What are your thoughts on the long pig?

Your thoughts on the long pig?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Eugh, too disgusting and macabre.
    • Good for PVP servers.

I would like a "neither" option in the poll.

I would love to see the implementation of this even if it's not pvp. Eating this, even cooked or dried could reduce sanity, and they could find ways to put in in-game that don't require other players.

In my opinion, the more options the better!

5 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Oh goodness... *urp* @Le Rafistoleur Please tell me that that's  a fake image

Don't worry it isn't human meat

Unless you don't like regular meat. in which case...

But it'd be cool if long pig was just dropped by some other type of monster rather than having it be dropped by other player, and have it be used in crafting recipes rather than shoving it in your mouth. 

20 minutes ago, Le Rafistoleur said:

It reminds me of "saucisson"

Are you really comparing le sauciflard with human meat ? (it seems it is called cured ham in English)

18 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

Oh goodness... *urp* @Le Rafistoleur Please tell me that that's  a fake image

And you, are you badmouthing le sauciflard ?

gh8e.png

Warly, my fellow french

Spoiler

The peak of french gastronomy, especially for students

064642G.jpg

@Charlie Dark OH GOD ! I'm sorry XD it's not human meat, it's pig, it's alrighty I'm so sorry, hope that you're not disturbed, are you alright ???
And about @Caochu I love saucisson, it's not what I meant x) I just said that it made me think of it, that's why I was speaking about another way to obtaining it, beside murder, because, they could reuse the item, and remake it to not be human flesh, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding everyone x) but to be more clear and on topic, I don't love the idea of human flesh on DST, but want to see the textures used in game one day.

If Klei ever decided to get serious about PVP content in DST then long pig could certainly fit in.  The problem is DST is largely a cooperative endeavor and killing players for meat just creates bad play patterns.  Since the game's launch its been built towards sandbox coop with big baddies.  If they were going to release game-modes such as forge and gorge as regular modes you could host then they could also put together a more hunger games style survivor mode where everyone is going to die, either to each other or to massively devastating "natural causes."  In such a mode where food would be seriously lacking, time to set up base / farms nonexistent, and every player is a potential foe then harvesting a kill for meat would be pretty fitting.

That all said - I'm not sure that's the direction Klei wants to take the game.  If one of the more serious modders wanted to make this I think it would fit well with DST.

1 minute ago, Caochu said:

@Le Rafistoleur I was joking, I understood what you meant and how it could remind you of saucisson :D

Why not process some long pig in saucisson using a meat grindr after all.

But maybe only in a mod I guess, those might be too much Hannibal vibes for DST :fat:

Actually, if long pig texture was used for salt meat or something like this, we could have some saucissons with it hehe ^^

I've said it before, and I've said it again. My main issue with Long Pig is the fact that I don't think any of the survivors would ever willingly eat it. It feels completely out of character for them, given the direction DST is taking. 

I personally do not like the increasingly friendly atmosphere of DST, but at the same time, adding content that feels this out of place would be awkward to me.

Not to mention, in the time long pig did exist, it wasn't useful. In the slightest. It was just another means for rot, and highly ineffective at that. And with other equally awful food (or better, such as monster meat) so painfully abundant, it really adds nothing to the game in that perspective either.

I did an entire lengthy post explaining all my points about this a while ago, but the forums forget half of my posts, and lord knows I've looked for that post as this topic comes up every now and then. I don't have it in me to write down my entire explanations for why I think it's as bad as an idea as I think it is, but you get the picture.

That said, I'm not the only person on the planet, so don't take my post as something that should tilt you in either direction. Form your own opinion on cannibalism!

I agree with the decision to remove long pig from the base game because it didn't add anything worthwhile.

As far as it being macabre though, Wortox can already collect souls from survivors (minus Wx) and gets two from Webber, so there's precedent.

Personally? I think that 'it's to macabre for the game' is really not a good argument for its removal. A better one would be what @Auth has said- that it'd be worthless and feel out of place.

Because at the end of the day a concept may be scary/disturbing but we're still talking about ds/t. Nothing here is creepy. We say that stuff like nightmare fuel pouring from ancient statues is creepy because we know that it was intended to be creepy. But it doesn't make anyone scared or even feel uncomfortable. I'm sure that people that were 'disturbed' by lunar mutants don't make up even 1% of playerbase.

So ultimately, we could have blood rituals in dst and they still wouldn't be creepy or disturbing.

If you want something disturbing then play as Wormwood and reverse roles. He's a human and a fence is 'made of friends'.

4 hours ago, Charlie Dark said:

D-don't worry! I've seen far worse... at least that's not what I thought... phew!

If you're not disturbed or anything it's alrighty ~ ^^ and the link of @Roosty_knife is very informative about saucisson, you should check it,  if you're interested ! (And that's how the topic about long pig turned into saucisson topic x))

honestly I'd like to see it make some kinda reappearance. maybe it could essentially be a meat item that only mobs can eat? like yeah spiders and pigs'll eat it, but characters just refuse to do so? so that when you get it, you don't gotta pull from your own meat stores if you wanna recruit a buncha allies; and maybe it doesn't drop on endless modes to reduce exploitation, so that if you want long pig, you gotta go through the sanity drain of survival ghosts? just some Thoughts

13 minutes ago, pecknxck said:

honestly I'd like to see it make some kinda reappearance. maybe it could essentially be a meat item that only mobs can eat? like yeah spiders and pigs'll eat it, but characters just refuse to do so? so that when you get it, you don't gotta pull from your own meat stores if you wanna recruit a buncha allies; and maybe it doesn't drop on endless modes to reduce exploitation, so that if you want long pig, you gotta go through the sanity drain of survival ghosts? just some Thoughts

make PK give 3 gold for it lol.

Why is everyone saying its "out of place"? People will eat anything they can when they're starving to death, doesnt matter if its Wendy eating it or WX.

And besides it would improve immersion seeing the monster that killed you eating you, and if your friend died and you were starving to death it would serve as a desperate measure that could save your survival world.

On 5/14/2020 at 7:40 PM, Charlie Dark said:

Yes, this may have already been brought up before but I'm not too sure if someone has  already made a poll on it, so do you believe human cannibalism was a good idea in this game?

raw.png.58c1b5f382b672df2e6aa19ff24b3d48.png cooked.png.5646ffb36b3892fc7eebb7e0e05f1628.png dried.png.2d16f3a10a5c52b17adecf866e7f45d4.png

This would drop from players and could be could or dried, this feature has of course been removed but the assets of the human meat still exist in the game's files.

as a graveyard keeper player.... I see no problem with it... but alas... so many people can't think of a nuanced take on things....

maybe add an option for "I don't care"? It's a videogame not real life... 

23 hours ago, minespatch said:

I'd like more horror to return. Return of Them seems to be showing back to the horror roots.

can't agree more... tbh I hope the devs move from working so much on cute cosmetics to more groundbreaking content...

and yes... I'm still alive... just lurk mode activated :P

I'm always up for adding more "creepy" content into DST, with this urge being far greater as of late because of the direction Klei has been taking it. Although, I do agree that it would need a purpose to justify it's existence, more than "OooOOoO look at me, I imply something bad and scary".

49 minutes ago, Canis said:

Although, I do agree that it would need a purpose to justify

Return of Them seems to imply this return to their roots. They just need more of a push. The Pearl quests seem to have a air of Melancholy as you kill her lover.

Archived