Discussion about Rework Order

More threads!

I'm really curious on what y'all think would be the most ideal rework order, as in "who should get reworked next, and next, and next (etc)" 

Here's my suggestion which is ranked by "Who needs it most" in my opinion. Comment below yours, or if you agree with me.

* = Part of the Big 3. JoeW said that they're scared to touch these characters.

Note that this does not account for surprise reworks from Singleplayer Characters (like Warly)

----------------------------

1. Wendy
-- Wendy as of now simply sucks; Abi's AI is VERY suicidal. Also it's practically confirmed that she's next anyway.

2. Webber
--Has absolutely nothing going for him after early-game. It is astronomically rare to see people playing Webber in long-running worlds.

3. Maxwell
--Boring to play; Farm materials, Fight Shadow Creatures. Plus him being an ex-antagonist + edgy magician has so much potential.

4. WX*
--All of his upsides are simple stat changes (save for Overcharge's light), and his downside may as well not even exist.

5. Wolfgang*
--He can be REALLY strong, but his playstyle is very simple, barely differing from the average.

6. Wicker*
--Has a more diverse playstyle than Wolfgang, which is why she's further back.

7 Wifgrid
--Wigfrid is generally considered to have a fun playstyle, and doesn't really need a higher up rework slot.

8. Wes
--Wes is supposed to be the challenge character, so the others should get reworked first.

9. Wilson
--It just feels right to have Wilson end it off.

36 minutes ago, Canis said:

More threads!

I'm really curious on what y'all think would be the most ideal rework order, as in "who should get reworked next, and next, and next (etc)" 

Here's my suggestion which is ranked by "Who needs it most" in my opinion. Comment below yours, or if you agree with me.

Note that this does not account for surprise reworks from Singleplayer Characters (like Warly)

1. Wendy
-- Wendy as of now simply sucks; Abi's AI is VERY suicidal. Also it's practically confirmed that she's next anyway.

2. Webber
--Has absolutely nothing going for him after early-game. It is astronomically rare to see people playing Webber in long-running worlds.

3. Maxwell
--Boring to play; Farm materials, Fight Shadow Creatures. Plus him being an ex-antagonist + edgy magician has so much potential.

4. WX*
--All of his upsides are simple stat changes (save for Overcharge's light), and his downside may as well not even exist.

5. Wolfgang*
--He can be REALLY strong, but his playstyle is very simple, barely differing from the average.

6. Wicker*

7 Wifgrid
--Wigfrid is generally considered to have a fun playstyle, and doesn't really need a higher up rework slot.

8. Wes
--Wes is supposed to be the challenge character, so the others should get reworked first.

9. Wilson

I think like Wickerbottom, Maxwell and Wilson will be 3 last ones, mostly because they'll probably will have very important shorts lore-wise. 

42 minutes ago, Canis said:

More threads!

1. Wendy

2. Webber

3. Maxwell

4. WX*

5. Wolfgang*

6. Wicker*

7 Wifgrid

8. Wes

9. Wilson

Seems alright to me, but i'm not really picturing how a ,,wes" rework will look like.

3 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

Seems alright to me, but i'm not really picturing how a ,,wes" rework will look like.

I know, There is no need in challege character that will only harm team in Together. I think they will just give him some interesting abillities so he can be useful for the team, like mimik some tools or weapons, entertain so he can raise sanity of his friends. But i think he should be fragile so that should not change, i just can't imagine him not being fragile.

4 hours ago, Canis said:

Wendy as of now simply sucks; Abi's AI is VERY suicidal.

While Abby definitely could use some improvements, she's far not that bad. You can do a lot ot save her from dying or to extend her life time, many times she dies it could have been prevented or avoided. For example by managing monsters' aggro (taking spiders' aggro greatly reduces the damage Abigail takes), or not going to (or being very cautious) the swamp if you need her to stay alive.

Fun fact, you can kill a tentacle without taking damage if you let it attack Abigail first, no need to kite it. You can also save her life if she happens to get aggroed on one. Same goes to tallbirds, with the only difference that she can survive more (2-4) tallbirds than tentacles (1-2).

4 hours ago, Canis said:

9. Wilson

Could't agree more. I hjope we get to see what happened to him on the Nightmare Throne

Tho I do hope that Maxwell ends up being just b4 Wilson. As of now character cinematics didn't show characters being actually sent to the Constant. And since we know most of Maxwell's backstory I think it'd be neat if his cinematic showed him kidnapping the rest of the characters. 

That way we'd know both every characters' backstory but also how Maxwell tricked them

2 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

I think moving Maxwell to the end would be more fitting, since his short would probably reveal how he got "everyone" into the constant

That's is what I want Maxwell's short to reveal.

But remember that we already know how Wilson got into the Constant. Which means that Maxwell might as well be right before Wilson.

Putting Wilson as the last one would feel better imo

I've sometimes wondered if the Devs kinda regret committing to reworks for everyone. I haven't used anywhere close to all the characters so i honestly don't know how most of them work, but i'd imagine there are at least a few that are closer to the "pretty good as they are" end of the spectrum than others.

I'm definitely not against reworks for everyone, but I certainly don't envy the Devs in regards to this topic. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during the rework meetings.

9 hours ago, Canis said:

-snip-

I fully and almost 100% Agree with this.. but not because Wes and Wilson are the lowest priorities on the Rework List.

I feel like Wes shouldn’t get his Rework until AFTER Everyone else does.. that way we know the direction every other character now stands at and Where Wes needs to go from there.

Wes as the Hard Mode Character is Boring.. that’s something that ONLY Works in Single player & keeping him that way locks a character someone may own unique skins for locked behind a certain Skill level.

PLUS what if other characters actually get *Gasp* FUN new abilities that aren’t really designed around making them “More or Less OP” But Rather Focuses on making them “Fun, And Unique to Play As”

Such as for Example Wolfgang being able to now stand at the edge of land and go into a “Throwing Pose” and another Player walking up to and Hitting the “Interact Button” to be thrown over a gap of land.

Yes You can say why not just place a Boat Cookie Blah Blah Blah (which is why I keep pushing hard to have that nerfed to hell and back..)

I would EVEN Put Wes Below WALANI, And the rest of the Shipwrecked and Hamlet cast as to who gets Reworked first.

Walani being able to place Surfboards into the now smaller sized gaps of land that Boat Kits no longer fit into..

THEN There’s Wes... Sad old Unreworked Boring Wes.

Now I “Get” that some people Want Wes to remain The Hard Mode Character but doing that wastes a Slot that they could’ve turned him FUN like the rest of the games Character Cast..  And it also prevents someone who may own cool skins for him from playing as him due to skill threshold.

Which is why I Purpose something New...

”A Way of The Wes” Character Select Option when picking your Character..

What this does is Disable all of the character your picks Stats, Traits, Perks, Special Powers and Kit Items- And Replaces them all with Current Wes Stats, Traits Etc..

You can Argue that you’d like to see Current Wes made more of an annoying Harder Character.. and I can see that and I understand.

But in the End... all that should just be added to the Way of The Wes Toggle Option That way I can choose to play as Wendy, Wurt, Wortox ETC WITHOUT Access to any of their perks.

TL:DR- Anyone can be Wes when you add a Difficulty Toggle, the Character you Select would be Purely Cosmetic Only. Which opens up WES himself to become a fun, new, Unique character all on his own.

#ReworkTheMime!

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

TL:DR- Anyone can be Wes when you add a Difficulty Toggle, the Character you Select would be Purely Cosmetic Only. Which opens up WES himself to become a fun, new, Unique character all on his own.

#ReworkTheMime!

How does eliminating the advantages of the rest of the characters - essentially turning them all into wes - turn wes into a fun, new unique character when technically he's only managed to turn the rest of the characters into him, which ironically makes him not unique and adds no meaningful changes to his current gameplay?

Instead why not give him the power of mime mimicry and lower his aggro rates? why not grant him higher trade benefits because he's an expert haggler? why not give him traits that actually make him fun instead of that suggestion?

On the topic of reworks, 

wendy aside, I'd like to see Maxwell's shadows worked on next, especially the duellists. I'd also love to see his story fleshed out, and him learning new magic/creating new puppets to defend against charlie Then i'd like to see more of webber's backstory fleshed out, and more changes like those suggested by Canis and Co. as agreeably he has little else aside from constant spider farms. After that, I would finally love a wicker rebalance, esp with regards to her being able to read with 0 sanity.

16 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

How does eliminating the advantages of the rest of the characters - essentially turning them all into wes - turn wes into a fun, new unique character when technically he's only managed to turn the rest of the characters into him, which ironically makes him not unique and adds no changes to his current gameplay?

His current gameplay?? We are discussing Reworked characters, Current Wes is subject to heavy changes.

His Current Gameplay or even the ideas people have thrown around for a Harder Rework of his current Gameplay needs to be a Toggled Difficulty Option so that ANYONE can play like that..

This Opens Wes Himself up to be a Brand new Unique character like the rest of the games cast.

And while I have no idea what that would be like.. I could imagine more Mime/Clown themed content..

like for example being able to use his Balloons to blow up a rubber duck float boat, or tying a few balloons to himself to temporarily float over a gap of land.. or to Mime Invisible Walls that enemies slam into and look around confused at what the heck just happened for a few seconds.

Rowing a Boat with an Invisible Oar 

Also ever since Klei added the Championship Pig Mini Game where you can be smacked around by a Giant Sign I’ve wanted THAT As a WES Weapon.

You know.. if you think Looney Tunes you have a perfect Idea of Where to go with a FUN Wes Rework..

Everyone has always wanted a Way for Wes to read Signs.. So how about Uprooting it from the ground and holding it up pointing at it visible on the players screen so you can read it yourself.. before he places it back down again.

—————————————

Hard Mode Wes or any potential Reworked HARDER Mode Wes should be turned into a Option you can pick when selecting the Character you want to play as.

10 minutes ago, thetricker1 said:

how can be wilson unbalanced when is the blank character?

Being a blank slate character is just kinda meh, no significant upsides, no downsides. Wilson technically isn't weak, it's just that other characters can do the things he can better/in different ways. 

9 minutes ago, Axelocke said:

Being a blank slate character is just kinda meh, no significant upsides, no downsides. Wilson technically isn't weak, it's just that other characters can do the things he can better/in different ways. 

It worked in Single Player Don’t Starve because they acted as sort of a Difficulty Toggle Option if you will...

but in Multiplayer a Bland character is a still Bland Character & They all should be more fun to play and interesting to play together with.

Meanwhile I would LOVE an actual Difficulty Toggle prior to choosing to host a world but that’s a topic for another thread.

We got WILLOW a general character. Woody a gathering character. Then Warly a cooking focused character. Also Wormwood to help manage camps and defense with there traps. I feel its time to work on a character that works well in battle. That could be the Wendy rework but I'm hoping for a Wigfrid rework. Wendy should get perks to help them become the best cave character imo.

17 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

I'll just leave this table behind in this topic, hoping that this will answer a few questions.

CharacterTable.png.b6bf68851751e757c1f7bb508760bf7c.png

I lol'ed when you put wigfred beneath the other 3. I would say she is the easiest to survive as BY FAR. People kill dragonfly as her at beeping day 3.

5 hours ago, thetricker1 said:

how can be wilson unbalanced when is the blank character?

10 characters. The blank one is +0. all other characters are either +1 or higher. This makes him weaker by compare.

However Im still against reworking him.

Archived