The DST Workshop

6 minutes ago, debugman18 said:

I feel like this is cyclic, where there are less mods to deconstruct to learn from, since there's less (but obviously not zero) mods that make substantial changes. Character mods and small quality-of-life mods are the easiest and most straightforward, and so newer modders will gravitate towards them

It's really unfortunate, we have a lack of documentation and tutorials for DS/T modding, not to mention some of these tools can be really hard to work with(Autoompiler, Spriter, etc).

10 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

complain instead of learning coding to create mods with the quality he is looking for

yes exactly complain more good work

also ik about the occasional banger mods, but thats what they are, a tiny diamond in a sea of coal

Honestly if I could just make a good mod every day, week or even a month now, I'll do. But after 7 years you can figure imagination has been pumping very hard, essential clients have been made, stand-alone classics have been ported, original content had its peak period back then and players wasn't expecting too high quality content if not just to say they would feed on any popular mod types you can kinda guess.

Now the amount of player on the game has only increased so this is why there are so many uploads, mostly reuploads, but there always were and I was there to confirm.
Only the creativity has changed but it is an unavoidable turn because ideas run low if you don't want to make a duplicate / related mod and even if you have something on your mind, today's expectation for a good mod are higher than ever, you will be asked to have good arts (which include all game aspects: visuals, audios and gameplay) for original in-game content, make the best use of the tools in your disposition... but I'm not making a tutorial here, just know having helpless situation is frequent during the making of a mod.

So there's that or just make a S.A.N.S mod, but you might not know what it is :

• Sparkly mod icon or a gif,
  • Anime character and weapon,
  • Niche memes (audio & art replacement)
  • Stack Size mod bigger than the previous one /flex

These are instant good mods, regardless of the content, there's a player-base who will enjoy them.

Realistically, I have now some steps back from my old mods and I just want to say making a "popular mod" back then that would get at the top of that old Steam showcased mod interface for weeks was child's play. You were just demanded to make something new, a single structure, a turf, a mob or plant and you're done. I was just doing things I wanted for myself when I play the game, but as it was a thing I couldn't find on the workshop so you have to do it yourself and players would go crazy about it, now there's so many mods... I can only imagine it's similar for many other modders.
Also I'm only saying that because most of those mods I made in the past in reality were and are still completed bugged, have terrible arts and so many things I could point out given I was just getting started and had no knowledge on modding in general, yet I tried and that just show how less demanding the workshop was before.

I'd personally just like to see a purge of the mods that are broken and abandoned, private use, test uploads, etc. I've seen a lot of newcomers find some really cool n promising mods on the workshop only to find out they're bugged, crash on startup, haven't been updated since 2016.
The workshop already has a tag for incompatible mods (though im unsure what constitutes as such currently), would it be possible for a workshop moderator to filter out all the broken/useless mods that fall into this category somehow?
This'd be better than just removing the mods outright I think, cause it'd leave the broken mods up on the workshop (albeit filtered out of the main search) in case someone ever wants to come along and scrounge through the code and fix it themselves. And it'd let newbies know this cool mod from 2016 does not work with modern day DST. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7cf645fe9e94ab742d80db644171f97a.pngspeaking of broken promising mods, what ever happened to twitch plays together?

Steam's current layout has it where only the top mod in Trending shows up but only under a bunch of stuff like trading cards and your friends who play the game. It used to have the top 3 at the very top where anyone who basically planned on playing DST on Steam at least saw the thumbnail. At the current stage, you'd need to scroll down to see the most popular mod or just check the workshop on your own to see what people have posted recently. I miss that and it may contribute partially to why some good mods aren't as viewed as they should be.

21 hours ago, GuyNamedChris said:

would it be possible for a workshop moderator to filter out all the broken/useless mods that fall into this category somehow?

I would like this, since I think it's good to be able to look back on old mods that deserve to be preserved (e.g. a mod made by a modder who isn't alive anymore) and to be able to just look at all of the ideas that people have had over the years

On 9/9/2021 at 8:05 AM, Slagger said:

Don't do this mistake op.

I mentioned it about a years ago. My complaining was about chinese mod spams with k-pop singer pictures and no explanation. I asked for moderation on mod page, preferably an english explanation for mods..

Then I got called xenophobic :grin:

Gotta love the internet. 

i would agree with you but then i remember recently there finally is a mod that lets you switch controller and keyboard with a hotkey , and it seems like a very simple low quality mod on the workshop but worked perfectly . so i’m not that mad now . i do hate those out of character don’t fit in the game anime characters though .

7 hours ago, GuyNamedChris said:

for wanting mods that aren't compatible with the game filtered out? seems like an extreme comparison don'tcha think bud

the only reason a mod shouldnt be on the workshop is if it literally malicious and gives virus or ruins your pc or mines crypto or hacks your account.

just cause a mod is not finished, private use, or even crashes they dont deserve to be genocided. not everyone is a great modder who can make high quality mods so their mod is finished easily or doesnt crash, not everyone understands english or even know how to read well to learn how to make their mods friends only or private when its supposed to be.

so many users on the workshop dont even read the mods descriptions, so many freaking people who play dst itself will make public servers then when you join after many minutes they say "sorry this is friends only lobby" and kick you

i dont enjoy the chinese mods which have no descriptions and like 3-5 uploaded at once or reuploads with changed stats so i dont use them, but i also respect the author/reuploader because that mod makes the game more fun for them and in the end the only thing that matters for anybody is for them to enjoy the game more because games only exist to be played then have fun.

if you want to find good mods then nobody's stopping you and forcing you to click on mods you dont like. You can search with most popular, most liked, most subbed, ect. if you want other people to have an easier time then leave a nice comment and like on those mods too then they get more popular and more people can see it.

18 minutes ago, . . . said:

the only reason a mod shouldnt be on the workshop is if it literally malicious and gives virus or ruins your pc or mines crypto or hacks your account.

just cause a mod is not finished, private use, or even crashes they dont deserve to be genocided. not everyone is a great modder who can make high quality mods so their mod is finished easily or doesnt crash, not everyone understands english or even know how to read well to learn how to make their mods friends only or private when its supposed to be.

so many users on the workshop dont even read the mods descriptions, so many freaking people who play dst itself will make public servers then when you join after many minutes they say "sorry this is friends only lobby" and kick you

i dont enjoy the chinese mods which have no descriptions and like 3-5 uploaded at once or reuploads with changed stats so i dont use them, but i also respect the author/reuploader because that mod makes the game more fun for them and in the end the only thing that matters for anybody is for them to enjoy the game more because games only exist to be played then have fun.

if you want to find good mods then nobody's stopping you and forcing you to click on mods you dont like. You can search with most popular, most liked, most subbed, ect. if you want other people to have an easier time then leave a nice comment and like on those mods too then they get more popular and more people can see it.

I'd prefer an option to filter mod by language, cause I don't understand what these mods are and I wanna find mods I can understand.

3 hours ago, thesooz9000 said:

I'd prefer an option to filter mod by language, cause I don't understand what these mods are and I wanna find mods I can understand.

i think it would be good if steam had an auto-translate feature like google

Archived