What do you often do in the first several days of a world?

Ever since I learned how to ruins rush/lunar island rush, I pretty much exclusively do either of those at the beginning of a world just because it makes the following days much easier to endure. I'm starting to wonder if I'm in the minority here though. What do you guys usually do at in the first week or two?

If there's other people on the world, I rush ruins myself.
But if I'm on a solo run, I'd rather find a place to settle down during the first Autumn then spend my Summer time in the caves.

Lunar isles? I usually find that within the first 2 years, no later than that.

1 minute ago, Souper said:

Nothing wrong with that. I tend to like to do things somewhat efficiently, it's just how I play most games.

nothing wrong with that either. i too like to play somewhat efficiently but during the start of my worlds i just like to chill and go slow and just enjoy the game you know?

1 hour ago, Souper said:

Ever since I learned how to ruins rush/lunar island rush, I pretty much exclusively do either of those at the beginning of a world just because it makes the following days much easier to endure. I'm starting to wonder if I'm in the minority here though. What do you guys usually do at in the first week or two?

Kill Fuelweaver

If im playing warly, I explore the whole world the first 10 days then i setup the base the rest of the autumn.

Else i rush the ruins and finish maping the world (with the magiluminescence) before winter start.

Summer i (finish to) clear the ruin.

Since i have better thing to do, lunar island is for the 2nd year and Bearger will help me gather wood for my chest and the boat.

Ruins rush for the sake of star staffs and some speed boosts. And meaby a few trinkets for my gold needs to make little base. I also waste all the thulecite on crowns for bee queen since I love her drops.

So yeah, ruins and bee on the first autumn. 

Map out the world and settle down. Get my food sources set up and organise important spots on the map (Oasis camp, clean around Pig King, mark multi Moose Goose spawn). I play extremely slowly though, because I hate being unprepared for stuff, I never rush anything. Never been to Lunar island. I decided to wait until all updates regarding it will arrive so I can have the full experience all at once and avoid potential resets or missing fights added into stages etc. 

Chop some trees, plant the cones in a little group, and map out the edges of the whole world/continent (inevitably get distracted and wander through some interesting spots for a few days and forget what I'm doing.) By the time I finish, the trees are about full-grown so i grab my charcoal and start setting up base. I mostly focus on getting base set up efficiently and take my dear sweet time doing anything more complicated, lol.

Usually map out the world, map out caves, gather basic resources, plan ahead according to the map and what I got which would be the optimal place to settle. Sometimes I rush lunar island, but it’s not a priority. I tend to do that slightly before, or during the first winter, anyway.

I learned how to do ruins rushes playing alone, and then eventually got tired of it. On public servers  all the ruins rushes I’ve made on the first 15 days happened by coincidence or luck: going into caves in a place where I notice that I am pretty close to the ruins, and one thing leads to the other... but I consider the ruins clearing a summer activity. 

Finding the ruins all cleared by the first summer is usually a bit sad. In public servers (which is where I play mostly) thulecite is like free ice cream, duplicating thulecite with green gems is a sin that must never be commited, and most people that has played for a bit and saw at least one guide, thinks the top priority of the game is to reach the ruins (with the over population of Wendys, they reach the ruins faster now, specially if they have been cleared of clockworks)

So not only it doesn’t prove anything, the earlier you clear the ruins the faster the public server will run out of thulecite because of non sustainable/selfish use of it, way before FW is ready. So for public servers I rather letting the ruins in peace for a while, and pray for flex players instructed by edgy YouTubers don’t show. For private or solo servers of course ruins rushing is a valid and useful strategy.

I do whatever I feel like! Maybe I'll explore the overworld, maybe I'll rush ruins, maybe I'll rush boat, maybe I'll rush pirate island, maybe I'll rush a cave base, maybe I'll rush farms, maybe I'll rush hermit, maybe I'll rush a specific boss, maybe I'll rush becoming a snurtle, maybe I'll bring as many slurpers as I can to the Florid Postern before people notice I'm doing it, maybe I'll capture a bunch of rabbits to release them in front of people, maybe I'll create a labyrinth, maybe I'll turn the ruins into an Indiana Jones temple with a bunch of extra traps and loot in it, maybe I'll see how long I can follow other players in the distance before they notice I'm doing it, maybe I'll leave bread crumb trails of berries where I'm suspiciously hiding behind a bush at the end with a spear out. I might do a lot of things.

But the more I do something the less I want to do it. I used to rush the ruins a lot so now I don't do that very much. Since the farming update came out that's what I did every time so now I'm getting bored of it. Wavey Jones makes the boat and all subsidiaries a lot less fun so that removes most of my favorite options. That mostly just leaves exploring and doing silly stuff.

41 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

"--with the over population of Wendys--"

I apologise sincerely as I know this is off-topic but I genuinely had a minute or two where I was trying to figure out why you (and, apparently so many other people) were playing DST in a Wendy's of all places.

Well here's a little run-through I like to do now and then, even better if you use an alt account:

Spoiler

Play Wilson on public server.

Refrain from using any skins

Spoiler

Ask everyone on the server where base is while sitting at spawn to wait for them to pick me up.

They all laugh and say, "Tough luck noob, find base to earn it."

Spoiler

Run in circles and ask questions like, "Huh, what's the purple meat do? Is it good?"

Maybe even kill yourself a few times through dumb causes, but reviving at a touchstone

Spoiler

Rush dragonfly or ruins but pretend you didn't. Or do something else that is cool like single-handedly resolve resource or food shortages for said base.

Spoiler

Eventually stumble upon base to everyone's surprise. Flex on them with all the gear/loot you got and become the savior of said base.

Leave and find a new server in search of new people to enlighten

Usually on pubs, people can handle themselves enough to create a thriving base, which leaves me plenty of time to do farming.

1. Gather two stacks of grass and twigs, a stack of rocks, at least 10-12 gold, and any seeds I can salvage. (Yes, I will take 60 damage to get one seed from tentacle fields.) I will also look for the materials to bloom, and will hold onto berries for rot.

2. Once I find the main base which is usually at oasis or pig king, I get armor, weapon, golden shovel/axe and start chopping down a ton of trees, getting pinecones, a few stacks of wood, and some nightmare fuel, hopefully enough to make a Shadow Manipulator and a dark sword.

3. Once everything’s gathered, I make 2-3 farm rigamajigs, 1-3 Compost Stations, a handful of watering cans, and numerous chests to hold seeds with. Here I can start hard farming with all the tools I need with a tree plantation nearby to stock up on more wood if I need it.

19 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Usually on pubs, people can handle themselves enough to create a thriving base

What pubs are you playing on? Every time I join a Klei Official server they take 30 days to get something along the lines of an alchemy engine, 2 chests, a bird cage with no bird, a fire pit, and one farm plot that has a couple of weeds in it.

11 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

What pubs are you playing on? Every time I join a Klei Official server they take 30 days to get something along the lines of an alchemy engine, 2 chests, a bird cage with no bird, a fire pit, and one farm plot that has a couple of weeds in it.

Diverse Survivors, DST Country Servers, FleuryServers, and USA Eastern official servers.

3 hours ago, Minitte said:

I run around in circles and eat random stuff off the ground. Wheres base?

Sounds like you're on my server a lot :roll:

1 hour ago, Knowbodie said:

Well here's a little run-through I like to do now and then, even better if you use an alt account:

Hide contents

Play Wilson on public server.

Refrain from using any skins

Hide contents

Ask everyone on the server where base is while sitting at spawn to wait for them to pick me up.

They all laugh and say, "Tough luck noob, find base to earn it."

Hide contents

Run in circles and ask questions like, "Huh, what's the purple meat do? Is it good?"

Maybe even kill yourself a few times through dumb causes, but reviving at a touchstone

Hide contents

Rush dragonfly or ruins but pretend you didn't. Or do something else that is cool like single-handedly resolve resource or food shortages for said base.

Hide contents

Eventually stumble upon base to everyone's surprise. Flex on them with all the gear/loot you got and become the savior of said base.

Leave and find a new server in search of new people to enlighten

Okay this is actually hilarious and I want to try this now.

Day 1- gather twigs, gather grass, gather rocks, flint and gold if I can find it.

Day 2- gather Wood, more rocks, more gold, Create Science & Alchemy Engine.

Day 3- Roam the Map enjoying the mobs of the constant and the wacky world I’m in.

Day 4- Build a bunch of small bases composed of Campfire and Cookpot all around the map.

Day 600- Grow bored of knowing where everything is at, delete world for a new randomly generated world that hates me & wants me dead.

And if playing online in other players rooms as Wendy Extend Day 4 to also include Sisturns at those base locations.

I explore the world, I usually get lantern, ham bat and football helm soon as possible. kill all spiders in areas I will be visiting often, search for certain set pieces like triple mac tusk, reed trap and hope I have the killer bee biome in my world. Mostly I want the triple tusk and reed trap in the same world. If I don't get them, I usually restart the world gen until I get set pieces I want to build with.

23 minutes ago, Flarezen said:

I explore the world, I usually get lantern, ham bat and football helm soon as possible. kill all spiders in areas I will be visiting often, search for certain set pieces like triple mac tusk, reed trap and hope I have the killer bee biome in my world. Mostly I want the triple tusk and reed trap in the same world. If I don't get them, I usually restart the world gen until I get set pieces I want to build with.

why not just force the setpiece to spawn instead of generating a world until you get both? That seems very unlikely.

Archived