Which crops do you grow, and why?

An Icebox can only hold 9 seed types and there are 14 total crops in the game(I would love to store them all in the 14 slots of a seed pack-it, but those doesn't prolong their spoilage time...), meaning I have to be at least somewhat selective about which crops to grow each season. So... which crops do you store seeds for, and why?

For me...

1. Dragonfruit. Is always the priority. Can be cooked into Dragonpies, which are among the best foods for both hunger efficiency and healing.
3. Potato. Consumes the same nutrients as dragonfruit during the seasons that dragonfruit doesn't. Also a component for Creamy Potato Purée, an excellent sanity food.
4. Garlic. The other component for Creamy Potato Purée. Grows in any season, and really the only compost consumer worth growing.
2. Toma Root. A nutrient counterweight to Dragonfruit, plus it can be combined with ice to make Vegetable Stingers for sanity. It's downside is that it spoils quickly.
5. Carrot. Mainly useful to have on hand as vegetable filler for recipes like Beefy Greens and Butter Muffins, and of course for building bunnymen hutches. Long spoil time means they'll last a good long time after harvest.

Thus, my preferred crop rotation is:

AUTUMN = 2 Carrot : 1 Garlic : 2 Potato
WINTER = 2 Carrot : 1 Garlic : 2 Potato
SPRING = 2 Carrot : 1 Garlic : 1 Dragonfruit.
SUMMER = 2 Toma Root : 1 Dragonfruit

Note: I'm aware my autumn and winter crops combinations are not very space-efficient, but it really is hard to find vegetable based recipes that suit. I'm up to change them if someone's got better options, though.

In autumn i love growing eggplant+corn+pumpkin i play Wormwood so hunger is the only thing im after and this combo has all the highest hunger value veggies! My fav combo. Ill also grow a few tiles of corn by itself since its a compost veggie and i have tons of rot. 

In winter ill grow pumpkin+asparagus+carrot, or just pumpkins if i dont want to cook. 

In spring i grow Dragonfruits which i fertilize with the poop from my beefalo :lol:. Also corn/asparagus again with rot if i dont feel like cooking pies. 

In summer i dont farm because im in the caves. Before i got bundling wraps i used to take two stacks of crop seeds to the ruins and they lasted the entire season for me for hunger combined with some foraged bananas. With the wraps now i usually bundle the majority of the pies i made in spring for the summer. (I eat raw corn and cooked asparagus in spring then) 

I really love how u can live off of farms alone now if thats what you choose :love_heart: at this point i convert all monster meat to eggs and either let them rot or use them as pie fillers :lol:

Some number for reference:
Each crop will take wormwood cost 2 seconds

Mass planting crop for non wormwood cost 4.5 seconds

Per fruit/vegetable basis, giant crop for non wormwood cost as low as 2.5 seconds. But pairing with inferior filler crop, or usage of expensive fertiliser, will greatly increase the cost, 

Cooking veggie at furnace cost 1 second for most character, 0.5 second for warly and willow

Using the crockpot cost 5 seconds

I generally have already have a 40+ pig farm for the pig skin, and generate meat for wigfrid. So the favoured crops are:

Potato/tomato for heal. They are the most economical heal, just that cooked potato doesnt last that long, so it is not that good for boss bundle. potato are generally kept in base salt box for general healing and supplement hunger. Main hunger would still be from meat stew. this combination is used even in winter and summer because to use other replacement would incur more penalty. Cooked tomato is the economical boss bundle heal.

Tomato/dragonfruit when there are plenty of twigs. dragonpie will be a premium heal, cost about 50% more compared to potato, but it has longer shelf life and provide more hunger for low intensity combat like ruin.

The secondary crops are:

Pumpkin is the most economical hunger. If strictly farming for hunger, Mono cropping pumpkin with growth formula is more economical than mixing in other crops

Corn for powdercake and hunger

Garlic to consume the compost nutrient slot in winter, also good for creamy potato, but otherwise filler

Onion for warly to cook

Pepper for the spice

Carrot for bunny hutch. Once the bunny farms are done, it become useless

The useless crops:

Durian get outclassed by pumpkin for hunger

Eggplant are less flexible compared to potato, in terms of season or crockpot recipe

Asparagus are inferior to corn or garlic. For consuming compost nutrient in winter, garlic will be better since you need to plant less of these filler crop

Pomengrate due to the fast spoilage.

Watermelon are inferior to vegetable stinger, creamy potato, salsa fresca or cooked green cap.

I just do 12 dragonfruit and 24 toma root year round with only the friendly fruit fly. It saves me fridge space because I'm only doing 2 crops, and at worst it's 8 stress points which still gives me a crop and its seed. It's easy for health with cooked toma root and dragonpie, plus vegetable stinger is an easy sanity recipe with 3 toma root and an ice. I don't like having to base sit to maintain farms, so just doing this is perfect for me.

Basically all of them except onions, toma roots, eggplants, durians and pomegranates. The first two I don't put the effort in because they're mainly useful for actively playing Warly, and the last three because they just don't have anything unique enough that I'd use it frequently.

As for why: all of the generic veggies go into filler, pumpkins have been my main food for taming beefalo, watermelons are nice since fashion melons can keep you 100% cool during the beginning and end of summer so you don't have to worry about overheating for like half the season, dragon fruit make pies of course, garlic becomes filler or gets put aside for eventual spice, and finally peppers go into stuffed pepper poppers which I put in my insulated pack for warmth during winter.

The amount of things you can do with crops is awesome! I am hoping though that eventually we get more uses for fruit, since while it's cool that pomegranates are such nice healing, I'd prefer to have interesting crock pot recipes or items to make with crops rather than just cooking and eating them normally.

1. Potatoes - for all potatoes based dishes. Cheap hunger, health and sanity.

2. Garlic - potatao puree.

3. Onion - Veggie burger and salsa if I dont have ice for vegetable stinger.

4. Toma root/asparagus - vegetable stinger etc.

for now I dont have exact numbers, and somehow is easier for me to make bunch of leafy salads than dragonpies. There is almost no "useless" plants, except durian and pepper, I hate rot so anything like pomegranates or pumpkin are packed in giftwraps or bundles for later use. 

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

The amount of things you can do with crops is awesome! I am hoping though that eventually we get more uses for fruit, since while it's cool that pomegranates are such nice healing, I'd prefer to have interesting crock pot recipes or items to make with crops rather than just cooking and eating them normally.

Pomegrenades. :wilson_cool:

To answer the OP's question, I've only really played Wormwood since RWYS, so I haven't had a use for healing veggies. I also haven't bothered with crop combos except for multiplying seeds that were in short supply. Instead, I just plant every single seed of the plant I want with Wormwood's "plant anywhere" perk and rely on his blooming to auto-tend the plants for me, which guarantees 1 crop + 1 seed harvested per every seed planted.

For Hunger, I go with Pumpkins. I've accumulated ~383 pumpkin seeds by using farm plots, so now I just plant them all wherever there is space, then bundle the harvest and use it to feed myself for 2+ years. No meat farms, no honey farms, no drying racks. It's just pumpkins all the way down.

I have considered "upgrading" to Dragonpies, but the amount of twigs and cooking time those take to prepare put me off. Once I get a proper farm + kitchen setup (I'm on day 700+, but I've made no progress in that regard due to the abundance of pumpkins), I want to try doing 6 Dragon Fruits + 4 Toma Roots. It's not a self-sufficient combo, but it only takes 12 arrows of manure (6 uses of a bucket), so I can fertilize it all at once in the seed stage.

For Sanity, I either plant Toma Roots + Onions to make Salsa Fresca or, in winter, Asparagus for Vegetable Stinger.

For hunger, I just use Wormwood's plant anywhere + blooming to plant ~400 Pumpkins, then I bundle the harvest and feed on nothing but pumpkins for a bit over 2 years.

For sanity, I like to grow Asparagus for Vegetable Stinger or Toma Root & Onion

Potato Tomato Pumpkin Corn

Potatos and Tomato’s are great for restoring hunger and health, and can be grown together for low maintenance

Pumpkins are just great at filling a stomach.

Corn is easy to mass-harvest early game if you can get compost running, and it restores a fair amount of hunger.

If I'm not Warly I grow potato, pumpkin, and corn or garlic.

If I'm Warly I grow asparagus, garlic, dragon fruit, pepper, onion, and toma root. Maybe some potatoes.

6 hours ago, QuQuasar said:

Dragonfruit. Is always the priority. Can be cooked into Dragonpies, which are among the best foods for both hunger efficiency and healing.

I disagree. It's a very rare crop that hates half the seasons and is pretty bad unless you spend time and other ingredients cooking it into dragonpies which will give a mere 2 pumpkins worth of hunger and 2 potatoes worth of health.

17 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I disagree. It's a very rare crop that hates half the seasons and is pretty bad unless you spend time and other ingredients cooking it into dragonpies which will give a mere 2 pumpkins worth of hunger and 2 potatoes worth of health.

ok cool

Potatoes - cooked: 25 hunger & 20 hp. Almost all-year-round easy mono-culture crop to go for in giant form.

1 Potato + 1 Berry/Ice + 2 Twigs = Fancy Spiralled Tubers: 37.5 hunger & 15 sanity;

1 Meat/MM/Morsel + 1 Egg + 1 Potato + 1 Ice/Berry = Pierogi: 40 hp & 37.5 hunger;

Dragon Fruits for Dragon Pies: 40 hp & 75 hunger.

That's it. Simple & neat for all one's needs.

EVERYONE OF THEM... except durian and poms. Since I don't really wanna keep opening bundles for every harvest, I keep all my seeds in 2 iceboxes near the farm plots. then I rotate through all the in-season crops throughout the ~3 harvests you get per season, because iceboxed seeds don't last more than one IG year.

Onions. There is a lot of recipies that include onion. Veggie burger is OP

also a lot of garlic and pepper for seasoning and dragon fruit as by-poroduct

Also tons of corn for epic full chest of seasoned powder cakes so i can switch from warly

I never grow eggplant. What's the point. 

During spring i mass farm dragonfruits and tomatoes (self fertilizing combo) to make dragonfruit pies and vegetable stingers (a very good sanity food, 1 tomato, 1 ice, and 2 veggies that can be stone fruit) that last me all year, and sometimes even spoil

1) early game: Corn -> powdercake --> placed behind a fence to bait gobbler
2) Dragonfruit: Dragonpie
3) Tomato/Carrot --> basic filler for leafy greens and pierogi

Though, I usually only grow crop rotations that self fertilize as found + have the above in them, since I'm usually too lazy to fertilize myself.
ie 4:4 tomato/potato in autumn, 4:4 melon/carrot in spring
12:6 tomato/dragonfruit in spring/summer, and various 13x12 and 16:8:8 ratio layouts

(!Huge shout-out to QuartzBeam for their incredibly helpful self-feeding farms guide.)

the main crop i grow is pumpkin (either to build lanterns for decoration or scarecrow for toadstool) and carrots(to build more bunny houses)

not sure i'm a fan of farming, cuz i feel it binds me to a location and takes too much attention. besides... i mostly play wigfrid.lately.

Archived