What would need to be changed for people to stop playing Don't Starve Together?

Looking back at terraria and the amount of hours I spent on it, abandoning the entire franchise is a shame, but had to be left behind to save me from being bitter as I tried to participate in playing it. For me it was pvp's fundamental mechanics and the behavior of blocks when building. As an avid builder, I was offended by these changes and lack of interest trying to correct what was detrimentally changed.

I digress. In a similar circumstance, what would Don't starve together need to do wrong to lose your patronage? 

The entire game is relatively fair and the community seems to be on the same page in general when it comes to what they want, but perhaps there's something the general audience is missing or taking for granted that you value more than anyone else

I can't name anything that specific, but if I were to give a rough example, infinite light via festive lights being patched out without a vanilla alternative would put me off for at least a few months. That and some glitches I won't bring to light that aren't particularly powerful or gamebreaking, but those I use to bring an extra dimension to my builds.

Those are just 2 examples, 1 being more specific and 1 being vague.

Let us know what changes you don't want in this game to understand what you appreciate in the game to this point.

Or if you don't play so much because of a patch you disagree with, what was the patch? 

Battle passes with limited time content I can only unlock by buying the pass and then also spending all my time on DST trying to complete it so I get the full benefits of what I paid for.

Other than that- The Tencent takeover: A hostile unfriendly new reign where the people I’ve come to love at Klei all end up replaced and a ton of nasty new changes I don’t like end up happening “pay to play/Pay to Win, Microtransactions, subscription fee’s 20$ + for one measly skin, loot box gambling for a chance to get what I want, etc...

Basically: All the stuff Mobile games get away with doing that should probably be considered illegal in my state.

If they dont add stuff to make the survival and exploration harder in the long term (in the early could be a nightmere for players that already have problems since is a complex game). Right now you can survive easily and the only challenge are boss fights so is kinda boring to survive easily and be forced to fight a boss to have spicy moments. Lunar grotto made a good job but is a tiny place where you only go to farm 2 materials (3 if in a future the mushrooms would be useful)

The world gen is good in this regard but for default worlds (that the player want to experience all the content) is repetitive to experience the exactly same 4 seasons over and over 

If they keep making the game casual plus the repetitive survival problem that i already said will make me left eventually

There are many things that could make me leave game, but probably we just need one of these:
- no new content (I'm rather casual lazy base builder for now, but even for me lack of new content or new challenges will be simply boring)
- deleting all mods ( >:C )
- removing game from steam and moving to epic/tencent only (I was asked for reasons, not if they are possible)
- Unbelievably awful thing in update which is supposed to be new core mechanic
- Pay2win (lets consider Wortox is not a pay2win despite what some people think)
- Deleting all my favorite characters (1/3 of all characters to be clear)

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Battle passes with limited time content I can only unlock by buying the pass and then also spending all my time on DST trying to complete it so I get the full benefits of what I paid for.

Other than that- The Tencent takeover: A hostile unfriendly new reign where the people I’ve come to love at Klei all end up replaced and a ton of nasty new changes I don’t like end up happening “pay to play/Pay to Win, Microtransactions, subscription fee’s 20$ + for one measly skin, loot box gambling for a chance to get what I want, etc...

Basically: All the stuff Mobile games get away with doing that should probably be considered illegal in my state.

^ Pretty much everything he just said lol. I’d also like the game to stay “uncompromising”. The challenges this game provides is what makes it fun for me.

I have a lot of reasons

• If the game becomes an Epic Games exclusive and taken off Steam
  • If mods get censored off the Steam Workshop directly by Klei when they don't 100% explicitly break Steam Guidelines or they stretch guidelines to remove mods off the Workshop (It's the Steam Workshop, not the Klei Workshop)
  • If they remove mod support for the game
  • If they remove re-upload mods from the Steam Workshop (Let people have their fun playing the game the way they want)
  • If they add any politically motivated events or anything political into DST (I wanna play a freaking game, not be preached to)
  • If they make the game online only and remove being able to play while offline
  • If they add stupid 3rd-party DRM into the game
  • If they add censorship mechanics like a language filter which cannot be disabled in the options
  • If they ban players from being able to play the game online due to player reports or a ban system which all things like that can always be abused
  • If they add shady poop.png.881934e3070e980e8cbb561e22d32e8c.png into the ToS for uploading mods to the Steam Workshop or playing the game
  • If they add too many micro-transactions other than character skins and characters
  • If they do something dumb like making a "remastered" version with high-res textures and 64-bit support and selling it as a separate game instead of just updating the current game with those things. I'd prefer they make a supporter skin pack if they badly want money for making all the textures high-res and updating the game to 64-bit instead of reselling the game as a different one with higher-res textures and 64-bit
  • If they absolutely ruin the game
  • If they remove tentacles
  • If they remove the grotesque horror mobs
  • If they make Charlie into a DLC character which you have to pay $4.99$ to use instead of being free (I'd prefer she isn't made into a playable character at all)
  • If they don't add a Chicken Dinner Winner Fortnite event within the next 42.0 years /s

14 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Do you have a source on this claim? I see it all the time but nobody ever actually explains, it's just treated as a fact that everyone is supposed to know.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=epic+store+spyware

Looks like quite mixed info about that. I assume one or other antivirus panicked and some people started to spread that stuff. Probably Epic store was collecting a lot of data about users (which could look like spyware, as they for sure collect data about software and hardware, preferred games, or IP - same does Steam). I believe Epic had very weak user protection, but none of sources looks specially believable about spyware. Officially denied but I wouldn't except any other answer, no matter if true or not.

tl;dr - probably there is no spyware, but I would take it with a grain of salt.

Interesting question, going to avoid Klei politics and focus on gameplay changes.

Biggest thing I'd like DST to avoid is just the slow creep towards your normal game having no struggle. I don't really like the camp in base tendencies that've developed with RWYS where you have there's no real actual survival reason to leave base because you have so much passive food gain (even ignoring lunar stuff) from one guy sitting on a farm that knows what they're doing. Aside from starvation all you really have to worry about is wood to avoid darkness / seasonal temperature and you're pretty much good. Lil' worried Webber's rework will continue the trend.

more than a change that would make me drop the game is something that must change, the game being 32bits

being limited kills for me the fun since i have played a lot of time the early game and right now i enjoy a lot long term worlds but im limited, i have between 10fps and 60 depending of the area but my computer is just using 50% of the resources

On 4/4/2021 at 9:36 PM, Does said:

Biggest thing I'd like DST to avoid is just the slow creep towards your normal game having no struggle. 

Bad news: this has been their plan since 2019. Frog in the pot, my friend. Majority of the forums are megabasers that really do not care about the survival or balance aspects of the game being slowly washed away.

When online support of the game is cut like what Nintendo did with Wii. Imagine Don't Starve Together without Together. A significant chunk of the fanbase might declare that they play solo but I personally wouldn't be playing DST nearly as much if it wasn't an online multiplayer game

Archived