Wilson Rework?

No. Hard disagree on a rework. 

Wilson is our OG. He is the original character who first landed in the DS world, and is the face of the entire DS franchise. He is simple and easy for beginners to use while they learn about game mechanics on their own, while still contributing something to the multi-player version that came later.    

Leave Wilson alone. Let him be who he is, and let his legacy and efforts stand on their own merit. 

Im up for it, while it works in DS since hes was the only character available when starting the game, his quirkless design just doesnt hold up in DST, he doesnt really help in anything besides easier access to Meat Effigies and making Bearnies. 

And his design is usually seen has boring by a lot of people, since again, he doesnt really do anything interesting compared to just about everyone else, which is sad since he has a lot of funny lines. 

He is likely to be the last character to get the rework since hes the OG one, as for what exactly, who knows, but the guy is obsessed with Science, so its 100% be related to something like that.

I'm still hoping he's the last one, and it seems likely; dramatic buildup for the OG protagonist and whatnot.
Agree with wanting him to...mostly stay unchanged, but he should get a little design attention considering where the other characters are now.

I'd like to see him be able to make blueprints for people. The other survivors (and he himself) talk about how he invented a few things in their arsenal, apparently sharing it with them, and it'd be a nice Multiplayer touch without actually changing his design.
Some variant of potions would be nice too, on the level of the Hallowed Nights ones. Experimenting with potions was the first thing he was shown to do in the lore, after all.

Wilson is currently the only character who has no crutches to rely on and no difficult downsides and as such is the perfect character for learning the game. You will not die as soon as you need to fight without Abigail by your side, will not succumb to insanity without your permanent passive regeneration, will not fall as soon as you must face the shadows on your own without Bernie, nor will you struggle with only eating crock pot foods, have to heal without the use of food, or alter your diet in some way.

The only challenges that face Wilson are those of the standard game. You must actually learn how to overcome them, and do so in a way that is universal with everyone. The only hardships you face are those brought on by the game, not by your character choice. Wilson is perfect as he is right now because he has so little. You already have almost 20 characters other than Wilson to pick from if you don't like how he plays, why must you change him away from perfection?

4 hours ago, imsomony said:

No. Hard disagree on a rework. 

Wilson is our OG. He is the original character who first landed in the DS world, and is the face of the entire DS franchise. He is simple and easy for beginners to use while they learn about game mechanics on their own, while still contributing something to the multi-player version that came later.    

Leave Wilson alone. Let him be who he is, and let his legacy and efforts stand on their own merit. 

How about No? Wilson traveled through 5 randomly generated worlds of Maxwells torture, then choose to forgive and replace him on the nightmare throne- The SAME Nightmare Throne that gave Maxwell & Charlie their freaky shadow powers.

Wilson needs- no Wilson DESERVES something that reflects upon that, and if we just “leave him mostly as is..” he becomes another disappointing rework like Wigfrids was.

I want brand new original content like Wes’s Balloon’O’Mancy tabs.

Klei can get really creative with the way they want to take this game- AND can take it in any number of Directions… Wilson’s Rework could add a brand new mob into the game that only Wilson can summon AND that mob make sense from a Lore stand point.

For example- Wilson goes out to see where a bubbling area of bubbles is popping up and the other survivors are like “What are you Doing Wilson?” And Wilson says something like: “During my free time on the Shadow Throne when I was not being watched I created a little secret something out here in the world to help us out”

Wilson can then summon his very own friendly Sea-related mob that can help him fight sea enemies or gather sea resources.. 

There is a multitude of directions a Wilson rework could go beyond just “stay the way he is.”

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wilson needs- no Wilson DESERVES something that reflects upon that, and if we just “leave him mostly as is..” he becomes another disappointing rework like Wigfrids was.

lore wise, most of the recipes and items are created by him with the knowledge got on each world and dlc

im in the "no wildon rework team", atmost some potions to calm down moba and fornite fans that needs 4 skills (but not so complex so their brain doesnt explote) to kill fight stuff. I love having a default character to experience the most vanilla experience possible thing that everyday is harder to find in this game due to character refresh so why people care about having just 1 blank character, pick another one.

klei should do refresh so each character makes the game completely different except for Wilson which will keep the vanilla experience. For that reason is better to improve winona, wicker, wx and wolfgang so they dont feel like playing wilson

pd. wigfrid's refresh might dissapoint you and others but was a good refresh

I wish people would stop arguing that Wilson is somehow easier for people to learn than other characters. Everyone I've tried getting to play DST almost quits in the first few hours because of how hard it is when I tell them they should pick Wilson as a starter, then I tell them to play Wendy and surprise surprise they can survive an entire year and you can learn everything as Wendy the same as you can with Wilson.

Like, be against a Wilson rework all you want but he's definitely in the harder range to play as for newer players. If anything I'd argue Wendy has dethroned him as the starter character.  Willow can practically be a Wilson herself if you just don't use her lighter or Bernie. Webber also has a nearly identical beard perk to him so that isn't even unique to him either.

His role and advertisement should reflect that he's more intended for players who already know what they're doing and just use him for style or something.

21 minutes ago, cropo said:

Everyone I've tried getting to play DST almost quits in the first few hours because of how hard it is when I tell them they should pick Wilson as a starter, then I tell them to play Wendy and surprise surprise they can survive an entire year and you can learn everything as Wendy the same as you can with Wilson.

if someone quits a game because is hard is the player problem, not the game

no, you cant learn everything as wendy. Someone who only plays Wendy wont be able to learn how to fight anything or how to farm certain materials without their bodyguard

7 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

if someone quits a game because is hard is the player problem, not the game

no, you cant learn everything as wendy. Someone who only plays Wendy wont be able to learn how to fight anything or how to farm certain materials without their bodyguard

Yeah you can...just fight without the bodyguard for a bit. In fact you could argue that the experience gained training as Wendy without using Abigail is more valuable than Wilson because she has to spend a longer time perfecting it. Just as surviving in Winter as Willow will prepare you for Winter twice as much for other characters in the future.

You're also missing the point. The ''Default Character'' poses far greater difficulties for a new, learning player than other characters. If Wilson is a good beginner character meant to show new players the ropes, why is he more difficult to play than other characters?  If you guys want to conserve Wilson the way he is, he should stop being advertised as the beginner-friendly option. Wendy is the beginner friendly option, being the highest played character in the game reflects this.

Keeping Wilson the way he is is just vanity at this point. He is a handicap character that is less punishing than Wes. Playing as him isn't a learning experience, it's a show of mastery of the games base mechanics. He's for late-game players who already have learned the ropes and don't care to give themselves any advantages over them.

You can also just play solo Don't Starve to keep Wilson the way he is, his role is more meaningful there as well since a lot of the other characters have real disadvantages for using them making him a more valuable pick in SP. In DST that role is pretty much obsolete.

I think I agree for Wilson's rework.

I get why people want him to stay vanilla or "OG", but honestly, it only makes sence in singleplayer DS, where he is the first character and should give players an idea about what the game is. Also in singleplayer every character is much less OP.

In DST, though, every character is unique and quite honestly OP and Wilson without any abilities is not just vanilla - he's weak. Keep in mind that Wilson is the most likely character to be picked by a new player and to be bored/dissapointed in a game they just bought. If you want hard gameplay - pick Wes :) 

42 minutes ago, cropo said:

Yeah you can...just fight without the bodyguard for a bit. In fact you could argue that the experience gained training as Wendy without using Abigail is more valuable than Wilson because she has to spend a longer time perfecting it.

but you perfectly know that people dont work like that

43 minutes ago, cropo said:

Just as surviving in Winter as Willow will prepare you for Winter twice as much for other characters in the future.

willow starts with a long durability torch, fire inmunity, overheat resistance and a isulation item for free. How playing willow prepares you for winter? her freeze downside is totally negate for her many upsides

44 minutes ago, cropo said:

You're also missing the point. The ''Default Character'' poses far greater difficulties for a new, learning player than other characters. If Wilson is a good beginner character meant to show new players the ropes, why is he more difficult to play than other characters?  If you guys want to conserve Wilson the way he is, he should stop being advertised as the beginner-friendly option. Wendy is the beginner friendly option, being the highest played character in the game reflects this.

because isnt about difficulty lmao. Is about learning in game mechanics which, with Wilson, you learn them in a vanilla scenario. Is like wigfrid, she is also so beguinner friendly but, like wendy, isnt the best character to learn the game because will create toxic behaviour like tanking or not needing to know how to recover sanity or HP. Sure,im not saying that wendy and wigfrid can't teach things to a player but the BEST character to learn is wilson

also doesnt matter this, we just want a default character since everyday each character has more game changing perks than 10 years ago

you are missing a lot of points

49 minutes ago, cropo said:

Keeping Wilson the way he is is just vanity at this point.

nobody said the opposite

1 hour ago, cropo said:

then I tell them to play Wendy and surprise surprise they can survive an entire year and you can learn everything as Wendy the same as you can with Wilson.

You’re teaching people how to play wrong. Wendy is a bad beginner character because while she makes the game easier, she does so by not requiring the players to actually learn basic combat. To new players, Abigail is a crutch, and how will one learn to walk if they require a crutch just to stand up?
Also, I don’t understand the “other characters are unlocked from the start so wilson is useless!!!” claim. Plenty of people still use him to help learn the game, and it’s important to have a character who allows you to enjoy the base game, without having to worry about character perks; I know people who even after learning the basics stay with wilson because they enjoy his relaxed toolkit. Reworking wilson will remove his important niche, which will upset plenty of future new players and even some old ones.

3 minutes ago, goblinball said:

You’re teaching people how to play wrong. Wendy is a bad beginner character because while she makes the game easier, she does so by not requiring the players to actually learn basic combat. To new players, Abigail is a crutch, and how will one learn to walk if they require a crutch just to stand up?
Also, I don’t understand the “other characters are unlocked from the start so wilson is useless!!!” claim. Plenty of people still use him to help learn the game, and it’s important to have a character who allows you to enjoy the base game, without having to worry about character perks; I know people who even after learning the basics stay with wilson because they enjoy his relaxed toolkit. Reworking wilson will remove his important niche, which will upset plenty of future new players and even some old ones.

is like saying, i teached noob players how to use godmode and surprise, they can survive xD

11 minutes ago, goblinball said:

Everyone I taught to play learned how to play far easier with Abigail taking away 50% of the stress in any given situation. It allowed them to compartmentalize the challenges far better and now they can play as other characters far easier. As Wilson, they die, die, and then die again because everything is thrown at them at once. With Wendy, only the survival aspect is truly thrown at you. Sure, you can't outright solo Deerclops with Abigail alone, but she puts you in a situation where you can reach Deerclops in the first place.

Wilsons sole perk goes away the instant he dies and a majority of the time never has time to grow back before Winter is in full force, and with continued penalties for dying it's outright demoralizing. We all learned the game through Wilson because that was our only choice back then in SP, and characters like Willow and Woodie had genuine disadvantages to them that made you reconsider picking them. Now, most characters can be Wilson by simply not using their perks. The idea that a player ''learns better'' as Wilson is just the nostalgia goggles talking. 

Picking him makes the game harder, therefore unless your argument is that new players need the more challenging experience front-loaded to them immediately to ''enjoy the game the right way'' he is not a beginner-friendly character. He may have been in Singleplayer when Willow can accidentally burn down her entire base or you drop everything in your inventory as Woodie, or Wendy could only use Abigail in Niche situations under certain circumstances but this just isn't how the game is anymore. 

To teach a new player to play the game, they need to have the drive to practice on their own painstakingly, or they need to be outright babied by a flat-out better player. Wilson does not add ANYTHING to a team as a new player, does not learn team dynamics unless other players practically donate blood to him. Wendy on the other hand just has to be present to contribute to the team, and can learn in a more positive environment with other players because they aren't burdened nearly as much. Wilson fails as a tutorial character.

When you teach a kid to ride a bike, sometimes you give them training wheels which they can remove later on. You can't just throw them on a bike to have the vanilla experience of crashing on their face and just say ''Well if you quit trying that's your problem bud''. 

Archived