On 7/27/2022 at 7:45 AM, FourthLess said:

I just hope they won't turn him into actual scientist with Wagstaff-like crafts which he never was and probably never will be.

i hope they give him pseudo scientist stuff where nothing does what it is supposed to do

I'd like Wilson to have unlockable perks behind some difficult wall. Ancient pseudoscience station would do, or lunar altars.

This way he will be just good old Wilson unless you purposefully go and activate the rework.

2 hours ago, Bunnyash said:

Really? I've never heard of these being his own creations.

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/World_Generation_Screen#Loading_Screen_Tips

"I've finally perfected my design for an ingenious (if I do say so myself) device that stores important garden-based knowledge. Certain naysayers might point out that it looks like nothing more than an overturned flowerpot worn on the head... some people simply don't have an eye for science."
- W

"We nearly lost one of our number today. In a mad daze I created... something... that managed to pull our friend back to the land of the living, but... whatever it was, I fear I cannot rightfully say it was within the realm of science..."
- W

This, along with him being licensed to perform amputations, gives much more of a Biology background than that of Chemistry or Physics.

And, of course, one of unintended occultism.

1 hour ago, Castaccio said:

This, along with him being licensed to perform amputations, gives much more of a Biology background than that of Chemistry or Physics.

Technically he's not "licensed" to do anything, since he left university after burning down the chemistry lab. He might have some experience operating on animals for his experiments, though.

What if he could patent a better recipes for stuff? Like patenting an optimized technique of weaving rope and making a recipe that only costs 2 grass to make and altering his crafting menu. But because he is a crazy scientist, after some time or uses something negative could happen and it would revert back.

Maybe other players could use his patents as well, to make him somewhat supporty in a multi-player game.

On 7/25/2022 at 3:16 PM, Mike23Ua said:

The SECOND thing I want is for an Insane Wilson’s Shaved off Beard Hairs to turn into Beardlings.. At first it will start out slightly moving, then it’s hair with eyeballs, then blam full on Beardling- 

For Wilson: this would appear as something his mind manifests from being Insane, However for everyone nearby who is NOT insane, they will just see Wilson’s beard hairs turn into a Rabbit.

the image i got in my head of this is making me loose my mind

image.thumb.png.0590ec5ee8d59c6271b8929699eda56b.png

10 hours ago, maxwell_winters said:

Not really. He invented Fire Pump and Nautipilot. Character quotes make it very clear.

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Fire_Pump

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Nautopilot

Ah! I admittedly didn't see the quotes for the Nautopilot until now (which are so charming!—I've never seen this much character interaction within a set of quotes and it's so heartwarming), so I had only heard from others that he may have made it.

I forgot about the Fire Pump though ^^; my mistake!

On 9/20/2022 at 8:30 AM, Gi-Go said:

Nothing. I hope his rework will bring nothing. Do you guys even play Wilson? I do. And the whole point is to not have perks. 

I play him simply because the rest of the roaster is too limiting. Wormwood can't heal easily, Wicker can't sleep, Wigfrid can't eat veggies, etc. His whole point isn't lack of perks, its lack of downsides. He's one of the few characters that dont limit actual normal gameplay for few gimmicks that you don't even use most of the time

Wilson rework: hunger: 150 brains: 200 health: 150

+ Has a beard (same as before)

+ Brewing tab (can craft potions) makes 2 bottles per craft

~ Timed Explosion Brew [1 gunpowder, 2 glass, 1 torch] throwable, takes 5 secs, think of it as a coconade 

~ Drumstick Brew [2 drumsticks, 2 glass, 1 yellow feather] throwable, befriends all at once if splashed by the brew (max loyalty, bunny men won't count it as meat)

~ Flower-Patch Brew [8 petals, 2 glass, 1 papyrus] throwable, makes "All" mobs splashed by the brew neutral for 1 min

~ Doctors Brew [1 booster shot, 2 glass, 2 spider glands] drinkable, booster shot + heals 30 hp + passively heals 20 hp

~ Hairy-Weiry Brew [2 beard hair, 2 glass, 2 nightmare fuel] drinkable for different effects (erase downside, last for 1 day, no longer monsters)

Wilson & Webber: double beard growth, Willow: no downside, Wolfgang: no downside

Wendy: 25% more damage, Wx-78: full charge & wetness improvement, Woodie: Full Moon Immunity & doesn't lose hunger/sanity from Were-form

Wicker-bottom: sleep & eat stale/spoiled food, Wes: balloons don't cost anything, Maxwell: 50% damage resistance (basic 150 hp)

Wigfrid: can eat vegetables, Winona: no downside, Wormwood: can heal from food but not lose any

Warly: can eat the same food, Wortox: 2x food value & not a monster, Walter: can get hit without effecting sanity,

Wurt: can eat meat/pig trades/not a monster, Wanda: reverse aging and ticks 2x faster, Wonkey: Curse removed

- Once a day forgets a random craft, it's delayed if Wilson crafts something new

36 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

~ Timed Explosion Brew [] throwable, takes 5 secs, think of it as a coconade 

Somewhere, one Willow is crying because of this. 

36 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

~ Hairy-Weiry Brew [] drinkable for different effects (erase downside, last for 1 day, no longer monsters)

I don't even want to imagine what kind of Pandora's box it would open.

Wilson is quite literally a blank slate “Gameplay Wise” His entire playstyle is literally entirely up to Klei at this point..

However- it’s very important to mention that every single previous character rework has had their gameplay revolve around their Vignettes/Loading Screens/ Character profile Portraits.

Examples: Wendy’s portrait showed her plucking flower petals in a Graveyard and when she got Reworked she got more interactions with a Graveyard and a flower plucking animation. Willows Portrait Has always had BERNIE in the image dating all the way back in the original DS and when Willow got Reworked Bernie became a core part of her gameplay, When Wolfgang got reworked his Dumbells became his core theme of getting buff.

Conclusion: Wilson’s rework ABSOLUTELY MUST involve something with Science Beakers, Science-y stuff, Because if he does not: He will literally be the only character.

I want him to be actually fun regardless of the player's skill level, not a boring, "tutorial" character, who is only played by noobs once or twice and then ditched forever. It's so strange that many people want him to be exactly that. If we really need a "tutorial mode" for new players, then make a proper one (relaxed mode is a good start), instead of sacrificing an entire character.

As for what he could have - some crazy experimental gadgets and potions, maybe they would initially be "malfunctioning", i.e. have several possible effects, chosen at random, and require tuning (upgrading) with additional harder to get materials to be reliable in what they do. What could those effects be? Literally anything - spawning mobs (friendly or hostile, useful for their drops or just dangerous), changing stats (hunger, sanity, health) for the user only or for everyone in a certain radius, changing temperature and wetness, turning mobs into different versions of them (or even something unrelated, pun-based), finding certain objects like biomes, bosses, marble pieces, glommer, beefalo, pig king etc (something like the radio from DS or the astral detector).

Here are some examples:

- A machine made with red gems, that can either heal 50 hp for everyone in 2-tile radius, heal 15 hp for everyone in 2-tile radius, or set something on fire in 2-tile radius. Upgrade it with thulecite and it will always heal for 50. Requires red gems as fuel.

- A held device that can lead you to either the pig king, a random pig house, or a varg (which spawns off-screen like on a hunt), works similar to DS radio. Upgrade it with moon rocks and it will point to the lunar island. Or upgrade with nightmare fuel and it will point to the ruins.

- A machine made from spider eggs, a live rabbit and a bird egg. Produces either bacon and eggs (Wilson's favorite food) or 2 monster meat, or spawns 3 spiders. Uses logs as fuel. Has a cooldown of a day. Upgrade it to never spawn spiders (monster meat can still spawn).

- A potion that either raises sanity over time (like soothing tea, but stronger), gives you a fixed +15 sanity, or -15 health. A better version made with lunar grotto mushrooms always has the 1st effect.

Wilson is a scientist, we all know that. But we also know that he isn't a 'good' scientist. Enthusiastic, yes, but not actually good. He's a Mad Scientist at best, which for me personally begs for him to receive (in)sanity-related perks. Also let's actually acknowledge the part where he has occupied the Nightmare Throne and head into the direction of weird, not necessarily controllable alchemy. He deserves something that can go BOOM. 

I can't put any clever, fully thought-out examples on the table without giving it more thought, but I really hope he will be more than a beard-farm and a means to rate the other characters by. I want him to be able to show us his insane little mind and truly shine when his sanity has dropped down below zero. Heck, let him create Nightmare Science that can go all kinds of wrong and only make Maxwell want to strangle him!

Frankly, I just want my boy to live his best life and bring some of the chaos his bio promises us to the game.

Archived