In defense of the macabre creature designs from the "Return of Them" series of updates.

1 minute ago, Sunset Skye said:

Again, the tags are user-defined. As in, users define these tags, not Klei. You two are essentially saying that DST is a horror game because people say it is, rather than anything to do with the actual genre of the game that Klei has been making and marketing this whole time.

But if people are saying it is should at least give you pause and wonder if there is more to it. You need to do your research, especially if there are things that bother you. I bought "What Remains of Edith Finch" and I can't play it because I can't stand the idea of being alone in a giant house. It skeeves me out too bad. But I should have watched some LPs of it.

Now, I get you are saying that the updates change the game, and the people with phobias couldn't have expected this, and are not able to experience it. That's fair and true.

However, this is a case where they don't get less, everyone else gets more. Something not being given to you is not the same as it being taken away from you.

1 minute ago, Lbphero said:

you guys are again looking in the user defined tags... user defined tags could mean anything

steam_w8OiuKYYdx.png.ee378976d8f81526afdf907ed24918f3.png

While this is clearly a joke, there are times when a game with a "cute" front is a horror, so the tags normally are quite useful.

7 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Again, the tags are user-defined. As in, users define these tags, not Klei. You two are essentially saying that DST is a horror game because people say it is, rather than anything to do with the actual genre of the game that Klei has been making and marketing this whole time.

Like with opened comment sections and open free market, the sum/total gets auto-regulated and you won't see massive trolling to stick into a final option in general. Point remains, they are valid.

9 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

you guys are again looking in the user defined tags... user defined tags could mean anything

steam_w8OiuKYYdx.png.ee378976d8f81526afdf907ed24918f3.png

Don't try to fabricate results that sustain your point of view:

garfield-tags.thumb.png.e3117647f9f8bc7d9d52004e18f8a854.png

There's no "Psychological Horror" or "Anime".

Hence, once more, tags are a valid informative option regarding Steam games in general.

Just now, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Don't try to fabricate results that sustain your point of view:

garfield-tags.thumb.png.e3117647f9f8bc7d9d52004e18f8a854.png

There's no "Psychological Horror" or "Anime".

Hence, once more, tags are a valid informative option regarding Steam games in general.

I don't think you understand the point I was trying to make...Anyone can put tags on anything....seeing "anime" on garfield kart is potentially just as valid as "platformer" or "psychological horror" on don't starve or "combat racing" on subnautica

I don't think you understand the point I was trying to make...Anyone can put tags on anything....seeing "anime" on garfield kart is potentially just as valid as "platformer" or "psychological horror" on don't starve or "combat racing" on subnautica

Yes, but they don't add in the end. There needs to be a massive amount of people (how massive I don't know; I could inquire a bit but frankly I don't see a point for only some random post by now; let's say a big number of same-tag to cling and call it a day) tagging a certain game with a combination of words to stick as final tag. Else points remain: final result, as a general sum, is a good indicator. And let's be real here: is obvious DS/T has horror elements all over the place, explicit and implicit.

1 minute ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Yes, but they don't add in the end. There needs to be a massive amount of people (how massive I don't know; I could inquire a bit but frankly I don't see a point for only some random post by now; let's say a big number of same tag to stick and call it a day) tagging a certain game with a combination of words to stick as final tag. Else points remain: final result, as a general sum, is a good indicator. And let's be real here: is obvious DS/T has horror elements all over the place, explicit and implicit.

there is absolutely a chance that people could all just get together and spam the same tag on a game and get steam to put it on there, and as a result there is a chance that a tag like "horror" on don't starve could be applied falsely, especially since it doesn't actually appear on the first few tags. There is little arguing this, this is something that can and will happen, i heavily doubt people consider garfield kart an actual cult classic.

As for the horror elements, i ask where else in the game do you find things on the same level as horror hounds/pengulls

In Klei’s 13+ rated game? Not very often-

but in games that aren’t made by Klei and still carry an E for Everyone rating? EVERYWHERE.

All you need to do is load up Minecraft, turn on creative mode.. and then type in the search bar for something called /SpawnEggs

Pull all those up and then start throwing them on the ground... you might be surprised.

2 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

there is absolutely a chance that people could all just get together and spam the same tag on a game and get steam to put it on there, and as a result there is a chance that a tag like "horror" on don't starve could be applied falsely, especially since it doesn't actually appear on the first few tags. There is little arguing this, this is something that can and will happen, i heavily doubt people consider garfield kart an actual cult classic.

As for the horror elements, i ask where else in the game do you find things on the same level as horror hounds/pengulls

In the realm of possibilities, indeed there's a small percentage that scenario could happen: to totally mismatch a tag on some game by "tagging brigade". And then there's only the need for some user to report it to developer to get corrected (if result of blatant trolling). Simple open free market regulation, as previously stated.

Regarding Horror Hounds and Moonrock Pengulls, is a subjective assessment. Indeed, as body-horror goes, represents a new precedent. Toys on the "Alien" and "The Thing" front. But as horror goes, I personally find Spider Queens more disturbing (because mild aversion to spiders). Relativity-relativity. Still all of it is cartoony without blood. And both mobs you mentioned in fact have been changed by KLei after initial complaining from the vocal minority. Now they are more Moon-rocky themed. And if I may toss my proverbial hat in the design ring, perhaps a more moon-glassy approach would be even better, aka having a tad bit greenish blue in their design, yet keeping the white-gray background. At least now, because the meaty aspect from initial "Turn of Tides" Art Direction is out the window. I wish devs would present in future all concepts before ToT came, would be quite interesting to see the brainstorming that went for "Return of Them" core concepts.

30 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

But then what about people that actually want more brutal stuff, like this mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=377292520

But I mean, it could be a whole community of trolls that purposely want to make the game more horrific.

Just now, KeshS said:

But then what about people that actually want more brutal stuff, like this mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=377292520

i dont understand your point, this content is not in the game with the exception of the actual long pig item which you can only see by spawning in

heck, the reason cannibalism isnt in the game rn is because klei saw it as too far

Just now, Lbphero said:

heck, the reason cannibalism isnt in the game rn is because klei saw it as too far

Using your own words, Klei decided that the lunar pengull is not too far since why it is implemented in the base game for over a year.

3 minutes ago, KeshS said:

Using your own words, Klei decided that the lunar pengull is not too far since why it is implemented in the base game for over a year.

that is why we are having this discussion my friend, i think the things should stay in the game but with some kind of filter for the people who would rather not look at it

at the end is klei who will decide what they want for their game

wasting resources for a low minority of people with a phobia that the biggest issue will be having ansiety or fill the game with horror creatures like they have be doing since the insanity update to call for more players

its nothing against people with that problem, nobody wish that but at the end this game is a bussiness and there is more people that will love that desings that the people with serious problems with some desings

maybe they decide that because of fear and said that but they already bring to the game worse things

Yeesh, This thread is a mess everybody.... 

We didn't push it further because it wouldn't really fit with the tone of the game. While Don't Starve has some horror elements, it's pretty light hearted and in the end just decided not to push too far in another direction.

Archived