How is your early game like?

Personally I will start on a brand new world by mapping out all of the edges, picking up rocks, wood, grass, twigs, and gold as I go, as well as any valuable items from boons. 

Once I have enough to make a science machine, I will usually craft one around day 3-4 and make a backpack and a shovel and maybe a few other items. And start to pick up bushes and saplings that I pass so that I can plant them once I make a base after exploring all of the edges.

i spend my first day making(in this order) a pickaxe, an axe, a torch, a sciencemachine, a backpack/a fire(pref a pit and pref the backpack first). i do try and find the backpack setpiece if i can or if it is a pub i will make the backpack before anything else(unless it is winter then it is fire and thermal first). once i have this important kit i leave the portal area and look for a place that would make a nice small base(6/6 tiles or less) with renewable resources and build there. i then go out looking for wood for chests and if my fire isnt a pit i look for stones. when i've done that i get materials for what i need for another small base + a crockpot and icebox. this is done in my first season(almost always spring but sometimes autumn or winter if i am playing in pubs). at the spring of the next year i look for a proper base if i like how the worldgen came out or i discard the world and start over if i dont.

3 hours ago, JosePapp said:

I'm not aware if similar threats have been made

Last month.

How is your early game like?

I'll copy my response from that thread

On 1/12/2021 at 3:20 PM, Cheggf said:

I do whatever I feel like! Maybe I'll explore the overworld, maybe I'll rush ruins, maybe I'll rush boat, maybe I'll rush pirate island, maybe I'll rush a cave base, maybe I'll rush farms, maybe I'll rush hermit, maybe I'll rush a specific boss, maybe I'll rush becoming a snurtle, maybe I'll bring as many slurpers as I can to the Florid Postern before people notice I'm doing it, maybe I'll capture a bunch of rabbits to release them in front of people, maybe I'll create a labyrinth, maybe I'll turn the ruins into an Indiana Jones temple with a bunch of extra traps and loot in it, maybe I'll see how long I can follow other players in the distance before they notice I'm doing it, maybe I'll leave bread crumb trails of berries where I'm suspiciously hiding behind a bush at the end with a spear out. I might do a lot of things.

But the more I do something the less I want to do it. I used to rush the ruins a lot so now I don't do that very much. Since the farming update came out that's what I did every time so now I'm getting bored of it. Wavey Jones makes the boat and all subsidiaries a lot less fun so that removes most of my favorite options. That mostly just leaves exploring and doing silly stuff.

Although with YOTB I'm going to start trying out some beefalo taming as I explore, once I start playing again.

Grass, twigs, flint, all of that, I never build campfires unless I have to, instead I set trees on fire and spend the night chopping for wood. Also if I'm playing by myself (which is like 99% of the time anyways) I barely mine rocks or destroy any unrenewable structures unless needed which means rocks are always lacking in my worlds until tree petrification/antlion cave ins start happening. I only mine clusters of rocks if they are very close together and making sure I leave at least one or I mine those at the meteor biome since they're gonna get destroyed by meteors anyways. I even went as far as to not pick carrots until I found out they regenerate in DST. I just like preserving the natural beauty of my worlds as much as possible.

Base is always built at oasis, I never dig up grass or twigs unless I need them for decorations instead I rely mostly on tumbleweeds, twiggy trees and geckos. The only buildings I rush before winter are 2 crock pots, 1 Ice Box, 1 Birdcage and a Spider Den from which I then proceed to feed myself indefinitely along with cactus flesh until I feel like getting a better food supply. Everything else after this just boils down to how well I can transform the whole Oasis biome into my own personal megabase without completely destroying the rest of the world.

37 minutes ago, SandvichSpy said:

Grass, twigs, flint, all of that, I never build campfires unless I have to, instead I set trees on fire and spend the night chopping for wood. Also if I'm playing by myself (which is like 99% of the time anyways) I barely mine rocks or destroy any unrenewable structures unless needed which means rocks are always lacking in my worlds until tree petrification/antlion cave ins start happening. I only mine clusters of rocks if they are very close together and making sure I leave at least one or I mine those at the meteor biome since they're gonna get destroyed by meteors anyways. I even went as far as to not pick carrots until I found out they regenerate in DST. I just like preserving the natural beauty of my worlds as much as possible.

Base is always built at oasis, I never dig up grass or twigs unless I need them for decorations instead I rely mostly on tumbleweeds, twiggy trees and geckos. The only buildings I rush before winter are 2 crock pots, 1 Ice Box, 1 Birdcage and a Spider Den from which I then proceed to feed myself indefinitely along with cactus flesh until I feel like getting a better food supply. Everything else after this just boils down to how well I can transform the whole Oasis biome into my own personal megabase without completely destroying the rest of the world.

do you also replace dig turfs?

13 minutes ago, gaymime said:

do you also replace dig turfs?

Since I'm not able to jump worlds and hoard as much turf as I want in DST like I do in DS, I would only take as much turf as I need and redecorate the areas left barren with antlion boulders and whatnot, heck, sometimes I would switch all the desert turf in the oasis with grass turf from somewhere else in the map, basically creating an artificial desert biome somewhere else. I also have less respect for the caves so that's free real state, thankfully the Terra Firma Tamper finally put an end to all my turf problems.

I will consider early game as the first season cuz its really the vital time for me to decide if im having a good or bad run

> Day 1-2:
Grab some twigs, grass and flint, half a stack, make a hammer and look for gold. My first science to craft  backpack, spear and log suit for fight and shovel to start diggin of some graves to grab gems. I always look for mosaic biome/forests after this.

> Day 2-5:
Time to go to caves, grab some light bulb, go up, meat and pig skin. 6 silk to prestihatitator. My first alchemy machine to unblock Hambat, Futball helmet and a lantern.

> Day 5-10:
Explore to found the pig king, dragonfly and walrus camp in surface, and grotto in caves. If i havent found any silk yet, so thats the time. Same for livin logs and gems. 
Once i have those, thats all what i need for this early.

> Day 10-12:
Set the base with the materials i got, if i found swamp so i have a birdcage, if i found clockworks so i have a kitchen [not worth it if u cant have a ice box]. Thats the moment when i craft a Shadow manipulator to recycle some boards, unblock ice staff and life givin cuz ice staff for me is super important, almost game changing.
If i didnt find, so screw it the base is about to be done after the next step. I just pre craft stuff. [happens sometimes except for the manipulator, its crucial to me a manipulator in this moment of the game cuz i really dont go to ruins without a ice staff or ill go crazy dealing with bishops and monkeys.]

> Day 12-19~20:
Grab 2 moleworms, and a few itens* which varies depending the char im playin as, bluecap forest biome > muddy > kill some worms for moogles >  ruins.
Explore and mine some thulecite and gems.
Once i have enough to a few crowns, a magiluminescence and a star caller i kill the guardian, go back to pseudo science, craft my stuff and im good to go.
Sometimes i have enough to bring a desconstruction staff, sometimes enough to bring thulecite clubs. This is the time to decide what can carry as bonus and skedaddle.

Here is a tricky part. Its not that rare i go upstairs back to surface about day 21. In this case, thermal stone.

Then depending on the character:
> If im wortox [90% of the time], 1-2 stacks of bees. In a good run, i can build a base and set 6 bee boxes. Best case scenario, 50/50.
> If im Wolfgang, i kill dragonfly first. Havin some extra gems is really good.
> If im Wendy, i kill bee queen first. Havin bundling wrap is really good. [2]

20 minutes ago, SandvichSpy said:

Since I'm not able to jump worlds and hoard as much turf as I want in DST like I do in DS, I would only take as much turf as I need and redecorate the areas left barren with antlion boulders and whatnot, heck, sometimes I would switch all the desert turf in the oasis with grass turf from somewhere else in the map, basically creating an artificial desert biome somewhere else. I also have less respect for the caves so that's free real state, thankfully the Terra Firma Tamper finally put an end to all my turf problems.

<3 that is a great answer too

frankly i kind of feel like an odd duck since i don't like bare soil and tend to take the forest/grass turfs i inevitably dig up and swap them with whatever turfs i collected from elsewhere or fill in chunks i come across randomly in playXD

rush alchemy machine, shovel, backpack and start to pick up a stack of grass and twigs until day 5, i aways dig up the sapplings instead of just picking up the resources. explore the map, find pig king birchnut biome and base there. the rest of days until winter is me and my boyfriend trying to found moon island for rock fruits and exploring the map searching for the essential, (gears, suspicious marbles, oasis and dragonfly desert etc ...)

-Walk around, get grass, twigs, flint, as well as basic food items.

-Walk around even more intensively, get wood, rocks, gold, flint nitre.

-Make a science machine somewhere. Prototype Shovel, Backpack, Spear, Wooden Armor and precraft an alchemy engine. 

-Kill Spiders, Pigs, Clockworks.

-Locate and announce if Pig King, Oasis, Dragonfly desert, Walrus Camps, Beefalos, Moonstone or the swamp are found.

-Cut Totally Normal Trees, hoping for a Clean Sweeper. If lucky, redesign the constant in your image.

-Arrange meet & greets with other people for a main base location using Flare, Compass or Florid Postern.

-Make gift exchanges with players with unique items like Wigfrid's battle gear, Willow's lighter, Winona's tape, Warly's food, Wes' balloons, Wickerbottom's books.

-Construct alchemy engine, prioritize Crock pots, Ice boxes, Garden Rigamajic, Marble beans, prestihatitator. Prototype Football helmet, Luxury tools, boomerang, sea fishing rod, tent, marble suit.

-Get farmer's basics: Watering can, Hoes, Composting bin, One man band. Plant all seeds.

-Dip downstairs for lightbulbs. Get glommer and destroy pigheads on and after day 11.

-Build a think tank, row around the base for kelp, bottles, driftwood. Prototype driftwood oar and growth formula. Build Tackle receptackle. Build bridges in practical points.

-If there's still time for winter, make beeboxes and shave beefalos. Build rabbit earmuffs and thermal stones approaching winter, as well as the event buildings like festive tree/shrine/potion machine.

-Try to bring order to the base with chests, labeling some with minisigns for minerals and organic items. Fence grass tufts, make a gobbler trap.

-(Sometimes) Skip all non-essential steps, go deep spelunking, get goodies from caves and ruins.

-(Sometimes) Skip all non-essential steps, make a supreme boat. Sail 7 seas. Grab some salt and go to Lunar island.

-(Sometimes) Skip everything but Grass, Twigs and basic foods to punch 68 butterflies, get silk and living logs for a Glossomer's Saddle. Conquer the world with your trusty beef.

i usually explore and try to find important resources, twigs, grass, flint, rocks, gold stuff like that and then look for the oasis but lately i'm trying to rush the ruins, i fail but every attempt is better than the last one

Day One:  2 flint, pickaxe, mine rock, make new flint into axe, chop trees, pick grass and twigs along the way along with carrots and berries.  I only chop full-sized trees to get more wood and the seeds from them, and the pinecones and birchnuts I carry with me for later.

Day One--however long it takes:  Continue mining, chopping and gathering until I find a gold nugget.  If I've found a good place to base by then I'll make my science machine and firepit there right away, if not I'll keep exploring until I'm worried the hounds are about to show up and then plunk my stuff down in the best place I've found so far.  The "eh, good enough I guess" place.  (I can move later and/or make secondary bases, after all.)

Once I have the science machine:  Logsuit spear backpack shovel crockpot.  Sometimes the order is mixed up.  If I'm especially tired of light rabbit-food meals the crockpot will get prioritized, and the first meatballs with be made with rabbit meat if this happens BEFORE the first hound wave, monster meat if after.  I tend to base in/near savannahs and meadows, so I have a ready supply of meat and berries.  (And know where the nearest frog ponds are so I can transfer my traps there in spring.) 

Alchemy Engine:  Might take a bit longer to make if my first gold nugget was a stray one found in a graveyard or one gold boulder in a forest, rather than from a full rocky biome.  Once I have more gold after that it always goes towards a lightning rod.  In between here and the science machine is when I start making my first chests and planing the tree seeds nearby so I have a wood supply.  Oh, and drying racks.  I start farming if I've found poop by then, but usually I haven't.

From then on (unless I'm doing a specific challenge, some of which change up the order/timing of the above considerably) I typically explore when i can, keep up base as well as I can, and I find gears when I find gears and I find beefalo when I find beefalo.  Sometimes it takes a LONG time to find both, like, more than an entire in-game year long.  Sometimes I happen to wander into a desert and pick a tumbleweed with a gear in it on day 3.  I play with random season lengths and a Huge world (more to explore), so sometimes I don't have any gears at all by the time summer hits.  In that case I go nomadic for the season.  If no beefalo wool I make do in winter with earmuffs and thermal stone.

Super generic oldschool noob way of starting off?  Maybe. But it works for me.

...Notorious

9 hours ago, Mencken said:

What is pirate island?

Pirate island is the slowest, most expensive, most awkward, worst way to play the game but it's really funny and I like it. Here's an example picture dated 22/04/2020 showing a work in progress pirate island on a Klei server.

image.thumb.png.0d39eec688735638766491dd762bd4e8.png

The boat used to travel that wasn't a part of pirate island also had several structures on it.

13 hours ago, JosePapp said:

I'm not aware if similar threats have been made, but I was curious because a friend doesn't like how I tend to play early game around the same way every time 

Or maybe your friend just doesn't like threats. I mean, who does?

Archived