Tons of unreleased content

2 minutes ago, WhackE said:
  Reveal hidden contents

stuff you said

If I were to give some constructive critique, well they don't fit at all with the other spiders, they look really out of place, and that's probably because their colours don't match right as well as there face being vastly different from all the other designs.

Shattered spiders are the most out there design, but they're mutated spiders so it's believable. But Nurse Spiders look Alien and look more like an ONI design which is ironic since Shattered spiders are basically half alien.

I can agree some and disagree some due to the fact that a lotta things in the game are kinda usually are alien in general. IRL fauna can be pretty weird all things considered. The odd design could be just due to the fact that those spiders don't go out much out of their nests and now Spider queens spit them out big and mutated to fight or something along the lines... 

Overall I think it's fine as is but could have bit of backside details changed, but I guess over all things it's the coloring what makes some people feel ticked off by it. It's pretty damn colorful all things considered, then again main that is the reason and feature to that they are just nursers of the nest that weren't meant to fight and evolved to stay out of light at all times to watch over the young. At least that's my theory on why Klei artists chose that look.

6 minutes ago, SuperMeatGoy said:

I mean to be fair the "scrapped concepts" were fully fleshed out pieces of art that people put effort into aswell, and what he said wasnt even inflammatory. Above all things he is a fan of DST just like all of us and he's comparing klei art to klei art. He's not doing this to make people mad or to hate on the game.

Perhaps "scrapped assets" would be a more appropriate term for these files then, but I was just saying that the ORIGINAL critique WhackE made wasn't very constructive. Moreover, I think it's important to remember that there are multiple artists working at klei. 

Even the art of team members who have worked on DS and DST from the start is bound to change and evolve. So when folks compare the old art and the new art- this should be taken into consideration. Plus, any newer artists who are contributing work towards the game probably wouldn't appreciate the insinuation that their contributions are somehow worse than their predecessors. 

I definitely don't think WhackE was trying to spread hate for the game- otherwise they wouldnt even bother reading these forums, and I think the critique they just posted was solid and brought up some good points. 

Absolutely no hate towards ppl making critiques! Just think its better to make them productive rather than bitter. 

1 hour ago, WhackE said:

If I were to give some constructive critique, well they don't fit at all with the other spiders, they look really out of place, and that's probably because their colours don't match right as well as there face being vastly different from all the other designs.

Shattered spiders are the most out there design, but they're mutated spiders so it's believable. But Nurse Spiders look Alien and look more like an ONI design which is ironic since Shattered spiders are basically half alien.

Don't take it badly, but I don't think this is constructive criticism because you are not offering suggestions to improve the current design besides "do it so it fits in place."  What even are the colours of spiders? Who sets these rules? Maybe nurse spiders do not have to "fit the spider standard", why should they? If you're an artist, as you said, maybe you could draw one yourself so we know better what you mean by "fitting spiders"? That would be more constructive IMO.

In general, it is ok to disagree with any aspect of the game, but an opinion is only helpful if we state why we disagree and we give options on how to improve.

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Snip

When I read people's comments on this thread or others, I felt sad myself and I'm not even connected to Klei in more ways than just being a fan. 

I just want to say, I adore your games so much. I tried many of them, and they all are clearly made with passion and love to the project at hand. As a person that simply plays them, pays for them and enjoys them, it's very very clear to me. And I don't doubt most other fans feel the same. 

The ridiculous expectations people place on creators of any kind are just that. Ridiculous. Sometimes they have a point, but sometimes they have no idea what they're talking about. 

Klei are the game developers here. They made so many good and fun games. I trust Klei over other people's judgement, and I bet many others do as well. 

For me the problem I see with Nurse Spiders is.. they look too different from Normal Spider and Warrior Spider - both offsprings of Spider Queen. Below is my view on a simple fix to make current form a bit more similar to mentioned Normal and Warrior as opposed to the current "alien" aspect:

nurse-spider_problem-fix.png.0e57b390bab4c6e1aae97c3589ece142.png

Namely: the eyes. While is ok for Cave Spiders to have one big eye, an offspring of Spider Queen should be more similar in general features with the other 2 brethren/variants that spawn from her. Color palette is ok, orange as honey suggesting the healing properties. But in my opinion all 3 of them should retain similar facial features. Likewise legs should be a bit more thin, like in my example above. A neat quick fix, keeping its basic design, but more align with its 2 direct already-existing "relatives".

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

But in my opinion all 3 of them should retain similar facial features.

My opinion is nearly the opposite to be honest.

My main qualm IS the color. The dark blue-esk body very much makes me feel it belongs in the caves. 

Normal is black.

Warrior is black and yellow.

So why not have it be black and orange? (Brown legs are ok if a bit slimmer)

In my opinion the problem with the Nurse Spider is that it lacks the sketchy fur other spiders have. The Cave Spider and Shattered spider also lack this but their bodies don't look that they have fur or that they are organic, however the Nurse Spider has full body color even though it shows that has fur.

2 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

nurse-spider_problem-fix.png.0e57b390bab4c6e1aae97c3589ece142.png

Spoiler
9 hours ago, Cunning fox said:

I won't post the whole thing with skins here, but... The "Young" collection is actually not just a concept, they are actual unreleased skins. Posting in low quality on purpose.
image.png.ac0d9caf56e8d8712c6b32bd1dce50a3.png

image.png.684a0e36b0ff1507c5689bd793052002.png

Wait, do you guys think this means that Wickerbottom's hair is canonically genetically red/orange? Yo, @Tim S., check this out, Wickerbottom might be a 2313! :wilson_laugh:

__

Also, about the whole criticism thing...

Spoiler

Many people have different opinions. That's just a fact. And as many other people have said, over time, people's art styles change... not just as individuals, but also as groups. It's just how people develop through experience, trial and error, and feedback. Not everyone is going to be satisfied with the current art style, and not everyone is going to be satisfied with the old art style. But if the Klei developers are proud of their work and the commitment and dedication they've put into said work, they should be proud of that. 

And, again as people have said, criticism is fine, but simply stating that the "new art style is not as good as the old one" as if it were an objective fact just sounds.... like WX-78 commenting on anything that's organic, and it can be hurtful to those who worked hard on their designs. If you would like to share your opinion regarding the art, then say it as if it were an opinion (e.g. "Ah, I miss the old art style that these assets are in! The direction Klei has been going with recently hasn't appealed to me personally, such as the nurse spiders' designs." sounds much less biting than "It's incredible how much of these look so much better... But instead we get nurse spiders..."). I know WhackE didn't mean anything harsh by it, but it's much more difficult to discern intent when words are not chosen with consideration for others' feelings.

And one more thing regarding opinions; the opinions and perspectives of the majority are not automatically factual ones.

___

Anyway, sorry that I rehashed this right as it ended, I just wanted to add my own input. If anyone wants to reply and further discuss, maybe we should just start a different topic in the Off-Topic area or something? 

12 hours ago, fierysage1 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Wait, do you guys think this means that Wickerbottom's hair is canonically genetically red/orange? Yo, @Tim S., check this out, Wickerbottom might be a 2313! :wilson_laugh:

__

Also, about the whole criticism thing...

Reveal hidden contents

Many people have different opinions. That's just a fact. And as many other people have said, over time, people's art styles change... not just as individuals, but also as groups. It's just how people develop through experience, trial and error, and feedback. Not everyone is going to be satisfied with the current art style, and not everyone is going to be satisfied with the old art style. But if the Klei developers are proud of their work and the commitment and dedication they've put into said work, they should be proud of that. 

And, again as people have said, criticism is fine, but simply stating that the "new art style is not as good as the old one" as if it were an objective fact just sounds.... like WX-78 commenting on anything that's organic, and it can be hurtful to those who worked hard on their designs. If you would like to share your opinion regarding the art, then say it as if it were an opinion (e.g. "Ah, I miss the old art style that these assets are in! The direction Klei has been going with recently hasn't appealed to me personally, such as the nurse spiders' designs." sounds much less biting than "It's incredible how much of these look so much better... But instead we get nurse spiders..."). I know WhackE didn't mean anything harsh by it, but it's much more difficult to discern intent when words are not chosen with consideration for others' feelings.

And one more thing regarding opinions; the opinions and perspectives of the majority are not automatically factual ones.

___

Anyway, sorry that I rehashed this right as it ended, I just wanted to add my own input. If anyone wants to reply and further discuss, maybe we should just start a different topic in the Off-Topic area or something? 

Ah, beautiful! Gonna whip out paint.net this afternoon haha
Much obliged!

PS:
I wonder if she's somehow related to the other redheads.. maybe Wagstaff knew her and she somehow helped him create WX-78? At least that would explain this weird connection that's been there since forever.. maybe WX-Plans were somehow found in the personal belongings of Wickerbottom? Wagstaff doesn't seem British (according to his steering wheel and his factory presumably based in America), so maybe he knew Wickerbottom from somewhere?
RWP_229_Conspiracy_Board_Behind_The_Scenes.png.ce91d4715748cf3638e13a2f4a9d691e.png

I myself found it peculiar how Wickerbottom's quote for examining Frazzled Wires was changed in DST

"I do hope WX-78 is feeling alright." - Wickerbottom, exam. Frazzled Wires (DST)
"I do hope the automaton is feeling alright." - Wickerbottom, exam. Frazzled Wires (DS) [EDIT: Not from DS, it was just the previous DST quote, which they changed for whatever reason]

Especially since she still calls him automaton sometimes.
"Ah, the automaton. Greetings, dear %s!" - Wickerbottom, exam. WX-78 Generic (DST)

To my knowledge, she's the only person who uses WX-78 "full name". Maybe there's some connection in his creation relating to Winonas conspiracy-board?
(some characters call him WX though so idk, prolly just nothing important)

IMO there are 3 problems with the Nurse Spider's design that make people think it looks out-of-place or like some sort of ONI critter.

A) They gave it a smooth shell and cave spider legs for something that isnt a cave spider. This is further exasperated by the fact that it's body and leg colors are the same respective colors as spitters and cave spiders body and legs. 

B) The colors. I think giving the spider a color scheme of blue and orange was a bad idea. Warriors also have a saturated color but they have a design consistent with the other spiders and don't look out of place. 

C) The general design. For some reason instead of making it look like a don't starve spider, the design seems to have disregarded the design of the original spiders completely and went straight from square one, taking inspiration from real life spiders all the way. It also does not help that they shaded the orange sacs (assumably they are sacs because I see them buff up just before the spider's ground pound that summons the healing ring)  on the nurse spider's head like eyes which confuses people even more. It looks too much like a spider NOT trying to look a Dont Starve spider and that makes it loose all it's charm when you see some alien rectanguloid creature with mandibles and oval compound eyes. All of these choices to make the design so different end up making it look like a cancelled ONI monster or an alien space crab. 

I would suggest my own sort of redesign like @x0-VERSUS-1y but in my opinion it would need a new design. I dont care if my criticism is constructive or not but I'm just saying what my impression of the new mob is as a consumer in a respectful manner. I feel as if the design should have stayed scrapped since it looks more like a cancelled critter from ONI rather than DST. This art-style change has been visible by me for the past few years now but I believe this new mob has overstepped the boundary that dictates whether a design is worth complaining about or not by some of the community.

6 hours ago, Tim S. said:

Wagstaff doesn't seem British (according to his steering wheel and his factory presumably based in America), so maybe he knew Wickerbottom from somewhere?

not even presumably. he's very american

"The radio is a Voxola PR-76, manufactured in 1919 by the Voxola Radio company of Sidney, Ohio. The radio offered revolutionary sound and reception quality for the time, and was promoted by an intense national marketing campaign. Very few units were actually produced, because the factory was destroyed in a fire only days after production began. Voxola founder Robert Wagstaff went missing the night of the fire, and the company declared bankruptcy soon thereafter." (source)

6 hours ago, Tim S. said:

"I do hope WX-78 is feeling alright." - Wickerbottom, exam. Frazzled Wires (DST)
"I do hope the automaton is feeling alright." - Wickerbottom, exam. Frazzled Wires (DS)

her quote for frazzled wires on the wiki is "A tangled mess of wires, not much good for anything." i dont actually own solo dont starve so i can't confirm this, but if you do or anyone else does, please let me know because this implication is amazing

also looked through all times they were mentioned (excluding character examining character quotes), and how they were addressed: 

wx-78: wickerbottom (frazzled wires), maxwell (frazzled wires)
wx: willow (frazzled wires), wolfgang (lying robot), wendy (lying robot), webber (gears)
other: winona (bot, lying robot), walter (robot, frazzled wires)

it is possible that the other characters are aware of wx-78's full name, they just choose to shorten it. but it is interesting how only wickerbottom and maxwell, two of the most knowlegable characters call wx by their full name. could either be because they prefer it, maybe it feels more formal (wickerbottom especially tends to be formal), or they know something the other characters dont

1 hour ago, SkyistheGround said:

her quote for frazzled wires on the wiki is "A tangled mess of wires, not much good for anything." i dont actually own solo dont starve so i can't confirm this, but if you do or anyone else does, please let me know because this implication is amazing

also looked through all times they were mentioned (excluding character examining character quotes), and how they were addressed: 

wx-78: wickerbottom (frazzled wires), maxwell (frazzled wires)
wx: willow (frazzled wires), wolfgang (lying robot), wendy (lying robot), webber (gears)
other: winona (bot, lying robot), walter (robot, frazzled wires)

it is possible that the other characters are aware of wx-78's full name, they just choose to shorten it. but it is interesting how only wickerbottom and maxwell, two of the most knowlegable characters call wx by their full name. could either be because they prefer it, maybe it feels more formal (wickerbottom especially tends to be formal), or they know something the other characters dont

Ah, lemme just double check that just to be sure!

So, plucked straight from the current DST-Speech files:
"         TRINKET_6 = "I do hope WX-78 is feeling alright.", --Frazzled Wires    "  - Wickerbottom's files (DST)
"         TRINKET_6 = "I might hide those in the robot's bedroll if I get bored.", --Frazzled Wires         " - Maxwell's files (DST)

That's very (!) interesting! The quote you gave Frazzled Wires- "I might hide those in WX-78's bedroll if I get bored." is from the game Wiki, so even the one case where Maxwell used to call him WX-78 got cancelled haha, it seems only Wickerbottom remains as far as I know.
Buut 
"        TRINKET_6 = "A tangled mess of wires, not much good for anything.",   "- Wickerbottom's files (DS)

Frazzled Wires- "I do hope the automaton is feeling alright." - was in the removed category of DST-quotes. I am mistaken and glad you corrected that part, thank you!

Still, the point remains, they straight up changed the "automaton" to "WX-78" in Wicker's DST-Quotes and did the opposite for Maxwell, which seems even more random (if not suspicious haha) 

Edit: If anyone else finds a recent DST-quote of someone calling him WX-78, please add!

19 hours ago, Zeklo said:

Never expected to see Brrrd!

Was always curious after stumbling upon their sound files. 

Crazy stuff here.

Im sorry but when did their sound files appear?

Even though I remember fumigators and tortoise kings, I dont remember Brrrd.

7 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Im sorry but when did their sound files appear?

Even though I remember fumigators and tortoise kings, I dont remember Brrrd.

Long enough for me to not remember exactly.

I mentioned stumbling upon the sound files in a datamining thread, but it never gained the same attention like fumigator did. Honestly that might have been the singular time it was brought up.

Archived