New Twitch Drops Coming Soon.

Hey Everybody, 

Just a quick update for the new Twitch drops coming soon. When we bring back twitch drops (currently scheduled for next Thursday), things are going to be a little different. 

We will only be doing drops for a period of 2 weeks at a time and drops will only be available from a select set of streamers. Signup to receive drops on our accounts page and then watch a participating streamer to receive drops. 

Streamers interested in participating will be selected by us and may change periodically. To be considered for participation you should be a regularly participant of the Don't Starve or Don't Starve Together categories on Twitch, Follow all Twitch guidelines, and terms of service and have an active healthy relationship with the community as well as follow our own posted guidelines for participation. 

Those interested can contact us here and let us know you're interested, otherwise we will be reaching out to our long term streamers. We'll probably have a more formal process for this in the future, but for now we want to do this very selectively so we can make adjustments as we move forward. 

Twitch Drops were intended to do three things. First, push players toward the Twitch community and maybe find a cool streamer they enjoy. Second, encourage streamers to try to retain these viewers and reward the streamers willing to put in the work to provide good experiences to viewers. Give even the smallest or newest streamers a healthy stream of new viewers to attempt to engage. 

While we did accomplish these things, the side effects were numerous and in return encouraged abuse of the system as well as degraded the quality of the category on Twitch. We had enough viewers to make the category interesting for new streamers (good and bad) but not enough to draw notice from Twitch moderation when abuse would occur.  

We're going to keep an eye on things for a while and exploring other opportunities as well, but for now this is how we will proceed. 

I think that covers everything for now. Oh, one more thing. Here's a link for some more points. (1700 points expires 3/25/2021)

See you next week!

I'm happy to hear about the categories being more moderated. I think that's a change that most content creators will welcome! I am certainly interested in seeing how all these new changes play out. This new system sounds like it will be more demanding on the Klei side so thanks for all the work you're putting towards it.

Thanks for the new points too!

Nice! By change periodically, you mean that some new streamers will be able to join after proving they're ok or that when a streamer leaves only then will you accept new ones? It would be a shame to lose that aspect of giving fresh streamers a chance. 

Like everyone else, I'm glad to hear the drops system is coming back and that there is going to be a bit of moderation to it. 

Sadly a few bad apples can ruin the bunch, I'm ok with this new system and look forward to see how it develops!

1 minute ago, trinket_4 said:

not gonna lie, the part where only a selected streamers will be able to give drops sucks. It makes people not explore the small streamers at all and only stick to the big ones

That doesn’t mean it potentially eliminates small streamers though, it just means that a select group of small streamers will participate at a time. I am interested in how this will pan out, though, since I was used to randomly streaming every once in a blue moon and still having drops for anyone that didn’t have them.

30 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Signup to receive drops on our accounts page and then watch a participating streamer to receive drops. 

Hey I was wondering where do I sign up to be able to get twitch drops, I can't seem to find it on the Klei Account page, or is this something that will  be available next Thursday (or whenever the drops come back) Also will we have to sign up for every new twitch drop?

Thank you in advance <3 :)

5 minutes ago, trinket_4 said:

not gonna lie, the part where only a selected streamers will be able to give drops sucks. It makes people not explore the small streamers at all and only stick to the big ones

I don't disagree with that, which is why it worked the other way before. But the reality is that nobody was going to the super small streamers under the OLD system. They were completely drowned out by all the activity. 

But this DOES mean that those same smaller streamers have an active goal to work toward and if they are included in the program they can actually benefit by that spotlight some.

There are definitely some challenges here. My biggest concern right now (among others) is going to be making sure there is adequate coverage 24 hours a day for those two weeks. There will be some bumps in this new system, but I am sure this is the best way to move forward right now. 

4 minutes ago, krtoween said:

Hey I was wondering where do I sign up to be able to get twitch drops, I can't seem to find it on the Klei Account page, or is this something that will  be available next Thursday (or whenever the drops come back) Also will we have to sign up for every new twitch drop?

Thank you in advance <3 :)

There's a hyperlink in the post on where to submit a request to have drops enabled. 

Archived