I figured out the two things that need to be implemented to make farming fully automatic

The two things:

- An auto-watering station (similar to a flingomatic), that you can refill with water (and also fuel maybe).

- Friendly fruit fly's implementation needs to work off-screen when unloaded (currently it works only when loaded, so you are tied to base)

That's it.
The other stress factors can be automated.

- Nutrients, Family, overcrowding and seasons requirements are handled by doing smart crop combos

- The weeds and killjoys are handled by only planting specific crops.

Only water and interaction is left.

Wanted to suggest this Klei. Maybe in the future a rare boss drop item (from Crab King?) that allows us to craft ONE of the rare and prestigious auto-watering stations.

I'm sure there are pun names to be given to it, keep it late game, and players will really enjoy them. :)

Farming is a great system. Great job!

I dont think this was much of a secret needing figuring out .. xD 

Im sure they considered sprinklers when developing RWYS and ultimately decided not to include them. Farming is already very rewarding with little effort and in my opinion does not need further automation. Watering automation should come with the eventual DST equivalent of the Howling Conch that the devs have indicated they're thinking about/working on. 

And I don't think farming should be automated. Previously, when having farms was just "plant a seed, come back later" people were whining it's uninteresting and useless. Now that you have a model that is much more interesting, still works as "plant and leave" if you want minimal results or don't care, but can be indulged in by anyone who wants better crops and is rewarded for it, that can already be slightly automated by just a bit of organization (planting crops that will feed eachother), automation of them will go against everything people wanted. I would find it blatantly unfair, to have my last 10 or more hours spent in the game looking for a good way that would work for me and bring good results cancelled, because I could have just waited a bit for few items that will make farming just as boring as it was before. 

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Ocuvigil keep the area around it loaded? Cause if yes, one could set a few up around the farms for the Friendly Fruit Fly to work, although that'd still be expensive early on. Then again, automation isn't an early-game concept in my opinion

I'm with @Ohan on this.

Giant veggies can give enough food to last you a year or two in the span of a few days. And with crop synergies, they take only a minute per day at most to provide that kind of harvest. So, asking for even that little effort this take to be automated seems rather excessive.

Besides, you don't need to get giant veggies and, therefore, you don't need to water the crops. Once you no longer need to multiply your seeds, the "minimal care" approach will net you tons of food just by using the one-man band for a couple of seconds. And that's without taking Wormwood's ability to plant every single seed at once AND tend to it at the same time into account.

5 hours ago, BezKa said:

And I don't think farming should be automated. Previously, when having farms was just "plant a seed, come back later" people were whining it's uninteresting and useless. Now that you have a model that is much more interesting, still works as "plant and leave" if you want minimal results or don't care, but can be indulged in by anyone who wants better crops and is rewarded for it, that can already be slightly automated by just a bit of organization (planting crops that will feed eachother), automation of them will go against everything people wanted. I would find it blatantly unfair, to have my last 10 or more hours spent in the game looking for a good way that would work for me and bring good results cancelled, because I could have just waited a bit for few items that will make farming just as boring as it was before. 

I 100% agree with everything you said, late game or not it doesn’t matter, when you make something your actively supposed to engage with or combat against Automated, then it becomes boring.

At that point why not just add a feature that makes the game play itself? Why not turn on God Mode so we never die?

Im over exaggerating a bit but let me explain that until a month or so ago I had NEVER been able to kill the Dragonfly boss, and then upon killing her I was rewarded with a Dragon Scaled Furnace- A device that I did not even know existed... but Gives Infinite free light and Warmth, and does not even need to be refilled with anything (this sounding broken to anyone yet?)

I hate when they add content to the game, give us problems/situations & activities we need to engage ourselves into- And then they add some OP item to the game that completely removes the challenge of it.

Even if they add a Sprinkler System to DST it shouldn’t ever 100% fully tend to your farms for you without you having to provide SOMEKIND of input (such as refilling it and also monitoring to make sure it’s not OVER WATERING your crops) 

Too much water will actually kill your crops..  etc.

24 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

until a month or so ago I had NEVER been able to kill the Dragonfly boss, and then upon killing her I was rewarded with a Dragon Scaled Furnace- A device that I did not even know existed... but Gives Infinite free light and Warmth, and does not even need to be refilled with anything (this sounding broken to anyone yet?)

well no.dragonfly is a hard but fun fight that rewards you for fighting and killing it and unless you're pretty good at the game and can kill her by first season cycle then it might take a while for you to kill her 

(also doesn't the scaled furnace exist in DS?)

anyways on topic.what everyone else said:lol:

(i don't want farming to be automated)

Y'all please remember a game design credo which has been also kinda forgotten with Winona: If igven the chance the playerbase will optimise the fun out of it.

Therefore I say the farming is automated enough. Honeslty how long did it take in the beta for make nutrients automatic?

I personally think farming is great as-is, but I really wish the Friendly Fruit Fly worked when you're far from it. For how large my farms usually are, standing around waiting for the fruit fly to do its job takes too long, so I just get rid of the fly entirely and do the tending myself. I usually play Wormwood so my bloom makes the plants happy by itself, but in case I'm another character I just use a one-man band.

As for watering, I don't mind how it is currently. I think it's well designed and balanced (a bit too forgiving if anything). If you REALLY wanted to automate it, you can use ice: every ice item gives the tile it's on 25% wetness when it melts. Ice takes like 3 days to melt, though, so you'll probably need to have it somewhat melted beforehand. Wouldn't work in winter since ice doesn't melt, but it could work otherwise.

For balancing discussions, I think the auto-watering station needs to have high costs to be balanced (have a recipe similar to the Houndius Shootius in terms of rarity)

Hence why I suggest Crab King, since few touch that boss.

1 hour ago, Electroely said:

If you REALLY wanted to automate it, you can use ice: every ice item gives the tile it's on 25% wetness when it melts. Ice takes like 3 days to melt, though, so you'll probably need to have it somewhat melted beforehand. Wouldn't work in winter since ice doesn't melt, but it could work otherwise.

interesting use

2 hours ago, Electroely said:

I personally think farming is great as-is, but I really wish the Friendly Fruit Fly worked when you're far from it. For how large my farms usually are, standing around waiting for the fruit fly to do its job takes too long, so I just get rid of the fly entirely and do the tending myself. I usually play Wormwood so my bloom makes the plants happy by itself, but in case I'm another character I just use a one-man band.

Beyond Friendly Fruitfly slacking off in the absence of players on screen, don't you also find its range rather small and unreliable at times or is it just me? In my experience, it's perfectly capable of attending to a 2x2 garden but whenever I go bigger, such as two 2x2s side by side and one 1x5 below them, he seems rather incompetent at tending most crops and often gets conflicted due to the crops at the edge of  its range, slowing down, spinning around and not even tending the crops within its range. I often end up stationing him to just one portion of the garden where I want the giant crops and tend to the rest by myself with a one man band/ don't bother turning them to giants.

Its range and sloth off-screen are stuff I can accept but nevertheless I'd love if its AI got a little improved.

11 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Beyond Friendly Fruitfly slacking off in the absence of players on screen, don't you also find its range rather small and unreliable at times or is it just me? In my experience, it's perfectly capable of attending to a 2x2 garden but whenever I go bigger, such as two 2x2s side by side and one 1x5 below them, he seems rather incompetent at tending most crops and often gets conflicted due to the crops at the edge of  its range, slowing down, spinning around and not even tending the crops within its range. I often end up stationing him to just one portion of the garden where I want the giant crops and tend to the rest by myself with a one man band/ don't bother turning them to giants.

Its range and sloth off-screen are stuff I can accept but nevertheless I'd love if its AI got a little improved.

i think his range is good but since the update left the beta it works weird

it can the field in the screenshot and the one in front of it if i let the friendly fruitfly fruit in the middle

image.thumb.png.418a427fa61fbd7cdfcc00dff82ddba0.png

Archived