[Poll] On the Midsummer Cawnival, Postmortem

im bad at titles  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Midsummer Cawnival?

2. 2. To you, what is/are the best part/s of the update?

• The new cawnival structures.
    • The new cawnival mechanics.
    • The new characters.
    • The added aesthetic options.
    • The music.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
    • None of the update parts is good to me.
    • I have no strong feelings regarding the update.
  3. 3. If yes, why?

• The event brought lots of needed mechanical changes to DST
    • The event brought lots of needed aesthetic changes to DST
    • The event adds new strategies for players to deal with existing challenges.
    • The event adds new, enriching lore.
    • The event adds interesting new characters.
    • The event might get expanded upon.
    • I voted "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied."
    • I voted "No strong feelings."
    • Other (do mention in the comments)
  4. 4. If no, why?

• The update brought lots of unneeded mechanical changes to DST
    • The update brought lots of unneeded aesthetic changes to DST
    • The update does not improve upon existing gameplay.
    • The update did not build unto the lore.
    • The update added uninteresting characters.
    • The event may not be improved with further updates.
    • I voted "Very Satisfied/Satisfied."
    • I voted "No strong feelings."
    • Other (do mention in the comments)

Given the mixed reactions I've seen regarding the Cawnival I'm running a postmortem poll for it which I havent done ever since RWYS because rwys was universally the best update and I needed no Postmortem poll to tell me that. Then i jusy got lazy and didnt make polls for the rest of the updates after that.

Anyways, was the Cawnival an excellent event for you or nah? Vote and discuss freely in the comments!

[Edit] Upon backreading my posts i realized i did make a RWYS poll. found here:

Spoiler

my mistake. i am both immensely forgetful and lazy sorry

Satisfied others: it was simply fun. The few games and trying to get a lot of tickets with friends and bothering them while they played and stealing their tickets and the prizes were pretty good. Nothing extraordinary, nothing super enriching. Just some simple little minigames. 

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but is there a need to draw this out further? I think its pretty clear on how the people of this forum feel about the update.

As for the poll itself I think its still to early to call it "postmortem" despite the event coming to a close. The reason being this was more of a foundation of something that will be expanded upon in the future. I also find the options lacking a 'doesn't appeal to me but can see why others enjoy it' point of view. Some updates are for the like to fight bosses crowd and some are for the chill gaming crowd. 

I like DST as a Survival game, this update did nothing but add three minigames and some cosmetics. Was overall very disappointing, and was upset when I couldn't burn it all down 

To those who say it can get better in the future, How?

More prizes? For what?

More Games? The games were beyond simple and laughably easy especially with more than 1 person

Beyond disappointed with this one

My issue with these events is the fact that they tend to not add anything onto the core gameplay.

I wish Cawnival added some additional challenge or alternative methods of survival for summer, instead it added nothing of value to a player like me.

Winters Feast comes closest, adding the feasting tables which are genuinely useful as a core part of survival, and the Gingerbread pigs actively approach you, and can quickly be followed and explored at any time, you don't have to go out of your way to farm up resources to make it appear, or idle around a set area, plus Winters Feast adds an alternate version of the Deerclops that is deadlier, but more fun to fight, and also Klaus's drops get changed around too.

I know that's the culmination of multiple years of Winters Feast, I'm just disappointed that adding content to the core gameplay loop wasn't as important as adding some repetitive mini games that don't give you much of practical value.

When i initially read they were working on a 'summer solstice event' i thought it was gonna be something magical/astrological/astronomical inspired :lol: a crow carnival was probably the last thing on my mind lol

I think its cute and the visuals are pretty. i really like the small lights and the music. I wish the decorations had a smaller collision box though like potted ferns so u can more easily tuck them into builds. 

My favorite type of content update has to be stuff that enriches the base game/world. So new mobs, plants, biomes, points of interest to seek out etc. Winter's feast does this really well by adding no-eyed-dee, the numerous klaus sack spawn points and the ginger bread pigs like Scrimbles mentiond.

the cawnival on the other hand is entirely built by the player and is not connected to anything else in the world. for example why not give the crow man a nice set piece in one of the forests to spawn in instead of just at the portal? 

theres so much potential to enrich the existing world, there are so many barren biomes in the overworld not to mention the caves. So personally thats what id like to see improved in general.

Spoiler

not related to the cawnival but for example why not add the salt ponds and mini rock crabs from the gorge to the rocky biome? like its soooo boring, empty and barren and has been for a g e s

What I like: Crow people and their aesthetic.

What I don't like: the way it was all executed. Crows brought absolutely nothing to the table regarding lore despite the fact that they're an intelligent humanoid species. They say nothing of value, have little to no idle aniations and interactions and don't wander too far from the tree. Their cawnival decorations could be a bit more crude. I'd be fine with cawnival if it was something along the lines of 'survivors and crows try to create a cheery environment with what limited resources they have' not 'survivors purchase a bunch of brand new, silky smooth, fresh stuff'. If for exaple instead of plastic banners they used colorful leaves and vines. The cawnival setpiece ends up looking way too packed and cramped since most of the decorations are just those dumb little miniatures.

The event also conflicts with survival aspect of the game since you might get your minigame interrupted by hounds, hunger, temperature or sanity.

Why I liked it wasn't listed - which was simply that it brought fun minigames into the world.  I loved year of the pig for the sign smashing wrestling match style minigame.  These lend a lot of casual fun to an otherwise tedious world.  I also really liked how accessible it was.  I was able to enjoy this game with several friends who have played DST very little.  Not as easy with some other events that require a bit more investment to get to the fun part.  The theme was great too, even if it was a bit off for the usual DST.

When I first heard of “Midsummer Cawnivale”, I had 2 thoughts on my mind.

1. This event would be something to fill in the gap between Lunar New Year and Hallowed Nights

2. This event would add/modify/change something about the Summer season, which is arguably the most boring in terms of content.

I guess this event kinda achieved number one? Like yeah, it’s severely lacking when compared to the other events, but it still felt... empty I guess is the word.

It just feels weird that a survival game genre with uncompromising elements is combined with this Mario-Party esque event. It’s also a bit lore grating because the constant is suppose to be this hellish purgatory, but now we’ve got crows hosting minigames for us while the hounds are coming to kill us.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the design of the Crowfather, but I feel like this event needs some polishing if it wants to come back next year.

Like all the updates in last couple years, I feel as if the current team on DST wants to make a quirky adventure game instead of a survival game.  This is just another one of many instances of this.  I never wanted this content and generally do despise it being the major focus of every major and minor update outside of the single farming update and the character reworks (which tend to be butchered in some manner as to take away from the survival aspect of the game as well), but this is the norm.  I'm not surprised in the slightest.

28 minutes ago, Mario384 said:

Like all the updates in last couple years, I feel as if the current team on DST wants to make a quirky adventure game instead of a survival game.  This is just another one of many instances of this.

it has been this way since the game was announced

1 minute ago, Guille6785 said:

...I mean, not exactly true, but, okay?

What about it? Should people stop wanting the game to go back to its roots, go back to what made it so popular in the first place and gained it a fanbase? It's up to Klei whether that happens or not, and they've shown that they are willing to change core game elements ever since they started doing the QoL updates, and RWYS, so may as well pitch opinions out if Klei is keeping track of what all sides of the community want.

40 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

Not necesarrily. They did an excellent job redesigning the caves and ruins in the first couple of months of DSTs life and then I really looked forward to Through the Ages when they were planning on doing that. But for whatever reason DSTs updates just feel very inconsequential to the core game, dont get me wrong i still appreciate DST and its updates but id kill to have the kind of content updates ONI gets, for me there is no comparison as to which are better.

47 minutes ago, minespatch said:

They should make it creepier each year.5aa76668a4032_arielimpliedevil.png.f2a55a086558e295fb0100772b340f4a.png

I am reminded of the recent datamine, the one where the pig has a hockey mask on and a butchers outfit. That would actually be cool to see for Hallowed Nights, the opposite of a gingerpig hunt. The player is the one who needs to run.

Archived