failure. 

He has a lot of characteristics of a good scientists like being stubborn and never giving up (proved by him dying around million times just trying to get to Maxwell) but he was never... smart, you know. 

The only reason I can justify him actually inventing stuff in Constant and being kinda successful at it is that Constant runs 90% on puns and Wilson is just very good at those :]

On 7/25/2022 at 9:24 PM, Pedro cc said:

Since Wilson is the basic character for survival I would add a mechanic of "extra" examination this mechanic would allow Wilson to tell the health and damage of mobs maybe an exclusive book for Wilson called research notes, something like a mini compendium for mobs.

yo wait I actually really like this suggestion. This is definitely what I want out of a Wilson Rework now.

If Wilson’s rework reinforces his character, then he shouldn’t JUST be an engineer. While Wilson made the fire pump, the gardeneer hat, and the nautical magnets, he also made the meat effigy and the telltale heart. 

I actually think that leaning a bit more into medicine/health-based mechanics would make him stand out! It could allow him to make more engineering marvels while separating him from the established engineer/mechanical characters and also while having a more beginner-friendly toolkit. The Mad Science Machine already does something like this with its various stat boosts.

The first example I can think of is armor that replenishes HP over time, but I’m not sure if that would benefit newer players as much as I think it would.

What ive always thought of when considering a wilson rework i always figured it would keep the spirit of being the basic character while adding wilson unique crafts or items that just help with general survivability.

Woven bandage - 3 grass 2 sticks, heals 15

goey bandage 3 grass 1 glommer goop

heals 50 (“i cant believe i used to eat this stuff”)

i love the idea of a compendium, kill a monster to get its stats logged into a book, eat food to get its stats logged, includes the gardening book and the cook book

Better thermal stone - the temperature changes twice as slowly both ways meaning it stores twice as much heat/cold with no durability

follicle remover - the beard doesnt grow back for ten days, usable with no beard

Sturdy tent - able to make a tent with unlimited uses

Ḃ̷͕̯͉̠̲̣͖̣̭̯̪̱̖͙͇͌̃͑̒ę̶̤̙̝͓͓̹̙̻̃͒͗̌ā̵̭̪̞̩̝̽̀̀͊͒͠r̵̢̛̬̳̬̝͇̪̗͓̟̺̱̼d̷̡͕̩͍͚̻̩͚̬̼́̆̔̎̌̅̌̀̑̈͜ ̶̨̡̛̹͖̖͈͉͇̙̃̀̀͌̉̓͌̂r̵͙̻̳̻̈́̂̒͋̎͌̓̐̓͘͘u̷͍̹͑̇̃͌̃̇̒͑́̕̚͠g̴̢̛̼̭͇̜̐̏̋̀̍͂̉́͛̿̅- Ḃ̷͕̯͉̠̲̣͖̣̭̯̪̱̖͙͇͌̃͑̒ę̶̤̙̝͓͓̹̙̻̃͒͗̌ā̵̭̪̞̩̝̽̀̀͊͒͠r̵̢̛̬̳̬̝͇̪̗͓̟̺̱̼d̷̡͕̩͍͚̻̩͚̬̼́̆̔̎̌̅̌̀̑̈͜ ̶̨̡̛̹͖̖͈͉͇̙̃̀̀͌̉̓͌̂r̵͙̻̳̻̈́̂̒͋̎͌̓̐̓͘͘u̷͍̹͑̇̃͌̃̇̒͑́̕̚͠g̴̢̛̼̭͇̜̐̏̋̀̍͂̉́͛̿̅

Perks ideas

Double sanity from prototyping (flavor) 

Experienced (starts with some useful recipes, backpack, spear, shovel etc)

tools have double durability 

he has 60 summer insulation when completely shaved

has a reduced hunger drain

the gist pretty much is to make a character who is good at survival. Can resist strong temperatures, can make cheap healing for him and his friends, and has some nice qol perks. I do think its useful to have a fairly simple character that is just generally better at surviving. Most of the cast turns a basic component of the game on its head, so an “easymode” character would be nice for newer players

I think a lot of people forget that Wilson is an amateur scientist. I don't think he should have his own experiments or potions. Literally the reason he's in the constant is because he wanted this knowledge so badly. Winona is more of the invention type character. 

Although I do believe beard hair should be used in more crafts.  (Beards for all!)

Perhaps Wilson can craft blue prints of things he already knows. (Not boss ones tho) Gains more sanity from learning blueprints and prototyping things. Wilson could also help new players if he had some sort of perk that tells you the health and damage of things. When I was new, I found myself just reading wikis and youtube all the time. If Wilson could provide this information in game, it will be helpful for new players to learn the basics of mobs. This would fit since Wilson is always seeking knowledge.

And judging from the forge and the meat effigies, he seems to be very helpful when it comes to reviving and healing others. Perhaps he should take less damage from telltale hearts and it gives more hp to the revived player. He could also probably craft his own healing items too.

I don't think Wilson should gain any MAJOR perks  he should definitely make things "easy going" for new players. If they can manage their stats better, they can use more of their time to explore amd figure things out

genuinely: give him the field notes as a callback to the old field notes style updates and to act as a sort of book of hints for new players to the game, to kind of push them in a direction but not force them

it updates as the player progresses, like building a campfire or torch during the evening, and hinting to make a science machine, and after that a whole plethora of new options opens up for the player like a weapon to defend themselves, or maybe they want to further their knowledge, or dabble into magic perhaps?

of course this little tutorial type thing might not display all the game has to offer, and could even encourage the player to experiment and find things for themselves, which is kind of the whole point of wilson's character, mad science and discovery

i've been thinking about this concept for months because i just want newer players to be able to find out the game for themselves rather than having to pause and skim a wiki for half an hour and then play the actual game, or have other players baby them because they aren't able to figure stuff out on their own without encouragement, because i personally believe that shouldn't be what any game should be about, no matter how "compromising" a basic tutorial is

plus it's been like 10 years since the original no-tutorials vision i think klei can add a slightly tutorial-like feature to the game now considering how much content has been added to this game since then

Klei should follow along with the other refreshes and give him a crafting menu but make it unique where he can brew potions or conduct alchemy with a very difficult learning curve. Having a steep learning curve could make it so he is still a viable starter character with no great bonuses or drawbacks but still be very valuable to veterans and experts who can master a difficult system (in line with don't starve's inherent trade-off system where nothing worth getting is easy).

I would point to Wendy as an example of a character that is great for both new players and veterans. New players can use Wendy as a meat shield, experienced players can farm immense amounts of spiders and werepigs in a matter of days. In a similar way, new players can use Wilson in the "way he was meant to be played" vanilla character, experienced players can use wilson to brew powerful or valuable potions by memorizing what seemingly mundane items in the world may secretly hold a breadth of alchemical information.

My main inspiration from this comes from playing The Witcher 1 which in my opinion far and away has the best alchemy system I have ever used in a game. I also really appreciated having to discover potion effects for yourself in Skyrim, and I believe that Klei is more than capable of taking these concepts and marrying them somehow

Honestly, I hope he won't get a rework. He is absolutly perfect the way he is. My friend said his rework will be Wagstaff related because he is scientist wannabe, but I'd rather him not. All the Wagstaff invention junk should go to Winona instead. 

On 8/19/2022 at 10:25 PM, Bunnyash said:

I think a lot of people forget that Wilson is an amateur scientist. I don't think he should have his own experiments or potions. Literally the reason he's in the constant is because he wanted this knowledge so badly. Winona is more of the invention type character.

Winnona only does mechanical stuff. Wilson is responsible for stuff like gardeneer hat and telltale heart.

It would not be a "Wilson's thing" but I was always dreaming of having unique "skins" for Meat Effigy depending on which character build it. Since it uses beard in it's recipe it would be a perfect time to implement a feature like this.

It's kinda weird that all characters were using his appearance to craft it in the first place even before Together. If it always resemble Wilson then it should be his unique crafting structure. 

And I have another option too. Since every character can use them to ressurect independently on who build it then it should just have more skins to represent all in game characters which could be easily switchable with Clean Sweeper.

-When entering the constant, Wilson has 3 randomly studied recipes
-When next to a spider, his mind drops a lot -40/min
-The new tab "Self-care" Can be crafted with a comb that can comb your hair, and if you have a long beard, then it too. It restores sanity
-Crafting hair gel, if used, gives a small permanent increase in sanity for 2 days
-Can't use a sewing kit (or use it, but very badly, and take damage at the same time)

I'd just add a few beginner-friendly and mad chemist-themed stuff:

• He has a Portable Science Machine, upgradeable into a Portable Alchemy Engine.
  • A few new potions, craftable next to a (Portable) Science Machine / Alchemy Engine, or at a Mad Lab.
    • Potions for things like healing, sanity, something for beard growth (works on himself, Webber and bunnies to make them into beardlings etc). Each of these could come at a small risk (Like healing over time for an immediate chunk of sanity cost etc).
  • Some new "bestiary" for all Survivors, but Wilson observes a bit more easily somehow?

New beard meter

Beard can grow 7 times as long

Goes insane when beard meter is below 50%, gains sanity when it's above 75%. If it's at 100%, you start overheating, you have to trim it a little bit, but not too much or you go insane again.

Having less than 25% beard makes Wilson have -100 sanity and you constantly stop moving to complain about not having a beard, getting you stunlocked and killed by Terrorbeaks.

Have fun with the new Wilson rework it's coming next week and for a week, everyone can only play as Wilson :)

Archived