Poll: What changes would you like to see for Wilson, if any?

What changes would you like to see for Wilson, if any?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see changes to Wilson?

• No, the character is perfect already
    • No, the character is fine as is
    • Yes, but only some QoL changes
    • Yes, some new mechanics would be nice
    • Yes, and I would love to see a full rework
  2. 2. Wilson changes:

• [Perk] Wilson uses his Magnificent beard as a blanked to sleep when fully grown
    • [Rework] Wilson experiences a full rework that focuses around science and experimentation
    • I don't like any of the above options
    • Something else (comment below)

Source thread is this:

Previously I asked "What character do you main?" and after, I contacted people that replied to the poll, I compiled a list of desired changes.

In this thread feel free to vote and discuss about Wilson.

Wilson is currently one of the most played characters, and one I frequently play when I just want to play the game and not worry about upsides or downsides. He is currently the only character in the entire game like this, with only Winona coming close. If he gets a rework there will be 0 characters left that offer vanilla gameplay.

Why not rerework Winona instead, so she's more interesting? Then the people who don't like Wilson still get a rework and the people who do can still play him. There's already 17 other characters to choose from for someone who wants a power, I just want 1 character without a huge upside. He's perfect to learn the game with and perfect to pick when you just want to play. 

2 minutes ago, Echsrick said:

in what way "too much"? sould i be BORING and only play 1 thing and only that 1 thing ever? that would be BORING

I could make a joke here

You don't really "main" that way

Just now, jan Mele said:

I could make a joke here

You don't really "main" that way

yes i do, other wise i would have said every character, one can in fact main more then 1 thing, but it seems you have not been gifted whit that ability

3 minutes ago, Echsrick said:

yes i do, other wise i would have said every character, one can in fact main more then 1 thing, but it seems you have not been gifted whit that ability

LOL

Yeah, yeah, you are very... gifted (apologies if it's too much)

I mean, you're not the one making the polls. It's more about specializing in a character.

Just now, jan Mele said:

LOL

Yeah, yeah, you are very... gifted (apologies)

I mean, you're not the one making the polls. It's more about specializing in a character.

and i specialize in more then 1, since i am flexable in chosing a character

1 minute ago, Echsrick said:

its my main character pool

Um. Could you define "maining"? I think we're not talking about the same thing

I'd say it's honing your skill at playing the game using specific characters, like, not 7 of them or how much you listed

1 minute ago, jan Mele said:

Um. Could you define "maining"? I think we're not talking about the same thing

I'd say it's honing your skill at playing the game using specific characters, like, not 7 of them or how much you listed

only using 1 character to main is what makes one less skilled in a game, so its best to know more then one characters in and outs, that way its flexible, and to not pick a character that someone else allready uses, we dont need the 5th of that same character in a server, or if other characters are allready in there, a way to counter act that is a good idea, tahts why having more then 1 main is the only true way

Just now, Echsrick said:

only using 1 character to main is what makes one less skilled in a game, so its best to know more then one characters in and outs, that way its flexible, and to not pick a character that someone else allready uses, we dont need the 5th of that same character in a server, or if other characters are allready in there, a way to counter act that is a good idea, tahts why having more then 1 main is the only true way

ehh, sure

I dont really want Wilson to change himself too much. What I do want is for the rest of the casts downsides to be more significant, so that Wilson having no downsides actually has some merit.

Right now when I want to play DST with non intrusive downsides I just pick Winona, Woodie or Willow.

A Wigfrid-style refresh could work on him as well, where you could just ignore the new stuff if you wanted to. Crafting blueprints for others is my favourite idea.

I will wait until Klei reworks Wilson before I decide what changes I want done to the rework.. but I’m hoping for crazy mad science lab potion stuff because- well just Go look at the dudes animations/vignettes
Something like Mad Science Lab from Hallowed Nights would be neat for him.

The way to rework Wilson is simple.

Wilson is the titular character of Don't Starve, the first character in the selection screen, and the character that's featured in most of the shorts and promotional art, and thus, is what most people are going to pick the first when picking this game.

Thus, he should have the gameplay Klei thinks suits the best for a first experience, or "the default way of playing Don't Starve".

He can have some minor perks, like the beard that gives free insulation, maybe allow him to craft telltale hearts for half the health...

But there is a demand of a "Vanilla" character experience, without any character perk that gets too in the way, and allows you to experience the game more raw features.

He can have some minor perks to give him flavor, but nothing really game-changing, otherwise, the purpose of the character would be lost.

Archived