A trash can needs to be implemented

Not only it helps you dispose those annoying 1% helmets, it also will help the server reduce lag, for having less trash items to be loaded. For now the only way you can dispose trash is either glitch yourself out of cave map and drop items to the void (but if your base is on surface it will be a pain in the @ss to do so), or feed the trash to lureplant (lureplant won't grow in winter). If you join klei servers with 70+ days, you most likely will find an area full of items like 3% pick axes, spiderhats, top hats, tentacle spikes, ... that noone will ever use again

there's this thing called lure plants that weird purple bulp that looks like a flower about to bloom but instead it places a lure above it and eye plants grow around it to snatch pray, if you kill the bulb you'll get it and you can place it,so build turfs that can't grow crops on em and place a small area in the middle where you place the lure and plant and it must has enough space for a single eyeplant to sprout very close to it and place all your 1% axe and pickaxes and helmet (just know the place around the anti eyeplant turf will have eyeplants so make sure to make it big enough for a gap to open and go through without getting bitten)

Use the tools, feed them to a lureplant, drop them in the void, give them to a disconnecting player, give them to Maxwell... There's a lot of trash cans. Frankly I don't think a trash can that's easier to access than the already easy to access ones would be a very good idea, it would encourage people to throw anything they don't think is very useful away. But public players think a lot of stuff is not very useful.

If the world is day 70+ as you say it is, you should easily be able to make a lureplant trash can. It not growing in winter shouldn't be a problem, how much trash can actually pile up over the course of a week or two?

I agree that a refurbishing structure would be in order- going with composting bin's design philosophy but for inorganic material. Green Moonlens would be perfect ingredient for such a structure, going with Green Gems' theme of Working and giving another colored moonlens a structure it deserves. Green Gems would be sufficiently late game items for the task, locking the item out of the early game and potential newbies.

I'd prefer something more "natural"/automatic, like decay, but I'd be equally happy for a bin, maybe even like the compost bin.

If rot and bee stingers disappeared over time I think it'd free up like 6 gigs on my server alone my God.

There is this one mod my friend and I have in every world, and its that garbage can that destroys everything you put inside it, turning them into ash (and the wind takes care of the rest). Helps a lot against those heaps of stingers, hound teeth, bunny puffs, piles of stale honey and event items that only take up space. Always thought of it as a convenience feature that could be part of the game, with a few thematic changes like making it magic-based.

Gotta be honest, I was excited when I could throw stuff into a composting bin- and just as quickly as I was excited... I was Disappointed when I couldn’t also chunk my 2% Spears over into it.

Hopefully Klei considers a waste disposal box at some point.. otherwise- I feel sorry for all the noob players who join my worlds and pick up my nearly dead left overs I leave laying around everywhere. :lol:

I don't know about potential introduction of a specialized "trash bin" structure build by player. As others stated above, we already have current in-game alternatives for unwanted mats' disposal: Lure Plants, Gate-to-Abyss glitch to simply drop items into oblivion, splashing items at margin of Ocean, leave them in Meteor Fields for bombardment deletion etc. Might be a good QoL element, like a specific boss-loot blueprint or the like. Maybe.

Anyway, in the "fixing my issue by myself" spirit, if you play on PC, have personal servers and don't mind using mods, here are some present-of-post substitutes for your OP's desire: Trash Bin Chester (deletes items in it when damaged by player), Trash Can (an updated bug-free version of the original forked mod, place stuff in its inventory and burn with a torch for ash counterparts), or World Cleaner (deletes items left on ground for too long, like Rot, Rotten Eggs, Spoiled Fishes, Stingers, Feathers, Cones a.s.o.). Cheers!

What if the furnace was a storage item, and whatever you stored in it immediately burned to ash?

Another alternative I'd really really like is the ability to combine 2 tools durabilities together. I know there's a mod for this, but imo it should be a base game feature(although it should restore durability at an overall loss, not be equal).

I like the furnace idea though,  Fire Packim already served this role in shipwrecked.

12 minutes ago, RoughCactus69 said:

Agreed. I absolutely agree. 

For the people saying, "Lure Plant"...... That's not what the lure plant is for, and I shouldn't have to wait 40'ish days to get one.

Sincerely, 

Cactus

and you shouldn't need to throw anything away below 40 days either

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

and for what are they made? they destroy items so works exactly the same

I guess they work like that, but that's not the reason they were implemented.

1 minute ago, Well-met said:

and you shouldn't need to throw anything away below 40 days either

Why not? Just because it doesn't cause lag, doesn't mean I don't want to throw it away.

I'm not really into the idea of a trash can because its so... direct? If that makes sense. I think part of the charm of Don't Starve is learning to use your environment and the things in the constant  for unique uses(e.g. lureplant as a trash can), and just adding a trash can item that deletes items feels kind of forced and direct.

I wouldn't mind if we got a "trash can" structure though.

1 hour ago, RoughCactus69 said:

I guess they work like that, but that's not the reason they were implemented.

I bet they thought about it as a reason to implement this mechanic. And even if they didn't, It doesn't mean you shouldn't use certain mechanics in ways that they were not implemented for. Expecially, if it's not a glitch, but pretty straight forward mechanic like item digestion. As Hornete stated above, it's part of the charm of DS that you have to use your environment to your advantage and don't have simple solutions for everything, only requireing more materials.

Archived