Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

as willow you can stand "inside" of a burning tree to avoid getting damaged by most mobs since they will flee like chickens without head when get close to the burning tree, useful when fear being overwhelmed by hound waves, spiders, etc

edit: wrong topic lel

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

as willow you can stand "inside" of a burning tree to avoid getting damaged by most mobs since they will flee like chickens without head when get close to the burning tree, useful when fear being overwhelmed by hound waves, spiders, etc

You can also use this tactic in combination with holding Bernie to survive Winters with minimal resources needed. (Just take extreme caution not to burn down entire forests or other non-renewable resources)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

edit: wrong topic lel

Its ok grandma, I'll take to the right spot.

Polish_20211025_133321189.thumb.jpg.5f57a079d372b630cf30c984feb45a28.jpg

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 3
  • Haha 9

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

That’s sad.

Can anyone tell me where this weird green lamp is from? And if I can get it as a Lantern skin with next months Hallowed Nights Part 2: The Terraria update?

ACE8A8FD-4E44-4AEC-B254-7234D256282B.png

It's from the Hallowed Forge mod. It's custom made, not by Klei.

• Like 1

What happened to horror hounds and glass pengulls stuff? Like, why there aren't any other mobs with mechanic like that? Would be cool to have more moon infected mobs with similar design ( I don't count birds from moon storm cause they look too cartoony) 

• Like 6
  • Big Ups 3

25 minutes ago, FourthLess said:

What happened to horror hounds and glass pengulls stuff? Like, why there aren't any other mobs with mechanic like that? Would be cool to have more moon infected mobs with similar design ( I don't count birds from moon storm cause they look too cartoony) 

Supposedly it's because Klei decided it was "too scary" and promised never to do anything like that ever again. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

3 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

Supposedly it's because Klei decided it was "too scary" and promised never to do anything like that ever again. 

Honestly, I'm so sad the game keeps moving away form a little darker tone it had. The new lunar mobs were a shine of hope for me:wilson_cry:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FourthLess said:

Honestly, I'm so sad the game keeps moving away form a little darker tone it had. The new lunar mobs were a shine of hope for me:wilson_cry:

There was a post from one of the developers some days ago that said many of their current artists and designers also worked on "My Little Pony", which honestly itself answers a lot of questions we had about why the horror elements were disappearing. 

• Haha 2
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 2

19 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

As far as I know, the following is the only official statement on the subject of horror mobs, by @JoeW in response to a thread that had gotten heated and needed to be locked:

Yeesh, This thread is a mess everybody.... 

We didn't push it further because it wouldn't really fit with the tone of the game. While Don't Starve has some horror elements, it's pretty light hearted and in the end just decided not to push too far in another direction.

I think that's fair, to be honest. As much as I like both the designs and the sense of progression and increasing stakes they provide, moving from psychological horror to body horror is... a risky move. Go even a smidge too far and you'll end up where Stranger Things season 3 ended up, which I'm pretty sure nobody wants.

Edited by QuQuasar
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, QuQuasar said:

As far as I know, the following is the only official statement on the subject of horror mobs, by @JoeW in response to a thread that had gotten heated and needed to be locked:

I think that's fair, to be honest. As much as I like both the designs and the sense of progression they provide, moving from psychological horror to body horror is... risky. Go even a smidge too far and you'll end up where Stranger Things season 3 ended up, which I'm pretty sure nobody wants.

Horror is horror and I see no distinction. 
The point of Horror is to be Horrified. If it's not doing that, it has failed. 
I don't understand the idea of adding scary elements to something only to immediately back out and say "No, we're done". 

Also I have never seen a single episode of "Stranger Things". 

• Like 2

My bad. The short version is that the first two seasons of Stranger Things provided an extremely suspenseful Lovecraftian cosmic horror story, and then season 3 made a switch to nauseatingly extreme body horror, and is generally agreed to be the weakest season thus far. For me personally, it put me off the series for good.

(Edit) [paragraph deleted]

I don't want to be responsible for turning this thread into yet another horror mob discussion. My intention was simply to share JoeW's actual words on the matter. So I'll end my remarks here.

Edited by QuQuasar
Deleted a paragraph about the emotions elicited by different type of horror
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, QuQuasar said:

My bad. The short version is that the first two seasons of Stranger Things provided an extremely suspenseful Lovecraftian cosmic horror story, and then season 3 made a switch to nauseatingly extreme body horror, and is generally agreed to be the weakest season thus far. For me personally, it put me off the series for good.

(Edit) [paragraph deleted]

I don't want to be responsible for turning this thread into yet another horror mob discussion. My intention was simply to share JoeW's actual words on the matter. So I'll end my remarks here.

Oh, i see

I get that klei dont wanna go in that direction but few moontants wont hurt.

Actually, seeing what the moon can do to living beings, makes it more scary. Is true that filling the world with that kind of mobs wont be a good idea and im happy to see how they made the grotto but, kinda like The colour out of space  tale scenario, morbid stuff can create a really cool atmosphere if the core of that events still being a mistery. Sure, the mutations where explicit but made the colour look more scary and misterious.

The same happens with Alter. When return of them appear, the moon was something to fear and to make us fell like we were under his weight but if you see grotto, even if i love it, thr moon loses their "evilness", is an agent of change but doesnt need to be a bad or morbid change. That broke a little the atmosphere of it. It felt like being near something radioactive, you dont see that agent of change but you really know what is their effect, which creates an oppresive atmosphere of fear and disconford but now we know that is moon magic and part of that feeling was lost

Rpv. Explicit mobs can be used to add more implicit caracteristics to a 3rd being creating an atmosphere of oppesion, fear and disconfort arround the effects of that living being

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Rpv. Explicit mobs can be used to add more implicit caracteristics to a 3rd being creating an atmosphere of oppesion, fear and disconfort arround the effects of that living being

Oh I completely agree, I really liked the horror mobs and it's a shame we won't be seeing more of them.

• Like 8

There’s still hope for horror mobs.. Theres a Terraria cross-over coming next month.

And I like to remain positive about all things in life: so maybe the reason they didn’t do any more Lunar Horrors is because they got the actual permission to use some of the ones from Terraria 

Now what I want to know: Is will this Terraria update be a One time only permanent content update, or will it be like Mid-Summers Cawnival? (A New Event that gets new content each year..)

Before I turn this into a TL:DR Terraria has over 400+ highly Bizarre & Mildly disturbing looking Mobs… and I would absolutely love some of that to come to DST since Klei straight up canceled their own Lunar Mutated Horrors.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 2

image.png.4b6aa9e9d6221511cde4f5768cd5bbcd.png

Does feeding a beefalo with a food seasoned by garlic powder make it take 33% less damage?
image.png.34e7f7f4fe610995a080458aba317865.png

How does volt goat chaud-froid work with beefalo? Do you have to eat it with your character or feed it to the beefalo?

image.png.fb9c4d4cb0255fe8e9a6c0720d5a484b.png

Do pigman and merms chop trees faster after eating Honey Crystals seasoned food?

image.png.7404954f51681b9f95fa90266a8fc0ac.png

Edited by Picklesaurus
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Picklesaurus said:

Does feeding a beefalo with a food seasoned by garlic powder make it take 33% less damage?

yes

How does volt goat chaud-froid work with beefalo? Do you have to eat it with your character or feed it to the beefalo?

beefalos cant eat it, you have to eat it with your character and ride your beef. Electricity!

Do pigman and merms chop trees faster after eating Honey Crystals seasoned food?

yes

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

And I like to remain positive about all things in life:

This will bring you much pain and suffering throughout your life. 
This is not intended to be rude, it is a statement of fact. Being optimistic 100% of the time forever will cause deep emotional damage when your unrealistic expectations are not met. 

so maybe the reason they didn’t do any more Lunar Horrors is because they got the actual permission to use some of the ones from Terraria 

They decided to stop using Lunar Mutants in 2019 after the release of Turn of Tides. That is too long for the crossover to have influenced their decisions. 

Edited by Wendy C.
For clarification.
  • Sad 1