What do you believe is better? Staying sane or Insane?

Sane or Insane?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What's better in your opinion?

I find it better to stay sane most of the time. Because well having lots of nightmare fuel all the time would be great I just find having the shadow creatures pop out of nowhere when your doing something like building a campfire or chopping a tree etc annoying. Also I play as Maxwell a lot so staying insane for most of the time is hard.

35 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

I usually like to stay "insane" during mid and late game, so I can always farm more nightmare fuel, the most times I don't stay insane are during boss fights or when venturing the dark ruins. What about you?

Questions !

- How many nightmare fuel do you have and what do you do with ?

- Do you use some mods to erase insanity effects (effect on screen and this particular sound) ?

Just now, Moonatik said:

Questions !

- How many nightmare fuel do you have and what do you do with ?

- Do you use some mods to erase insanity effects (effect on screen and this particular sound) ?

I usually have at least 6 stacks of (40) stored in a chest, (since I overuse dark swords) And no, I don't use any mods to turn of the sounds / color change, the only thing I've done is to turn off that "distortion setting" which makes stuff appear to be "shaking" when you are insane. (And that's a game setting)

7 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

I usually have at least 6 stacks of (40) stored in a chest, (since I overuse dark swords) And no, I don't use any mods to turn of the sounds / color change, the only thing I've done is to turn off that "distortion setting" which makes stuff appear to be "shaking" when you are insane. (And that's a game setting)

You're right, I forgot this game setting. I'm not insane, most of the time. Because of the tam, and because of some other clothes which gives you sanity. I made a lot of glass cutters so I don't have many dark swords. I wear dark armor and dark sword when I want some nightmare fuel, but it's rare. Actually I maybe have like 30.

10 minutes ago, TheHollowKnight said:

I usually stay sane since the color and sounds when you are insane are annoying but if im insane without a tam ill be ok as long as im not fighting a boss or dont have a lantern. i usually just go insane to farm nm fuel

Exactly the same :eagerness:

However when playing Wllow, I actually like to be insane for BERNIE.

Maxwell has always been a main of mine, ever since they added him when DST came out of early access. The reason I like him so much is he has so much control over his sanity. It's easy to stay sane as him, and easy to go insane as him. Because of this, I usually only let myself go insane for a few days to mass farm nightmare fuel and then go back to being sane.

Plus my friend that I play with always goes Wortox so it's not like we ever run out of nightmare fuel.

5 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Its a shame this even has to be a debated question.

Really shows how weak sanity is as a mechanic, and highlights why sanity downsides are meaningless (hi, Walter).

i think is intended since is one of the most killers for newbies but so useful for players who start to use magic. Like how terrifing is bearger when you reach for the first time to the 2nd autumn but how useful is when you know how to deal with him

also, you dont want to fight FW or deerclops without sanity food/bq crown or the fight will last forever 

but yeah, nightmere events when you stay at low sanity in long worlds should be a thing

There's no "depends" option, so I'll just pass on the vote, because I believe it depends on the situation. If I had to pick between the two, I'd probably go for sane for the sole reason that you aren't having your work disrupted by hordes of shadows.

It also depends on the character, Willow for instance benefits from being insane more than being sane with Bernie.

While I think staying insane makes you progress much quicker, I personally prefer to stay sane for most of the game, mostly because of the insanity noises which can become annoying or even frustrating over time, I also don't like constantly dealing with the shadow creatures, even if they are quite easy to kill, even for someone as bad at kiting as me, they are still very annoying, and they also can be pretty dangerous in certain situations like boss fights or if you are forced to stay in one spot.

Being insane works for very specific things, like raiding the ruins, collecting NM fuel as a resource, duplicate thulecite, mass reading books and summoning "BERNIE!". (and other like breaking the torches at FW fight and passing through some obstacles at the atrium, but those are rare things).

Other than that, the character should try to stay sane and suggesting to stay insane all the time cause "it's what the pro's do" is silly in my opinion. All advanced players can cope with insanity for long periods of time, but if you don't need industrial amounts of nightmare fuel (which normally you don't) you will always at least try to remain sane in the every day life.

Nightmares make all trivial tasks and most boss fights incredibly annoying, and also the sounds and the colors seem to be there mostly to annoy the player and effectively "make us mad" than to penalize directly with a specific damage or debuff.

Public servers sane, except for ruins rush. Building shadow manipulator takes too long not to mention people leaving the server with purple gem from the surface.

Otherwise play however you want. But the obvious thing is if you eat fuel for breakfast then it's better to be insane to save time farming fuel.

You can always disable ambient sound, for me it's better to have it disabled even when sane.

Archived