Better luck next year :)

Wait No Mans Sky is actually good now? I’m sorry but if I buy a game promised a ton of features at release and those features aren’t nowhere to be seen it’s time to refund- but I’m glad that a lot of other people complained until they made things right.

DST is different because they didn’t promise me features that was not anywhere to be seen in the game, what I saw was exactly what I got, and Klei is also making huge strives to further increase my enjoyment of that product by offering new biomes, mobs, character abilities, craftable items, world Gen settings, skins & more.

I don’t feel like a game that starts at horrible (No Mans Sky) and gets better over time should even be considered as a “good” Game but that’s just my opinion-

My opinion is also that with how bad Cyberpunk 2077’s release has been it will certainly when the next starts terrible but got better award.

Klei might be happy to win Labor of Love, but from what I saw when I tried to vote for it most the game categories are highly rigged anyway- not only can console players Not vote, but the games available to vote for are almost no-brainer picks on what’s going to win anyway.

They (Klei) deserves better than that.. but nonetheless maybe they will win it next year.

The sad thing is popularity plays more of a part then the amount of passion put into the game. I don't have anything against the games that were nominated, but I do feel that DST definitely deserves to be there more then some of the ones there.

I know you call this game uncompromising game, we discussed about it but it have a really big "ignorance" problem (specially for players who don't know english). They just play game for one hour then immediately dies and they just get shock. They don't want to start again bc they think it's gonna be waste of time. I know tons of people which just have game but don't care about it. Players love this game after they learn it.

With new gameplay mods, starter guides or just achievements they can show players to what to do. Players just don't have idea to what they are gonna do at first hours.

I think that's why DST can't get popularity which it deserves.

Spoiler

Also I choose terraria but among us is gonna win, just saying...

1 hour ago, Slagger said:

I know you call this game uncompromising game, we discussed about it but it have a really big "ignorance" problem (specially for players who don't know english). They just play game for one hour then immediately dies and they just get shock. They don't want to start again bc they think it's gonna be waste of time. I know tons of people which just have game but don't care about it. Players love this game after they learn it.

With new gameplay mods, starter guides or just achievements they can show players to what to do. Players just don't have idea to what they are gonna do at first hours.

Reveal hidden contents

That is because game of these days are made taking a lot of care of the feelings of the player

Autosave beforr boss fights, no punishment when dying, huge tutorials, easy difficult curve, etc

When a player that always plays this kind of game plays a game who slap their face they feel frustrated because they are not "winning"

Just read the last comments from the topic "this game is way to difficult", a guy insulting and cursing because he loses even cheting and feel frustrated and complaining because he cant cheat and want to die without punish. For that this is a niche game and will not be as popular like others because the game "doesnt care" the player and that is fine, me for explamen i dont play dark souls because i dont like how it works but other people love it. Will dark souls be as popular as other games? No but that doesnt mean it is a bad game

For that game genders exists

And steam votation just sucks like all democratic stuff xD

On 12/23/2020 at 5:57 AM, Wendy C. said:

The judges here were clearly biased for whatever was "cool" and "popular", NOT the kind of games that were actually deserving of the award. 

- Terraria received its (supposedly) final update this year.
- No Man's Sky has become pretty famous in these last few months for having probably THE GREATEST ******* REDEMPTION ARC EVER (apparently, according to Internet Historian)
- Operation Broken Fang came out this year, for CS:GO. Not as neat as the other titles, but it is the most popular valve game and I guess people are happy it got updated.
- Witcher 3. No clue. I guess because it's coming to next gen? Why is this on here?

And the other 4 games didn't even come out this year. 

That is the point of the Labor of Love award. The game came out already, and the devs are still updating and supporting it.

Among Us. 

The game that had the bare-minimum amount of effort put into it. 
It barely even qualifies as a game at all. 

when the imposter is sus!!!

Eh. It has cool map design. A semi-decent artstyle. And exploded into popularity due to the failure of many governments worldwide to respond appropriately to the pandemic. It's also incredibly simple, which is appealing sometimes.

9 hours ago, Slagger said:

Reveal hidden contents

You know honestly, I’m inclined to agree with you, some people play DST but they don’t have a CLUE what they are doing- and they get frustrated when they can’t win the game. 

But not Everything needs a step by step tutorial (a few spoilers for minor game stuff if your new to DS)

Spoiler

Like they don’t need to tell players how to craft rabbit traps and bait them or scare rabbits into them, they don’t need to tell you how to craft a fishing rod and go fishing in ponds, they don’t need to baby step players through finding the Healing Tab and using the myriad of healing options available to them, or explain that going into a fight without Armor = Bad Idea.. ETC..

Small hints at what to do is fine- but not Step by Step guides.

However- there are SOME things that DO need those step by step guides: Things that players won’t ever figure out for themselves without looking it up online through the Wikipedia pages or forums..

Examples are: Exactly what each of Wendy and Wigfrids rework craftable items do.

Players shouldnt HAVE to resort to a Wikipedia page to know that information- it should probably be included in the characters Compendium page right there in your face and easy to understand.

Details and stats for each Stagecraft Song and Ectoherbology potion.

DS is a game about learning things for yourself, but it also wouldn’t hurt if things like what Wigfrids scrolls and Wendy’s potions do weren’t so obscure either.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

But not Everything needs a step by step tutorial

I'm exactly saying same thing. For example it can say "You should build a light source to survive at night. Darkness will kill you!" then when player build a campfire it will say "Campfires are light and warm source. You can cook food on it" and then "You can use crockpot to make more effective foods" and like that.
And of course it should be "choosable", when you start game for first time, it could ask you to play with guides. I was watching videos more than playing when I starded Dont starve.

1 hour ago, Slagger said:

I'm exactly saying same thing. For example it can say "You should build a light source to survive at night. Darkness will kill you!" then when player build a campfire it will say "Campfires are light and warm source. You can cook food on it" and then "You can use crockpot to make more effective foods" and like that.
And of course it should be "choosable", when you start game for first time, it could ask you to play with guides. I was watching videos more than playing when I starded Dont starve.

then it will lose the "science" part of "Don’t Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic"

to know if a meat can be cook i just tried to cook it on the fire and it worked and i figure that darkness can kill me after the first 6 minutes of playing (you can guess how)

a big part of the experience is trying everything to guess if you could or what might happen when you do certain things

55 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

then it will lose the "science" part of "Don’t Starve is an uncompromising wilderness survival game full of science and magic"

to know if a meat can be cook i just tried to cook it on the fire and it worked and i figure that darkness can kill me after the first 6 minutes of playing (you can guess how)

a big part of the experience is trying everything to guess if you could or what might happen when you do certain things

Exactly- If players die 12 times to darkness and don’t think uhm gee maybe I need to check my crafting inventory to see if I can’t make a light source, then I don’t think that type of player is ever going to enjoy the game because clearly they just aren’t going to catch on without reading guides, watching videos or having a big flashing tutorial explaining it to them.

But.. like I said there are other confusing things about the game that can also be made a little less confusing, like having information that explains exactly what Wendy’s Ectoherbology potions & Wigfrids Stagecraft songs do.

Currently the in game descriptions for vital parts of playing those characters only give a vague description- I think players should instead know for example: Weaponized Warble strengthens weapon durability so they last longer in combat.

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Exactly- If players die 12 times to darkness and don’t think uhm gee maybe I need to check my crafting inventory to see if I can’t make a light source, then I don’t think that type of player is ever going to enjoy the game because clearly they just aren’t going to catch on without reading guides, watching videos or having a big flashing tutorial explaining it to them.

But.. like I said there are other confusing things about the game that can also be made a little less confusing, like having information that explains exactly what Wendy’s Ectoherbology potions & Wigfrids Stagecraft songs do.

Currently the in game descriptions for vital parts of playing those characters only give a vague description- I think players should instead know for example: Weaponized Warble strengthens weapon durability so they last longer in combat.

it would be cool to have some informations of hints for things like the atrium, the moon event, etc

but you examples can be learn easily by just reading the description, character examination and trying it

for example you can easily know that dark sword>hambat>spear by just fighting or that thulecite gear are better than football helmet or log suit because of how much they resist and how little damage the character receives

Off-topic game design ideas and playerbase analysis aside, let me state my opinion, please.

I certainly believe that while DST's development processes are janky at times (Klei Time, anyone? Singleplayer being neglected too?), Klei does listen its playerbase while keeping its vision of the game largely intact. For instance, the lightning change in the August QOL is one example that really stands out especially in its sensitivity.

In the end, while not all labours of love may be perfect or trumpeted from the halls of video game fame, Don't Starve Together is an unsung, careworn, weatherbeaten labour of love from the hearts of a small indie game company that has been nurtured through the ages. By the least, while the major audiences of the world do not recognize it, at least we do, i guess.

3 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Klei Time,

klei has been on time nowadays when it comes to updates now right?from what ive seen they've been making an update a month as of 2020 (expectation for console players because RWYS came out 1 month after pc players got to try the beta)and thats a pretty big accomplishment considering covid and all that

13 hours ago, stranger again said:

klei has been on time nowadays when it comes to updates now right?from what ive seen they've been making an update a month as of 2020 (expectation for console players because RWYS came out 1 month after pc players got to try the beta)and thats a pretty big accomplishment considering covid and all that

Yeah, Griftlands side of Klei is a nonstop train of updates. Pretty terrifying.

4 hours ago, minespatch said:

Yeah, Griftlands side of Klei is a nonstop train of updates. Pretty terrifying.

now that i think about it are klei even human?i know this might might sound dumb but i wouldn't be surprised if the people at klei are actually aliens with advanced technology trying to gain our trust so they can kill us all one day 

Archived