Tons of unreleased content

Some of our super long time fans will recognize some of the stuff in there, it's been seen before. I believe the majority of those are "Through the Ages" concepts. A suggestion was made to the Newhome team that they could potentially take some of the designs like slipster and use them because fans wanted to see them and we had moved on from those original design goals. I am just guessing at the moment that it's part of that process. 

We DO hold on to these and we do occasionally resurrect them in one form or the other. 

But - I guess I am going to be a bit candid now because some of these comments kind of bum me out. 

Don't Starve as a franchise has existed for over 10 years now in our studio and a lot of people have worked on it at various times. Klei as a studio tries to really let our developers have their own say and their own spin on things. So, repurposing old art isn't exactly "fun" for a lot of people. Ands while we try our best to do good by the community and our players, we also want to enjoy what we do. So you will see our artists and designers express themselves through their work and their own interpretations of this game. 

We're not trying to pump out "more DS" - we're trying to make something fun and engaging for you and for ourselves. And then we slip in some old stuff from time to time when we like specific concepts and they fit with our current design goals. 

I am saying this as a gamer myself. But sometimes you need to try to look at things from another perspective. Do you really want game developers (Klei and otherwise) to be so chained down to what the community thinks "how things are supposed to be" that they can't experiment and move on from concepts they don't like and make what they love? I can tell you, our team loves the work that we do, and we persevere to keep coming up with new and interesting things day after day. Not everybody is going to like everything, but we try. 

This is a big reason we share mostly only the concepts for stuff we keep and less ideas we ditch. I am being protective here a bit, and I hope you as a reader can understand why. There are real people behind the art you see, please respect that.

Thanks.  

30 minutes ago, WhackE said:

Wow it's incredible how much of these look so much better than what we have now and are unused, I'm surprised no one at Klei ever thought about reusing any of this. But instead we get Nurse spiders....

Remember that there are people with feelings behind game/art development.

38 minutes ago, WhackE said:

Wow it's incredible how much of these look so much better than what we have now and are unused, I'm surprised no one at Klei ever thought about reusing any of this. But instead we get Nurse spiders....

nobody cares :wilson_cool:

40 minutes ago, WhackE said:

2 minutes ago, Danieru said:

nobody cares :wilson_cool:

Why not both?588497c65ec72_arielconfusedshrug.png.7e28189e6a68c2fc214fa6e2c0815879.png

I won't take this being silent, I know there are humans behind the art, real people with feelings, I'm an artist in fact. But I'm allowed to voice what I think, honestly surprised to get called out by Joe indirectly and maybe even flattered?  I'm sure your artists can take my criticism even they think it's bad criticism even if you disagree with it, which all I'm saying is the Nurse spider looks bad, because they do.

I don't feel like I've said anything wrong because a lot of new art doesn't fit with the "style" and a lot of the art here looks really good, and some of it is basically finished even? I can understand a lot of things get scrapped that's fine, and if things here don't get added I won't complain, that's not my point anyways.

I will say what I want, And anyone is allowed to disagree. 

10 minutes ago, WhackE said:

I won't take this being silent, I know there are humans behind the art, real people with feelings, I'm an artist in fact. But I'm allowed to voice what I think, honestly surprised to get called out by Joe indirectly and maybe even flattered?  I'm sure your artists can take my criticism even they think it's bad criticism even if you disagree with it, which all I'm saying is the Nurse spider looks bad, because they do.

I don't feel like I've said anything wrong because a lot of new art doesn't fit with the "style" and a lot of the art here looks really good, and some of it is basically finished even? I can understand a lot of things get scrapped that's fine, and if things here don't get added I won't complain, that's not my point anyways.

They creep me out more than the supposedly "too scary" shattered spiders

12 minutes ago, WhackE said:

I mean yea sure you can voice things out, but you gotta bare in mind that if they were going to go in that direction DST might look a lot different. Instead Klei and their artists took another direction to what they see as fitting. Though for real - the way ya said there with "better than we have now" is a bit too much to just yell at when there was a lotta work for what we got now that's been added. Voicing things out is fine, but try to not literally slander people's work since they do their own thing and set things into the game as they thing it fits. There's a lotta artists likely working together to figure out which direction DST artstyles should be going overall.

Please take with a grain of salt to at least put some criticism and suggestions to how they could improve it than dragging this into the mud with your comments. I'm an artist too and even I try to restrain myself. I think ya need a reminder that there's etiquette to these things.

To an art critique people's works no matter good or bad shouldn't be like 'WOOW that looks bad! It belongs to the trash can!' no, nonono my dear, that will hurt them either for bad or for worse. You gotta take time to observe, point out the problems and offer own alternative solution. If they won't change things then best you don't antagonize them with demands, since it was their decision and so you must respect them for what they do even if you won't like it. If it irritates you greatly is best to just leave it.

26 minutes ago, WhackE said:

Not calling you out specifically - it's not just your post or just this thread. Constructive criticisms are totally fine. Just trying to make sure it stays that way. 

2 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Not calling you out specifically - it's not just your post or just this thread. Constructive criticisms are totally fine. Just trying to make sure it stays that way. 

Will do!

27 minutes ago, WhackE said:

I mean yea, say whatever you want but you've gotta understand that there's a proper way to critique art. Just insulting people ISNT a critique. If you could point out WHAT specifically you think doesnt work with the nurse spiders, that would be a better start. Its also REALLY inconsiderate of all the work that game devs go through to polish concepts up. Clearly, those these concepts are cool, they didn't make the cut for implementation in the final game. The devs had already considered how those ideas would have impacted gameplay, and decided that in order to push out a game that they are PROUD of, these ideas arent needed.  

TLDR 

The devs go through a whole process to make a high quality game that they are proud of, and saying the scrapped concepts look better than content we have now is REALLY rude. 

1 minute ago, alphapaint said:

The devs go through a whole process to make a high quality game that they are proud of, and saying the scrapped concepts look better than content we have now is REALLY rude. 

Considering the Nurse Spider was a scrapped design, and it wasn't even the original artist who decided it should be added, I would say it was due for a redesign.

2 year old scrapped design at that

5 minutes ago, WhackE said:

Considering the Nurse Spider was a scrapped design, and it wasn't even the original artist who decided it should be added, I would say it was due for a redesign.

2 year old scrapped design at that

Personally - the only thing I'd change for nurse spiders is their backs, from behind they look like blue tacos with legs.

Overall I don't see much bad about it, it's kinda a unique design.

1 minute ago, alphapaint said:

I mean to be fair the "scrapped concepts" were fully fleshed out pieces of art that people put effort into aswell, and what he said wasnt even inflammatory. Above all things he is a fan of DST just like all of us and he's comparing klei art to klei art. He's not doing this to make people mad or to hate on the game.

If I were to give some constructive critique, well they don't fit at all with the other spiders, they look really out of place, and that's probably because their colours don't match right as well as there face being vastly different from all the other designs.

Shattered spiders are the most out there design, but they're mutated spiders so it's believable. But Nurse Spiders look Alien and look more like an ONI design which is ironic since Shattered spiders are basically half alien.

12 minutes ago, alphapaint said:

I mean yea, say whatever you want but you've gotta understand that there's a proper way to critique art. Just insulting people ISNT a critique. If you could point out WHAT specifically you think doesnt work with the nurse spiders, that would be a better start. Its also REALLY inconsiderate of all the work that game devs go through to polish concepts up. Clearly, those these concepts are cool, they didn't make the cut for implementation in the final game. The devs had already considered how those ideas would have impacted gameplay, and decided that in order to push out a game that they are PROUD of, these ideas arent needed.  

TLDR 

Archived