What you guys thinks about Warly?

Hello, i know there's a lot of post about Warly but i think we need to give him some attetion and i'm not talking about op character or anything like that.

I think Warly don't worth the effort you need to put on him just to be able to survive ins't hard is just high cust/low reward you can only eat one food type and you must wait 15m to eat the same food again, okay i love to cook and i can do a lot of foods but why we need to wait so much to eat the same thing again? would be MUUUUCHHHH BETTER if we did one of thoose things.

1 - If you eat an diferent food the the timer reset for the first food you eated.
2 - If you eat an diferent food the timer of the rest of the foods decrease by 50% 

That would be great, since you can do some diferent foods and have time to do other things beside hunt for food 90% of your time.

Warly food should give some bonus to other or to himself, like, normal food = 62 hunger, Warly's food = 82food, nobody in this game dies to starvation and there's nothing "OP" or "Broken" about a character being able to do better foods with better hungers values or even better, 30% on hunger, 5% on sanity, 2% extra on health, this would make everyone ask to Warly do the foods, when you play Warly in servers nobody care's about you doing the food, Warly is just another character that don't do anything usefull, spicy don't beat wolfgang insane damage or the amount of people just attacking at the same type one boss so people literraly say "We don't care about spice damage bonus" and that's sad, warly special foods use resources that aren't easy to get and the benefit it's to situational like eletrical damage(water ballon don't affect bosses or enemies) 

Again i'm not saying warly is trash or unplayable but he should be better than his is right now, we got Woodie amazing rework, Wig great rework(could be better but it's still awesome), Wormwood new buffs made him even better than he was, i think now is the time to give Warly some attetion. 

I don’t like him, my worst character to play as by far bar none: but it was inevitable at some point that out of the entire cast of characters i would have to find one I dislike.

Warlys problem is if your not looking up his special foods online: that you don’t play him all that much different from any other character, except for his food penalties which are quite harsh when you don’t know how to make enough different meals to keep him satisfied.

Im not ashamed at all to admit that out of the games 60 or so foods I only know how to craft 18 of them and NONE of them are Warly Specials.

Warlys role as Base Chef has been made a little easier to tolerate since the new RWYS gardens and how you can mass produce veggies with a single garden RigAMajig.. 

And admit-ably I haven’t even tried to play as Warly since the RWYS changes so who knows maybe i’ll struggle less as him now-

But base chef isn’t really a role I care for: so the character just seems Meh to me.

I kinda wish he could use his portable crockpot as a Melee weapon so I can do my best impersonation of Rapunzel from Tangled.. But also because it would give him something unique outside of his Chef dishes and portable cooking stations that would increase his uniqueness.

Why I want to use Crockpot as Melee weapon: Infinite Durability.. I can actually save resources (instead of using an axe or Pickaxe prior to being able to craft better things like spears or Hambat)

It is a very very early game perk I’d like him to have: but would help newer players in killing out spider dens prior to getting better weapons.

plus: INFINITE DURABILITY.. even skilled players could use it with effectiveness.

the TL:DR- I wish he had a little more going for him beyond just being the residential base cook.

He's Sexy.

I really didn't like him when he was only SW, I thought he was kinda "mean"? I don't even know if that's the word, I just didn't like the food stuff and him being picky. But when he came to DST, I fell in love, the animation helped a lot. 

He was already really powerful when RWYS was only a dream, now it's so easy to amass spices, his powerful dishes are kinda easy on late game too with the right setup. The few changes and tweaks we had with time besides the farming helped the character a lot too. 

Im envious of Warly. I feel he is the gold standard that every character should be based around now.

Unique downsides: ✔

Many utility abilities through food: ✔

2 DAMAGE MODIFIERS: ✔

Unique structures: ✔

When I look at wormwood (I love wormwood) I want all of that for him. Feels bad man...

I know a lot of people are entirely turned away by his downside, and I can understand that. Although let me drop a nice Warly main "secret"... you guys ready for this?.

Spoiler

Warly doesn't really NEED a variety diet. In fact, he can live off of meatballs permanently, and that is the easiest dish to make. I don't typically kill Bee Queen until the second year, and I spend the first summer in the caves. No bundling wrap and poor planning on my part means I gotta eat whatever the caves provide me. There isn't enough food down under to support a variety diet, so I just live off of meatballs. The key is that you want to make it so that the variety cooldown timer resets as close to you eating your first dish as possible. This means if you want to eat the same dish, you gotta eat them all at the same time. Let's look at meatballs for example:
Warly's memory effects the dish stats as follows, 100%, 90%, 80%, 65%, 50%, 30%----
This means eating 4 meatballs gives you hunger equivalent to (62.5 + 56.25 + 40.625 + 31.25) = 190.625 ≈ 190.6 hunger
Warly loses 180 hunger in 2 days meaning that when you are hungry again, you will be able to eat another meatball for full benefits (or in my case, another 4 to restart the cycle)

It might be a bit wasteful, but it's a nice way to use his upsides while being able to combat his downsides and not be a no good, dirty pick-and-swapper...

6 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

I know a lot of people are entirely turned away by his downside, and I can understand that. Although let me drop a nice Warly main "secret"... you guys ready for this?.

Hide contents

Warly doesn't really NEED a variety diet. In fact, he can live off of meatballs permanently, and that is the easiest dish to make. I don't typically kill Bee Queen until the second year, and I spend the first summer in the caves. No bundling wrap and poor planning on my part means I gotta eat whatever the caves provide me. There isn't enough food down under to support a variety diet, so I just live off of meatballs. The key is that you want to make it so that the variety cooldown timer resets as close to you eating your first dish as possible. This means if you want to eat the same dish, you gotta eat them all at the same time. Let's look at meatballs for example:
Warly's memory effects the dish stats as follows, 100%, 90%, 80%, 65%, 50%, 30%----
This means eating 4 meatballs gives you hunger equivalent to (62.5 + 56.25 + 40.625 + 31.25) = 190.625 ≈ 190.6 hunger
Warly loses 180 hunger in 2 days meaning that when you are hungry again, you will be able to eat another meatball for full benefits.

It might be a bit wasteful, but it's a nice way to use his upsides while being able to combat his downsides and not be a no good, dirty pick-and-swapper...

Isnt it a lot easier to incorporate meaty stew into that mix? Then at some point alternate between moqueca and meaty stew?  

Just now, HowlVoid said:

Isnt it a lot easier to incorporate meaty stew into that mix? Then at some point alternate between moqueca and meaty stew?  

Oh definitely 100%. I'm just using meatballs as an example for easy math. Plus sometimes when underground, morsels and monster meat is all you have at your disposal. Meaty stews definitely make it easier. You could in theory live off of meaty stews and fistfulls of jam, since it would put you over the 180 hunger threshold. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

Hide contents

Warly loses 180 hunger in 2 days meaning that when you are hungry again, you will be able to eat another meatball for full benefits.

I think it's important to note that Meaty Stew alone almost nullifies his downside, since it gives 150 of the 180 hunger he drains every 2 days, so you only need 20 more, which is practically any other crockpot dish in the game.

I personally like Warly the way he is right now.

The one thing I would DEFINITELY change if given the chance is seasoning salt, because it's basically a non-existent item with how underwhelming its effect is. 

I also think it'd be neat if his food memory was based on the number of dishes eaten rather than time since they were last eaten, since that'd give the plethora of 37.5 hunger dishes more use as far as food variety goes. Right now, since its duration based you just need to use high hunger foods - something I think many players already do. I often survive off just Meaty Stew + whatever healing/sanity food I eat or Honey Ham + Bacon and Eggs, in varying quantities that trigger the repeat penalty but not to the 65% point.

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

Im envious of Warly. I feel he is the gold standard that every character should be based around now.

Unique downsides: ✔

Many utility abilities through food: ✔

2 DAMAGE MODIFIERS: ✔

Unique structures: ✔

When I look at wormwood (I love wormwood) I want all of that for him. Feels bad man...

Not to mention the 6 crops that were added specifically for him and are way less useful to the other survivors lol. (With the exception of potatoes and tomatoes/spicy veg stinger) Stuffed peppers anyone..? You practically have to play Warly to make use/have fun with a big chunk of content in the game. I dont think any other survivor can say that. 

He is without a doubt one of the best characters almost to an annoying Wolfgang degree to me ..:roll: (or even worse :lol::oops:)

It bothers me that Warly refuses to eat uncooked food, prefering to starve. In short, it is fine that it serves to balance its undoubted advantages; but man ... it's so illogical to self-kill yourself like this ...
I don't know, maybe I would have preferred that Warly could eat raw food with health damage.

Archived