Bottomless fire pit

9 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Isn't it though? The reason some people think this is so egregious is because they feel they've done something special to deserve the exclusivity. I feel like the fact that you didn't have to spend a penny, contribute in any meaningful way, or even actually play makes the intensity of some people's outrage over it a bit silly. You literally just had to be there and aware, making it no more special than any of the other previously time-limited rewards that are now available through other means.

I dont care that the skin was released, but saying you did nothing for getting an early access reward is minimizing beta testers importance. Beta testers payed full price for a game that was in an unfinished state to help klei fund the game and finish it all the while having the option to provide important feedback to bring you the game we play today. Having an exclusive item for players good faith during that period is reasonable.

2 minutes ago, sudoku said:

I dont care that the skin was released, but saying you did nothing for getting an early access reward is minimizing beta testers importance. Beta testers payed full price for a game that was in an unfinished state to help klei fund the game and finish it all the while providing important feedback to bring you the game we play today. Having an exclusive item for players good faith during that period is reasonable.

3 minutes ago, Ohan said:

What about me and other players like me who payed for it and whos formative DST playing experience was during EA?

Does the whole class get invalidated because a few students, ummm, poured glue on the teacher’s seat? If u catch my drift. 

I'm not saying you necessarily did nothing, just that you didn't have to do anything. If anything minimizes beta testers' or early adopters' importance, its how exclusive this skin already wasn't.

Just now, Faintly Macabre said:

I'm not saying you necessarily did nothing, just that you didn't have to do anything. If anything minimizes beta testers' or early adopters' importance, its how exclusive this skin already wasn't.

I think it's not about achievement, but rather about rarity

1 minute ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Yeah and no one had to buy the game while it was in early access and unfinished either, the reward was an acknowledgement of support from klei, even if it only boils down to being financial.

It just feels like the PC players just want to keep the skin to themselves. I play on console (PS4), so it would be impossble for me to get that skin on the system I am playing. There are also other skins I can't get because of Sony and their issue with codes in game. In the long run I don't see how letting everyone use the skin take away from the EA players. If it bothers EA players that much then item rarity should have a certain text color or skin shine in game.

6 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Were u a beta tester? 

Not that whether I was or wasn't would change the validity of the point you're singling out there, but

image.png.26a0f2099d52b0409a94d746cfd7972f.png

I've also done plenty of bug reporting and troubleshooting for the single player version of the game, including digging into the game's guts and isolating exact issues for the devs.

7 minutes ago, sudoku said:

Yeah and no one had to buy the game while it was in early access and unfinished either, the reward was an acknowledgement of support from klei, even if it only boils down to being financial.

You seem to be missing the part where you don't actually have to have supported the game to have it, financially or otherwise.

I never asked for WeGame release skins to be available to us as they were supposed to be exclusive but bottomless firepit still had higher importance as it signified EA of DST when DS was a better game and before caves were added if i remember correctly.

I don't really want to repeat what i have said multiple times already but this all comes down to a large number of people just wanting to have something that they can't get, that's kind of basic human nature even if you get a worse product, just because it was exclusive you want it more.

It was just one skin and EA players couldn't even get to keep that, while i've never seen anything like this happening in other games.

2 minutes ago, Kyriena said:

I play on console (PS4), so it would be impossble for me to get that skin on the system I am playing. There are also other skins I can't get because of Sony and their issue with codes in game.

How is that always PC player’s fault? Whenever something like this comes up console players love pointing out how they actually have it worse. Thats nobody’s fault but sony’s/xbox’/nintendo’s etc. 

If you were an EA player on console then u also deserve the skin. If whatever byzantine /arcane circumstances made it impossible for klei to give skins on consoles then what do u want us to say? It doesnt change the fact that the bottomless pit was supposed to be an EA gift. 

2 hours ago, PetulantPansy said:

All the arguments i see are along the lines of "i wasnt around when it came out but i still want it". I mean.... get real? Thats how life works.

And???? This is a horrible mindset. This doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to make stuff readily accessible to ppl. Continuing your adobe flash example, should people have not archived flash games and made ways to play them after the deletion of flash just because “you missed your chance, that’s life!!!”

3 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Then you are entitled to your opinion that the bottomless pit was meaningless. That doesnt make it a fact that invalidates every other opinion. As an EA player it was special to me. 

11 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Then you are entitled to your opinion that the bottomless pit was meaningless. That doesnt make it a fact that invalidates every other opinion. As an EA player it was special to me. 

I didn't say it was meaningless; I just called into question one of the arguments being made for why this skin should be so exclusive. You just don't like my perspective, so you're putting words in my mouth. You did the same thing here

17 minutes ago, Ohan said:

How is that always PC player’s fault? Whenever something like this comes up console players love pointing out how they actually have it worse. Thats nobody’s fault but sony’s/xbox’/nintendo’s etc. 

Nobody said anything was PC players' fault. They were just pointing out that this decision benefitted some people in a group who despite possibly being equally deserving were not equally fortunate. How was that implied to be a reflection on you in any way?

Just a little insight here. I am very much oversimplifying because I could talk about this kind of thing all day. So don't take it as the whole story. 

The original plan for skins called for a lot of FOMO and a lot of perceived value in items. 

This never really felt good, and so we have been peeling back away from that for years now. 50+ bucks for a skin? This kind of thing is necessary for steam marketplace skins to "work". But it felt crappy to almost everybody. Everybody BUT the people that had the items. 

We still allow a little bit of FOMO in the sense that people can have items by paying for them, or getting them early in one way or the other, and then eventually other people get access for them too. But we have been working for a while to make it easier for people to eventually get the skins they want, no matter what. 

I think about it this way. Part of the appeal of an item for a lot of people is to have something special and unique. And with that, this means that some people are a little unhappy because they don't have that thing. That's how it works. You have to be a little unhappy about what you don't have, to be happy about what you do have. 

That's not a BAD thing really. Personally I love having something because I did the thing. I watched the stream or I was a big enough fan to go and get the exclusive whatchamacallit at PAX in 2015. I also enjoy WANTING the thing. I like seeing what others have because it motivates me to go out and get it at well, or even something BETTER!. 

The truth is - part of the enjoyment of having the thing, is wanting other things. You get to be the one with THAT thing. 

Anyway - it just doesn't mesh with the way we do things. We're not optimizing skins for sales or FOMO. We're optimizing for enjoyment of the system. We want people to like skins in a way that they want them, but not in a way that promotes an unhealthy relationship with them. 

Also note, that when Tencent had skins that only they could get for their launch of the game people got quite upset and we were careful to not have time limited exclusive skins again. 

So yes, the bottomless pit perceived value was diminished. Just like we did for just about every other item in the game like it at this point. 

That being said. I personally would like to see something that better shows that people had the original timeless variants of skins. But I don't know how or if that will ever happen. 

perhaps OP is convinced random players were very impressed and jealous of his firepit skin...

Spoiler

or perhaps all they saw was a firepit and couldn't care less.

If you are looking for recognition and respect, dont starve skins really aren't the way to it

17 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

I just called into question one of the arguments being made for why this skin should be so exclusive. You just don't like my perspective, so you're putting words in my mouth. You did the same thing here

You called it into question by presenting ur opinion that fringe cases were people got DST for free and didnt play in the EA invalidated the importance of all EA players across the board, or rather invalidated the exclusivity of an EA gift, as self evident. my opinion as another ea player is that it was special. 

How am i putting words in your mouth when i say ur opinion boils down to “bottomless pit = meaningless/not really worthy of exclusivity? How is that an unexpected jump/conclusion? 

17 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Nobody said anything was PC players' fault. They were just pointing out that this decision benefitted some people in a group who despite possibly being equally deserving were not equally fortunate. How was that implied to be a reflection on you in any way?

Let me repeat myself by saying ofcourse console EA players shouldve gotten the skin. Period. 

The skin now becoming available to everyone including console ea players comes at the cost of the exclusivity of the skin for PC EA players. Why do PC players have to pay for sony’s/console’s inadequacies? 

Like i said, just because console players had no way to get the skin does not change the fact that it was intended for EA players only. Its not a faultless argument to dismiss PC EA player’s disappointment. Or invalidate it. 

54 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

this all comes down to a large number of people just wanting to have something that they can't get, that's kind of basic human nature even if you get a worse product, just because it was exclusive you want it more.

It sounds like you're rejecting the idea that someone might want it just because they like the picture.

Hell, this thread is such a mess. And because of what? Because Klei once again show how generous and stand-out from the rest of the gaming companies they are? They have done a lot to make sure that most of the content is available to the maximum number of players. This has always been their policy, as opposed to multiplying microtransactions and pay to win in other gaming circles. This is what made it possible to enjoy the game even for those who didn't have enough money for it. This is a huge rarity in today's society. So it's almost surreal to see them being blamed for being kind to their players.

And if you think a thing has lost its value just because more people can enjoy it now, I wonder if it was ever valuable to you in the first place. Because most of the arguments in favor of maintaining the restriction are not even about the skin itself. It's about what this skin symbolized. Whereas those who asked for it to come back most likely just like its image. To be realistic, if you were a tester and spent time with this game that is precious to you - no one will take that away from you. And you still enjoyed this skin longer than those who got it just now. Several years is enough for the player base to significantly change, some of those who participated in the very first beta may not even be playing now. To get upset because the game supports those who play here and now, in honor of the finally added crossplatforming, which was also prayed for who knows how long, is just so... petty. 

Owning something rare can be nice, sure. But it's a joy based on the fact that others won't get it, as opposed to enjoying the thing, just because you like it on its own. Which is something I will never understand in people. You say others wanted it just because it was exclusive. But it seems to me that the only ones who thought so are those who feel the need to defend themselves now.

Just now, Mysterious box said:

Reading this all I'm  thinking is does this mean twitch skins will be available for none twitch users in the future?

sure? Just collect klei points and buy them on the rewards page? Unless im not understanding what you mean by twitch skins

51 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

i've never seen anything like this happening in other games.

Smite, Apex Legends.

in fact with that first one I mentioned- even if you miss out on getting skins in the battle pass when that battle pass was available you can get them later in the in-game store for what is roughly twice the price of the original battle pass- And that’s just for ONE skin not all of the ones you would’ve got had you paid into and completed the entire battle pass.

My point here is that game companies realized that they can make money &/or keep people playing their game longer by rereleasing those skins at a higher cost.

Sure Your mad for being a loyal Klei supporter back in 2014.. but what about the loyal supporters in 2022? 

To get the skins you have to keep up with Klei’s social platforms & redeem it off their sight: If anything this is more Loyality rewards than someone who bought DS ages ago played it a few times, was given DST free played it once and then hadn’t played since.

Atleast to get it NOW you have to be relatively active on the forums/social sites & think in the end: that’s all Klei wanted.

1 minute ago, Lokena said:

They have done a lot to make sure that most of the content is available to the maximum number of players. This has always been their policy

Joe literally two posts above yours said how this is only a recent development. Why else would they have given out EA skins to begin with? Have you forgotten the extremely long era of absolute Guest of Honor scarcity/rarity? When the only option was to pay €50 on the steam market to get them or get extremely lucky? 

should we expect the PAX skins to be put on the rewards page now too? The funko skins perhaps? 

Archived