Will you play Don't Starve: New Home when it comes out?

I forgot this was still coming out to be honest.. but, I’m willing to give any game a chance once.

but if it starts to feel like pay to win, or too many ads or something I’ll drop it in a heartbeat.. there’s nothing that annoys me more then the Free to Play microtransaction model of gaming...

I would rather just pay like 10$ for a full and complete app without the pay walls and endless ads.

49 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

Probably not. The gameplay doesn't look like the kind of thing that interests me and it won't have any canonical lore that I can't get in the main series, so I don't really have a reason to pick it up.

I'm pretty sure this game is blatantly non-canon anyway, I recall seeing talk about it being an alternate timeline where Charlie never freed Wilson from the throne.

14 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

What? I'M gravely uninformed about this somehow. Can someone make a quick recap on what is Don't Starve New Home, who is tancent and why is tancent responsible for the thriving of DST?

(This might not be 100% accurate but this is what I understood out of the whole thing)

Dst is popular in china

Chinese company asks klei: dst is popular in china. Can we make a game about dst?

Klei says sure.

Chinese company makes game that isn't related to dst gameplay wise or lore wise.

2 minutes ago, PrezPara said:

(This might not be 100% accurate but this is what I understood out of the whole thing)

Dst is popular in china

Chinese company asks klei: dst is popular in china. Can we make a game about dst?

Klei says sure.

Chinese company makes game that isn't related to dst gameplay wise or lore wise.

most of that is correct but no this is why people arent really happy with new home  

klei gave their ip to tencent (dont know why myself i would guess they offered klei money)

tencent is a bad company who doesnt treat their workers right and really only care about money 

theres also word that they are owned by (partly)by the chinese goverment who are really bad 

personally ill try new home but i highly doubt its gonna be a good game (its a mobile game i dont expect much from it)ill most probably play it once and thats it 

(also some of what i said might be incorrect so yeah have a good day)

26 minutes ago, PrezPara said:

Dst is popular in china

Klei says sure.

You forget the part where people complain about bad companies abusing power meanwhile posting with a phone made with minerals mined by slaves

I can careless who made it.. if it’s a good product and I find it enjoyable then guess what? I’m going to STILL Enjoy it.

Im pretty sure I saw the Tencent name on a movie I watched recently (an older movie but a movie nonetheless) I believe that movie was the remake of King Kong, or maybe it was GodZilla?? I don’t know- my point is I didn’t turn the movie off the moment I saw the logo pop up on screen.

I don’t like a lot of the games that Epic or EA put out.. but that doesn’t mean that I’m going to boycott every single thing with their logo on it- Because some of it may actually be good.

And I highly encourage you guys to give it a shot (at least once) Klei Okay’d the use of their licensed characters and content for these guys to use, so Klei had to have seen at least “some” Potential, but... regardless since this game is NOT related to DST, and it has nothing to do with Klei outside of the okayed use of their licensed contents for DS: NewHome..

Then doesn’t this entire thread need to be moved to Off-Topic?

10 hours ago, Owlrus said:

might even start a discord group for the don't starve community as well

There's already an official Discord group and a topic in the main DS Discord. 

11 minutes ago, Chris1448 said:

...wasn't it supposed to enter beta like months ago?

Yeah. Beta was supposed to launch a little over two months ago. Apparently Newhome devs wants to do a few more things before having people play it. No updates as of yet. Beta is only for US/Canada players. 

6 hours ago, PrezPara said:

We haven't seen much gameplay yet so we really don't know what we'll be doing at all or how. 

7 hours ago, Karmattack said:

an alternate timeline where Charlie never freed Wilson from the throne.

It seems to take place while Wilson is still on the Throne, before he was released. That length of time is never specified so it doesn't necessarily contradict anything in the lore. 

I'll probably play at least to check it out and I think there's a lot more people that will too that say they won't. 

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

You forget the part where people complain about bad companies abusing power meanwhile posting with a phone made with minerals mined by slaves

I'm sorry, but this is a bad take. 

Regardless if what people say about Tencent is true or not, it doesn't change the fact that you can still be mad about two things at once. Sure, there are companies that do really gross stuff that usually get ignored by the majority, but that doesn't mean what they do is justified in any way. People can still call out companies for doing terrible things regardless if they bought their products or not. 

I don't understand how someone can see literal abuse and their first reaction is "this isn't bad because other companies do it." Like, i guess phone person is a hypocrite in that scenario that you pointed out - if you really want to use that argument - but it still doesn't chance the fact that Tencent is an god awful company. 

Nope. This "game" will probably be nothing but a chinese data-hauling device. Wish some of the concepts presented there would make it to offical ds/t, but oh well, we can't have them all can we?

44 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

stop bashing said company (rather or not said bashing is warranted or not..) 

If you even TRIED giving proper research or insight as to why this, oh, so poor and innocent company is being bashed for maybe then you would have a single idea how companies like that thrive behind your back. Why can't you provide something with ground to stand on and sensible arguements to defend your so called claims? Don't expect people to agree with you when you have barely anything worthwhile to offer.

Archived