Better luck next year :)

Steam revealed this morning the names for all nominated games for the different Awards, like the 4 previous years (I think ?) I've been voting for Don't Starve Together for the "Labor of Love", and as many Klei's games I could on the other rightful categories. Each year, I see someone take the initiative to advertise the nomination on the forums, and I'm sure a lot of us around do the same things to give a chance to the community to see DST where it belongs.

Yet, my favorite game missed the nomination on that category once again, I wish I only knew the full ranking after the 5 winning games cause I do have the felling DST is not far behind, especially as I see some of the game listed here haven't been as active as Klei for improving their games, but it's a fair competition I think :)

1.png.9024d59f10776ec58bb32c4cfed85b34.png

So yeah, no big deal, I just wanted to say 2020 was a crazy year, but an amazing one to be playing Don't Starve, and I do want to say how great this game changed my live and meet so many good people to play with. Thanks you Klei :wilson_love:

Among Us. 

The game that had the bare-minimum amount of effort put into it. 
It barely even qualifies as a game at all. 

And the other 4 games didn't even come out this year. 

Don't Starve Together didn't either, but it still gets updates every single month, and hot fixes nearly every week. 

The judges here were clearly biased for whatever was "cool" and "popular", NOT the kind of games that were actually deserving of the award. 

8 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

Among Us. 

The game that had the bare-minimum amount of effort put into it. 
It barely even qualifies as a game at all. 

I mean, there's a difference between an entire professional team and a guy working on games. So even tho this game had a lucky communication lately it made some improvements for its server and looking to bring more effort on it, apparently. I can respect that.

4 minutes ago, ADM said:

I mean, there's a difference between an entire professional team and a guy working on games. So even tho this game had a lucky communication lately it made some improvements for its server and looking to bring more effort on it, apparently. I can respect that.

Let's just all agree that these awards are chosen by game popularity and it has nothing to do with the award criteria. 

This award selection is a joke except for NMS 

Their selection criteria for this award is simply ridiculous, except for the nms, the other can be nominated for less than a few updates a year lmao.The power of the twelve-year-old voter.Or three years old.

dst is the game that should be competing with nms to  the award. This list is ridiculous, they are ****ing Ignorance

Regardless of whether or not Don't Starve Together gets the recognition it deserves, I will always support and love the Work Klei does both for their games and their community. In the end we don't need a steam award to express our care for both the game and its devs, and I think most others here would agree as well.

That said, be sure to enjoy the rest of the year Klei! You've done more for us than most other developers would nowadays, so enjoy Christmas with new years and keep making memories with your families like you've made for us.

:wickerbottomthanks:

Huh why is even Among Us in this list, wasn't Labor of Love specifically about games that didn't come out this year and thus couldn't be put into other categories but still stay relevant due to the updates and support it received throughout the years? I though Among Us was a 2020 game, did it just become popular in 2020 instead?

among us has zero business being there

and csgo is slowing down in quality and support will eventually drop just as all valve games

its obvious among us has had a mass voting campaign by a guillible playerbase and its more than likely half the people who voted csgo will regret it by december 2021.

30 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Huh why is even Among Us in this list, wasn't Labor of Love specifically about games that didn't come out this year and thus couldn't be put into other categories but still stay relevant due to the updates and support it received throughout the years? I though Among Us was a 2020 game, did it just become popular in 2020 instead?

The power of having hordes of rat kids xD

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

2018 game, only became popular in 2020.  

Yeah, the only two games that are really fitting here are Terraria and No Man's Sky. Among Us just got nominated because so many people play it, and, well, that's what tends to get nominated. Since everyone (without a limited account) can nominate and vote, is encouraged to do so by XP and trading cards, and does not need to pick something they have actually played, whatever is the most popular at the time usually wins. It's not exactly unfair, though it does get really annoying sometimes.

Really, I think that we just got extra unlucky with the rise of AU this year--there are always going to be at least a couple games nominated that don't really deserve the award. Hopefully in 2021 DST will have a chance with the resolution of RoT! Maybe Griftlands will be nominated for an award next year after full release too.

Like I said when this topic first came up- Winning some dumb (mostly meaningless) reward isn’t going to suddenly get Klei and DST the recognition that it rightfully deserves- only word of mouth can do that, maybe consider telling everyone how great it is- and when they refuse to believe you show them what DST looked and played like in 2017 compared to now at the end of 2020. :p

Seriously no joke, if people just knew how much this game changes and almost on a month by month basis with new updates- I bet whole lot more people would be giving it a shot at playing.

31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Like I said when this topic first came up- Winning some dumb (mostly meaningless) reward isn’t going to suddenly get Klei and DST the recognition that it rightfully deserves- only word of mouth can do that, maybe consider telling everyone how great it is- and when they refuse to believe you show them what DST looked and played like in 2017 compared to now at the end of 2020. :p

Seriously no joke, if people just knew how much this game changes and almost on a month by month basis with new updates- I bet whole lot more people would be giving it a shot at playing.

mike get your dumb positiveity out of here.we are here to complain about the fact that klei didn't win 

(sorry that was a bit mean.but the last part wasn't a joke)

It only comes down to sheer popularity numbers, OP, as am sure you know. DST can't even begin to compare by said metric to some of those nominees. For example most played multiplayer game today (moment of this post), on Steam, is CS:GO with a peak of 1.015.643 players, and its last update was released on December 18, 2020. Same with Among Us, a game lately (this year) made very popular (again) by streamers like PewDiePie: 131.062 peak players in last 24h - last updated on 21 December 2020. As for the former 3, indeed are more comparable in metrics with DST, yet all of them are present in-one-form-or-another in mainstream & alternative media a lot, be it because of this year's huge update for Terraria (34.332 peak in 24h - last update on 17 December 2020), avid player-base, fan-art, now a TV show, constant multimedia coverage etc for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (28.453 peak in 24h - last update from 11 November 2020), or steady controversy related to what was promised, what was delivered, how and in which capacity in case of No Man's Sky (7.435 peak for 24h - last updated on 30 November 2020). (The numbers don't account for multiple platforms - for example on November 2020, No Man's Sky was released on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X & Series S, thus another player-base boost for that particular game as of late.)

Don't Starve Together (31.519 peak in 24h - last updated on 23 December 2020) seems to lack multi-media presence - and here some of the fans that write reviews, do videos on multiple platforms and the like could give a helping hand in future if they desire DST receive more recognition.

PS: would also fair well if KLei themselves advertised the game more, and even sponsor certain streamers into playing the game if their goal was additional publicity towards certain targets (awards included).

4 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Among Us came out in 2018 and just got popular this year.

Shame DST didn't make it, but at least Terraria and No Man's Sky did, I think either of those games are more than deserving of this award.

Don't panic about Don't Starve Together not being nominated for the Labor of Love award, it didn't deserve that award anyway. Not because it's a bad game, more like because the developers are doing a bad job at updating their game.

• Almost every bug report ends up in Klei's trash can, exception is if it causes the game to crash or if it's submitted within the first days after an update
  • Their current update theme is focused on very lategame content, in a game where all your progress gets ereased if you die; good for those who are playing in their own long term server, but nothing for players who can't get past first Winter or who enjoy playing public
  • The balancing system of the game is just horrible, some features are overpowered while other features end up becoming a noob trap; it hurts the survival aspect by making your life too easy, but it also hurts new players if they pick the wrong way

Being disrespectful towards others by ignoring bugs, not providing new features for new players, removing the survival aspect from the game: Why would a game led by such developers deserve the Labor of Love award? It feels like Klei never played their own game and makes their decisions based on the experience of "rat kids" and a popular bragger who doesn't even play vanilla.

You all might be happy about Klei's updates, but there are many other communities outside of this forum who are not that happy about them. But Klei doesn't care about others.

I obviously love this game, and don't have an account on any other game company forums, BUT No Man's Sky definitely beats out DST on this one. ESPECIALLY considering it's a labor of love...Many of us buy every skin possible and even buy merch from the Klei store. No Man's Sky doesn't have in game purchases so everything they've been doing in 2020 is to make the game better and with no additonal revenue. Only people hearing about the improvements and deciding to buy the whole game. 

1 hour ago, NSAiswatchingus said:

I obviously love this game, and don't have an account on any other game company forums, BUT No Man's Sky definitely beats out DST on this one. ESPECIALLY considering it's a labor of love...Many of us buy every skin possible and even buy merch from the Klei store. No Man's Sky doesn't have in game purchases so everything they've been doing in 2020 is to make the game better and with no additonal revenue. Only people hearing about the improvements and deciding to buy the whole game. 

Heh, I didn't even know No Man's Sky was still a thing ever since myself and thousands just refunded the game on release. Glad to hear it still has a small and dedicated fanbase that struck around despite the monumentally controversial release, and the game is still getting supported by updates. 

Honestly from my personal steam library of 100+ games and what I know of the other nominations I'd say DST might seriously be one of the games best fit for the reward of "released sometime ago, still kept relevant thanks to consistent updates". Town of Salem is also a good nomination but it has a small player base so it could never compete; Team Fortress 2 is still relevant but largely abandoned by the developers since Pyro update; Mortal Kombat 11 got great updates this year but 2019 release date still seems too soon to be considered; I think GTA V and Payday 2 are still being updated I guess so they may have been nominated, Binding of Isaac still got a while for the next update I think...

Personally, I feel that Labour of Love just gets turned into "Game of the year, but the game didn't come out this year" - since every other category only accepts games published on steam that year. So of course people are going to put the game they play the most there, regardless of how much support it got. Since it's the only category that accepts it. Honestly, I've had to vote for games I've never played because some of the category are SUPER specific??? Like specifically a game I suck at that, that released this year??? What??

DST for sure had more 2020 content than most of these games (all of it was free too!) so Klei still had my vote. 
...Even the award's a meaningless clump of pixels that in the end doesn't do anything...

Spoiler

And hey, I'm just glad Team Fortress 2 didn't get in there like it does every other year. Valve doesn't deserve any applause for their lack of critical support.

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

Being disrespectful towards others by ignoring bugs, not providing new features for new players, removing the survival aspect from the game: Why would a game led by such developers deserve the Labor of Love award? It feels like Klei never played their own game and makes their decisions based on the experience of "rat kids" and a popular bragger who doesn't even play vanilla.

You all might be happy about Klei's updates, but there are many other communities outside of this forum who are not that happy about them. But Klei doesn't care about others.

I think you're being a little bit too harsh on Klei; as far as the definition of the Labor of Love goes, I think DST is a super fitting title; still very actively getting updates, reworks and events; a title released in 2016 but still kept very relevant, new and inviting. Sure, I wish that bugs and glitches were more actively hunted and everything in the game were more balanced but as far as new content goes there aren't many games released 3+ years ago that are so consistently getting large content updates. 

I wouldn't say their updates are very late game focused either. Including RWYS, most of the Return of Them Updates have an overworld focus, aiming to expand the options of players in midgame - players that learned the basics and looking to expand their scope- Sailing, Fishing, Farming all affect the gameplay of pretty much all players besides the first time players. I think only She Sells Sea Shells and Forgotten Knowledge were updates specifically geared towards very late game players, even so still offering content to mid game players. And their Reworks and Events; they are all about enhancing the gameplay experience of players at any stage of the game.

Archived