What kind of ending you prefer ?

What kind of ending you prefer ?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. happy ending or bittersweet ending or sad ending ?

• Happy ending
    • Bittersweet ending
    • Sad ending

While. We don't know what Charlie is scheming. There are only three types of ending to any story.
A- Happy ending
B- Bittersweet ending
C- Sad ending

For me i am going to rule out option C. because I didn't get any hint that Klei is going to that route (in which the survivors remain on the Constant forever and no one will go back home)

And don't starve is a dark game. Not the darkest game I came across but still a very dark game. So a going to rule out option A.
that leaves us with only option B.
So for a bittersweet ending we just need one Character not able to make it back home while the other Characters able to make it back home. So the Character I choose for that is Maxwell.

I will give my reasoning as follows, but first I want to say my favourite Character is Maxwell he is just so intriguing 
I did not believe the theory that Wendy is Maxwell niece. Because Maxwell messed up enough by dragging himself and Charlie into the Constant. And now he messed up even more by bringing his only niece to the Constant. I mean if Wendy was some random girl Maxwell brought into the Constant that would be a messed up but if said girl is his only niece, then that would be a huge messed up.

And I could say that Maxwell did not have any Photo of Wendy, so he did not know that she was his niece when he brought her to the Constant but even then. It is still a very big messed up on Maxwell part. And Maxwell exposure to the Codex Umbra and the Nightmare Throne caused his personality to change like being egomaniac. But he is still aware of his surrounding and what he is doing for example his lines at the end of Adventure Mode. But Charlie seem to have split personality when she grabbed her sister 

And now let us talk about Charlie. She seemed to care about Maxwell a lot. For example, she spent about 45 minutes in his apartment trying to look for clues about him because she "haven't heard from him in days" and she suggested that they can stay at her family cabin if he wants to stop doing shows. And that very generous offer from a lady in 1906 (so let that sink in) and yes Maxwell also cares about her, he protected her from the Night Hands when she was in his apartment.

And some of you may of think of me as a shipper but if anyone me about Maxwell and Charlie relationship I would say it is 50/50. Maybe they are two people that are on good terms with each other. Or that there was a possibility of a relationship to blossom. And I use the word "possibility" because things went downhill for them after the final act. Even if what happened on the final act was not intended by Maxwell.

So The aforementioned points about Charlie was just to give a context of how big Maxwell messed up. So for him to sacrifice himself in order for the other Characters to return home. And from him to set things right. And it is also poetic that everything started with him and everything ended with him. I think that kind of ending is very befitting of don't starve. But then again, this is what I think. What do you think ?

19 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

Everyone dies. The end.

And make "them" feel bored. Because there are no survivors to entertain "them". What an evil genius. I like your way of thinking pal

11 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

Everlasting Summer fans joined the discussion

Is that a reference to some game or a film ? because I don't get it.

To be honest, I don't even know what I would prefer... Bringing the characters home... Well, it's boring and very banal...
To leave everyone in this world... I like this option... There is place for the implementation of many different morals and ideas.
I hope that the conclusion of this long story will be very dignified and philosophical.

15 minutes ago, Russian_Philin said:

To be honest, I don't even know what I would prefer... Bringing the characters home... Well, it's boring and very banal...
To leave everyone in this world... I like this option... There is place for the implementation of many different morals and ideas.
I hope that the conclusion of this long story will be very dignified and philosophical.

I get what you are saying. You want (don't starve) to be one of  these  games. That after finishing the story you need to google about the ending. Because you did not fully understand it

Since in game we can have multiply copy of same character (like 5 Wendys, 4 WX, 13 Wes....), so I rather consider, there is no real ending. It looks like, when character enters the Constant it becomes a part of Constant. So in theory one copy-Wilson may finally escape from Constant, but all other Wilsons will have to stay.... forever. One Wortox may be healed from curse, but others Wortoxes will stay as they are. Probably the only way is to destroy The Constant, but The Constant was destroyed many times (at least 5 times during adventure mode) and recreated.

Probably only true ending we will get, when "thing" that creates one after another Constants will be destroyed. Also it would be the end of DST at all...

22 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Of course they would, their mental health has surely declined a lot.

Now that I think about it. maybe the PTSD is the sad part of the ending. Even if the Characters return home in one piece. They will go straight to the asylum :D

34 minutes ago, Notecja said:

I tried to use the search function before creating my post. But the search function sucks big time. You are only able to search every 30 seconds and the results are just so irrelevant. Even if I used quotation marks. It was not my intention to create what people call (duplicate post)

No ending. I want it to be like in original DS- you achieved something, something has changed, but did it really? 

Whoever now has the throne maybe will find a way out. Maybe only for themselves. Maybe for everyone. Maybe there is no way out. 

You still worked hard and did your best and can feel accomplished, can still play the game and feel it being canon- maybe you took the throne and freed your previous character, maybe you're enjoying playing as someone else. 

The ending is open without being a cliffhanger.

14 minutes ago, Picklesaurus said:

Wes ascends the throne and the constant goes silent forever. 

wes is just so boring for "them". "They" rather have webber on the throne than wes. And he will create a day called the spider day. In which every survivor must befriend a spider. Now that  I think about it is a very hilarious thing. But you forgot the most important thing. "they" must always be entertained and amused until the end of time 

2 hours ago, LinknAllie said:

I would prefer a sad ending or bittersweet.  I feel a happy ending wouldn't fit the way the game is set up.  It's meant to be dark, sad, and grim.

Finally, someone thinks like me. but I would be lying if I said that you are the only one. The result of the poll indicate that we are not the only people that think that way

Capture.PNG

How I would like the game to end “this chapter..” This is important: Chapter means it can continue on afterwards, END means END.. period no sequel later

The current chapter “Return of Them” can only end when we find out who or what Them is and.. why exactly they are returning.

Thats It.. there’s nothing else that has to be done or said here: That’s the end of Return of Them chapter.

However.. I HOPE that chapter ends with us rescuing Charlie from Thems influence & unlocking her as a playable character: But as Maxwell has shown- Anyone who has been on the Nightmare Throne, has some lingering side effects.

For Max in particular he can summon shadows to do his bidding, but he doesn’t have full control over all shadows.

Charlie.. when she is free’d would be no different: She would likely NEVER be just 100% fully human ever again, meaning she would still have traces of Shadow energy in her.. but instead of Them having control over her, she can control and manipulate her light and dark forms based on how injured she is 

-think of it like a Combination of two of my favorite gods from smite: Hel- A god who could switch stances at her own will between wanting to hurt or to help people with her dark & light sides.. And Izanami- A god who deals increasingly higher damage the closer she gets to dying.. (Hello Glass Canon Wendy Rework Mechanic..) Except- UNLIKE Hel who can swap forces at will: Charlie’s dark side only emerges when she gets injured enough.

Charlie as a playable character is something I would LOVE to see, but that doesn’t mean “The End.” It just means the end of the current chapter.

Klei can take the franchise wherever they want it to go from there.

But as far as final ending once everything is over and there’s no more Dont Starve: I would like for people to return home (the ones that want to go home) 

Maybe Wilson & Willow go home together so he’s no longer this lonely hermit in the woods by himself, and she no longer feels rejected by society: He’s a man of science, and she’s immune to fire.. that’s Science!

I would like for Wendy to opt to stay in the constant: so she can always be able to play with her sister Abigail & commune with Pipspooks.

I would want Warly to return home to discover that time in the constant is wacky- and he’s somehow traveled back in time to when his mamanan was healthy & well.

I would want Maxwell & Charlie to make it out of the constant alive together, and realize that even the forces of darkness couldn’t keep them apart (after all a sweet and charming young woman can melt away even the coldest of hearts..)

I also want some sad endings too though: So maybe Winona can make the ultimate sacrifice of remaining in the constant forever as taking Charlie’s place as the shadows prisoner.

Maybe someone or something can escape to a world that’s been thrown so far into the future that they don’t recognize anything at all in it.. and who knows maybe evil robots have taken over the entire planet and rule all of humanity (hello WX78’s happy place.)

The TL:DR- Each character in the constant has their own story... and if you want to get technical: We could have All THREE types of endings happen based on a character by character basis...

Some characters end up together in the same time zone they went in, some characters return to a better moment in their past, some characters return to find they’ve advanced to the future, some characters make the sad choice of remaining there forever, and some characters who were completely overlooked and seen as character swap choices by most everyone playing the game: ultimately pulls at your heart strings in the end.

”Well I’ve been replaced or overlooked my whole life like a pawn or a bad Canadian joke.. I might as well make the ultimate sacrifice”

DS/DST is like a game of Chess: you will make good moves, you will make bad moves, you will make sacrifices- all in an effort to win the game.

Archived