your opinion on pretty parasol

opinion on pretty parasol  

82 members have voted

1. 1. opinion on pretty parasol

6 hours ago, wortox_main said:

yeah.... its kinda terrible especially if its raining nonstop and you using WX78

Pair it with a straw hat, go under a tree and you will dry out. And it will also give you some sanity.

This is one of those items that are almost free, can mostly be made at any time with no setup, and it’s only meant to do its job for basic survival when you have no other option.

It’s working as intended.

The pretty parasol is an item meant to be used almost exclusively in Summer to combat against over heating- many people aren’t aware of this but:

Spoiler

Wearing a Strawhat, using Parasol & standing under a tree for shade- will completely negate overheating.

If your wanting an item designed to combat rain, use- 

Spoiler

Wes’s Balloon hats, Raincoat, Umbrella, Eyebrella.

Wendy’s belongings set included a Pretty Parasol skin so i craft them all the time just to carry around as her 

They are the Summer equivalent to Rabbit Earmuffs- they help just enough to do the job… but there are better items to use.

Thats pretty much the entire structure of DST- Items becoming quickly outclassed by other items that do the job better.

they should have a bit longer spoil time, because -

I believe its spoil time is effected by both the summer heat and the increased spoilage of wet items, which means it is worse than it should be at its 2 main functions.

And, the shorter spoil time makes it not very viable to craft it and then bring it to pearl without knowing exactly where she is.

its good item, its not souposed to be the best thing, its souposed to be kind of level 1 of rain and heat protection, after all the umbrella is literaly its upgrate version of it, alsol just use a hat too and stand under a tree to lose wet and heat

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

The pretty parasol is an item meant to be used almost exclusively in Summer to combat against over heating

Fun little tidbit: the pretty parasol is actually identical to the umbrella if you are using it for summer. Both will offer 120 summer insulation, despite the pretty parasol faring worse in terms of its wetness resistance.

It’s pretty good for summer in that aspect (you do need to watch out for how fast it spoils, though), and in spring it’s still better then most of your other options if you don’t have science up.

It gets more use in RoG where you have a 50/50 chance by default to spawn in spring, and I guess it's good if your first autumn is particularly rainy
Other than that... you really have little reason to use it. It's an earlygame item that does its job well when you need it but is quickly overshadowed. If you're starting in autumn you'll likely have an Eyebrella or umbrella by the time wetness protection becomes a concern

What is there not to like about it. As much as the proper umbrella is clearly the more powerful item for defeating rain with just a football helmet/top hat, pretty parasol often gets more use out of me as you can simply craft it anytime with omnipresent ingredients, combine it with rain hat or strawhat+tree for 100% protection, dry off for a second, and continue your life without an umbrella permanently clogging your hand slot all spring, which is much better reserved for walking cane, weapon or shield. And when its expiry date comes, it makes for great fuel unlike umbrella taking space and consuming your sewing kits/tapes for repairs.

For a solo player like me who has the eyebrella come day 30, 100% of the time, this item is outclassed 100% of the time, and now with the shield of terror that seems even more like the best option. 

The shield of terror has made certain hand slot items even less of a necessity. You can even equip a magi for increased speed to make up for the loss of the walking cane.

I also want to clarify that that is not a bad thing. More variety in loadouts is always welcome in my book.

The parasol's not completely useless, but it's very niche, and maybe slightly underpowered within its niche: scrambling to not die of sogginess or overheating when your pockets are empty and you can't reach shelter or better resources before the weather kills you. Previously this was more of a singleplayer/joining-a-public-server-late problem except for a few people tinkering with worldgen settings or mods and the occasional poorly planned revival, but starting in spring is also a feature of the new Terraria preset (with extra rain!) so that's introducing a few more players to it at the moment.

Archived