Bottomless fire pit

26 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Actually didn't know and happy to find this out. I don't have time to check atm but how do you earn rewards points if you don't mind me asking.

Yea as others have said, usually when a new update is pushed out there is a link on the forum post. 

This thread should be helpful: 

That said most update links are only valid for like a month or 2, so its best to click them when they are first posted. Unfortunatley its rather hard to amass enough for all the skins unless you have been collecting the points from the beginning.

What id like to see is klei let users earn klei points from watching twitch streams in the time between active skin campaigns.

9 minutes ago, PetulantPansy said:

If DST were made free to play and all the skins were made free 3 years from now, would you have issues with that? As a person who spends actual money on the game and the skin packs when they come out, I'm sure some people would have issues with that. Obviously this would be an exaggeration in comparison to what the early access people (from a $ standpoint) would feel but the same principle applies. 

First of all I hope DST never goes completely free to play..

Secondly- I pre-ordered State of Decay 2 Ultimate Edition.. I paid EXTRA for the DLC that wasn’t included in that UE.. and then when the Developers Remastered the game in a completely free update with a new graphics and physics engine- they gave EVERYONE who owned SoD2 rather they pre-ordered UE or not, the pre-order bonuses & the UE DLC and the DLC I paid extra for that wasn’t part of the UE for Free.

Did I complain? Absolutely not.. why? Because instead of begging my friends to buy the dlc they could just play it with me, and instead of having mostly empty dlc lobbies since everyone got it free lobbies were more populated by players.

Does this example apply to a skin in DST? No.. but it’s the closest comparison I can draw of where I paid money for something people eventually got free anyway.

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well said. Too add to that, I wouldn't be upset if all the skins I paid for were made free (which is like..70% of em :wilsondisapproving:) because you can weave them already, i paid to get them quickly like JoeDub said. I also have watched every Twitch stream and wasn't upset when they all came onto the rewards page. I got all the exclusive items that were dropped during old events and didn't care when they got released. I think it's great practice by Klei and I'm with it an will continue to support the game until the day I stop. 

Edit: Except Wolfgang rework. Yall goofy for that. 

13 minutes ago, PetulantPansy said:

I understand where you're coming from - I really do. But another truth of life is that a lot of things become cheaper and more accessible over time, as soon as the system becomes stable enough to allow it. In this sense, should the owners of things be upset that they paid more for something that became more affordable later? Perhaps due to these first investments? You can do that, absolutely. But it seems to me that by talking about early access, many people forget the most important thing that they got for this money. Early access. They enjoyed owning a thing when no one else could. Even if the game becomes free, you still owned it longer and played it longer, and it brought you three years more joy. It's kinda the core of this - you could wait these three years and get the thing for free, or pay and get it here and now. Honestly, it's rather strange that time as an irreplaceable resource is not taken into account as something worthy of value in this discussion.

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

snip

This is similar to how I personally feel about this sort of thing. Something similar happens in MMOs frequently: new, cutting edge content becomes old content, and changes gradually occur -- either naturally just through power progression, or by the devs' choice in the form of tuning content down to be more accessible -- that inevitably mean more people will have access to said content's rewards. Do the trophies themselves look and feel less special when more people have them? Sure, and sometimes even to a point that can make me a little bit salty for a short while. But I know what I did to get my shiny, I got to enjoy my peacocking during a time when people knew what it meant, and I'll have a story and experience that the people around me don't, and can share that with people who appreciate those things (and to their chagrin, even people who don't).

"beta tester" here

I got the game in early access because I enjoyed RoG and had a friend I wanted to play with. I didn't do it to help find bugs or test the game for others, let alone for a slightly different firepit. In fact, I initially thought skins were dumb and wanted nothing to do with them. In any case I'd rather have nothing be time limited than everything be. The only things I'd be comfortable time-limiting are profile icons and backgrounds, and even then, only if the non-limited ones are good

if you want your base to stand out, put some actual aesthetic sensibility into it, don't rely on other people noticing the firepit is slightly different and hope that's what impresses them unless you are hoping they'll think "wow this guy has been playing since launch and his bases still look that messy"

it's the whole extrinsic vs intrinsic validation thing

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

That being said. I personally would like to see something that better shows that people had the original timeless variants of skins. But I don't know how or if that will ever happen. 

Me too, maybe something like the glint thing mentioned on the first page?

Something minor for the OGs to just be like "I was there man!"

Just now, kirihime said:

if you want your base to stand out, put some actual aesthetic sensibility into it,

I like the different chest skins so I can organize things. The paintbrush skin is nice since it looks like a brush instead of a featherduster. :wilson_ecstatic:

Spoiler

5c17473c6c57e_ConstantskinpaintbrusheswithKonstantine.thumb.png.71868b942b234ac14abd8c1bb9ea536d.png

4 minutes ago, Terra B Welch said:

Me too, maybe something like the glint thing mentioned on the first page?

Something minor for the OGs to just be like "I was there man!"

please no, I don't want my base glowing
i already don't use those sheens in tf2 because I found them distracting

maybe have an "inspect" thing that tells you the base item and what skin from what collection is being used on it, so you can see the quality, that way it's has a use outside of allowing older players to show that they are indeed older

this is the profile background i use, make one that's essentially the same as this but with the bottomless fire pit and hand it out to everyone who had the thing originally and I will be more than satisfied but i'll continue to use this one as it captures the pub feel better

profile.png.45d14f1b2a833eaf0893cad65bd09d26.png

one other thing that isn't really mentioned in these sorts of things is that having something exclusive kind of obligates you to use it even if you don't really like it.
I like the mini monument firepit more but i always feel a slight pang of guilt for using it because it's something that almost everyone has
bottomless firepit being everywhere means i no longer need to feel guilty about not using it, and can save it for situations where i actually like how it looks

15 hours ago, flyingfishlyl said:

lost its value immediately.

nobody actually cares what skins you do/don't have. Besides how can something that's untradeable have value. I own that wierd crabbit pack proof of purchase skin but i think it should be added to the reward page.

3 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

nobody actually cares what skins you do/don't have.

So why do they need to be available if nobody cares about skins? I've seen multiple people comment on other player's skins, you're conflating "I" with "everyone".

3 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

Besides how can something that's untradeable have value.

You can trade accounts lol. You're also robotically and emotionessly acting like nothing in the world matters except money for some reason.

5 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Can u pls show me how to enable the setting that lets people see a skin's rarity?

Assuming this is a genuine question—it's not a setting. People can view the rarity in your Steam Inventory. If someone is intent on boasting they can just direct people there.

Just now, Zeklo said:

Assuming this is a genuine question—it's not a setting. People can view the rarity in your Steam Inventory. If someone is intent on boasting they can just direct people there.

Exactly. Nobody can see that it's a different rarity. Item rarity doesn't matter at all.

31 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Exactly. Nobody can see that it's a different rarity. Item rarity doesn't matter at all.

If people are intent on showing they're "EA Players", yes it does matter. All it takes to prove I'm an EA Player is to direct people there. Done.

Sure it's not something that can be done simply in-game, but proving "EA Player-credibility" isn't exactly a necessary feature.

4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You're also robotically and emotionessly acting like nothing in the world matters except money for some reason.

Ur gonna get the thread locked again. Quit it with the hostilitally. My point was OP is sayin it shouldn't be availble to everybody my point is it's extremely trival and nobody actually cares. If it were a character, or item or something that effects gameplay in any other way you would be upset about it, so why is a skin allowed to be exlusive?

2 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

Ur gonna get the thread locked again. Quit it with the hostilitally. My point was OP is sayin it shouldn't be availble to everybody my point is it's extremely trival and nobody actually cares. If it were a character, or item or something that effects gameplay in any other way you would be upset about it, so why is a skin allowed to be exlusive?

If the skin is extremely trivial and nobody cares why do you care so much that it should be available?

Just now, Cheggf said:

If the skin is extremely trivial and nobody cares why do you care so much that it should be available?

Personally I don't care it's avalible now, stone torch and other fireplace look better, but I know a lot of people like the look of it and i think it's very selfish other people don't want others to have access to it for whatever reason.

9 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

Personally I don't care it's avalible now, stone torch and other fireplace look better, but I know a lot of people like the look of it and i think it's very selfish other people don't want others to have access to it for whatever reason.

So people do care and you just keep repeating that nobody cares for no reason, and are now hypocritically calling people selfish because you're upset about being called out for lying (not even seeing the irony of calling others selfish because you want to have everything).

What happened to being worried about getting the thread locked?

Add a "Slightly better person" badge under the character portrait for players who were around in the EA. Boom. Problem solved.

Spoiler

I would not mind since I was playing the EA version, although that statement goes without saying. I don't care if previously exclusive skins are available for new players since it must kind of suck hard of you missed out on them. Whatever. Peace. Enjoy the wonderful latest patch. :wilson_love:

Just now, Cheggf said:

So people do care and you just keep repeating that nobody cares for no reason, and are now hypocritically attaching mean words because you're angry about being called out for lying (not even seeing the irony of calling others selfish because you want to have everything).

What happened to being worried about getting the thread locked?

what? what are you even saying? What part of "who cares" do you not understand? It's a skin get over yourself.

Just now, hhh2 said:

what? what are you even saying? What part of "who cares" do you not understand? It's a skin get over yourself.

Say that to yourself, dude. You have spent an entire page ""arguing""  about a skin in a videogame. You clearly care. Everyone clearly cares, we are about to be on page 8 of a single thread about it.

1 minute ago, Cheggf said:

Say that to yourself, dude. 

I think we're at the part that we realize we've been having discourse about something silly and I'd offer to buy you a beer and we laugh about how silly we were being. 

Archived