In defense of the macabre creature designs from the "Return of Them" series of updates.

3 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Also:  Ya don't get to expose me to my phobias without my permission, pal.  Are you a psychologist?  Is this a controlled environment?  No?  It's just a game?  Then ya don't get to mess with me.  Well...I mean you CAN, I can't physically stop you, but that's not actual therapy.

...Notorious

That's a very entitled way of looking at things. I enjoy horror, but I absolutely cannot stand jumpscares. They make me very anxious. Do I complain to directors of horror movies and video companies for having horror elements I enjoy with jumpscares I despise? No, because it's up to me to choose what to expose myself to.

The world doesn't exist to accommodate you.

Edit: Also? What? No one said video games are therapy. No one ever said that, Klei never said that, what are you trying to say?

12 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

The thing people bring up concern about is that they are mentally incapable of handling these mobs. Saying someone is just "young or inexperienced" for being bothered by these is like saying that someone with trypophobia is just too "young or inexperienced" to look at patterns of holes which disturb them. It's like saying that someone with claustrophobia is just too "young or inexperienced" to be trapped in a small space. It's like saying that someone with Acrophobia is just too "young or inexperienced" to hang out on the roof of a skyscraper.

People who don't like horror hounds and moonrock pengulls aren't saying "they scare me, never add anything like this again" they're saying "my mind literally cannot handle seeing this type of content that is nowhere else in the game, please add some sort of toggle or option to allow me not to have a mental breakdown while playing this game." And it's possible to understand and respect that, even if you aren't bothered by these mobs. You don't have to brag about how cool and experienced you are with similar media. It's possible to understand and respect other people that are bothered by something, even if you personally aren't.

First of all: You don't have to play the game. If it's really that anxiety inducing, maybe you shouldn't. And I'm not saying you're a baby or a wimp if you don't, I've had to do that for other media. Maybe it just isn't the thing for you.

Second of all: 

940880518_PengullsNone.PNG.ec87dbd86aa4a4b019e1147ae4bdf045.PNG

1759037323_HoundsNone.PNG.0aa202b5ca1011bfdc4f58e688418329.PNG

I get you're turning off some of the aspects of the game you might not have a problem with, but if it's as severe for you as you say it is, then you should be more than happy to make the compromise.

Consuming a work of media (book, comic, movie, tv show, video game, etc.) means you are putting yourself at risk of seeing something you might not like, or may make you uncomfortable. That is a very transparent risk you take, whether you have a mental illness, phobia, or even if you just dislike it. You take the good with the bad, and if you cannot take the bad, don't take the good. It's ultimately up to you alone, not the creators.

14 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

People who don't like horror hounds and moonrock pengulls aren't saying "they scare me, never add anything like this again" they're saying "my mind literally cannot handle seeing this type of content that is nowhere else in the game, please add some sort of toggle or option to allow me not to have a mental breakdown while playing this game."

It's an optional area. There are a couple options.

1) Don't go there. Ruin your ability to get moon stuffs.
2) Decide the game is worth it anyway and deal with it.
3) Play on PC and mod their appearance.

I'm not coming into this with no personal issue. You know the insanity music? That gives me a painful, real life headache. I can't handle it. The sounds it makes actually effect me in a physically negative way. Its not that I dislike the sound. It just hits some weird notes that cause a reaction in my head. But you know what? It, too, is optional. A couple options. Insanity is a part of the game anywhere and can only be avoided with constant care on the effected person's part:

1) Turn off music. All music. Including all the good, not-headache music.Ruin the ability to enjoy the game's great soundtrack everywhere.
2) Be careful to never ever go insane. Abandon everything when I do.
3) Decide that the game is worth the real life pain and deal with it
4) Play on PC and mod it out.

This is where mods SHINE. Don't force Klei to dumb-down their vision to fit people's personal issues. They'd have to remove spiders (and Webber) from the game for that. Spiders bad, right? Can't go triggering that arachnophobia!

I dont know why people are expeting a softer more child friendly experience from Don't Starve.

Sounds like a problem for the younger more casual audience, and not the people who have been with the franchise for awhile now.

I just hope designs like these havent been cut from future development just because some people decided that dont starve shouldnt have more gruesome or frightening imagery. 

Wish I had the gif of Maxwell on hand, where he collapses and screams in agony as his body disintegrates into dust, reducing him to nothing but a skeleton, before his skeleton crumbles away into dust as well. Might give some of the people complaining a good scare.

50 minutes ago, Hornete said:

thanks for the absolutely nessacary uncompromising mode plug in this discussion, you have helped us cure all phobias known to mankind.

You know most people would have scrolled by and not known what Axe was talking about, OR, some people will stop and understand the joke.

You specifically went out of your way to complain about something that doesnt hurt anyone, and isnt even a "plug", YOU understand it, but why point it out? Why are you starting to hate on anything related to us? I get that you left the team because you werent happy with the direction and some of the people in our community, but why did you leave without talking about it, only to harbor some strange grudge for no good reason?

I'm sincerely not liking how many of these responses are being really rude to other players' comfort levels. As someone who loves the horror hound and pengull designs, I understand that there are other people who are really disturbed by the designs, since this is the first time Klei has designed mobs that upped the body horror level (horror pengull's visible viscera for eg). Keep in mind that this is during the initial RoT beta, where Klei is slowly introducing more base game content, and I have seen some players' responses on a thread who wished that there is a filter or mod for these mobs as it caused them to be unable to explore more of the new content.

It's disappointing at how some responses in that thread and even now are super condescending towards these players, as if they need to "grow up" or "get over" the mobs' distressing designs ingame that caused them to steer clear of Lunar Isle's content. All they ask for is a filter or even a mod to change their designs for them to continue exploring the new content. Telling these players to stay away from new content or grow up is frankly rude and defeats the purpose of wanting more players to play the game whichever they like.

I'm just typing this to tell all of you to be considerate towards other players, because most of the responses in this thread so far are being rude to them. You can like the horror hound and pengull designs and talk about them, without being rude to other players who are uncomfortable with the designs. So stay on topic and be considerate to others.

5 minutes ago, MilesUpshore said:

It's disappointing at how some responses in that thread and even now are super condescending towards these players, as if they need to "grow up" or "get over" the mobs' distressing designs ingame that caused them to steer clear of Lunar Isle's content. All they ask for is a filter or even a mod to change their designs for them to continue exploring the new content. Telling these players to stay away from new content or grow up is frankly rude and defeats the purpose of wanting more players to play the game whichever they like.

Both sides are being rude. The people who like the content are calling them babies. The other side is saying they don't want mods or settings you can change, they want the game changed for their vocal minority. If it was, they wouldn't have raised the complaints in the first place, because those already exist.

3 minutes ago, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

Both sides are being rude. The people who like the content are calling them babies. The other side is saying they don't want mods or settings you can change, they want the game changed for their vocal minority. If it was, they wouldn't have raised the complaints in the first place, because those already exist.

Its upsetting that people have the wrong kinda expectations for the game, and in an effort to appeal to everyone, its possible that future gruesome designs could have been scrapped.

16 minutes ago, MilesUpshore said:

I'm sincerely not liking how many of these responses are being really rude to other players' comfort levels. As someone who loves the horror hound and pengull designs, I understand that there are other people who are really disturbed by the designs, since this is the first time Klei has designed mobs that upped the body horror level (horror pengull's visible viscera for eg). Keep in mind that this is during the initial RoT beta, where Klei is slowly introducing more base game content, and I have seen some players'' responses on a thread who wished that there is a filter or mod for these mobs as it caused them to be unable to explore more of the new content.

I'm just typing this to tell all of you to be considerate towards other players, because most of the responses in this thread so far are being rude to them. You can like the horror hound and pengull designs and talk about them, without being rude to other players who are uncomfortable with the designs. So stay on topic and be considerate to others.

It rather sounds like your priority is to not hurt people's feelings at any cost, over any other concern.

I believe the honest hard truth is always preferable over anything else. The world is not a happy friendly place so the sooner you are exposed to troubling topics, the better you can handle them in adult life.

Just now, ExtollerOfTrolls said:

That's...not really what the other side is saying. I do remember 1 player in that thread who did say they want the designs to be altered, but most players who are disturbed by the designs are asking for a mod or a filter implemented for the mobs' designs. As for this mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1745307125&searchtext=horror+hound), I remember seeing many comments (before deleted) who are being rude towards them, so shrug.

2 minutes ago, Well-met said:

It rather sounds like your priority is to not hurt people's feelings at any cost, over any other concern.

I believe the honest hard truth is always preferable over anything else. The world is not a happy friendly place so the sooner you are exposed to troubling topics, the better you can handle them in adult life.

That really has nothing to do with the current topic on hand, like new mob designs with the body horror factor scaled up that disturbs some players =/= real world troubling topics or whatsoever. Also, your mindset is not helpful towards the whole player base in general, and once again this is an official games forum, so no insults or rude behavior towards other players in this thread about the mob designs, peace out.

3 minutes ago, MilesUpshore said:

That's...not really what the other side is saying. I do remember 1 player in that thread who did say they want the designs to be altered, but most players who are disturbed by the designs are asking for a mod or a filter implemented for the mobs' designs. As for this mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1745307125&searchtext=horror+hound), I remember seeing many comments (before deleted) who are being rude towards them, so shrug.

That really has nothing to do with the current topic on hand, like new mob designs with the body horror factor scaled up that disturbs some players =/= real world troubling topics or whatsoever. Also, your mindset is not helpful towards the whole player base in general, and once again this is an official games forum, so no insults or rude behavior towards other players in this thread about the mob designs, peace out.

I think your stance is a little too agressive to be taken seriously. I'm sorry it really just feels like you're angry at people being very straight forward toward others. Your main argument is already headed toward forums rules and reports.

I thought we could have a nice debate here.

39 minutes ago, MilesUpshore said:

I think part of the problem here is that people who can't handle their appearance want them changed to something more mundane or cutesy, which is why I brought up spiders. Arachnophobia is one of the most well-known phobias out there, and spiders in DS are everywhere. And yet there isn't outcry for them to be, well, not spiders.

The horror designs appear to be part of the 'everything you know is inverted' kind of thing going on with the Moon island, and it would be disappointing if they were normalized because some people don't like them fitting that.

Guys.. the TL:DR of everything I’ve been trying to say in this thread in the least rude way possible: You can turn OFF Penguins and Hounds (maybe that effects their zombified versions I dunno I haven’t tried it) But what you can NOT turn off are the SKINS and BELONGINGS other players choose to use..

There really is no right or wrong way to go from here: Because the players wanting a filter to “Pretty-ify” Gruesome mobs to them have every right to ask for that feature, but at the exact same time: You can’t censor the skins and belongings other players use.

So where do we go from here?

What a crazy thread.. yeah they're creepy but the reactions by some are extreme for some pretty tame 2D graphics. If they are genuinely disturbing to some to the degree some are claiming then perhaps this game (and the vast majority of games cause they are nothing compared to most game enemies) is not for you. There is already spiders of many variety even the super ugly spider queen (also cave spitter sounds are creepy AF), the nightmare chess pieces, deerclops, broken clockworks, shadow monkeys (more fear inducing than most bosses), FW and others who are all creepy in their own right. Even the very title of the game is super grim !!! Don't Starve! 

Actually.. I wish I knew someone who could draw really well that can bring some of the horrorifying skin designs inside my imagination to life:  even the Firepit can become a horrifying looking thing if the base was a mans mouth with a long twisted snake like tongue sticking out, screaming out in torture while the flames come from his gaping mouth area simulating burning and suffering, A skin which by the way- HAS existed before and if I recall correctly from one of the many odd tv shows I watched as a kid like Mighty Max or Courage the Cowardly Dog.. or something.

(Kudos to anyone who actually remembers Mighty Max by the way..)

But my point is that if Klei adds some seriously disturbing skin/belongings..

(And I sincerely hope they will at some point since this game is rated 13+ and is pretty dang Tame compared to some actual E Rated Games...)

how does this effect the people who claim their existence makes them physically uncomfortable??

How do you censor other players skins and belongings? Unless Klei added some incredibly complicated feature where you would see my disturbing screaming mouth Firepit as the unskinned basic version..

But is it worth the time or development costs to add that kind of filter to other players skin/belonging choices?

I'm not sure what's so hard for people to understand here.

People with an aversion to disturbing visual content simply want a toggle they can use in the settings to allow them to continue playing without being repulsed.

In the best case scenario you won't be effected at all. Enough with this "grow up" or "adult" excuse. It's hella rude to people with substantial aversions. The most "adult" thing you can realize as a human being is that your experience isn't universalized. You're not even being asked to compromise (by most people). It's just an accesibility option. If it's not for you, it doesn't affect you.

16 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I'm not sure what's so hard for people to understand here.

People with an aversion to disturbing visual content simply want a toggle they can use in the settings to allow them to continue playing without being repulsed.

In the best case scenario you won't be effected at all. Enough with this "grow up" or "adult" excuse. It's hella rude to people with substantial aversions. The most "adult" thing you can realize as a human being is that your experience isn't universalized. You're not even being asked to compromise (by most people). It's just an accesibility option. If it's not for you, it doesn't affect you.

But there is no need for implementing something like that,because it exists already.Either you can avoid Lunar Island altogether,or you can avoid going there in winter and when hound waves take place,or just turn off hound waves and pengulls.

9 minutes ago, WebberMain said:

But there is no need for implementing something like that,because it exists already.Either you can avoid Lunar Island altogether,or you can avoid going there in winter and when hound waves take place,or just turn off hound waves and pengulls.

That's completely different, though - that's asking players to completely miss out on content, not on an optional filter. That's like if someone is in a wheelchair and one were to just shrug and say that they could just not go to buildings that have stairs instead of simply providing a ramp or other accessible means of travel.

20 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Okay see I get where your coming from, but when Plants Vs Zombies and Minecraft are E-Rated games with more disturbing content then DST a 13+ Rated game- Something is clearly off.. and off bad.

This visual filter thing your asking for- have you fully thought it through? Sure maybe you can change the look of a particular mob in the game, but how will this filter know what skins/belongings other players are using to filter? 

Last Years Valentines Day skin for the TellTale Heart was a dismembered zombified hand simulating pulling its own heart out of its chest to give to you in an act of love- This game... clearly isn’t intended for extremely young children to be playing.

Does your “Horror Filter” you are suggesting also then have to be updated with each new skin sets release to filter out skins and belongings that may be seen as disturbing too?

1 minute ago, megalobun said:

That's completely different, though - that's asking players to completely miss out on content, not on an optional filter. That's like if someone is in a wheelchair and one were to just shrug and say that they could just not go to buildings that have stairs instead of simply providing a ramp or other accessible means of travel.

you are comparing something completely different,that´s like crewnecks vs turtlenecks.Being grossed out by something is no disability.I´m just saying that there are ways to overcome it without giving devs more work.To me,this game was created to be a scary unforgiving survival game,and i think it does really great job,and i really see no reasons why such filter should be added when there is no need to

1 minute ago, megalobun said:

That is not even a remotely similar thing.

What exactly is the issue here? You don't want to miss out on content, okay. But if said content is triggering/uncomfortable/et cetera and you KNOW THIS...then why do you want that particular content? What, exactly, do you miss out on by not going to the lunar island during a hound wave/in winter?

Pick one. You either can handle it, or you can't. And if you can't then why do you want to see it so badly? I don't get it.

Archived