What do you listen to as you play?

The early game can be very mundane, and while I love the in-game music, I must of heard around 2000 hours of it by now. The early game is also the best time to listen to things due to the low amount of hounds in a wave and scripted deerclops spawn. 

In the late game, (Food is automated) when you're awaiting your gifts, I find myself also listening to things on the side as I tidy up my base.

I usually tend to listen to music, but recently have found myself listening to SCP narrations. The atmosphere of both can blend in quite nicely. If I am fighting a boss that takes more than a few minutes I might play il vento d'oro on repeat, for hype (lol). In the ruins, old 50s music can relieve the stress of being chased by a horde of splumonkeys with classics as sung by The Ink Spots, Frank Sinatra, Billie holiday, etc; Whatever may give me the old world blues. This is a strat I used when I first ventured into the dark below. I recommend it to anyone who always feels on edge down there.

Heres a funny one: Playing Pikmin music tracks when you're playing Wormwood.

What are you in the listening mood for?

This goes to every game I play. I cant stand not listening to the in-game music, no matter how long I have listened to the same tracks. Other tracks or songs just feel out of place. During long winter nights, I sometimes even spawn big bosses (local only) to spice it up.

I enjoy listening to podcasts and audiobooks when I'm doing grindy/boring things. Sometimes I pick a power metal song when I'm fighting a boss, just to make the experience a bit more fun. Though I must say that the game's soundtrack is fantastic and it hardly ever gets old (especially the battle themes with operatic vocals, I always turn my sound up to hear those). 

I listen to game tracks like scott pilgrim the game ost, some pokemon route music, or some jazz music to few other game ost I cant remember the name when I need a break from the in game music. but most of the time I listen to the in-game ost since i really enjoy it.

i mostly just the game play it's music and sometimes i play some videos on my phone while i do something not-so interesting in the game like harvesting wood and pine cones or stuff like that. I used to play "Pigstep" while i play the forge

If you host the game, don't have an excellent internet connection, and other people also join your world, you listening to online music, having a video in the background, streaming, downloading or otherwise having excess package traffic may spell for other players hopping your world lag - from barely noticeable to massive, game-breaking latency. I advice against doing anything else beside playing your game when you have people coming into your world. I myself enjoy the DST atmosphere even after ~9k irl hours: for example the birds singing at dusk or bug noises at night, quite the soothing little things.

I normally really adore the normal music (OST of the first game is out btw) but ever since the farming patch I stopped and listen to house or punk normal stuff really.  

Sadly I am not good enough at modding to disable the horrendous farming 40sec loop...

when i don't have the super mario music mod on, it's usually:

- the rock version of Diggy Diggy Hole when i'm mining or caving

- various music from other games, usually Patapon, Shantae, Pokemon, Dark souls, the aforementioned MArio Galaxy

- specific tracks would include the Moudamepon, Ushishi, or Totechitentan Themes, Counterfeit Mermaids, Slave Knight Gael's and Twin Princes theme, the music for Eterna City and Routes 214 and 216, and the Spark Mandrill theme
 - i've also been getting into sea shanties

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

If you host the game, don't have an excellent internet connection, and other people also join your world, you listening to online music, having a video in the background, streaming, downloading or otherwise having excess package traffic may spell for other players hopping your world lag - from barely noticeable to massive, game-breaking latency. I advice against doing anything else beside playing your game when you have people coming into your world. I myself enjoy the DST atmosphere even after ~9k irl hours: for example the birds singing at dusk or bug noises at night, quite the soothing little things.

I play my game using my home internet and listen to stuff on my phone which is on a separate connection. I play on console so Im not opening up tabs or anything of the like. 

7 hours ago, Owlrus said:

Yeah man, that's the stuff ;). Who do you listen to? I like The Rubber and SCP Explained~

The volgun most recently. I will check out the ones you listed though!

The in-game music, but I love the Dusk and Night music mod so I prefer to add them to the game, they feel so natural and good, remedying the silent dusk and night. Sad thing is, the original mod is abandoned and outdated (messes with the Return of them Music) while the alternative that uses the same tunes wasn't functioning right with the new Farming Theme last time I used it. I'd love to find a modder to commission a remake of the original mod, that also extends the lunar island music to dusk and night work, as well as not intervening with the new music that get added.

In my opinion there as TWO really good Don't Starve songs.

Spring Cleaning - Don't Starve [Acoustic]

Spoiler

[OJV] Don't Starve - Live - Orchestre de Jeux Vidéo

Spoiler

Sincerely,

Cactus

3 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

This is quite specific. Someone could be listening to it on a different device, or maybe they are playing PS4 or XBOX ONE. This is way too specific to just say, "Don't listen to music".

Sincerely,

Cactus

12 minutes ago, RoughCactus69 said:

In my opinion there as TWO really good Don't Starve songs.

Spring Cleaning - Don't Starve [Acoustic]

Reveal hidden contents

[OJV] Don't Starve - Live - Orchestre de Jeux Vidéo

Reveal hidden contents

Sincerely,

Cactus

Those are great!

Can we talk about how great the shipwrecked music is too!

Wow Im glad I made this post because I just realised I can listen to OTHER Don't Starve music in DST!

These are some of my faves from shipwrecked.

Think they could add a music box where we can listen to the music from the other dlcs?

That would be neat!

2 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

I play my game using my home internet and listen to stuff on my phone which is on a separate connection. I play on console so Im not opening up tabs or anything of the like.

I specifically pointed to this issue because as of lately (a couple of months by now) am joining at times random personal servers to see what bulk player-base is doing there, how, etc, aka the dynamic of those rooms in general. And in a lot of said pubs at time-and-again host goes red. When inquired about "playing online music on background, having a YT video in browser, streaming, downloading stuff via various protocols a.s.o." they will go "Ah! I was doing A/B/C/D.. from mentioned, ok, will close/stop." and connection goes back to green. Thus such aspect is good to be underlined.

46 minutes ago, RoughCactus69 said:

This is quite specific. Someone could be listening to it on a different device, or maybe they are playing PS4 or XBOX ONE. This is way too specific to just say, "Don't listen to music".

If by that you mean uncommon, I beg to differ. In fact a lot of people prefer doing multiple tasks on same connection as opposed to anything else. Once more, is good to know, many newbies/noobs/casual players don't seem to understand/do not factorize the exemplified issue.

Otherwise go wild: mute game and put in your 7.1 system the favorite black metal screamo band on repeat to the absolute horror of your neighbors and heavenly personal delight ;)

I usually listen to interviews with famous writers or more often to RPG sessions on YouTube, they are more dragged than normal audiobook narration so it's easier to focus on it while playing.

I still have to pause anything when I fight a raid boss or something more complex.

Archived