Poll: What changes would you like to see for Wilson, if any?

What changes would you like to see for Wilson, if any?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see changes to Wilson?

• No, the character is perfect already
    • No, the character is fine as is
    • Yes, but only some QoL changes
    • Yes, some new mechanics would be nice
    • Yes, and I would love to see a full rework
  2. 2. Wilson changes:

• [Perk] Wilson uses his Magnificent beard as a blanked to sleep when fully grown
    • [Rework] Wilson experiences a full rework that focuses around science and experimentation
    • I don't like any of the above options
    • Something else (comment below)

Okay, I haven't thrown my hat into the ring and I haven't voted yet, but how about this?

What if Shadow Wilson were to make a comeback as a form for Wilson to use? The idea could be that you could still have the normal Wilson that everyone knows and loves, and then an alternate form that you could activate through certain conditions or items being met/consumed. Think Woodie's idols allowing you to pick your form, but without the hassle of turning when the moon is full. The alternate form would have its drawbacks for being in it, but would also allow you to have some unique perks while the form is active.

Plus, Shadow Wilson hasn't been seen in forever and I would also be cool with them just being a skin set for Wilson. Bring back Shadow Wilson, is what I'm saying.

I think that ideally, Wilson's rework should only add a couple of extra perks that are about on par with his beard in terms of usefulness while still retaining his unique trait of having zero downsides. You know, things that are certainly handy but not game changing. I don't think that they even have to be thematically related. I can't really put it into words, but I feel like having a handful of unrelated perks would still kind of suit him as the "default" Don't Starve experience. Does that make the slightest bit of sense to anyone?

I know insulation in the game doesn't work like that as winter insulation just switches off their insulative effect in the hotter half of the year and vice versa but at least Wilson's magnificiant beard should function differently, where it becomes a downside by providing negative insulation, i.e. faster overheating in summer.

Is it not possible to program it so that the beard provides its regular winter insulation values in the cold half but starts providing the negative of same (or half) values as summer insulation on the hotter half? Overall this is a change I'd like to see made to all insulation mechanics but even if it isn't changed, can wilson at least have "keeping a long beard in the middle of summer" as an active detriment?

The best solution that i see is for Wilson to become a support character. Playing him just for yourself would still be a vanilla experience but there's no reason he can't have unique abilities that really help his team like how Wigfrid has songs but not completely like that as he shouldn't be affected by his abilities only his teammates.

I don't think Wilson isn't even a "default" character at this point. When someone buys the game, unless you tell them outright, who they pick first is mostly random (they might go by survival chance).

There are characters with mostly upsides that are safer to play AND you can even ignore those upsides. I'd say Wolfgang is more of a default character that Wilson as he can double his damage for mobs with double the health. Heck even Wanda can be played as a "vanilla" character if you just get used to the clock health and make a ton of ageless watches. 

"Default" Wilson is from a no longer relevant era and it doesn't make sense not to rework him if Wes got a rework. All he needs is a science lab and if people really want to, then they can just ignore it. Though I think having him revolve around what one might define as "balance" could interesting in and of itself. After all, a Scientist may work diligently to find "solutions" to any form of "imbalance", may it be formulaic and/or mathematical in nature; thus making sense of what may otherwise be perceived as a chaotic universe.

I think it would interesting make potions that add upsides and dowsides that balance each other out, as way to make a "build your own Wilson" or help other characters reach a more perfect "balance".

Example potions potentiall (rough idea):

Higher max sanity, but more susceptible to insanity auras. And the inverse.

Higher max health, but slightly more prone to damage. And the inverse.

Higher max hunger, but faster hunger drain. And the inverse.

You get to decide what perfect "balance" is and isn't. These are very basic ones off the top off my head, other stats could be included of course.

31 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Example potions potentiall (rough idea):

Higher max sanity, but more susceptible to insanity auras. And the inverse.

Higher max health, but slightly more prone to damage. And the inverse.

Higher max hunger, but faster hunger drain. And the inverse.

You get to decide what perfect "balance" is and isn't. These are very basic ones off the top off my head, other stats could be included of course.

1 + 1 - 1 = 1

Except you also have to waste more resources to refill stats

7 hours ago, Keller Max said:

1 + 1 - 1 = 1

Except you also have to waste more resources to refill stats

I suppose it all depends on what character you give what. Since the inverse is also possible you could lower stats and make them easier to manage. You could do it for speed, dmg, etc

10 stages of beard until he can curl himself and his beard up to a beardball, crush everything in his path and collect as he goes around.
just like that game katamari damacy but Wilson beard edition.

1 hour ago, PunkShark said:

10 stages of beard until he can curl himself and his beard up to a beardball, crush everything in his path and collect as he goes around.

Finally, a Wilson rework I can get behind.

On 5/5/2022 at 12:57 PM, Keller Max said:

In vanilla ds Wilson is a good character power wise. Completely balanced. But now, with all new characters and reworks, his previous neutral balance is considered as weak.

In what sense?

Is he not able to handle current content?

10 hours ago, PunkShark said:

137931630_Dungbeetledamacy.thumb.png.a538bd8824661286821464900771d785.png

9 minutes ago, Keller Max said:

Sure he can! Same as Wes, Duh...

It's not about the content. Its about how strong someone is compared to other characters.

It's not a competitive game, and to some extent it's even a good thing to have characters at different power levels. Wes might be the only challenge character but just a character who isn't making the game easier is also a nice option to have.
if wilson isn't struggling with current content, what's the issue.

Edit: I will also say that even by singleplayer standards, Wilson is very much one of the weaker characters. There's never been a time where he was "neutral" in terms of powerlevel, his schtick was always just not having any special strengths or weaknesses

1 hour ago, kirihime said:

It's not a competitive game, and to some extent it's even a good thing to have characters at different power levels. Wes might be the only challenge character but just a character who isn't making the game easier is also a nice option to have.
if wilson isn't struggling with current content, what's the issue.

Edit: I will also say that even by singleplayer standards, Wilson is very much one of the weaker characters. There's never been a time where he was "neutral" in terms of powerlevel, his schtick was always just not having any special strengths or weaknesses

Which character was ever struggling then? Tell me who was struggling before his rework? And then what was the point of all the rework then?

One way of doing a Wilson rework could be to have two different versions of him within the game in a unique way. Like not at character select screen but perhaps some late game activity (killing both fuelweaver and celestial champion and fusing the crown and shadow helm or something?) allows you to essentially become/tap into the Nightmare Throne version of Wilson (I know he seemingly didn't hold it long with Charlie taking it from him after he freed Maxwell).

Has a bunch of fairly strong abilities unique to him that are thematically similar to Maxwell or something you would imagine the Nightmare Throne occupier to have but he can only use them when in this form, maybe he even has to keep a certain piece of headgear on to stay in this form (the result of fusing the crown and shadow helm). You could choose to never use said item or use said form and simply stay plain old Wilson or you could choose to utilise this powerful new form of his. Maybe some new downside to balance his new form out as well as having to wear the headgear item and taking it off immediately cancels/stops any effects you currently have going. Having the Head slot always occupied if you want to stay in this form could be pretty detrimental in of itself especially if some of his abilities are time based/effects you want to keep going for maximum effort/value. No head armor, no miners hat, no eyebrella etc. Maybe being in this form would also make all Gestalts immediately hostile to him in the Grotto etc and make them target him over anything else. 

Probably a rather over the top and hard to implement suggestion but hey it would at least allow those who want Wilson to remain untouched to continue playing him exactly the same while others could aim at unlocking his more potent form but at a cost.

Wilson doesn't need much.

I think his rework should be entirely optional, sort of like what Wigfrid got. 

Someone mentioned the ability to draft blueprints, I enjoy that idea. It doesn't seem crazy useful, but it's a nice extra touch and seems like something Wilson can actually accomplish.

My biggest fear with a full on rework is people losing sight of the original lore of Wilson. He is kind of a loser. He is a failed scientist. Basically his only real success was the jury-rigged portal, which really maxwell helped/tricked wilson into creating, and let's be honest that thing is a monstrosity. Unlike Winona, Wilson wouldn't be able to create something that looks incredibly clean or elegant. 

To me, Wilson is just best at growing a shaggy beard. Maybe he can make beard oil to grow his beard back faster. Maybe he can make a Beard Hair Hat and Beard Hair Suit. They wouldn't do much, maybe a tiny amount if cold/wet insulation, and like 25% armor. Or a beard hair blanket (basically a straw roll) and you can completely ignore these beard crafts and nothing changes.. with the exception of beard hair oil making dying as Wilson ever so slightly more forgiving if winter is around the corner. 

Jury-Rigged_Portal.png

2 hours ago, Keller Max said:

Which character was ever struggling then? Tell me who was struggling before his rework? And then what was the point of all the rework then?

Pre-rework Wendy was pretty bad, and Willow's been through the wringer repeatedly ever since she was first added to try and make her something people are comfortable with. Wormwood got a fairly big one with RWYS since prior to that he was just a load of downsides with very limited upsides. Webber wasn't struggling per se, but he was unpopular and people generally disliked playing as or with him.

In most cases the reworks are about fleshing out the character and giving them more identity, they aren't strictly about buffs. Wes is the most obvious one here but Wolfgang and WX also apply, they aren't necessarily stronger than their pre-rework iterations (and current WX pales in comparison to singleplayer WX)

Archived