Tell Me Your Loot Ideas!

So, some bosses have meh loot, but I also want to give credit to Klei for avoiding power creep, with the strongest weapon in the game staying at the top for 8 solid years (lets forget about spicy volt goat for now). It's not easy adding new stuff that doesn't make old things redundant. 

For that reason, I wanted to start a thread to see what kind of loot ideas people could come up with, especially new items. Existing items that I thought of would be pretty much all non-renewables. A boss that dropped around 5 mushrooms to plant permanently would be nice. I'd personally like to see boss armour that can actually be used as armour, without needing to be refuelable. My best idea is a suit or hat with 70% absorption, but hitstun immunity, for a boss around the size of Malbatross. Maybe even something that you can add onto existing armour that would give it those properties, so you can choose hat or body for combos.

Let me know what you would like to see as a boss (or miniboss) drop, especially new concepts.

52 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

I just want the living artifact in dst, it's not the most useful but it's certainly one of the most fun items in the game

The fight against the CC reminds me of the Iron Hulk too, so I'm kinda surprised there isn't a more similar loot. Fully agree! It's a bad-ass item and fun as hell, too.

I like stupid crap that doesn't do anything. I'm probably a minority opinion but my favorite items genuinely are the ones that don't do anything particularly useful. The funcaps look silly and spoil your inventory, the fashion melon makes you insane & freezing, the cookie cutter cap is typically not as useful as other much easier to obtain armors, the snurtle shell & bee queen crown are situationally very useful but I just wear them because they look ridiculous, and the only thing stopping me from wearing a slurper 24/7 is they hop off when they become satiated (and they starve me to death, I guess).

Klei could add a boss that takes 25 minutes to kill and all you get is a hat that makes your character constantly talk about how itchy it is and I would be all over it.

Hands down, most lackluster loot in game pertains to Crab King - for so many possible Gem combinations, his Strident Trident as only bon regardless of said combinations is just disappointing (Meat, Bells, and Celestial Tribute don't count in relation to mentioned high number of possible combinations). Each gems combination could've had a particular loot table, like all/majority Blue - related to Ice attacks - translating in a special blueprint for some Endothermic station akin Scaled Furnace for example. Hence repeatability value for this otherwise pretty engaging fight, with interesting mechanics.

For me, second vexing loot belongs to Celestial Champion: for a supposed end-game boss, basically a Tam O' + Miner Hat hybrid tiara doesn't cut it (even with the deconstruction trick for infinite Shroom lights), more-so since one needs to be >85% sanity to benefit from its light effect and damage-assist. By extension, final Celestial Tab options (post-win against CC) is a let-down as well: with only Moon Glass Axes and Glass Cutters, compared to Ancient Tab options (complete Station), is a proverbial load of barks and no bites - no Lunar Armors, Amulets, special builds that are truly useful whatsoever and reflect an end-game difficult fight bon.

Basically functional items, giving utility, even contextual.

Boat add-ons/upgrades via specific boss-fights would've been excellent too - like a mini Scaled Furnace as Mast upgrade (again, CK could've been the ideal candidate for such loot, let's say through all/majority Red/Yellow gems socketing).

The blunderbus would be an excellent item i feel, nerf the damage down to 100(and be unaffected by damage multis) and you have a ranged weapon thats too expensive to use regularly but is totally viable if you really want it. Bonus points if you can load slurtle slime for 50 damage. Id like it to drop from a giant koalaphant boss that has a 1% chance to spawn from a hunt. It would really liven up the ranged weapon scene without taking away from walter since its not too too powerful. I’d imagine with the loading you’d be able to almost match a walter with marble. except walter doesnt need gunpowder for every shot. 

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Klei could add a boss that takes 25 minutes to kill and all you get is a hat that makes your character constantly talk about how itchy it is and I would be all over it.

whod put their character through that, you monster

Also, have either Crabking or Malbatross drop something to force raining

1 hour ago, Wardin25 said:

whod put their character through that, you monster

im still thinking that CK should drop an ocarine to make rain. He drops shells so why not a ocarine shell that summons rain like in the legend of zelda (or like the one from sw used in rog). Give it 5 or 10 uses and i would kill CK non stop

Crabking should drop its imposing claws as a drop. Maybe they can form a superior pinching winch and that can be thrown like a fishing rod to recover sunken treasure. It should have a limited number of uses. The recipe can be crab claws, fishing rod and gears 

I made suggestion in the suggest subforum about the celestial champion dropping a moon glass ocarina that makes it rain. Moon glass tools that have special effects according to the phases of the moon would be pretty cool.

Crab king has the worst loot for his difficulty. I think it dropping a fountain that has different effect depending on what gem you slot would be cool, as well as changing the color of the fountains water. Gems will break after a certain amount of use and you can use the fountain to collect water.

Blue gem - Cooling aurora last 30 days (like the furnace)

Red gem- Heals players similar to the tent but doesn't consume hunger nor restore sanity. Very large radius (1 screen) will only heal a combined of 1000 hp per red gem. Will not activate if the player has another hp regen going on. I imagine this being a good way to heal at camp passively. 

Yellow gem- Provides natural sunlight and auto "pets" plants in a vicinity, even off screen. Grants a small amount sanity over time in a large radius. Lasts 60 days. 

Orange gem- waters all plants in a vicinity.

Green gem- speeds up plant (berry bushes, grass, etc) growth by 25% and keeps them from wilting (crops too. Also keeps forget-me-lots from bolting). Last 15 days.

Purple gem- Slowly drains the health from nightmares but will not kill them (within 1 screen). Lasts 1 day.

I agree I am glad Klei has avoided the power creep. Though I do think it makes sense to add items that replace/upgrade others late game. In fact we already have a few of these.

• Salt box is a sort of upgrade to the fridge
  • Waterflowl can is an upgrade to the watering can
  • The Lazy Explorer is an upgrade to the Walking Cane
  • Winged Sale is an upgrade to the Mast
  • Scaled chest is an upgrade to the regular chests

All of these upgrades can be obtained after defeating a boss or doing some late game activity.

I think crab king needs a drop like this. He's a late game boss and is pretty difficult. Maybe the trident will be more useful in the next two content updates this year (assuming they are sea related, fingers crossed). Maybe he drops a blueprint for an upgraded ice staff (1.5-2x freezing power)? Another random idea I had that's probably terrible. The CK drops his shell. Maybe you could use the shell for different things. Only semi-good idea I could come up with is maybe placing it on a tier-3 spider nest that prevents it from becoming a spider queen shrug.

I changed my mind on the Malbatross. I think it's drops are decent enough for the difficultly. It gives two drops that allow you to upgrade fairly simple things (watering can & mast). I think the drop (Enlightened Crown) for the Celestial Champion is awesome. It's a good late game item and I think is fairly balanced.

One thing that I would like to see buffed is the Cookie Cutter Cap (CCC). The Football helmet has 315 durability and 80% protection. The CCC has 525 durability and 70% protection. Seeing how easy it is to farm pig skins there's really never a reason to use the CCC. The cookie cutters are not easy to farm, require a lot of time to get, and is more of a late game thing. The cookie cutter only has a 25% chance to drop a cookie cutter shell (and you need 4 to make the CCC) as opposed to only needing 1 pig skin for a football helm. Granted, cookie cutters have a lot less health, but as I previously stated it's very easy to farm pig skin and I don't think there's a way to farm cookie cutters. For these reasons I think the CCC should be buffed. Maybe make it 80% protection and/or increase the durability to 600. This way it's an actual upgrade to the football helm that's worth the effort.

5 hours ago, Wardin25 said:

Klei is working on an item that will force rain if I remember correctly. I expect it to arrive with the midsummer carnival but that's just my guess

2 hours ago, X-lem said:

Though I do think it makes sense to add items that replace/upgrade others late game. In fact we already have a few of these. Salt box is a sort of upgrade to the fridge

Salt box can barely hold anything inside of it, definitely not an upgrade or replacement. It's nice to have it be complementary alongside the ice box but if I had the choice between ice box or salt box I'd definitely go for ice.

1 hour ago, BezKa said:

Klei is working on an item that will force rain if I remember correctly.

When they patched the mosling bug out 10,000 years ago before the dawn of man they said they were thinking about adding a better way to force rain. 

17 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Salt box can barely hold anything inside of it, definitely not an upgrade or replacement.

I never said upgrade or replacement, I said a sort of upgrade. Sure, one of it's downsides is that it can't hold some kinds of foods or cooked food, but it does have advantages over the icebox.

Varg skin or fur that crafts a hat or vest that makes you blend among Hounds

Rockjaw' jaw for a boat upgrade to prevent leaks from collision 

I think remains of Crab King's rock shell would be a good decoration

Antlion can have another drop apart from the Lazy Deserter giving a reason for solo players to attend or kill her though I'm still not sure what could be

On 5/17/2021 at 10:50 PM, Cheggf said:

. The funcaps look silly and spoil your inventory,

Not related to the point your making but I actually  find funcaps very useful, great for reduced hunger drain without wasting your body slot on belt of hunger and if you carry your food in ice chester the spoilage effect isn't an issue. If you catch the spores you can continue to amass mushrooms even faster as well. 

I really like the Crab King dropping a Ocarina Shell would allow the player to control rain. It would have ten uses, and every time you blow it, it would cause nonstop light rain for two whole days. Using it in the caves wouldn't work, and using it while it is raining would cause it to rain a lot harder. I would love an item like this. So much that I would probably always have one on me and I would kill Crab King every chance I could. Now, you may be wondering, what is so good about being able to call down rain whenever you want?

First, the basic stuff. Making it rain allows Volt Goats to be charged and other small things. These aren't the things I would be exited about.

Second, and probably the best part about an ability like this. Rain makes it so that wildfires won't happen during midsummer days. All you have to do is blow it every two days and your base is safe. No expensive flingos required. For people who base in the Oasis, rain stops the annoying sandstorm as long as it's raining, so there is that.

Third, and probably the most practical use. Being able to call rain allows everything on the surface to become wet as long as it's raining. Wet mobs' health will be shredded if using Volt Goat Chaid-Froid, Morning Stars, and Electric Blow Darts. Being able to call down rain, and make things wet, whenever you want to makes this item extremely good for combat as well.

Seriously, this is something I would mod in, if I knew how to mod.

Archived