Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Just now, ALCRD said:

I never bothered trying to tame Beefalos before.

How does the salt lick work?

My beefalo doesn't even want do anything with it and i parked his Bell near it.

they dont do any animation, just stand near. Is wasted overtime stopping the lose of the beefalo obedience or/and domestication (i dont really know which stat is paused)

17 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

they dont do any animation, just stand near. Is wasted overtime stopping the lose of the beefalo obedience or/and domestication (i dont really know which stat is paused)

Oh i thought they would actually lick it or something like it says on wiki that they would use it every 60 seconds.

12 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

I never bothered trying to tame Beefalos before.

How does the salt lick work?

My beefalo doesn't even want do anything with it and i parked his Bell near it.

Take the Beefalo with you everywhere you go.. (except into a swamp or boss fight) just passively fed it as you walk about the map, and also ride him/her as often as you possibly can- (you can gather resources while still on the Beefalo now so you literally are always taming it)

They can tame faster if you manage to get a Beefalo Brush during Winter, but if you start on Day 1- it should tame out before even needing the brush as long as your always riding it.. as soon as it bucks you off, immediately feed it 4-6 sticks and hop back on again. 

The Salt Lick only keeps it happy and fed if you plan to be away from it for a long time.. But- some things to note: you can also just drop it’s bell about a screen away from you and as long as your not close enough to it to trigger it running to you wanting food.. it will stay near its bell.

The Beefalo Dressing Station, Bell & Judges Post are now permanently part of the core game- you can “hitch” your furry companion to the judges post to prevent it from running off and doing its own thing.

25C49469-DF7A-4CF6-BA34-2A240067687B.thumb.png.51d08365d334848b6dfa6a8a82586ea3.png
The only thing that DID NOT stay in the game after Year of the Beefalo ended was the Judges Booth with Curio guy in it, sewing table, and Beefalo dolls.

I hope this is a trend that will continue from now on with ALL Limited time events also adding something permanently into the game, like the upcoming Year of Tiger adding a new Tiger-like mob or something.

I have my own question though- Are you guys absolutely SURE that Wurts Merms stop spawning in Winter? Because on Xbox at least- those suckers still spawn.. but I only create the starting houses (2 fish, 4 wood & rot) not the ones requiring 2 spears and tentacle spots.

Also is there ANYWAY at all to stop Merms from doing their “jobs” like- I mean if you chop a tree they’ll proceed to (and very dedicatedly I might add) chop down an entire forest.. I would absolutely love to be able to tell them “hey Me think Me have enough Wood & Rocks now, can you Pweez stop & keep following me?”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ALCRD said:

Oh i thought they would actually lick it or something like it says on wiki that they would use it every 60 seconds.

it would be cool and helpful

the salt lick has an area that will atract deers,beefalos and koalaphants (i dont know if there are other mobs atracted). Not so worth, you can optain the same with a pen but it could be useful in some situations. For main use, it pauses the domestication of your beefalos nearby

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Take the Beefalo with you everywhere you go.. (except into a swamp or boss fight) just passively fed it as you walk about the map, and also ride him/her as often as you possibly can- (you can gather resources while still on the Beefalo now so you literally are always taming it)

They can tame faster if you manage to get a Beefalo Brush during Winter, but if you start on Day 1- it should tame out before even needing the brush as long as your always riding it.. as soon as it bucks you off, immediately feed it 4-6 sticks and hop back on again. 

The Salt Lick only keeps it happy and fed if you plan to be away from it for a long time.. But- some things to note: you can also just drop it’s bell about a screen away from you and as long as your not close enough to it to trigger it running to you wanting food.. it will stay near its bell.

The Beefalo Dressing Station, Bell & Judges Post are now permanently part of the core game- you can “hitch” your furry companion to the judges post to prevent it from running off and doing its own thing.

25C49469-DF7A-4CF6-BA34-2A240067687B.thumb.png.51d08365d334848b6dfa6a8a82586ea3.png
The only thing that DID NOT stay in the game after Year of the Beefalo ended was the Judges Booth with Curio guy in it, sewing table, and Beefalo dolls.

I hope this is a trend that will continue from now on with ALL Limited time events also adding something permanently into the game, like the upcoming Year of Tiger adding a new Tiger-like mob or something.

I have my own question though- Are you guys absolutely SURE that Wurts Merms stop spawning in Winter? Because on Xbox at least- those suckers still spawn.. but I only create the starting houses (2 fish, 4 wood & rot) not the ones requiring 2 spears and tentacle spots.

Also is there ANYWAY at all to stop Merms from doing their “jobs” like- I mean if you chop a tree they’ll proceed to (and very dedicatedly I might add) chop down an entire forest.. I would absolutely love to be able to tell them “hey Me think Me have enough Wood & Rocks now, can you Pweez stop & keep following me?”

Good to know. As for the brush i think i'll pass on that item altogether. I'll just ride it and feed it bulbs for obidience and domestication.

I'm playing as Wanda so Walrus Tusks are invaluable for me.

I already don't like the fact that saddles have durability and to prevent durability loss i have to saddlehorn the saddle off (and saddlehorn also loses durability) if i am not plan on riding the beefalo. 

And i tend to forget that and my saddle lands on the ground after few moments.

12 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

I already don't like the fact that saddles have durability and to prevent durability loss i have to saddlehorn the saddle off (and saddlehorn also loses durability) if i am not plan on riding the beefalo. 

And i tend to forget that and my saddle lands on the ground after few moments.

i think with salt lick you prevent that

1 minute ago, ALCRD said:

It bucked it off while near salt lick too

Shaking off saddle has to do with obedience. if its too low it will shake the saddle off. increase obedience by feeding it, 1 item (stick/grass/etc) is like 10%, max 100% and it bucks it off if its lower than 40-50% or something. 

Fully domesticated beefalo never shake off their saddle.

Saddlehorn is only really useful to take the saddle off if u intend to take a break from domesticating halfway through or something and park ur beefalo near a salt lick to pause domestication. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Shaking off saddle has to do with obedience. if its too low it will shake the saddle off. increase obedience by feeding it, 1 item (stick/grass/etc) is like 10%, max 100% and it bucks it off if its lower than 40-50% or something. 

Fully domesticated beefalo never shake off their saddle.

Saddlehorn is only really useful to take the saddle off if u intend to take a break from domesticating halfway through or something and park ur beefalo near a salt lick to pause domestication. 

Well thanks, at least now I know how completely useless saddlehorns are (unless I want to switch its saddle for a different one of course) I have Never had my saddles drop below 100% because I always had plenty of random things to feed my furry Beef friend.

Some other things to note about Bell bonded beefalo: If not fully tamed they will attack you when in heat.. and with the bell always in your inventory they continue to chase you, this also happens if you use your Beefalo to attack & kill other Beefalo.. it’s quite hilarious actually.

if your in the saddle of a Beef (even if not fully tamed yet) you can go into a crowd of Beefalo that are in Heat without needing a Beefalo hat to not be attacked- you can use this as a cheap but effective way to avoid hound Waves attacks.

Beefalo updates & that bell really have changed this game up, they are amazing.. <3

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well thanks, at least now I know how completely useless saddlehorns are (unless I want to switch its saddle for a different one of course) I have Never had my saddles drop below 100% because I always had plenty of random things to feed my furry Beef friend.

Some other things to note about Bell bonded beefalo: If not fully tamed they will attack you when in heat.. and with the bell always in your inventory they continue to chase you, this also happens if you use your Beefalo to attack & kill other Beefalo.. it’s quite hilarious actually.

if your in the saddle of a Beef (even if not fully tamed yet) you can go into a crowd of Beefalo that are in Heat without needing a Beefalo hat to not be attacked- you can use this as a cheap but effective way to avoid hound Waves attacks.

Beefalo updates & that bell really have changed this game up, they are amazing.. <3

I didn't know this until someone pointed it out but you dont need the saddle horn to switch saddles. Trying to place a new saddle over an existing one swaps them.

The saddle horn is really just for keeping your beef saddleless. Which is only useful if they're not domesticated and can buck it off while you're not looking or if you have multiple domesticated beefs and not enough saddles.

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 2

Eh Beefalos seem like they are a bigger headache than they are worth.

18 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don't think that's true. My beefalo herd is in heat but the belled beefalo that isn't fully tamed isn't.

27 minutes ago, Ohan said:

That's the BS part too without a mod that shows me the stats i have no way telling how is my Beefalos obidience (or health or domestication for that matter)

So i end up either wasting more food / dry filler than i need or getting my saddle broken.

I give up i'll just use the bell to make more herds so i can slaughter these annoying f*ckers for meat and wool.

Cause that's what they are good for. (And eventually for hauling statues)

What's also more insulting my bonded beefalo doesn't care about if im attacked or not (when not riding)

And he's so frail few bees were enough to kill it lol so useless. Webber's common spiders put up more of a fight.

/rant over

Edited by ALCRD
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

I don't think that's true. My beefalo herd is in heat but the belled beefalo that isn't fully tamed isn't.

I think someone pointed out that this can happen because something causes the timer of when it goes into heat to reset. I know going into the caves resets it, but I'm not sure if bonding it resets it too.

Domesticating a beef is absolutely a chore albeit one with instant rewards for as long as the process lasts (higher movement speed, infinite spear, etc).

I do think its absolutely worth it though for the higher free movement speed or infinite durability discount darksword once the whole thing is over. 

I think the penalty of a beef dying is too high though. It should drop item at least that helps domesticate the next beef. Maybe a clump of "well groomed hair" or a "domesticated horn" that can be made into a new saddle that increases how much domestication it gains.

Edited by HowlVoid
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

That's the BS part too without a mod that shows me the stats i have no way telling how is my Beefalos obidience (or health or domestication for that matter)

So i end up either wasting more food / dry filler than i need or getting my saddle broken.

I give up i'll just use the bell to make more herds so i can slaughter these annoying f*ckers for meat and wool.

Cause that's what they are good for. (And eventually for hauling statues)

What's also more insulting my bonded beefalo doesn't care about if im attacked or not (when not riding)

And he's so frail few bees were enough to kill it lol so useless. Webber's common spiders put up more of a fight.

/rant over

Beefalo’s have different tendencies depending upon HOW you tame them, if you over fed it it becomes fat with a Pudgy looking face, he moves a little slower but provides free sanity while riding, if you use him in fights often he gets this constant “angry” expression on his face and will do more damage/have higher health as a battle mount.

I think there is a Speedy & Average one too but I only go for the top two. Sanity beef is kinda useless but I like it’s pudgy little face.

I agree we should be able to see how close are beefy friend is to dying though.. you can’t tell the difference from taking 1hp of damage from being 1hp away from dying. It’s annoying that a shaved Beefalo looks more sad and miserable then one that is just a hit away from becoming Meaty Stew or Hambats.

A bell bonded Beefalo shares the same code as Woby.. so yes, it will not protect you and runs away- but.. I don’t really care, because having it teleport to me and go in wormholes/caves is too good to pass up.

Edited by Mike23Ua

42 minutes ago, HumanBean150 said:

Are the batilisks that spawn in groups of ~3 a hallowed nights thing?

Yes, and also no.. they spawn more often during hallowed nights (including having a chance to spawn while digging up graves which is awesome.) but they also spawn randomly while you are chasing down hunts (the suspicious dirt piles) even outside of Hallowed Nights.

43 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

this was never a thing

Are you sure? I’m pretty sure bats do spawn while chasing hunts.. but not when the hunt leads to Koalelephant, happens most the time if your about to get a Varg.

It may help if you change world Gen settings to have Hunt Surprises happen more often.. Maybe? I don’t know- I just know it happens to me quite often.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

A bell bonded Beefalo shares the same code as Woby.. so yes, it will not protect you and runs away

I wish it was running away.

It doesn't it just stays there and takes hits till it dies.

I was gathering bees recently and 6 bees aggrod onto me beef and he was fighting them i was like "Ah cool he can handle it"

Then i returned to a pile of wool and meat .... (There were no other hives or extra bees to pile on him)

Without a rider they suck so hard at fighting it's just sad :P

11 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

I wish it was running away.

It doesn't it just stays there and takes hits till it dies.

I was gathering bees recently and 6 bees aggrod onto me beef and he was fighting them i was like "Ah cool he can handle it"

Then i returned to a pile of wool and meat .... (There were no other hives or extra bees to pile on him)

Without a rider they suck so hard at fighting it's just sad :P

Well I mean.. unless fully tamed it’s no big loss to you right? I’ve actually been using these things as a REPLACEMENT for Abigail when not playing as Wendy.. (as in- making enemy mobs get distracted attacking the Beefalo while I smack it to death with a weapon) works very well against Deerclops or Moose Goose actually, as long as you smack the boss and get it to try to hit YOU instead of The Beefalo, The Beefalo will continue to attack, distract it.

Enemies I DO NOT recommend using this tactic on are Tree Guards or Bearger.. 

they will protect themselves if they themselves get attacked, but will not protect you if you get attacked. They also will be Stun-Locked by Bee’s, Spiders or Frogs preventing them from attacking & just dying out completely (they are not designed to be a mob blending machine like Abby) 

But what they ARE Capable of is distracting Moose/Deerclops long enough for you to beat them both to death- as long you do not let the boss actually hit and kill them, they can take a few hits.. but they’re Not invulnerable.

Still though- if you plan to play as Wes you can completely bypass his downside of doing less damage because it does not apply to riding on your beefy mount.

also those pesky bees are really easy to kill if your on the mount attacking, AND as an added bonus- fighting then increases its “fighter tendency trait” during the Tame- really cool stuff.

Also I would equally recommend taming a Beef and putting the first available saddle on it, you can use the Saddled beef to more quickly get the ingredients for better saddles (like the one needing 60 something Butterfly wings)

Im not sure because I do not play as WARLY but he recently got a QoL buff that lets his special food dishes work on all follower types, I am not sure if this includes you Beefy Friend (no not Wolfgang.. *rolls eyes*) But if it DOES apply to your Beefalo’s- that’s even more OP then I thought.

Can someone who actually plays Warly confirm/deny if his recent QoL change also improves the Beefalo?

20 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Beefalo are strong, and OP if you pick a certain character who's downside is completed negated by them but upside remains at 54% for some reason. You don't want to waste time feeding them real food, or making salt licks (unless you intend on doing something you don't want the beefalo with), or doing anything of the sort. All you do is have a stack of twigs in your pockets (grass & spare berries also work) and every couple of minutes hop off the beefalo, feed it a few twigs, and hop back on. That's all you need to do until it's tamed, because simply riding the beefalo tames it. As you're taming it you have most of the benefits of a fully tamed beefalo with the downside that it will periodically buck you off (fully domesticated beefalo only buck you off every huge chunk of time like half an hour or something).

Beefalo are armor, a weapon, and a large movement speed buff all without a single slot taken. You can move fast, hit hard, and take a beating all without any slots taken allowing you to do all of that while having something like a piggyback, tam o'shanter, and lantern equipped in your actual slots. They're basically three extra slots, and allow you to have a very different playstyle.

The initial investment is a bit of a hassle and I'll only sometimes do it on public servers since it takes about two and a half hours to fully domesticate them so by the time it's ready I'll be heading off unless I'm staying on the server a really long time, but they're definitely worth considering. Like farming they're very good once you figure out what to do, but have a lot of misinformation spread about them.

Edited by Cheggf
  • Like 1