Why We Won't Get Another SW or Hamlet Port

Wormwood and Warly are great, don't get me wrong, I love them. But we won't get any of their friends. Let me Explain. I already covered Wagstaff on his own because he is a popular character and if I covered him here people would just screech about wagstaff and not the other characters that probably won't get ported over. 

-Wheeler: Wheeler is the most likely to get ported with some changes than the other ports. Wheeler's only perk is her custom items which are pretty useful and her dodge ability, this is where things become not in her favor. her Dodge ability is too much like Wortox's soul hop and her lessened inventory slots could prove to be a pain for new players. But then again she'd probably be a DLC character so they'd probably know what they're getting into when they buy Wheeler. Again, out of all the remaining ports, Wheeler is the most likely to be ported over, so likely I might make a post just on her.

- Walani: Behind Wheeler, Walani might also have a chance to be ported, because of her ability to dry off faster may prove useful in spring and her surfboard could prove useful for lunar rushers and for getting new players into seafaring, The only issue is that she may be too op, as giving people access to lunar island right away may prove to powerful, but then again, she'd probably also be a DLC character. Another thing about walani is she has next to no downsides, the only downsides really being low health and faster hunger drain. The lower health was an issue for SW because of poison which could kill her off quickly if not cured. But with nothing like that she really would be wortox levels of broken if they added her.

- Woodlegs: You know how I was saying how Wheeler and Walani could have a chance at getting in, well that stops here. Woodlegs is an awful character outside of SW because of his garbage sanity and the fact that most of his perks are rendered useless without being able to craft a boat. In DST, there are boats, but they take a while to craft and again letting woodlegs craft a boat at the start is pretty op, and including the fact he could probably either add a cannon to existing boats or bring his SW boat in DST, both options are OP as they make hard bosses like crab king and malbatross really easy to deal with/cheese.

-Wilba: Wilba would've been interesting, her skills were to be cursed with werepig lycanthropy, but it's too easy to imitate that lycanthropy and when done she becomes a discount Woodie. Not to mention most of her perks revolve around her subjects with are somewhat absent in DST. She is not a character that I would see ported over DLC character or otherwise.

-Wilbur: We all saw this coming, Wilburs only perk if ported over to DST is his running speed, because splumonkeys don't see wilbur as their kind his monkey perks are completely useless. If Wilbur is added I'm deleting DST.

12 minutes ago, Dragolantis said:

-Wilba: Wilba would've been interesting, her skills were to be cursed with werepig lycanthropy, but it's too easy to imitate that lycanthropy and when done she becomes a discount Woodie. Not to mention most of her perks revolve around her subjects with are somewhat absent in DST. She is not a character that I would see ported over DLC character or otherwise.

she becomes a discount Woodie

I think you got that backwards. Werewilba is stronger, faster, has an inventory and can interact with loads more items than Werebeaver can in single-player. If she were ported to DST as is, she would be a fricking beast of a character.

Not to mention most of her perks revolve around her subjects with are somewhat absent in DST

Last time I checked, there were plenty of pigs in RoG. In DS, Werewilba can get gifts from all pigs (RoG, SW or HAM). More importantly, the gifts are a very very minor part of Wilba's gameplay. Her core perk/mechanic is here werepig curse, which is 100% setting agnostic.

Being realistic- and also not counting Warbucks or any unimplemented characters: There is only 6 additional characters for Klei to have to add to the game: Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba, Wagstaff.

The only logical reason as to why they shouldn’t be added is because they take away from the dlcs they’re from, like unlocking them becomes “less special” when you’ve already played them.

While I understand the people claiming that- THEY need to also understand DST is a Sequel, picking up officially where DS ended.. which means: Everything that happened in DS has already happened in DST.

So: finding the keys to Woodlegs cage, giving Wilbur & Wilba their crowns- It’s all already been done.

Warly & Wormwood were both EXP unlocks that didn’t need you to do anything extra to unlock: So Walani, Wheeler & Wagstaff all fit in this category with them.

Characters that required doing something special to unlock: Wes, Maxwell, Webber, Woodlegs, Wilbur, Wilba.

Each of these characters already have a fanbase of players wanting to play as them, and each of these characters would obviously be given their own skin & belongings sets.

I should also mention that Klei wasn’t willing to put them into the game in the past because it could be a risky & in-worthwhile use of their development time, resources & may ultimately have proven to be unprofitable.

But with Tencent buying majority shares into the company- pretty sure profit & resources are no longer valid reasons they all shouldn’t be added.

Now to be clear: I’m not expecting all these characters to be added to the game Tommorow, but releasing them slowly over the months/years I definitely expect/look forward to happen.

1 hour ago, Dragolantis said:

Snip

While I think it is pretty unlikely that we'll see a lot of these characters in DST, if they are added, it is likely they will get reworked pretty significantly. We saw that with Warly, who got a slew of new cooking wear to use. Wormwood didn't get reworked much, sure, but I have a theory that he was always meant to be a DST character, and when Klei put the kibosh on Warbucks they simply ported over Wormwood to Hamlet since he was already mostly finished.

I'm not holding out any hopes for any Hamlet or Shipwrecked characters to be ported over (I agree with you that if they are Wheeler and Wagstaff have the greatest chance). But if Klei is planning on porting a character, I highly doubt they'll be ported straight over.

I can see they being ported, but I imagine the game still has to hv some changes for them to be more useful. We already have danger in the sea,food sources and nice mobs,maybe the end of ROT or it's development might bring lunar monkeys to wilbur, new seafaring features for Woodlegs and Walani.
For Wilba,Wheeler and Wagstaff I can see they coming whenever they can, they don't need game mechanics to make sense, just a few tweaks here and there. 

Why do you keep making big, instigative, nonsense mumbo jumbo posts? Are you trying to cause arguments? Are you trying to cause me to ask why you're making big, instigative, nonsense mumbo jumbo posts? If your goal was the latter then you have succeeded and I'm proud of you.

I just figure they were done porting over characters because we already have two reps in dst for the two DLC's Warly for Shipwrecked and Wormwood for Hamlet. Wagstaff is the only odd one out since he was added in base game, maybe that means his chances are higher than the DLC characters if any?

14 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I think players of the original game would care for bugs to be fixed than them being ported over.

It’s more than that, people want to play them in DST to play well with friends, For example: I Want to play as Walani, but I want to do that with a whole set of skins like Warly and Wormwood have now, but I want to be able to play with Friends.

Its fine to get fixes for solo Dont starve, but at the end of day Solo DS can only be played Solo.. and that doesn’t satisfy my itch for wanting to play as Walani and surf around helping my friend who is playing Wurt quickly gather the Kelp & stuff she needs for her crafts.

This thread isn’t really about fixes for Solo DS, it’s about why the remaining single player DS cast should/shouldn’t be brought into DST.

And from my point of view: People play DST to play TOGETHER (it’s literally in the product description) with friends, People like myself want Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wilba, Wheeler and Wagstaff in DST to play DST with friends..

Otherwise- We have to install a mod that lets us play as them or Restrict ourselves to playing the single player game Without our friends.

The TL:DR- We want to play already established Klei DS franchise characters who already have a following and fanbase who want to play as those characters- but we want to enjoy that experience in DST with friends.

Its not about “forget DS Solo & just put everything in DST” it’s more about letting us play the content, characters & biomes we enjoy- but with a friend or two and without having to install several mods.

They ALL Equally deserve to be in DST at some point....

If you were asking for Hot Lava, Oxygen Not Included, Shank, Invisible Inc, Etc Characters... then I could see the point in excluding them from the game but these are DONT STARVE Characters.. and they should be in the game.

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I still say that now that Klei has Tencent funds, then porting over 6 measly characters from the single player game isn’t gonna kill them.. it would make a lot of people wanting to play as them happy.

Porting characters for the sake of porting... is a waste when they can use that work for making new characters that fits dst theme instead

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I still say that now that Klei has Tencent funds.

Stock sales are a one time cash receipt, after that cash would tend to flow toward the stock purchaser, Tencent. The only cash Klei would likely get is from licensing its property to Tencent, like Newhome, or if Tencent paid them to do something like developing a game. Outside of dividend payments, cash can’t move freely, it needs exchanged for something of equivalent value.

14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I still say that now that Klei has Tencent funds, then porting over 6 measly characters from the single player game isn’t gonna kill them.. it would make a lot of people wanting to play as them happy.

6 refreshes takes about 2 years of development apparently 

On 3/26/2021 at 12:59 PM, Dragolantis said:

-Wilbur: We all saw this coming, Wilburs only perk if ported over to DST is his running speed, because splumonkeys don't see wilbur as their kind his monkey perks are completely useless. If Wilbur is added I'm deleting DST.

Wormwood basically had no effects from his "Plants relate to him" perk and even still it has limited use

I hope they add Wilbur and you delete dst, monkey will reign supreme 

this post was brought to you by monke gang, monke rise up

On 3/26/2021 at 1:59 PM, Dragolantis said:

If Wilbur is added I'm deleting DST

aw come on, it's a monkey, if they add him possibly in the future we could get islands update or some **** so wilbur could make use of his king powers. maybe lunar monkeys? in all Dont starve DLC we have hounds/chester/spider/monkey variants in together we have horror hounds, shattered spiders, and hutch, so why not lunar monkeys for the lunar archepelago generation? this 
 generation is worthless nayways 

this or wilbur would be able to build monkey houses as wurt can do idk.

43 minutes ago, Gooey_the_frog said:

aw come on, it's a monkey, if they add him possibly in the future we could get islands update or some **** so wilbur could make use of his king powers. maybe lunar monkeys? in all Dont starve DLC we have hounds/chester/spider/monkey variants in together we have horror hounds, shattered spiders, and hutch, so why not lunar monkeys for the lunar archepelago generation? this 

Apes Together Strong | Know Your Meme

43 minutes ago, Gooey_the_frog said:

This, Thank You.. Klei designed these characters, Klei of all people would know rather they do or don’t fit into DST.

I would also kindly like to remind everyone that DS/DS: Shipwrecked & DS:Hamlet all act as one game, a “Central Hub” If you want to call it that.

What I mean by that is I can totally play as Walani outside of Shipwrecked in both the default game (with cardboard unsailable oceans) And in Hamlet. 
That’s right.. she carries a Surfboard around in a game where there’s no water to Surf on.. but She can drop it and it still had an animation to plant in the ground as a cool base prop.

NONE of the DLC Characters can be any WORSE than Current Wes, Wes in my opinion is just a Wasted character slot.. and every single last one of the DLC characters (including Walani now that the ocean is sailable) would have more unique abilities and purpose than Wes.

There is no disputing that fact: and the reality of things is- These characters will be added to DST ONLY if Klei wants to add them.

But Dont try to put these false lies into Klei’s mind that they don’t fit into DST, they totally fit just as much as Wes or more.

Archived