Wilson Rework?

5 minutes ago, BezKa said:

I mean as the poster character Wilson is going to have a high play rate. The question is why he is being played as you put it.

4 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

hrough implementing more useful quotes (even for obscure things)

This is probably my favorite suggestion for Wilson, although his sassy dialogue is too charming to take away imo as it's what made the game special to me. Really like this idea though.

I get really sick of every thread turning into a Wendy teaches you nothing thread- as a Wendy Main that is a straight up LIE, you will learn the kiting patterns of every enemy in the game, you will learn which ones you can hit a few more times, and which ones you should just send Abigail after- Treeguard VS swarm of angry Bees.

You will ALSO (and very early on I might add..) learn the importance behind flowers, head garlands, and top hats- Why?? Because Wendy’s “kit” guarantees you’ll be picking up a bunch of them.

Pre-Rework Wendy also would teach you how to Kite enemies to another player or into traps- because that’s how Abigail USE to Work, you had to line enemies up WITH Abigail and Run them Into her.

Everything I learned while playing as Wendy, EVERYTHING I applied to playing as Wes- and can do so just fine.

Wilson on the other hand- teaches you next to nothing except grow your hair out for the upcoming Winter so you stay warm.

You heard me- the first challenge of the game where most the noobs QUIT Playing Winter- Wilson gets a nice little extra bit of Warmth to survive which grows out over time.. When Winter comes as Wendy, Abigail isn’t going to protect you from freezing in the cold.

And you can say just kill X, X or do Y and Craft A,B,C, D- But that’s YOU looking at the game from the point of view as an Experienced Player, You have long forgotten the first day you started playing & the struggle you will have learning- That Wendy player will freeze to death.. there’s no amount of beard or unshaved leg hair that’s going to help her with that.. and the ONLY thing Abigail is going to do is float around taunting your dead ghost when you do.

These reworks have also been a way for Klei to add new exciting content, or new exciting ways to play the game for those of us on Xbox/PS4 and can’t just simply make our own Modded characters- it’s a way of giving US more to do with & enjoy the game- without needing to buy a PC & download a ton of unofficial content mods.

Wilsons Rework- Should add fun new content, If WES could be reworked to be more fun… so to can Wilson.

I'd kinda like him to be able to remember stats of items and food he wears/uses. If he has come into contact with it, it will show itself for the rest of his playtime(not carried between worlds). If he holds an axe he'll know it does x amount of damage, if he holds a cane he'll know it gives a speed bonus. If he eats a mushroom, any further ones he picks up will show what they give. He'd have to eat it or wear it first though. Skilled players won't need it and it wouldn't really intrude too much on his playstyle, and new players can have an easier time juggling all the clashing information they have to deal with. 

Maybe bring back the research mechanic where he can destroy a wearable item at a science machine to get this effect or a Wilson specific station that requires gears to make.

It'd also be funny to have his beard come to life with a science potion to make it smack enemies for a time but that'd change him too much.

8 hours ago, maradyne said:

I'd like to see him be able to make blueprints for people. The other survivors (and he himself) talk about how he invented a few things in their arsenal, apparently sharing it with them, and it'd be a nice Multiplayer touch without actually changing his design.

I like this idea of giving him a new ability while keeping his simplicity as a basic character. The blueprints thing would solve the issue of a group of people fighting bee queen together but only one of them getting a bundle wrap blueprint--obviously there would be some restrictions on how many blueprints he can make but it would give some more value to a bland character.

It really should just be a "refresh" like Wigfrid's...no impact on the character's balance of skills and weaknesses, plus we would get a new animated short :-D

Funny thing...
I started out as a Wendy main and ended up being a Wigfrid main for a long time after that. And Wortox remains my favorite 'I don't know what I want to do so I'm just gonna push this button' character.

No matter who you pick, whether you learn the game while playing them is a matter of whether the game can entice you into stepping out of your comfort zone.

I like the idea of Wilson getting some small touches because it can help ease new players into the concept of each character having their own strengths to play to. But also...because if he gets team support stuff, we can also play Wilson and help those new players help themselves.

I just want more people to get far enough into the game that they get hooked before they can ragequit, haha. Appeal to the new market and all that.

Rework? No

Some crafts that focus on healing? Yes

Making him a semi-medic would be a great role, as the healing would be super beneficial to both the team, and players just starting out. Now players can experiment more with combat, without being overly punished for just trying. 

If Wilson is gonna keep his shtick as the default character, I think an interesting addition would him spawning with an Almanac or something that is basically a pseudo-but-not-really pocket Wiki for new players that grows over time based on examining objects and stuff. It'd be like a bestiary for all the mobs along with points of interest or world changes, such as the oasis pond and moon stone or hound waves and changing seasons. Hints or light pushes towards how to interact with objects could be put there without changing a character's quotes, but I don't know how it'd work in practice.

1 hour ago, Scrubsberry said:

pseudo-but-not-really pocket Wiki for new players that grows over time based on examining objects and stuff

I would like such thing to show only essential information (for mobs - image, health, whether is immune to fire/freezing/sleep if tested, loot if was killed at least once; for ocean fish - image, shadow while in the ocean, loot; crock pot value ingredient has and exact spoilage time; etc.) and empty spaces to write custom commentary, after all Wilson wanted become a scientist, and it's important for scientists to record information, assumptions to verify, etc.

I would also like for every character something like diary as QoL so one can write in-game what one was doing and going to do on that particular server for the next play session in case they are days/weeks apart. Describtion works, but only if one is host.

Edit: I would like Wilson to not gain any power related to shadows and nightmare throne as a confirmation that he didn't accept any deals or offers, and learned from his failure when Maxwell deceived him; also I would like Wilson to get character development in a way that he wanted to become scientist and decided to do it on his own, unlike in the past when he was ok with effortless gain when somebody else seemed to promise to do all the work instead of Wilson himself.

8 hours ago, cropo said:

unless you have the patience to baby them through constant dying in the beginner stages of the game. In which case, you are the one teaching them, not their character.

Have you ever actually taught someone the basics of DST? This is what happens for all new players, including Wendy players.

Wilson has my some of my favorite lines and design in the game (his skins, his voice) but he's pretty bland to play as. I started to play with 4 friends who were new to the game and I could not convince a single one of them to play as Wilson. I myself don't play as Wilson simply because his charm isn't enough to compensate being boring to play as.

I don't really understand the argument of keeping him bland and generic for being the mascot, I really don't get why those two things would be related.

18 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Klei can get really creative with the way they want to take this game- AND can take it in any number of Directions… Wilson’s Rework could add a brand new mob into the game that only Wilson can summon AND that mob make sense from a Lore stand point.

For example- Wilson goes out to see where a bubbling area of bubbles is popping up and the other survivors are like “What are you Doing Wilson?” And Wilson says something like: “During my free time on the Shadow Throne when I was not being watched I created a little secret something out here in the world to help us out”

Wilson can then summon his very own friendly Sea-related mob that can help him fight sea enemies or gather sea resources.. 

There is a multitude of directions a Wilson rework could go beyond just “stay the way he is.”

Klei, please don't listen to this. Kevin and Joe and Jamie (etc) had a vision of what DS would be and how the characters represented it. I heard you back then, and I still believe in you.  

I understand some things changed when multiplayer came about, and adjustments had to be made. But this was NEVER meant to be an MMO or MOBA. Please, don't change for users who are achievement hunters that just want to rework the vision. This is your game, not theirs. It's OK to lose players who don't support you. 

26 minutes ago, imsomony said:

Klei, please don't listen to this. Kevin and Joe and Jamie (etc) had a vision of what DS would be and how the characters represented it. I heard you back then, and I still believe in you.  

I understand some things changed when multiplayer came about, and adjustments had to be made. But this was NEVER meant to be an MMO or MOBA. Please, don't change for users who are achievement hunters that just want to rework the vision. This is your game, not theirs. It's OK to lose players who don't support you. 

It may be their game and their great vision.. but WHERE is this type of bird, and this type of Potion tube glass in the game?

Pay close attention to the picture, that’s not Wilson outside of the Constant, those are Constant trees behind him.

And he’s shoving it down an already dead birds throat? (It has X’s for eyes)

28AB6C55-85DF-4E67-9375-4BF1D6413E1F.thumb.png.32b579a44986392c9fcc2f5898e570de.png

This image was prior to whatever secret Knowledges he learned when he Overthrew Maxwells Reign on the Nightmare Throne.

All the other characters (Including Wes who no one expected to ever get a real rework) got new content..  why shouldn’t Wilson?

15 minutes ago, imsomony said:

Maybe, but there’s a very real possibility he will get a crafting tab, I mean I suppose unless he gets the full blown Woodie Treatment- you can just opt to NOT use his crafting tab & him still play the same way he always has..

But would they really leave him exactly like he is when there’s only 4 more reworks remaining? Why wait that long after so many amazing new abilities to other characters?

I suppose we will just have to wait and see *shrugs*

For a rework of Wilson I would like most of the gameplay to be untouched, and maybe add some small disadvantages and benefits that show indirectly new players what are the general strats.

For example, make him get some unique tools like, maybe something like a Flint Pick/Axe, to help new players with inventory management, but give him a small disadvantage to eating raw food, so new players learn to prefer cooked meals.

Shadow tools (like sword and armor) give him slightly less of a sanity decrease, so new players are more enticed to make them since they are really powerful tools, but the recipes cost more nightmare fuel than with other characters, so they learn to communicate with their team to save resources.

He could also make a structure that shows in how many days a hound mound will appear, so new players get the general pattern when starting to play, while also being a pretty useful construction to general players in a server,

Just a lot of small of unique advantages and disadvantages across the seasons and content to make him a more fun and useful character in all content, while maintaining most of the charm of being a blank character with regular play-style (and more beginner focused). I think something like this is what I would like from a Wilson rework, though writing that in the character selection screen is probably impossible so just pass it off as "Protagonist Power" or something like that lol.

Also make Wilson's beard shine.

Archived