New Trailer Lore Discussion

a lot of theories get stronger

charlie sharing shape with the torch owner is kinda confirmed aswell as the torch using/controlling a white source of energy that after the introduction of the moon island we could suppose it was the moon energy but now is also confirmed

charlie controls the nightmere throne and now her ancient part wants to worship or controll the moon again

is wagstaff tricked by charlie to summon the champion or he will be in the middle of her plans meanwhile he does scifi grandpa stuff?

So from what I've collected, They, are that figure in the moon, as well as the eye from the Metheus puzzle inside the portal.

Charlie is using the torch bearers torch for sure, this is why it can see the eye in the moon.

Here's where things get a little more interesting

The torch bearer put the eye to sleep, and broke the portal to stop anyone from ever reactivating it, or at least, summoning Them

Alter is in place to stop anyone from trying to awaken the moon, hence the Champion coming to stop you from taking the energy, Charlie is trying to re-awaken Them to harness the power the ancients once had.

Sorry if this is a little incoherent, It's mostly just my ramblings, and if anyone has a different view or whatever, I would love to know

17 minutes ago, Erineyes7 said:

The torch bearer put the eye to sleep

Spoiler

In Darkest Dungeon, the player has to use sacrifices to clog the heart. You can't win Darkest Dungeon, only prevent the inevitable.

so no ending possibly, Charlie might not be a villain after all, just... "antagonist" without the villainy.

Spoiler for another game but still.

Axiom, a statement held to be true... Visus, to see/sight/vision... Together it would be (roughly) "A vision of [the] truth"

When Charlie raises the Torch, Gestalts are absorbed by it, similar to what she does to the Gateway in the Forge cinematic. Positioning the Torch so the flame covers the "Moon" reveals the sleeping eye, which stirs as though disturbed in its slumber. What is already known in the beta is that once all 3 Celestial pieces are placed in close proximity, the eye or "Alter" awakens and gazes upon the Constant. When this happens Moonstorms sweep the land and Wagstaff seeks the Lunar essence. Activating Alter's Guardian and defeating resets the moon.

Parallels: Champion and Fuelweaver, both beings of phenomenal cosmic power, both endeavor to keep those who try to exploit those powers at bay, both upon defeat drop powerful items, both from times long and best left forgotten. 

Charlie's motives, or Metheus', are still shrouded in mystery but this much is known: Balance is tipping, The Shadow War continues, the survivors are clueless, and those privy to this knowledge keep it behind tight lips.

Edit: Upon closer inspection there are chains with a gap where the moon cracked.

where was the torch all this time? it is a relic from the ancients. we only see it in the murals and nowhere else. did charlie got it when she became queen? if so, could have maxwell also acessed it while he was the king?

edit: i am not considering the skin to be the real tragic torch, of course.

Oh my god, the hype train is hypeing!

First of all, is it just me or does Charlie look more and more human in these shorts? Especially stuff like the short look of insecurity on her face when she turns away from the Gestalts being absorbed.

All I can add right now about the moon-thing the torch reveals is that the eye seems to be the middle of a cluster with connections to something on all sides (and that I thought it was a mouth on first glance). If the absorption of Gestalts is what used to power the torch even in the past when the old Metheus used it, then I'm also wondering if this was a morally unproblematic thing to do.

8 minutes ago, VouMorrer said:

where was the torch all this time? it is a relic from the ancients. we only see it in the murals and nowhere else. did charlie got it when she became queen? if so, could have maxwell also acessed it while he was the king?

I think Charlie has it because she shares a body and partly a mind with Metheus who knows where the torch would be. No idea where she stored it though

6 minutes ago, VouMorrer said:

another thing. if the torch is here.. where is the staff? in the murals the staff is shown way more powerful than the torch, so it is probably a big deal.

1 minute ago, Just-guy said:

It appears to be the Walking Cane

staff.PNG.ce4c7cc8db1222dccbfa4426aa488261.PNG

i mean.. yes, there is a walking cane skin for the ancient staff but i mean the REAL ancient staff, the same one the guy in the murals hold, the original relic itself, with the power of summoning the darkness.

unless the skin is considered to be the real staff. do you think it is?

I did some little patchworking, and guess what I made:

1875372285_beforeafter.thumb.png.f75dd4d22b849d5acb044cfd459c6882.png

ONE OF THE LEGS IS MISSING WHERE THE MOON FELL OFF!!! (Which @RobKozoki pointed out to me).

AND YOU KNOW WHAT, THE GATEWAY HAD 6 THINGS TO IT TOO!!! 

(More on that while I connect those pieces)

I forgot to say this, but to me, the "moon"looks like it is trying to keep something under wraps

7 hours ago, lakhnish said:

I did some little patchworking, and guess what I made:

Spoiler

1875372285_beforeafter.thumb.png.f75dd4d22b849d5acb044cfd459c6882.png

Excellent job haha!

Keep in mind the dark eye above the Staff-Wielders head in the murals.

DarkeyeClosed.png.4cdcf8b756197d7c548dd15088af90d4.pngDarkeye.png.411977162a182e6fbfdaebe4084b4a46.png1875372285_beforeafter.thumb.png.f75dd4d22b849d5acb044cfd459c6882.png.6e3459c8aafab5b77b699714c6120e7d.png

It was closed during the times of progress and peace, whereas it opened when manure hit the fan.
I think it's been said before, but it seems the downfall of the Ancients coincides the awakening of the eye.
I just hope Metheus knows what she's doing...

Edit: or let's just say Charlie for now, got carried away with hyped speculation 

But look at Charlies face! Either she's determined, or she's absolutely furious! What if she hates Alter? If she's actually the bodily host for the Torch-Wielder she might simply blame Alter for the death of her husband and the ruin of their civilisation.. What if she's trying to kill Alter or take revenge on it and out of her rage doesn't fully comprehend the consequences?

Idk, but it's the first time I've seen her angry like that.. seems intentional to me.. I suppose she would mischievously grin as always, if she just saw the source of infinite power for her to take in Alter..

Spoiler

1792981260_Screenshot(468).thumb.png.5da321c4de636e8c06c331be7ea0f4fc.png

Archived