[Poll] On Combat Style Efficiency

FISSION MAILED! WE'LL GET THEM TEXT NIME  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which combat strategy do you think is most efficient?

• Melee (Tanking)
    • Melee (Kiting)
    • Ranged
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)

I see this one as a no brainer. No ranged option is viable enough to be compared to melee. Even as Walter I still rock the hambat or dark sword.
On paper kiting and tanking yield the same DPS and in practice it is about the same. Only difference is you don't take damage in one of the options.

For me personally (and most people I would assume), it definitely has to be melee kiting.

Kiting, as it reduces the need to grind for large amounts of healing and armor. Also I feel it takes alot more skill to kite as opposed to just tanking.

Recently I've been trying to solo kill dragonfly as wigfrid on pubs, well... fast anyway, going for a goal of day 5. If I want Day 5 I know I need alot of luck, but I also need to not spend too much time grinding for items, I need to get the bare neccessities to complete the fight, such as walls, the pan flute, a ham bat and a battle helm or two.

But due to such little in terms of items, of course tanking is a no go(yes even as wigfrid), the big option here is to of course kite her.

Wigfrid especially benefits from kiting, as if you're good enough at kiting then theres no need to waste time getting any healing items, so long as you can kite, you can always recover from your screw ups.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Well let me put it this way.. I tried to take Wigfrid into glorious Battle Against a raging Deerclops using just her Battle Helm, Battle Spear and a Log suit and without kiting him stand underneath him repeatedly holding in the Attack button... and I Failed miserably on multiple occasions.

I do not AT ALL see where people compare Wigfrids fighting skills to Wolfgang’s, because had that been Wolfgang all I’d need to have done is eat foods, become mighty.. kill in a few hits.

Standing under Deerclops with a Battle Spear is a terrible thing to attempt- and so I will continue to prefer kiting it into something else that does most the damage for me.

Wigfrids new Songs (the few I’ve been able to craft..) which would mostly just be Weaponized Warble.. didn’t help either- I still went insane and I still died, or maybe I didn’t go insane but still died anyway- I tried multiple times to fight him using the above combo of tools and 

The TL:DR- It’s just easier to let Treeguards or Swamp tentacles deal with him.

and I know some machiost is going to comment on this post and say “bwhahaha you suck noob get gud.”

But I do not care, I did not buy the game to flex my expert solo boss killing skills, I bought it to explore randomly generated worlds full of hostile things that hate me and want me to die. 

Exactly what the product description read that lead me into buying it- Which is why I really wish there was less focus on boss fights and more focus on new biomes, mobs, gameplay features, and other stuff to see, explore, & do.

It’s no one's business how I play my game- as long as the way I’m playing it isn’t interfering with the way you play yours, you shouldn’t care..

And when I make ideas and suggestions for this game I consider all the newbie or casual players who aren’t going to read Wikipages to discover Oh I need “X item” to deal with “Y Problem” 

Because believe it or not, some people are going to still try my method of Helm, Battle Spear, Log Suit okay now I’ll kill Him!

And... Maybe some of them will, (Who am I to say they won’t?) But I just came here to say that when I tried it- I failed Miserably. 

If darts weren't so ungodly expensive I'd use ranged for all the bosses I already killed normally in the past. It sure is a lot less fun, but the damage the darts make vs even less chance for enemy to hit you makes for an obvious choice. I remember killing a Herald in Hamlet in few seconds just by spamming 20 darts. 

7 minutes ago, BezKa said:

If darts weren't so ungodly expensive I'd use ranged for all the bosses I already killed normally in the past. It sure is a lot less fun, but the damage the darts make vs even less chance for enemy to hit you makes for an obvious choice. I remember killing a Herald in Hamlet in few seconds just by spamming 20 darts. 

For that is expensive xD

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I do not AT ALL see where people compare Wigfrids fighting skills to Wolfgang’s, because had that been Wolfgang all I’d need to have done is eat foods, become mighty.. kill in a few hits.
and I know some machiost is going to comment on this post and say “bwhahaha you suck noob get gud.”

But I do not care, I did not buy the game to flex my expert solo boss killing skills, I bought it to explore randomly generated worlds full of hostile things that hate me and want me to die.

That's a valid point of view but don't say that something is hard/uncomparable to another thing when you just failed to use it properly while others have looked-deeply into the different perks.

Wigfrid is comparable to Wolfgang with both having fighting skills, but the two have different perks ( wolfgang needing constant filler-food to use his form while wigfrid is perfect tank-esque character, while wolfgang can kite due to his extra speed)

Depends of what you prefer

Longer fights or longer material gather.

Imo kiting>tanking except for situations that you might want to finish quick an enemy/ies

Learning to kite makes the game much less grindy because of no needing healings and armors (and if you have thulecite gear you can forget to farm since it last so long)

Edit. Also, tanking has the drawback of needing to make calcs of what you will need or you will die. Meanwhile, if you kite, you will need an amount of gear based on you skill making it safer and less expensive.

I depends who you are playing. Survivors that have a harder time keeping themselves in one piece, like Maxwell and Wes, always must kite because of their low max health. Other characters do better when tanking. Wolfgang has a high max health and kills things quickly, so it would be more efficient just to take the hits and save time than kite. The same can be said with WX78. As Wortox I always find myself tanking because I can easily heal myself and others, and I don't really need to worry running out of juicy souls because they are so easy to get and if you finish the mob off, you will be rewarded with one or many souls to heal yourself with.

1 hour ago, thegreatJash said:

I depends who you are playing. Survivors that have a harder time keeping themselves in one piece, like Maxwell and Wes, always must kite because of their low max health. Other characters do better when tanking. Wolfgang has a high max health and kills things quickly, so it would be more efficient just to take the hits and save time than kite. The same can be said with WX78. As Wortox I always find myself tanking because I can easily heal myself and others, and I don't really need to worry running out of juicy souls because they are so easy to get and if you finish the mob off, you will be rewarded with one or many souls to heal yourself with.

wortox can get almost the damage of a kitting fight via jumps with some practise. Timing to jump makes the fights so fun xD

There is really no comparison:

• Kiting reduces the amount of resources you need to gather considerably and it doesn't take away that much extra time to kill most mobs.
  • Tanking is way faster to kill some bosses, but you take more damage (so you need to heal), and you have to make more armor (take more time gathering resources).
  • Ranged combat is pretty much non-existent in DST. We only have:
    • Blow darts, that can only be farmed in winter (walrus and snow birds).
    • Electric darts, that can only be farmed with caves (I mean, you could kill canaries, with that 5% chance to drop a feather you might get enough to kill a hound at the end of an in-game year).
    • Boomerang, which requires timing, otherwise it hits you, losing one use from it and dealing damage to yourself.
    • Walter's slingshot, which is the most reliable of all ranged weapons but is a bit too slow to use solo (can still be used though); also, only Walter can use it.
    • BONUS: technically you can include ice staff, fire staff, fire darts and sleep darts; but none of them do damage directly.

17 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

On paper kiting and tanking yield the same DPS and in practice it is about the same.

Kiting has lower dps than tanking because you have to take time running back and forth. For example in dearclop fight kiting will often results in insanity aura takes a toll on your sanity, making you insane even during fight, while tanking next to campfire usually costs much less sanity. 

Whether tanking or kiting is more efficient depends on the specific fight and character. For example, Wendy can't kite most enemy efficiently because her sister Abigail refuses to kite, while with tanking Wendy and Abigail can have amazing dps. Another example will be shadow rooks and bishops, which is invulnerable during their attack animation, therefore must be kited. 

1 hour ago, I luv Wendy said:

Kiting has lower dps than tanking because you have to take time running back and forth. For example in dearclop fight kiting will often results in insanity aura takes a toll on your sanity, making you insane even during fight, while tanking next to campfire usually costs much less sanity. 

Whether tanking or kiting is more efficient depends on the specific fight and character. For example, Wendy can't kite most enemy efficiently because her sister Abigail refuses to kite, while with tanking Wendy and Abigail can have amazing dps. Another example will be shadow rooks and bishops, which is invulnerable during their attack animation, therefore must be kited. 

Very fair. Admittedly I main Maxwell and Warly so both need to avoid taking unnecessary damage for their own reasons. If I do have to tank an enemy I need to prepare like crazy

I'm not sure why "tanking" would be considered a viable playstyle. Unless you're the kind of guy to carry 10 log armors on you at all times, it's not really a jack-of-all-trades. Either way you're gonna get stunlocked to death by hordes.

tanking is more of a strat for a single specific enemy.

Darts are too expensive and time-consuming to also be your everyday method of fight. And obviously only Walter has access to the only true ranged alternative in the game.

On 9/28/2020 at 1:41 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Well let me put it this way.. I tried to take Wigfrid into glorious Battle Against a raging Deerclops using just her Battle Helm, Battle Spear and a Log suit and without kiting him stand underneath him repeatedly holding in the Attack button... and I Failed miserably on multiple occasions.

Standing under Deerclops with a Battle Spear is a terrible thing to attempt- and so I will continue to prefer kiting it into something else that does most the damage for me.

Wigfrids new Songs (the few I’ve been able to craft..) which would mostly just be Weaponized Warble.. didn’t help either- I still went insane and I still died, or maybe I didn’t go insane but still died anyway- I tried multiple times to fight him using the above combo of tools and 

The TL:DR- It’s just easier to let Treeguards or Swamp tentacles deal with him.

Exactly what the product description read that lead me into buying it- Which is why I really wish there was less focus on boss fights and more focus on new biomes, mobs, gameplay features, and other stuff to see, explore, & do.

It’s no one's business how I play my game- as long as the way I’m playing it isn’t interfering with the way you play yours, you shouldn’t care..

And when I make ideas and suggestions for this game I consider all the newbie or casual players who aren’t going to read Wikipages to discover Oh I need “X item” to deal with “Y Problem” 

Because believe it or not, some people are going to still try my method of Helm, Battle Spear, Log Suit okay now I’ll kill Him!

And... Maybe some of them will, (Who am I to say they won’t?) But I just came here to say that when I tried it- I failed Miserably. 

I genuinely don’t understand the purpose of this post.  The poll is “which strategy is the most efficient” which is objectively kiting overall (and didn’t need to be a poll in the first place).  

It isn’t “which is the most efficient strategy you are capable of using” and your inability to tank deerclops with Wigfrid is irrelevant to the discussion as there are plenty of videos of people tanking and kiting clops to prove it can be done.

Btw, why are you using a battle spear as Wigfrid against clops anyway?  Hambats are easy to craft by that point in the game and will do substantially more damage.

If it’s no one’s business how you play the game... maybe stop explaining to us how you struggle with basic challenges every week while making suggestions involving mechanics you don’t appear to understand?

Archived