[Game Update] - 497403

2 hours ago, ScottHansen said:
  • Late hound waves have some groups of hounds condensed into Varglets, smaller cousin to the Varg.

This is how Varglet spawning works.  During a hound wave, every player on the server will be assigned a number of spawns.  This number is first determined by the number of days a player has survived on the server:

Days Survived |  Spawns
--------------------------
     < 10      |     1
     < 25      |    2-4
     < 50      |    3-6
     < 100     |    4-7
    >= 100     |    6-10

* Caveat: If a player just joined a server, such that the warnings for an incoming hound wave have already passed or if they survived for shorter than the minimum delay between hound waves, then that player will be assigned 0 spawns.

When a hound wave occurs, players are allocated into groups.  If a player is within 20 game units of another player (1 wall = 1 game unit), then they'll be part of the same group.  The total spawns in a group is simply the sum of all spawns for each player in the group.  

Group Spawns = Sum of Player Spawns (from that Group)

However, if the group size is greater than 1, then the number of spawns for that group is reduced to:

Group Spawns (rounded down to nearest integer) = Group Spawns ^ (1 / (0.95+0.05*Group Size))

If the number of spawns for a group is reduced to less than the number of players in that group, then the spawns for the group becomes:

Group Spawns = Group Size

The spawns for a group is further reduced if there are one or more Wes in the group.  Recall that one of Wes's "perks" is he attracts more hounds, which actually means that he can "steal" some spawns from other players.

Group Spawns = Group Spawns - Group Size
Extra Spawns (for Wes) = Extra Spawns + Group Size

The Group Spawns are then reassigned back to each player in the group (skewed towards Wes who has double the weight of distribution compared to other characters).  The game then distributes the Extra Spawns to any Wes-es on the server (not just the Wes from the group where he "stole" spawns).

Now that the number of spawns is determined for each player, the game decides on what to spawn (Varglet, Hound, or Red/Blue Hound) to attack each group.  The chance of a Varglet spawning is:

Remaining Spawns | Chance of
  (for a Player)  |  Varglet
------------------------------
      >= 8        |    70%
       = 7        |    30%
       = 6        |    15%
       = 5        |     5%
       < 5        |     0%

Each time a Varglet is spawned, the number of remaining spawns for a player is reduced by 5.  Otherwise, a hound is spawned (the criteria/chances for spawning a red/blue vs a normal hound is the same as before) and the number of remaining spawns is reduced by 1.

Of note, the chances of spawning a Varglet is identical to the chance of spawning a Varg from yesterday's patch (though Varglets now replace Vargs in hound waves).  However, the frequency of hound waves was changed (as noted in the patch notes in the first post). 

Varglets are simply a Varg that's been scaled down to 75% of its size.  But, it has lower health (600 vs 1800 for a Varg), moves faster (8 speed vs 5.5 for a Varg), and can have a maximum of 3 hounds spawned (vs no maximum for a Varg).

EDIT:

50 minutes ago, PeiperPires said:
1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i always though vargs have a limit on hounds spawned at once

I think they meant how many hounds they can spawn. The varg can keep howling after their hounds are dead, while the varglet can only call 3 hounds and is done 

That's exactly what I meant.  I worded that sentence poorly.  I've amended it above to be clearer.

Edited by Instant-Noodles
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 7
  • Sanity 1
  • Big Ups 3

15 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i always though vargs have a limit on hounds spawned at once

I think they meant how many hounds they can spawn. The varg can keep howling after their hounds are dead, while the varglet can only call 3 hounds and is done 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Will there ever be a purpose to spawning the varg? Seems his loot is the same as hounds so why go thru the trouble of killing him? Unless his he's meant to be a trap like stepping on a landmine, just sad that you can't get like a special tooth from him or his pelt for winter or something.

2 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Late hound waves have some groups of hounds condensed into Varglets, smaller cousin to the Varg.

On 2/28/2022 at 2:54 PM, Maxil20 said:

I feel like the easiest way to "fix" them is reduce their HP from 1800 to 600 HP, cap the max amount you can get to 1(*), and the total amount of hounds they summon per howl by 1.

I appreciate seeing you guys respond to feedback and making some nice changes! This makes them feel way more tame and alright. The increase in the time it takes for hound waves to spawn is a nice touch, too : )

*While you can technically get more then 1 solo, the chances of that happening are Incredibly low, with having to both get a 10 hound wave and roll a 5% chance on the second varg spawn.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SomebodyRandom said:

So I tried the attack by holding mouse feature and it actually lets you kite then it'll attack automatically for you! This is so helpful for multiple targets, thanks Klei!

Wait what? It dodges for you? Like a duelist?

• Wavey 1

Just now, Well-met said:

Wait what? It dodges for you? Like a duelist?

No, if you hold the attack button it will automatically attack but you can move and when you let go of the movement keys, it'll automatically hit the same target. This is the better than holding F because F can retarget in a group of enemies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

no, you can move and when you stop moving you atack, the same as F

Not exactly the same as F. Holding the mouse button will highlight the mob you're trying to focus and it'll prioritize hitting that mob if it's close enough to you.

• Like 2

It would be cool if Wolfgang still did his usual form changing animation while standing still, but if he starts moving he'll have a small unique run that he can still cancel if he wants. Like when he goes wimpy he starts running like he's out of breath, and when he goes mighty he flexes while he runs. All of this can be cancelled with an action, but I feel something like that would be able to allow Wolfgang to not freeze in place while not looking jarring. 
Probably too out there though

• Like 1

Thanks so much klei for the the amount of work in this QOL and all the changes and fixes! Also the hot fixes every day nearly feel like updates themself. 

I think I can't play on the standard branch anymore :D

PS: Craftable archive-turf maybe? Please :-D

Edited by lionking102
  • Like 4
  • Big Ups 1
  • Potato Cup 1

34 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

I think One Man Band should definitely go to the farming filter too if it isn't there already

Probably all musical instruments should.

Looking forwards to newbie using Panflute on their farm plants.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2