What do you think the most obscure item is?

Fireproof Falsetto.

I generally believe every item can have it's use, I've found uses in a lot of "useless" items. The fire pump, pretty parasol, whirly fan, fire nettles and etc.

But the Fireproof Falsetto? This is probably one of the only if not only item in DS/T for me that I just can not find useful in any situation.

The most obscure item? If we're only counting obtainable items, It has to be the bile-covered slop from shipwrecked.

Bile-Covered_Slop.png.489888b82c88a94c7204c204dbecf4e5.pngIt's an item that you probably will never see in-game or don't know exists without looking it up.

If we're talking DST, then no idea. Maybe some event-exclusive item? (like the hound whistle and the feather fan from year of the varg and gobbler respectively). Some specific winter's feast adornment? A nearly-impossible-to-make crock pot recipe like ceviche and seafood gumbo?

Define "obscure" and define "item". If "obscure" means not many people know about it then unused content would probably be the most obscure. If "item" means you have to be able to have it in a world and "obscure" means not many people have it then removed content like the farm plots and Applied Horticulture would be the most obscure. If "obscure" means not many people use it and "item" means you have to be able to realistically get it in the current game then from what I've seen most items are very obscure since most people who play on Klei official servers only ever use a handful of items. If it's that last one then statistically speaking my money would be on it being a chest slot item since people really love their backpacks.

My vote goes to ambrosia. The game does little in pointing to the existence of this item making it very obscure. The item has multiple steps before it can transform into its intended result that you'd probably have to look up to know about.

Anyone that comes across the "knowledge" in the ancient archives and doesn't have any prior understanding of this item will probably have no clue what do to do with it.

You craft collected dust, now what? The character quotes that I have come across don't tell you to put it in a crockpot.

Then if you manage to figure out to put it on the crockpot, who do you feed the ambrosia to?

Maybe you're very clever and decide to test feeding it to the moths who then wonder off somewhere and beging dusting their dens. You could miss them creating some Thelucite fragments if you don't stick around long enough.

That is if a new player even finds the archives or better yet, ever even heads underground. Seems to me like an item you just have to know about.

3 hours ago, Hornete said:

Fireproof Falsetto.

Is useless the same as obscure? I thought the thread was about hard to find/hard to figure out items... 

7 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Is useless the same as obscure? I thought the thread was about hard to find/hard to figure out items... 

I think you're right, I apparently got the definition of obscure wrong for a looong time in my life :p, thanks.

3 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I think that having it in the ancient kilns in the archives makes it clear enough, plus collected dust's crafting flavor text is "A key ingredient for an ancient treat."

I think the bigger issue is that it's not even very useful, considering that most people have amassed quite a lot of thuelcite by the time they make it to the archives, because you need the star caller staff to get to it.

1 minute ago, HumanBean150 said:

I think that having it in the ancient kilns in the archives makes it clear enough, plus collected dust's crafting flavor text is "A key ingredient for an ancient treat."

I think the bigger issue is that it's not even very useful, considering that most people have amassed quite a lot of thuelcite by the time they make it to the archives, because you need the star caller staff to get to it.

That's another thing, before you even have access to the distilled knowledge you have to craft a suncaller staff and morph it. Then you have to deconstruct it and take the opal to the archives to have access to the crafting recipe. It might not be the most obscure but feel its still kinda obscure if you just play the game and don't visit forums or the wiki.

52 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

You craft collected dust, now what? The character quotes that I have come across don't tell you to put it in a crockpot.

To give some credit, the ancient crockpots that spawn in the archives do contain collected dust when you open them initially, hinting it’s a crockpot ingredient. It’s still a bit cryptic with now the recipe for ambrosia can be basically anything, though.

I see a lot of players just leaving the golden belt laying around like they don’t know what to do with it, but Free gold for me so I’m not complaining.

Things I don’t see other players use too often are fishing rods/lures.. 

But for me my own personal lesser used item is Walking Cane.. MacTusks are my worst nightmare, I hate the dudes.. and the recent-ish update Klei did to the game, made fighting them even more difficult (they can’t be stun locked) It’s actually Easier to just Tame a Beefalo now… you’ll have that “mostly done” before you even have a chance at Walking Cane.

41 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

That's another thing, before you even have access to the distilled knowledge you have to craft a suncaller staff and morph it. Then you have to deconstruct it and take the opal to the archives to have access to the crafting recipe. It might not be the most obscure but feel its still kinda obscure if you just play the game and don't visit forums or the wiki.

Deconstructing the MCS isn't difficult to figure out. You see three slots for gems on the floor, but only two of them are occupied. They're occupied by a gem you've never seen anywhere except your MCS.

The hard part about that is getting the MCS in the first place, but that's realistic to find out on your own. The moon stone has a big hole in the center, half the characters have lines implying it needs something and a few outright say to place something in it, and if you try to place something wrong in they say it doesn't fit. If you keep trying everything that has a handle, since the hole is handle shaped, you'll eventually get it right from brute force guessing. After you see nothing happens you try again at night because it's called a "Moon Stone", then you try again during a full moon. Maybe not something you'll figure out immediately but it's reasonable.

A much more obscure thing is fighting the AFW. I see how to figure out how to fight the SCP, but I'm not quite sure how you're intended to figure out to assemble an odd skeleton and put the heart in it in the atrium. I could see guessing to go deeper in the caves since it behaves differently aboveground and below but the only hint you're supposed to give it a heart I can think of is Warly saying it's missing a secret ingredient.

1 minute ago, Cheggf said:

Deconstructing the MCS isn't difficult to figure out. You see three slots for gems on the floor, but only two of them are occupied. They're occupied by a gem you've never seen anywhere except your MCS.

The hard part about that is getting the MCS in the first place, but that's realistic to find out on your own. The moon stone has a big hole in the center, half the characters have lines implying it needs something and a few outright say to place something in it, and if you try to place something wrong in they say it doesn't fit. If you keep trying everything that has a handle, since the hole is handle shaped, you'll eventually get it right from brute force guessing. After you see nothing happens you try again at night because it's called a "Moon Stone", then you try again during a full moon. Maybe not something you'll figure out immediately but it's reasonable.

A much more obscure thing is fighting the AFW. I see how to figure out how to fight the SCP, but I'm not quite sure how you're intended to figure out to assemble an odd skeleton and put the heart in it in the atrium. I could see guessing to go deeper in the caves since it behaves differently aboveground and below but the only hint you're supposed to give it a heart I can think of is Warly saying it's missing a secret ingredient.

Someone is going to continuously insert a random assortment of items every night until they happen upon the correct item?

Not only that but they're going to maintain that increasing amount of "possible items" for every phase of the moon?

3 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

You find it INSIDE the Ancient Kiln in the Archives which is a fully-functional crockpot. 
I thought that was indication enough. 

1 hour ago, Baark0 said:

image.png.b052f63d7bde77f5d301c6b8e09a01ed.png

These. You only get these from like digging graves or picking tumbleweeds at a very low chance, and their sole purpose is to be traded to pig king in order to get sketches for the respective shadow piece.

They only begin spawning in the world after the Shadow Pieces are killed the first time, which is why they're never seen on Pubs usually. 

24 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

You find it INSIDE the Ancient Kiln in the Archives which is a fully-functional crockpot. 
I thought that was indication enough.

I didn't know this because it has actually never occured to me to check what is inside the kiln. 

Anyways, even if its somewhat obvious I think its still somewhat impossible for someone to complete all the necessary steps just to get to this part without checking forums or wiki.

Crafting suncaller > Morphing it at a moon altar > Deconstructing the moon caller > where the opal goes is kind of obvious though. 

Archived