[Poll] On Wendy's Rework Postmortem

wnedy rework  

137 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Wendy's rework?

• Very Satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Unsatisfied
    • Very Unsatisfied
    • I have no strong feelings regarding the rework
  2. 2. What was the most fleshed-out, though-of part of the rework for you?

• The revamped Abigail Mechanics
    • Wendy's new character items/structures
    • Wendy and Abigail's new skins
    • The lore
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
  3. 3. If you answered "Very Satisfied/Satisfied", why so?

• The character reworks improved upon Wendy's existing gameplay without changing too much of its' core aspects.
    • The character reworks made Wendy more powerful and easier/less of a chore to play with.
    • The character reworks made Wendy more enjoyable to play.
    • The character reworks gave Wendy the lore she deserved.
    • The character reworks fleshed out Wendy's gameplay further, giving her new strategies and gameplans, and therefore viability.
    • I voted "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied."
    • I voted "No strong feelings."
  4. 4. If you answered "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied", why so?

• The character reworks didn't innovate much apart from Wendy's core gameplay.
    • The character reworks made Wendy too powerful.
    • The character reworks made Wendy less enjoyable to play.
    • The character reworks didn't give Wendy as much lore as she deserved.
    • The character reworks removed some enjoyable/interesting aspects from Wendy's core gameplay.
    • I voted "Very Satisfied/Satisfied."
    • I voted "No strong feelings."

The rework was almost perfectly satisfying, but the only sad thing for me is "Bosses' damage multiplier against mobs" is applied to abigail, too. Due to this problem, abigail can't kill some bosses (Like bearger) regardless of how many specter-cure all you have.

5 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:

The rework was almost perfectly satisfying, but the only sad thing for me is "Bosses' damage multiplier against mobs" is applied to abigail, too. Due to this problem, abigail can't kill some bosses (Like bearger) regardless of how many specter-cure all you have.

that is the point of wendy. Great crowd control but weak against bosses and shadows, without that she will have no downsides

She's basically the best starting character in the game right now, easily taking Wilson's spot as the definitive beginner character. Wendy's rework made her more fun and easy to pick up and play with how Abigail is able to defend Wendy as they work together.

I hope Wilson/Wes are considered next for a rework!

It was nice but kinda underwhelming. You can now summon abigail easily and manually make her passive or agressive. Thanks i guess? This felt less like a "rework" and more like a quality of life update that should've happened a long time ago, except even with these changes she can still be frustrating (riled up abby will do her own thing instead of attacking the mobs currently hitting you). Why cant we like, use the flower on mobs to make her attack specific targets or something?

I get that she is supposed to be a character for newbies and lazy players but then what's the point of the potion system? Newbies wont know how to make them (The ones i've seen didnt even how to summon or rile up) and lazy players sure wont bother. Maybe it's too much to ask but i was hoping abigail would provide some utility other than fighting, like bernie does drawing agro and fighting shadows. As it is, Wendy is kinda of "Wilson but with a jojo stand", which is fine but not cool as it should sound. As a lazy player who usually picks wendy myself, i still like the changes.

I'm quite satisfied for reasons previously said above. 

The only thing is that I really thought Klei would make the graves renewable. Let's say, if you help a Pipspook coming from a night of the full moon, his/her grave gets filled back with dirt (if the grave was dug up in the first place). I'm sure they looked at a similar idea about the renewability of graves and they took the decision to not do it ; Why?  WHY KLEI? What's the big deal with graves?!  Trickets are too OP? Dug UP GRAVES ARE UGLYYY bleh!

arrh.. srry

7 minutes ago, csc_unit said:

The only thing is that I really thought Klei would make the graves renewable. Let's say, if you help a Pipspook coming from a night of the full moon, his/her grave gets filled back with dirt (if the grave was dug up in the first place). I'm sure they looked at a similar idea about the renewability of graves and they took the decision to not do it ; Why?  WHY KLEI? What's the big deal with graves?!  Trickets are too OP? Dug UP GRAVES ARE UGLYYY bleh!

That could be a Hallowed Nights addition where people can build tombstones to give pipspooks and other spirits homes.

As a Wendy main, this Rework is everything I could’ve hoped for and more- (after they removed the lower health = More Damage stuff.)

Wendy is meant to be an easier character choice, that’s why she now doesn’t need a lantern or torch to survive the nights and can just stay by Abigail. Not only does this help in Emergencies.. but it also saves her Materials & Lantern Durability.

Wendy can now deal a decent amount of damage instead of being entirely weak, but only if she attacks things Abigail has attacked.. forcing the sisters to work together rather than forcing them to break apart like the Low Health High Damage thing.

One of my favorite I guess you can say “Toys” to play with in Single player DS was the Divining Rod and I missed it Dearly In DST, so for Pipspook Interactions to be the Divining Rod Mini-Game AND it’s tied to my Main character I play as makes my heart filled with great joy.

Overall- Klei has stated before in the past that they design this game with its FUTURE already in Mind, So maybe the game seems to be getting easier and easier with each character Rework... but I am 200% certain that Klei doesn’t expect it to remain that way forever.

Big content is coming.. huge changes.. I just know it somehow, I get the feeling that we’re gonna NEED these new Reworked abilities and powers just to survive whatever Klei plans to throw at us in the End Game.

3 hours ago, Serph said:

Why cant we like, use the flower on mobs to make her attack specific targets or something?

Remember console players, Wortox's teleporta was made with a mouse in mind and now in console it's quite bad, so making the rile up depend on a mouse like feature would make life for us even worse, the rile up works so well in console and if it was replaced by say, a marker which you press b and the closest mob to the marker will be targeted, or maybe getting close and selecting the flower for her to "force aggro" would be horrible, you have to remember that not everyone has the game on the PC.

Obvious bias, but I am a huge fan of Abigail's (and by proxy Wendy's) lore. 

Unpopular opinion, but I MUCH prefer the sisturn sanity station over the old one. It's made my early-game support rush as Wickerbottom so much less of a headache in-game and IRL due to not having to fight as many shadows (i.e. the ones that BOTH my teammates and myself spawn) while I'm harvesting. The old sanity station, while over twice as effective, was an end-game, solo-friendly station that took a significant amount of work to make. With or without the old sanity station, I personally never had any sanity-related issues at endgame. 

Why do people say “End Game?” Those people have to be playing strictly on PC and ruined most of the game by looking up detailed online guides, I can say this with absolute confidence because when you look at the percentage stats for Xbox Live achievements you can see that very very VERY few people have actually seen this “End Game.”

Which is Why when everyone was suggesting creating new content tied directly to only experiencing if you have defeated some final boss I always strongly disagreed against it.. just look.. that’s all you have to do, idc if you agree or disagree with any or all of my personal opinions 

JUST LOOK AT THE STATS...

I can lie, You can lie, but Stats don’t ever lie... and it confuses me greatly why anyone would want Klei to create content that only 3% of the people playing their game will ever experience anyway. :( 

17 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Why do people say “End Game?” Those people have to be playing strictly on PC and ruined most of the game by looking up detailed online guides, I can say this with absolute confidence because when you look at the percentage stats for Xbox Live achievements you can see that very very VERY few people have actually seen this “End Game.”

Which is Why when everyone was suggesting creating new content tied directly to only experiencing if you have defeated some final boss I always strongly disagreed against it.. just look.. that’s all you have to do, idc if you agree or disagree with any or all of my personal opinions 

I can lie, You can lie, but Stats don’t ever lie... and it confuses me greatly why anyone would want Klei to create content that only 3% of the people playing their game will ever experience anyway. :( 

I played 1000hours without knowing what the hell is suppose to do with the moon rocks, marble pieces, etc even i didnt know that there is a ruins zone because in rog i didnt notice the ruins entrace (i though that the caves was only the 1st floor biomes), my friend and i was tired of surviving autumm, winter, spring, summer and repeat (almost 400 days doing the same stuff because of ignorance) so ofc some people will look guides and wiki. When depends of how do you love the game and his learning experience but there is a late game and is when you get ruins and boss gear

@Mike23Ua

Off-topic once again... this is a wendy rework thread and you start talking about "end game"...

Edit: nothing of what you said in your two previous post were related to wendy, they were complaint about late game player wanting more late content. Usually doing as such derails the conversation and starts big arguments that were no even necessary in the first place

Just now, Warlockadamm said:

@Mike23Ua

Off-topic once again... this is a wendy rework thread and you start talking about "end game"...

Okay well Wendy’s Rework was created with what she will be like in “End Game” Content in mind, I’m failing to see where that’s entirely off-topic. But meh it’s fine. Sorry.

@Mike23Ua not only are you completely off-topic but you are also spewing absolute nonsense.

Spoiler
38 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m not sure where you got the 3% from but if that’s really the number, then those people (IMO) are kinda the most important when it comes to adding new content? They’re the ones that love the game enough to play it through and they usually contribute the most.

Also, have you even experienced all the content Klei has already given us? :S

15 minutes ago, reichull said:

@Mike23Ua not only are you completely off-topic but you are also spewing absolute nonsense.

Reveal hidden contents

I’m not sure where you got the 3% from but if that’s really the number, then those people (IMO) are kinda the most important when it comes to adding new content? They’re the ones that love the game enough to play it through and they usually contribute the most.

Also, have you even experienced all the content Klei has already given us? :S

Spoiler

No, I’ve never seen Malbatross. But why design content tied to something less than 3% of the people playing your game will ever even see? Like For example why lock a Totally Uncompromising Mode with new harder enemies and biomes behind having to kill Fuelweaver and Reset your world map??

Thats basically what people want when they ask for End Game content.. something you do after you’ve already beat the End game boss.

Why lock that behind content only 3% of players will ever experience?

Completely off topic? No.. because as I’ve said before Klei designs what Wendy plays like with the future of the game already in their vision. I only brought it up, Because I generally dislike the idea of locking content or game modes behind something very few people have ever seen or done.

But how Wendy plays vs End Game Mobs or Game modes is entirely on topic, although the only people who could possibly know that is Klei staff.

My only concern is that they’ll create content few people will ever see or enjoy, where as something like a Massive Summer Season Rework or Elevated Plots of Land or even a 3D mode like some mods have used before in the past would be seen & enjoyed by more players then that 3% of players End Game content is created for.

Think about what it would be like if Elevated land actually was added to the game, how would something that massively game changing work with Wendy’s Rework?? Would Pipspook float up or down walls to indicate to Wendy that the Trinket she is looking for is on the plot of land above or down below her?

TL:DR- Theres a lot more to think about other than just Oh cool look what Pipspook do! They have to also factor in Examples like the one I provided above.

When a forum moderator feels like all my posts are derailing threads they’ll delete my posts and issue me a warning or ban me or something..  in the meantime: Ive been deleting a good majority of my own posts because I struggle to get to my point- and once I’ve found my point I can edit or remove all the ones that aren’t necessary anymore.

Archived