Wilson Rework?

Wilson will get his refresh as we can tell from the roadmap and i am hoping he will have more perks that don't influence the early game much but i don't see why he can't get his benefits later in the game, even for players that just want him to stay the same.

New players won't reach that far into game before they learn it and he can still have perks that are useful so that players would pick him over other characters.

Every character in the game except Wolfgang has been buffed with their refresh, plus all the DLC characters, why does Wilson have to remain as the character just above Wes when it comes to strengths. 

Hello, old Wilson main here. Just going to cut to the chase and say that I'd love for him to receive a rework. So originally I'd played as Wendy, which did help me quite a bit, but later on I fell out of playing DST and when I came back I decided to play Wilson - partially for "learning the basics", but mostly for the "aesthetic" as I'm a big fan of Wilson. Just him as a character though, I personally don't play him anymore (unless its for Forge or Gorge) because I think that he's boring to play. I'm sure having gotten better at the game played a big part in me not really wanting to play Wilson anymore. I will say, playing Wilson isn't what helped me get better. What helped me improve was playing in public servers with people that were kind enough to drag me around, show me the ropes, and answer questions when I had them. These people also pushed me out of my comfort zone by playing other characters, and I found playing those characters was much more enjoyable than playing Wilson - even if I was bad. Now I'm a Wanda main, and unfortunately I don't think I'll go back to playing Wilson because he just doesn't really have much to offer to me. It seems that he doesn't have much to offer to new players either, because typically whenever I see new players they tend to go Wendy or Webber, even if they do pick Wilson they just end up dying - which I find happens way less with Wendy. He just doesn't seem all that appealing, not to new players and not to old players. I feel like the only people that really play him are Wilson fans, and that makes me kind of sad because Wilson is such a charming character and new players may never see that because he just isn't interesting enough for them to pick up.

On 1/31/2022 at 8:56 PM, 00petar00 said:

Wilson will get his refresh as we can tell from the roadmap

Didn't mean to ramble on, just wanted to drop my thoughts. Anyways, regardless of what anyone thinks Wilson appears to be getting a rework. So I'm really excited for that! I do wonder how they'll change him though. There's been ideas here and there, I like some of them - others not so much. While I want him to get new content, I hope he'll keep that simplicity. Unfortunately it seems like he'll be the last to be reworked and that last rework is a long ways away. We'll just have to wait and see, in the meantime we can look forward to what I assume will be Wickerbottom or WX's refresh. 

What if they keep him exactly as is, but give him a niche perk that both helps him and harms him, with no other upsides or downsides (besides the beard)? In other words, an upside that is countered by a downside only within the realm of this perk. That way the use of the perk is completely optional as you don't have a downside to compensate for, but it still adds a little flavor to people who like his character but find his gameplay to be bland. Something like he can make a chemical kits that upon use explodes in his face but has some effect. These could include:

• Stink Bomb Compound- made with manure and something else. Upon use, it explodes in his face and does -50% sanity, but leaves a stink cloud behind that debuffs any non player or shadow enemy that enters it, making them move slower and attacks do only 75% damage. Lasts for half a day
  • Gembustion Demonstration- made with a red gem and gunpowder. Upon use, it explodes in Wilson's face dealing -75 damage to him and -100 to any enemy in a small radius. Flings Wilson backwards, similar to getting hit in the pig king minigame.
  • Chem-mushtree- made with a moon shroom and any spore. Upon use, it explodes and makes Wilson groggy for a full minute, but leaves behind a cloud that puts enemies to sleep if they walk through it. Lasts for a third of a day.

Just trying to make a compromise I guess. Even if these need balancing, do you guys think that this general principle could work? Having a "downside" that is only present when you use an "upside"? Is that a satisfying solution to both people who want something new and those who want Wilson to remain simple?

6 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

Just trying to make a compromise I guess. Even if these need balancing, do you guys think that this general principle could work? Having a "downside" that is only present when you use an "upside"? Is that a satisfying solution to both people who want something new and those who want Wilson to remain simple?

I think it's a better idea than just straight buffing him, but I don't understand why he needs to be this super attractive option to everyone. I don't play too much Wilson because he doesn't have big downsides just like I don't play too much of most of the roster because they don't have big downsides. But I'm not saying every single character needs to be reworked to appeal to me specifically because out of the large roster of characters if there's even one that I don't like entirely it needs to be changed.

There are so many characters to choose from. Why can't there be one character that doesn't have a big power? Just pick someone else if you want a big power like I pick someone else because I want a big drawback.

Ok so I'm not a veteran, I got the game like what 2 months ago, but I do agree that the argument that Wilson is the best beginner character is false. When I first started the game, I played Wanda cuz

A) Compared to some other character description, I could understand what the hell Im getting into with picking her. I'm playing as a Timetraveller with special crafts and I have to take care of my age. 

B) I really liked her aesthetic, and newbies should pick what character they want to play as, not what they have to pick to get into the game.

I did actually swap to Wilson once when I had trouble with keeping the age up, however I immediately changed back because A NEW BEGINNER SHOULDN'T HAVE TO FORCE THEMSELVES TO CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CHARACTER JUST TO GET INTO A GAME. IK games have a learning curve, but what actually made me immediately fall in love with Dont Starve Together was the idea that I was dropped into this mysterious world and that I would have to struggle to survive, and thats what made it special for me. 

Wilson should get a rework, not so that new players have it easier, but because people who WANT to play Wilson and like his themes get a more interesting experience. You can argue about Wendy is better or not, but you shouldnt pick a character cuz higher living chance.

Wilson should not get buffed, he should be more interesting for the people who like to play him, who like his personality and themes. While I watched some guides, I played with my cousin who never watched Dont Starve guides once and he first wanted to play as WOLFGANG. I would argue that nowdays, even more skill-requiring characters like Wanda and Wolfgang, are actually not too bad for a beginner. By watching their respective shorts and seeing their description, people see that Wolfgang is a strongman with hunger problems, done. While it will be harder and picking a different character might be better for survival, I would argue the fact that if you're a new player,

You're gonna die anyway...

4 hours ago, LiamAshvinn001 said:

A NEW BEGINNER SHOULDN'T HAVE TO FORCE THEMSELVES TO CHOOSE A DIFFERENT CHARACTER JUST TO GET INTO A GAME

obv but if someone come at me and ask "which character can you recommend to start playing" i wont say warly, wanda, wormwood, maxwell etc but wilson, wendy or wigfrid for obv reasons. That doesnt mean that this player must pick them and only them but the ones they enjoy because having fun is the goal of a videogame

26 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

obv but if someone come at me and ask "which character can you recommend to start playing" i wont say warly, wanda, wormwood, maxwell etc but wilson, wendy or wigfrid for obv reasons. That doesnt mean that this player must pick them and only them but the ones they enjoy because having fun is the goal of a videogame

Ok yeah sometimes I get too much into rants

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I mean, as long as it's not wormweed.

On 11/24/2021 at 3:38 AM, Mike23Ua said:

How about No? Wilson traveled through 5 randomly generated worlds of Maxwells torture, then choose to forgive and replace him on the nightmare throne- The SAME Nightmare Throne that gave Maxwell & Charlie their freaky shadow powers. Wilson needs- no Wilson DESERVES something that reflects upon that, and if we just “leave him mostly as is..” he becomes another disappointing rework like Wigfrids was.

If you look at him story wise, he is already OP. And he totally deserves a rework... But ya'll know Klei will save the best for last... and about Wigfrid~ I don't think she was meant to be that OP in the beginning, I honestly think they are trying to create a challenge for us like Wes.

On 2/7/2022 at 9:02 PM, Dr. Safety said:

• Stink Bomb Compound- made with manure and something else. Upon use, it explodes in his face and does -50% sanity, but leaves a stink cloud behind that debuffs any non player or shadow enemy that enters it, making them move slower and attacks do only 75% damage. Lasts for half a day
  • Gembustion Demonstration- made with a red gem and gunpowder. Upon use, it explodes in Wilson's face dealing -75 damage to him and -100 to any enemy in a small radius. Flings Wilson backwards, similar to getting hit in the pig king minigame.
  • Chem-mushtree- made with a moon shroom and any spore. Upon use, it explodes and makes Wilson groggy for a full minute, but leaves behind a cloud that puts enemies to sleep if they walk through it. Lasts for a third of a day.

This is the most destructive thing I've ever seen/read.~ you trying to kill poor Wilson... But creative input.

On 11/25/2021 at 1:47 AM, Spirit Glow said:

I think Wilson is charming and I absolutely LOVE his personality but i have to agree that he is an extremely boring character to play as who brings very little to a team. No one i play with bothers with him which is sad imo becuz i feel like he has so much potential.

I totally agree, people are totally underestimating him. As a long time ds player I felt that playing with other characters is great and all, but when it comes to the surviving and stuff. I BELIEVE. Wilson is just a simple guy overall, its a reason he was the only one out of all the characters to make it through Maxwell's challenges. Even story wise (while characters like Willow burning their house and Wendy trying to bring back her dead sister) Wilson is the only one who is trying to understand the secret knowledge. Added he was the one who created the florid posten (with Maxwell), the science machine, and think tank. And plenty of other things. He is already OP knowing he made almost everything we build... without him we would be walking around making fires, eating, and punching stuff. LOL. ---- But about a rework... I would totally love it. Even though it would be a bit harder on the players, that is what ds was about from the beginning... throwing the player out there and just having fun... learning from your mistakes... with the only rule being Don't Starve. But if the game is too easy with Wilson it doesn't really give the challenge... and what would be the point of making the reworks, its not about making the characters "Better" its about giving them a personality... like Wes? We know everyone is not perfect so why make Wilson all perfect? ... But back to being a ds fan I believe the hallowed nights lab should have been his rework- minus the scary stuff. And about Wigfrid (not tryin' to make anyone mad) but she is a child with a huge imagination... being a actor. And that's her personality. Plz leave her and Wolfgang alone... they not bad they just more in tune with their personalities than power.

A perkless character deserves to exist in a game filled to the brim with characters with lots of gimmicks and playstyle changes. Just make a little thing saying what characters are recommended for beginners for the first time you play the game, if thats not possible then they should change the grim/slim system to actually say easy/average/hard, make a character like Wendy on easy and make Wilson on average. He isn't just a tutorial, he's meant to be a vanilla playstyle which sure won't be the most popular thing, but it should exist nonetheless. If Wilson gets changed I hope they only affect other players.

Archived