The DST Workshop

Can we just talk about this place? Like good god there has been nothing good for the past like 2 years. There's the obvious anime character mods but we all know those exist. I'm pretty sure like 10-20% of all the mods on the workshop are just the same mod copy pasted over and over again. Like, here, look at this screenshot I took, there's the same mod copy and pasted 6 times over.

And again:

image.png.0d7a44a86a88e8f0834e05b3283b8f9e.png

And again:

image.png.1f1d3886c4a8c7598e3c7308a802cc5b.png

Idk man I just find this so funny.

image.png

Edit: formatiing messed up, the show me mods go under the 1st paragraph

image.png

image.png

lmao what ive tried to edit this post like 5 times and the show me images keep popping up i think the workshop hacked me lmao

On top of all the other mods that:

A.) Have a confusing title, weird image, and no mod description.

B.) Are anime/Vtuber based.

C.) Or are memes.

It's like those activities that kids can do at summer camp where you take a lump of clay and put it into a sifter and sift until you find some gold (with the gold in this case being really cool and unique mods).

Don't do this mistake op.

I mentioned it about a years ago. My complaining was about chinese mod spams with k-pop singer pictures and no explanation. I asked for moderation on mod page, preferably an english explanation for mods..

Then I got called xenophobic :grin:

1 hour ago, ALCRD said:

At least it's not as bad as L4D2 workshop with almost nothing but anime girls mods. At least thats how it was last i checked.

but thats literaly the dst mods too the chance of the first page havin at least 1 of those is like 99%

5 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Not too mention all the mods that are "don't use this, this is my personal mod" (usually not in English)

And it ends up being some client side mod that lets you see whispers from across the map or something like that

Isn't there a rule that bans publishing personal use mods on the Steam Workshop? Why would you even publish a personal use mod that isn't a server mod on the Steam Workshop?

Yep, right here on the FAQ:

image.png.b55b573a7dae06a402df384afcec3994.png

1 minute ago, SomebodyRandom said:

Isn't there a rule that bans publishing personal use mods on the Steam Workshop? Why would you even publish a personal use mod that isn't a server mod on the Steam Workshop?

No clue, but I see them pretty frequently.

And they don't get taken down very quickly seeing as they are on like the 6th page of "most popular"

It's not that bad. Part of it is that DST modding is more technical than DS modding, since the relation between server and client requires a better understanding of Lua. On top of that, it seems that there's less learning resources for newbie modders. I feel like this is cyclic, where there are less mods to deconstruct to learn from, since there's less (but obviously not zero) mods that make substantial changes. Character mods and small quality-of-life mods are the easiest and most straightforward, and so newer modders will gravitate towards them. That's not exclusively a DST issue (or an issue at all, honestly), but it is exacerbated by the things I mentioned.

Mod challenges like the Halloween one will encourage more creative additions to the game, hopefully!

Archived