[Game Update] - 497403

IMO Vargs aren't supposed to be useful, not everything needs to or should be ultimately beneficial to the player after all. In general I think this is a step in the right direction However Hound waves to me still need to be made more of a active (perhaps more infrequent) threat, rather then a obnoxious nuisance in late game. I understand the need of a active resource sink such as them to disallow players to stagnate, but even when unprepared unless your on a boat they're rarely something you can't just flee from and come back later to deal with. 

Seems like barely anyone talked about it but how intentional was it really to rob all the basic seafaring tools from Think Tank into requiring no science? I mean I do appreciate being able to do seafaring without ever needing a Think Thank but it feels way too cheap and Think Thank seems largely obsolete till you want the masts. Besides 16 logs is way more inconvenient to collect from a crashed boar site than four boards. 

Honestly this change feels largely needless and we would be fine with boat kit, wooden oar and driftwood oar still requiring a think tank in my opinion. Besides isn't Driftwood oar supposed to be the luxury variant of oar, is it really consistent that a luxury tool requires no science?

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Honestly this change feels largely needless and we would be fine with boat kit, wooden oar and driftwood oar still requiring a think tank in my opinion. Besides isn't Driftwood oar supposed to be the luxury variant of oar, is it really consistent that a luxury tool requires no science?

I'm okay with boat and wooden oar being science less, but I agree driftwood oar should require the think tank.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Seems like barely anyone talked about it but how intentional was it really to rob all the basic seafaring tools from Think Tank into requiring no science? I mean I do appreciate being able to do seafaring without ever needing a Think Thank but it feels way too cheap and Think Thank seems largely obsolete till you want the masts. Besides 16 logs is way more inconvenient to collect from a crashed boar site than four boards. 

I really don't care about needing science for seafaring crafting or not, but please, let boats be just 4 boards again. Now we have 1.25 boats per slot vs the previous 2.5 boats!!!

Or maybe let us have 40 logs per slot.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Lil K said:

I really don't care about needing science for seafaring crafting or not, but please, let boats be just 4 boards again. Now we have 1.25 boats per slot vs the previous 2.5 boats!!!

Or maybe let us have 40 logs per slot.

How are you gonna make Boards without science?

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

but it feels way too cheap and Think Thank seems largely obsolete till you want the masts.

is that an issue? the basic boating tools we're used to have now become early game boating tools, while stuff like masts and anchors and such are mid-game boating tools, until finally the malbatross gear is late-game boating tools. this is consistent with the changes boats have been receiving lately like faster rowing, boats now have a clear sense of progression and i love it a lot and really hope it doesnt change!! i love the ocean a lot and im glad that i can go out to sea immediately to start my game now, would be a shame if it went back to having to gather the resources for a science machine just for the initial boat (which leads to the thought of well while im at it i might as well make an alchemy engine too, hm well then im getting lots of rocks i should make a firepit, and well a crock pot would be nice too, well lets go ahead and get that anchor etc etc and then youve spent days just preparing for the boating you wanted to do in the first place)

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Besides isn't Driftwood oar supposed to be the luxury variant of oar, is it really consistent that a luxury tool requires no science?

i dont think seeing the driftwood oar as strictly a "luxury oar" is really accurate. i feel like the intention behind the driftwood oar being scienceless too is that driftwood spawns around you while youre out at sea, and since the boats are scienceless now it would suck a lot if you couldnt actually make that driftwood into oars and could end up stranded out there despite oar materials being thrown at you constantly. im sure klei has considered these types of things when choosing which boat items to remove from the think tank

Edited by meow meow meow
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, QuartzBeam said:

How are you gonna make Boards without science?

Boons commonly have board drops. Pig houses and such can be hammered down for boards. I think I'm convinced now that the three essential boating tools can be Think Tankless out of convenience but I don't think that should necessitate boat kit being made out of logs. It wouldn't be so illogical to me that Boat Kits wouldn't require a think tank but would ask for you to obtain boards either through a science machine or nature. Or boat kit itself could be a science 1 tier item (kinda like shovel) since we no longer have crafting tabs and it wouldn't be strange that an object previously in the seafaring tab could require a science machine instead of think tank.

These boating changes were made with convenience in mind but boats dropping 16 logs and overall characters requiring more slots for a boat kit isn't very convenient. Making it require science machine directly or by proxy seems like a nice midway solution to me.

• Like 3