What is your least favorite mob?

I'd have to say splemonkeys and ground worm "horde" attacks with like 5 or 6 coming after you. Monkeys are only annoying for me when I am trying to escape ruins and run into them on their nightmare phase. Yeah the Birch tree guard is annoying but I almost never spawn it

6 hours ago, Frashaw27 said:

Crawling horrors and terror beaks because guess who shows up when ever I try to do something?

Imagine having to pay any amount of attention towards a core gameplay mechanic.

32 minutes ago, Canis said:

Imagine having to pay any amount of attention towards a core gameplay mechanic.

True, what else is true is that whenever I try doing something when insane they always appear. I can deal with them just fine, but they are just uncanny whenever I'm trying to do something else. I understand its from my own hubris, but that doesn't make me hate them any less.

Let's make a quick top 5 list, shall we? FYI I'm basing most of these on my single player experiences.

5. Deerclops

Deerclops.jpg.74d0b9191ea2a1a9204f9e57c2a8bb00.jpg

Probably because I still have PTSD from my early days of playing Don't Starve. He is big, scary and appears out of the dark in the middle of the night to wreck your precious little base. Killing him and wearing his outstretched eye on my noggin gives me immense joy.

4. Flup

Flup.jpg.883da5985b57d28a036b862cfd8192b2.jpg

For me, Flups are ten times more annoying than Tentacles. They are creepy looking, plentiful and a pain to dodge. Thankfully, they are dumb enough to jump onto Poisonous Holes. Watching them die slowly from a safe distance is quite pleasurable. Since I'm into ranged weapons, their loot makes them a bit more tolerable.

3. Poison Birchnut Tree/Birchnutter

335578430_PoisonBirchnutTree.jpg.47988d39fc8ef389f81afe6e8e63dd10.jpg

The reason why I don't even plant Birchnut trees anymore, despite Trail Mix being one of my favorite Crock Pot dishes. There is a high chance for multiple of these monstrosities to spawn at the same time, which makes dealing with them an even bigger chore. Not to mention the myriad of deplorable little scumbags they produce. Even the voice of Birchnutters gives me the creeps. If you ask me, grab a couple of Fire Darts and light these suckers up, Living Logs be damned!

2. Varg

Varg.jpg.159afbfd5dede6b8851338d6381f5558.jpg

The single biggest problem I have with Vargs is their piss-poor loot table. Let's be honest here, if you survive past day 100, it's pretty much impossible to run out of Monster Meat and Hound Teeth. Which makes tracking down and hunting Vargs a colossal waste of time. Leading them into traps takes forever, while tanking them and their minions is a drain on valuable resources. I like their initial concept, since they could have brought a little more excitement into the tracking footprints mechanic. Instead, they just made it more frustrating. Give this mob an overhaul, Klei, and I might even love them down the road!

1. Splumonkey/Prime Ape

Monkey_Splumonkey.jpg.0d2fdcc3eee9466ea858156ed6a5eaf9.jpg

Was this even a question? The king of annoying mobs, these things were designed to bring you untold pain, suffering and make your life a living hell. They are constantly in your face, steal everything in sight (even from your own inventory), pelt you with their poop and their Ruins-dwelling variants even turn into psychotic murder-machines during the Nightmare Phase. Blasting them with a Boat Cannon, or facilitating their extinction by enlisting some friendly Rock Lobsters has to be one of the most satisfying things in the game.

For me it's probably hounds, they disrupt my work way too often, tho bats are up there too; i usually deal with them with a bunnyman but the guano everywhere is killing me.

I so often miss treeguards in early game that i can't really hate on them :D

latest?cb=20140304182040

This lil bag of sh|t fun sabotaged me sufficient times popping out of ground in my kiting worms path (without armor ofc) at the precise *CHOMP!* part to really make me despise its existence. Also the thing's "photo-bombing" my panoramic base print-screens so many times that now am killing them on spot, where they fell from ceiling/earthquakes and "eat them alive" (snap the neck & *GULP* goes the raw morsel down the drain).

14 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

saladmanders, carrats - no reason for the to exist except make a chinese year specific mob and so that lunar island isnt desolate

salamanders are useful to get dragon fruit seed without effort

im lazy to be farming in all my worlds until get the seeds i want

Tentacles hands down. Those things are annoying to fight considering the increased attack range and low attack period (4 for range and 2 for period retrospectively); both of which make it attack both powerfully and swiftly. While the damage might be 34 per hit from them, you will almost always get hit twice in a row from their attacks and if you're really unlucky you could get hit 4 times in total before being able to get away (136 dmg from 4 hits). Not to mention that they are everywhere in the swamp biome, and can slow the swamp base building process unless you invest in a lot of followers.

9 hours ago, Queron81 said:

Ewecus.

Oh yeah, Absolutely. They freeze you in disgusting snot and they kick you to death. With that, the phlegm is completely USELESS.

4 hours ago, Parusoid said:

saladmanders, carrats - no reason for the to exist except make a chinese year specific mob and so that lunar island isnt desolate

how do saladmanders exist for the chinese new year?

I have a disproportionate hatred of moleworms, because in singleplayer they steal thermal stones and in DST they're the reason you can't find any flints within a day's travel of the portal by day 5. I don't know if they're my actual least favourite mob but they definitely deserve a mention. That, and the sniffing noises they make drive me insane, although that might have something to do with the fact that it usually precedes them snatching up a mineral item I wanted.

Flups are like if a tentacle could get up and chase you and I hate them.

Ewecuses can basically kill you outright if you're alone and not wearing any armor when you encounter them, if you're a character with average or below-average health. And their loot is rare but only marginally useful, adding insult to injury. Plus they're not even cute.

Pengulls make really annoying noises all day long and have occasionally killed me unprovoked. I lost an Adventure Mode run that way recently.

Depths Worms are the main reason I don't do a lot of spelunking; they're easy to land hits on but they can really ruin your day if your armor breaks or they get you when you haven't had the chance to put it on. If you're Maxwell or you're stuck with a significant health penalty from cheap resurrections, they can even one-hit-kill you from full health.

I have a grudge against Clockwork Bishops because they shoot at me when I'm minding my own business and often not wearing armor because I have a backpack and sanity hat on instead. And in adventure mode or in the ruins it sometimes seems like you can't walk ten paces without putting your foot in a whole nest of clockworks. I have a sort of love-to-hate relationship with these guys, honestly, much like the Deerclops.

I have occasionally found myself yelling at the screen when the Masked Pig shows up; I like his design and sneaking music and he drops a neat hat, but he hits pretty hard, spawns frequently, and targets me even when I only have 3 oincs. And the city guards' response tends to be either a) helping themselves to the money he punched out of my pockets before they try to attack him or b) setting him on fire, which is deeply unhelpful given that in Hamlet I main Wormwood. And then he has the brazen indecency to run away when I hit him back instead of letting me duel him to the death and take his hat.

As mentioned above, Flups and Pengulls. 

Flups because, first of all, they are not useful for anything, but I hate the fact that they do not respawn, so I am always in an internal argument between "die, you useless, annoying and ugly thing" and "wait... I don't want to make a creature go extinct". 

Pengulls because WAAAHH!! * me suffering heart attack sounds *

Archived