Beefalo should be reworked in year of the beefalo!!!

I don't think there's any need for male and female beefalos. There's absolutely no reason for them to be separated into genders, there's no other mob that works like that, so why beefalos? 

Different looks for baby beefalos would be pretty cool, not just size change. 

Milk nah, we got volt goats for that. 

I don't really know what I want from beefs on the year of the beefalo event. No ideas come to mind, but it is a great opportunity for a bit of a rework. For the event I have been thinking of beefalo obstacle course, since there was racing for Carrats already. 

I know I'm gonna be happy with whatever we get, so I'll just here waiting :)

The only issue I have that I am an overbearing mama, so I continue feeding my tamed beefs almost daily or so so that I won't need to retame them if they somehow undomesticate themselves despite being near saltlicks.
(I highly suspect that saltlicks dont completely prevent the domestication drain- theres large misunderstanding about it.)
I would like to have a sort of feeder that would feed my big babi boofs so I can continue expanding my megabase instead of tending to beefs.

I dont think they need a rework, just some QoL improvements, like a widget that shows beef HP, obedience and domestication when you ride it so theres more clarity to the whole process. When you have that information taming becomes a million times less daunting. Other small things off the top of my head that id think would be nice and have been mentioned on the forums before:

• Advanced salt lick with a lot more durability and/or refillable, requiring sea salt 
  • Backpack saddle 
  • Enable us to mount beefalo who are in combat (worst feeling in the game imo rn)
  • Buff pudgy tendency 
  • being able to revive fallen beefalo im sure would encourage more people to actually try taming one 

12 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

Hate the idea of male female beefalos, i am irrationally negatively biased towards beefalo milk...all that needs to be done for year of the beefalo is just to add a few items or ways to deal with their domestication. I have a thread about it somewhere

I think this guy is somehow a dev account that posts in every thread in the forums, saying everything is good the way it is atm, so they don't need to do anything... XD

Why only add items, when u can do cool things related to beefalos.

10 minutes ago, Spearowgilly said:

I think this guy is somehow a dev account that posts in every thread in the forums, saying everything is good the way it is atm, so they don't need to do anything... XD

from what ive seen @Lbpherois definitely not a klei dev:lol:

12 minutes ago, Spearowgilly said:

I feel reluctant to change things purely for the sake of changing things...and i feel like basically everything with regards to beefalo outside of taming is exactly how it should be. And with taming, as someone who tames beefalo incredibly frequently especially compared to the average player, i get the feeling that some of the problems that people have with beefalo is either like, intentional and subsequently part of the "charm" of beefalo, or like something that shouldnt have an incredibly straight forward solution as people seem to want it to...

Things like giving a beefalo a stats bar with domestication and health stats, i dont like. I think that could be handled differently, like for example giving a beefalo different animations depending on if you're about to be bucked off or if the beefalo is low-ish hp. This is however unnecessary, since the player could just check manually if its rideable or seeing the overlay the beefalo gets if its below a certain threshold of hp. 

I feel like if you would change anything about the beefalo short of giving it items, it would just be to let it disconnect with the player. Salt licks are entirely manageable to acquire and use, 2 of them stave off beefalo domestication loss for a whopping 30 days. The problem occurs when the player plays on a dedicated server. The player must perform an exploit of beefalo sleeping behavior in order to avoid building something like 40 salt licks just to let the beefalo stay domesticated for the night so they can sleep. I hate it. 

I don’t agree with the OPs suggestion of male and female Beefalo’s unless they’re gonna do like Pipspook and have several versions like that with curls/bows in their hair.

However what I DO Agree with is easier or at least easier to understand and follow taming/domestication process.

The New RWYS Beta (which I can’t play but can read about..) seems to have plants that have needs and wants, and you can wear a hat to tell you said plants needs and wants

CURRENTLY- Taming Beefalo is such a Chore that it was literally the last and final achievement I unlocked for the game if you haven’t seen that image you can check it here in Spoiler:

Spoiler

D89CFBB9-359C-4C2F-A93D-4C9DDA3D2461.thumb.png.a26d8e0fb31ae3425c6c875a1a307c58.png

as you can see I had less trouble killing Dragonfly, Ancient Guardian and finding both the Shelmet and Slurtle Armor then I had with taming a Beefalo.

There are several easy to identify with reasons for this- Beefalo in their current form show no indication of getting full, or happier, or a percentage bar of how close you are to taming them, Maybe Klei should take a page from Ark Survival Evolveds book so we have clear indicators of how close to being tamed a Beefalo actually is?

The next update coming in January is Year of The Beefalo.. if there was ever a time to make this process less confusing, more entertaining and more rewarding to do... Then would be the time to do it.

Easier Taming, other ways to interact with, custom outfits, skins, mini-game activities etc... 

One thing is for absolute certain though- for this to have been the last achievement I unlocked it clearly needs to be overhauled.

And on a side note: A groomed (tamed) version Beefalo is rather Cute <3

But until it’s reworked... it’s not something I plan to be doing often.

Removing all the Beefalo related tools from being cluttered in the tools tab and having all that content easier to find within an exclusive Beefalo Taming craftable structure like the Think Tanks Seafaring Tab would also probably help too.. being able to find Salt Lick, Saddles, Saddle Horns, Beefalo Brush etc all within their own Think Tank like Structure, Maybe a Small Ranching Station capable of parking your tamed Beefalo? 

I dunno I’m just trying to think up cool things that could improve it. 

Anyone have any good ideas or suggestions? We’re a month away from Year of the Beefalo, nows the time to be providing your suggestions.

Can someone explain all the hate towards the concept of beefalo milk? I'm surprised people are against the idea. Especially since I'm of the opinion we need the ability to make cheese. I always thought the process of getting milk from volt goats was odd anyway. If you're killing something while milking it you're doing it wrong.

I'm all for moving the beef taming items to their own tab.

1 hour ago, Monkey Cups said:

Can someone explain all the hate towards the concept of beefalo milk? I'm surprised people are against the idea. Especially since I'm of the opinion we need the ability to make cheese. I always thought the process of getting milk from volt goats was odd anyway. If you're killing something while milking it you're doing it wrong.

I'm all for moving the beef taming items to their own tab.

Milk is such a complicated thing irl and introducing it into the game in normal format feels... Too connected with reality? It's already a fun thing that you can get butter by killing butterflies, and it's used only in several recepies. Same with electric milk, it's an absurd concept of getting milk from a goat but only one that's been struck by lightning. 

Introducing a whole new mechanics that allows you to farm another whole genre of food that gives so many options for new foods feels especially unneeded now, we have farms and meat, we have honey and fish, there's almost too much food in the game. Beefalo milk feels like pushing it, even if the mechanic and cheese making and stuff would be fun and interesting I don't would not bother. What else can this give me other than few more crockpot recepies and more chores? 

Beefalos are shown to be just simple herd animals, they have little mechanics you should mind, such as heat and herd locations and creation. Once you take away the beef to tame it most of gets taken away and replaced by having to take care of it. They're one of the simpler parts of the game and most people don't want them to become too complicated.

On 11/28/2020 at 9:46 PM, Dr. Safety said:

Either that or a certain character that @minespatch likes might be getting some time in the spotlight...

5ca8e56358998_noxdescription.thumb.png.c83e8e21e919daec6f071415591580b8.png

Nox lore plz

JoeW

chester_tweet.pngclassic.pngVisited by the Title Fairydsbeta_sm.pngdstbeta_sm.pngonibeta_sm.png
  • NinJoe
  • JoeW
  • Administrators
  • team_kleistaff.png
  • 4618 posts

He has a story. Rumor is that he even at one point had a short cinematic. 

(He actually does say some things about himself from time to time, gives a little bit of information about himself)

Id love a belt that can be attached to them that adds QoL stuff like:

1. A bag under their butts that collects their poop. Can hold a stack.

2. One of those horse side blinds that help them focus. Maybe even a blind fold? Keeps it from attacking things when in heat but you cant mount it and it immediately comes off when attacked and retaliates.

3. A jaw breaker made from nitre. You can ride ornery beefalos with out feeding it every ten seconds. 3 day durability. Keeps beef from moving so it doesn't follow me into traps when im resetting them or wanders off into the sunset (by sunset I mean deerclops to be flatten in the dark).

4. A name tag. Keep people from riding it and your character will say its name when inspecting it. 

5. A necklace requiring a life giving amulet in the recipe. If beefalo dies it revives.

3 different types of belts each with one more slot that can only hold beef stuff. Basic, advanced, luxury. Last one needing bearger pelt as it will be fur and I can look pimping.

On 11/28/2020 at 8:39 PM, Ohan said:
  • being able to revive fallen beefalo im sure would encourage more people to actually try taming one 

That would be super cool. A revivable mob would be tricky to fit into the game, concept- and design-wise. "Why only beefalo can be revived?" would be added to the list of questions some players are uncomfortable with. Like "why don't pigs automatcally turn into werepigs on the Lunar Island?", and all that.

But I would like it a lot.

So no one else is going to suggest this? What about the new Milk Hat introduced in Forgotten Knowledges.. why can’t I simply place that sucker on my Beefalo’s head and let it passively feed it while I’m out gathering the 500 stacks of Twigs and 800 Grass it needs for taming?

On 11/29/2020 at 1:44 AM, Mthestarver20 said:

Male and female beefalos

I was thinked about that before but it's gonna make game more complex so sadly now I say no.

Different stats,different mechanics,different appearances.

Yes, yes and yes. I always wanted a cave and water beefalos. I mean there can be little island with reeds and beefalos island, like shipwrecked.

Different growth stages of beefalo

Nope, uselles

beefalo milk

i always wanted this but milking should be in specific times, like when they give birth

1 hour ago, sinisterrkid said:

A revivable mob

In my opinion when you complete the labor of love that is beefalo domestication it no longer is just 'a mob'. There is no equivalent to a domesticated beefalo. 

Ive gotten wiser since my early days of beefalo taming and unmounting near tentacles and deerclops on accident so i havent gotten my hoofed partner killed in a long time but i imagine a lot more people would feel more encouraged to embark on the journey of domestication if they knew they had some kind of safety net. 

This really can be accomplished in numerous ways doesnt have to be a revive, even just simply

• allowing remounting when the beefalo is in combat with a mob would feel great. could be linked to an emergency threshold HP for the beef, 
    • OR how about a beefalo whistle that makes it lose aggro to hostile mobs and run towards you?
  • Or making it so saddled beefalo no longer take damage as if they were a mob, so they dont die in seconds when you're not riding them 

Archived