Klei 2020 Roadmap (Fanmade) - What do you want & expect in 2020?

Hi, I just made a fanmade 2020 Roadmap for Klei on that other roadmap thread and thought it might be fun to have a dedicated discussion on what the forums want and expect this year. I really wonder what other forumites expect this year-so what changes do you want to see in DST in 2020?  Who knows, maybe we have some clairvoyants around here. Here's my half realistic-half ludicrous pile of expectations in Klei's Roadmap format:

Roadmap Anouncement for 2020

Welcome to the next decade everyone! It has been a stellar year for Don't Starve Together and we have no plans of stopping the momentum of new content this year.

First off, you can expect the character reworks to keep on coming all throughout 2020 and you may be excited to see some familiar faces that haven't found the chance to starve together with our survivors yet. We're pleased to anounce Wendy as our next rework character and you can expect her rework to arrive on early March. Prepare yourselves for some heartbreaking story reveal for what has transpired in the life of our young but melodramatic survivor and her sister before stepping into the constant.

20200102_054302.jpg.64b06b60871ad8e960b870558362af49.jpg

As for the Return of Them lineup of updates, we'll be continuing to periodically add in new content brought to you thanks to the moon and 'them'. Like the past updates, we'll first release open beta branches for our PC players, who we thank for their continuous support and contributions through beta testing and feedback. After some time in beta testing for finalization, we'll release them across all our platforms along with a cinematic. We haven't forgotten our wonderful console players either so this year they may expect a little exclusive update to the shop in order to make the transactions less tedious for them.

We finally plan to return working on our rewards system that we introduced in 2019. We sincerely apologize for having to neglect it for so long due to various misfortunes at our studios. This year you may expect some previously available items to return and fill the shelves of our rewards page. We'll keep you updated on that.

We're pleased to announce that the DLC characters we added to the game last year brought great feedback and support to our game. This year around we plan to release three more of these characters. As usual, you'll be able to purchase them in the in-game store either by themselves or alongside the skin packs we'll be releasing with them or you can weave them with your spools. You might be excited to hear that a familiar banana loving troublemaker from our single player Don't Starve game will be amongst the newcomers.

After a wonderfully chilly Winter's Feast, what's better to celebrate the arrival of 2020 with our annual Chinese New Year event. This year it is the Year of the Carrat so expect the spotlight to be on our little leafy friends from the lunar island. Our team worked really hard on bringing new content for the event so we hope you'll enjoy it, which we'll be releasing in a couple of weeks. Similar to last year's Year of the Pig King event, we plan to implement some of the exclusive content in this years event to the whole year as a permanent addition so after the event, you can keep an eye out for it. As our little annual tradition, we'll also be rewarding a loyal skin and the swoon emoticon for all our players who log in to their game around the Valentines day this year. Remember to spread the love.

The Twitch stream skin drops will also be continuing this year and after a brief seasonal break, the crystalline collection is making a comeback more crystallized than ever. It's the last week to get the Klaus Cap items from streams and next week Glass Eyebrella items will replace them as our new Twitch drops. For more information on how to obtain them, be sure to check out our new drop announcement thread.

playerportrait_bg_eyebrellahatcrystal.png.e3b84c73f995fb62e7016e1cfaf48ef5.png.d42d7efde91545bf5271f28be7bab525.png

We are really excited for 2020 and what it will bring to our survivors. As the lovely community of our game, you have our utmost gratitude for supporting us in this journey. We hope you'll share the same sentiments we felt expanding the content with love and care. Above all else, keep enjoying what you do best and never forget to keep on don't starving. Together.

I'm a fan of the first rework choice. Let's be frank, noone plays Wendy. Good job on the speculation part too, I've had a blast reading it.

Myself though, I hope we'll see more new original characters rather than recycled Shipwrecked/Hamlet characters.

When people are desperate for the 2020 roadmap

so they make their own-

Spoiler

Though these are interesting speculations and wish it was true lol

49 minutes ago, Pies said:

Myself though, I hope we'll see more new original characters rather than recycled Shipwrecked/Hamlet characters.

I half agree, I hope they'll specify how many characters are actually new and which are just from base game hhh

But I kinda want Wagstaff in dst ngl-

Wendy is Awesome, Abigail is not.. Abigail is dumb.

I will rest my case by stating that they recently Added Wurt to the game: Wurt can create Merm Disguises so that we can live in her Swamp Base with her and not get punched in the face.

You know what else lives in the Swamp?? Tentacles which even if they aren’t anywhere near Wendy to be a Threat Abigail still attacks and ultimately dies to instead of gee I don’t  know- The Wave Of hounds that are Wrecking Wendy’s face At that Moment.

Wendy Can’t even use a Boomerang to Quickly kill birds for Morsel because her Damage is too WEAK.

So excuse you Mr. No one plays Wendy.. but some of us Wendy mains are rather patiently waiting for the Wendy Rework hoping it fixes a good bit of this.

This year I'm really hoping for a Wendy and Wes rework. Why Wes? I feel like it's quite strange to have a detrimental character in a co-operative game like Don't Starve Together without including some benefits for the team. I'd like to see more of Wes, because I love his mime aesthetic and his skins are some of the best. :wilson_dorky:

His rework wouldn't even have to remove the challenge of playing him, just give him some way of benefiting others at the cost of his own difficulty. (Sorta like how Warly can provide so much to others while having some difficulty. A great support character!)

22 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

This is such a silly thing to complain about. You can still freeze birds with an ice staff and then attack them with a stronger weapon.

Or.. just build bird traps and plant bird seed in it, that’s not what I’m complaining about.. I’m Complaining about the fact that her Weakness renders certain weapons useless to her- and before you ask NO I don’t look up the absolute best most OP items to use and then everything else is Irrelevant. 

But Wendy can still use Boomerangs to Aggro Koalephant so they aren't 100% completely useless- it just gives a weapon I enjoy using limited use while playing as my favorite character, You can chalk that up to Weaknesses, Downsides, Blah blah blah.. but it doesn’t change the fact that to get the full effectiveness out of an item I enjoy using I need to play as someone other than Wendy.

It’s Almost like saying okay let’s add Woodlegs to the game but to make him Unique he’s now going to be the only one who can steer a boats steering wheel because he is a pirate captain and everyone else will do his bidding by dropping paddles into the water and 1.. 2.. 3.. Row Ye Salty Dogs or else walk the plank.

okay maybe not exactly like that.. but you get the idea I hope lol

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Or.. just build bird traps and plant bird seed in it, that’s not what I’m complaining about.. I’m Complaining about the fact that her Weakness renders certain weapons useless to her- and before you ask NO I don’t look up the absolute best most OP items to use and then everything else is Irrelevant. 

But Wendy can still use Boomerangs to Aggro Koalephant so they aren't 100% completely useless- it just gives a weapon I enjoy using limited use while playing as my favorite character, You can chalk that up to Weaknesses, Downsides, Blah blah blah.. but it doesn’t change the fact that to get the full effectiveness out of an item I enjoy using I need to play as someone other than Wendy.

It’s Almost like saying okay let’s add Woodlegs to the game but to make him Unique he’s now going to be the only one who can steer a boats steering wheel because he is a pirate captain and everyone else will do his bidding by dropping paddles into the water and 1.. 2.. 3.. Row Ye Salty Dogs or else walk the plank.

okay maybe not exactly like that.. but you get the idea I hope lol

That's such a non-issue. Wendy and Wes have damage reductions, that's their main drawbacks. Why are you complaining about boomerangs of all things? "Ugh, I hate playing Wigfrid. Vegetables are COMPLETELY useless to her. I mean, I can still use them as filler for pierogi but... still dragonpies are so useless." Or "I wish they just let Webber befriend pigs... they are so useless, all they do is hit me! I very much enjoy having pig followers, so why can't Webber have them?! I get that he's a spider but... wow."

47 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

That's such a non-issue. Wendy and Wes have damage reductions, that's their main drawbacks. Why are you complaining about boomerangs of all things? "Ugh, I hate playing Wigfrid. Vegetables are COMPLETELY useless to her. I mean, I can still use them as filler for pierogi but... still dragonpies are so useless." Or "I wish they just let Webber befriend pigs... they are so useless, all they do is hit me! I very much enjoy having pig followers, so why can't Webber have them?! I get that he's a spider but... wow."

Not the same thing, Wendy and Wes waste a lot more resources that any other characters.

Pressing F to kil a boss for 30 minutes is bad, imagine doing that for 15 more minutes and needing more weapons.

Wigfrid/Wolfgang/Wicker are good because you will take enemies faster and their damage modifiers + regen/speed makes up for their drawbacks.

There is really not much that you could do about Wes or Wendy's low damage (Fighting with a beefalo erases the lower modifier but domesticating one is boring and painful), Abigail will not help you at all againts bosses and you will be obligated to just fight them alone while wasting more time compared to the rest.

43 minutes ago, Mr. Despair said:

Wigfrid/Wolfgang/Wicker are good because you will take enemies faster and their damage modifiers + regen/speed makes up for their drawbacks.

I know it's not the point of your saying, but is that what the community really wants ? Every character to be at equal strenght with limited flaws ? For every character to be as strong as Wigfrid/Wolfgang/Wicker ?

I don't think it would be a good way of balancing things out to be honest. I know alot of people play the game solo (i am myself a solo Wes main), but i think that everybody should bring good to a team to get a powerful synergy or group  in a game suppose to be multiplayer. Not to be overpowered by themself. If characters have downsides, it's for a reason. Wendy and Wes damage nerf is how the dev intended them to be play as.

I do believe that abigail needs a rework don't get me wrong, but i think that complaining about downside of character won't make the survivability part of the game more fun. My opinion might be bias though by the fact that i do enjoy hard challenges that ask you to prepare yourself better then usual.

2 minutes ago, Warlockadamm said:

I know it's not the point of your saying, but is that what the community really wants ? Every character to be at equal strenght with limited flaws ? For every character to be as strong as Wigfrid/Wolfgang/Wicker ?

I don't think it would be a good way of balancing things out to be honest. I know alot of people play the game solo (i am myself a solo Wes main), but i think that everybody should bring good to a team to get a powerful synergy or group  in a game suppose to be multiplayer. Not to be overpowered by themself. If characters have downsides, it's for a reason. Wendy and Wes damage nerf is how the dev intended them to be play as.

I do believe that abigail needs a rework don't get me wrong, but i think that complaining about downside of character won't make the survivability part of the game more fun. My opinion might be bias though by the fact that i do enjoy hard challenges that ask you to prepare yourself better then usual.

Realistically a 10 Year old little girl is going to throw a Boomerang a lot further and a lot harder than a 74 year old fragile Librarian at the end of her lifespan.. 

But hey- Video Game Logic.

Abigail needs to be more useful in fighting Situations, She does Absolutely nothing but stand there waiting for you to die and join her while your being attacked by Shadow Monsters, And Why every time I even attempt to get close to and heal her does she float away from me??

Wendy needs a Rework- Rather y’all like it or not, and saying she doesn’t is just lying to yourselves at this point.

2 hours ago, Warlockadamm said:

No, But this game has the problem that you will play most characters in the exact same way.

Wes and Wendy's modifier doesn't changes your playstyle that much, Abigail is good for dealing with bees or spiders (which are already easy and fast to kill with any other character) and the rest of your playthrough as her will be the same that any other characters but you will just waste more time with bosses, it's a flawed design.

Synergy is a good thing but making the whole game based around it is a bad idea, the destiny of all multiplayer games is to die and DST is the only exception in which you can play it alone and it should stay that way, characters should be fun in their own.

Advanced issue found

21 hours ago, Pies said:

Let's be frank, noone plays Wendy.

Every server I join there is at least two Wendys and one of those people that has her expensive skins that hop on once in a while

On 1/2/2020 at 5:08 AM, HorseyTheYes said:

When people are desperate for the 2020 roadmap

so they make their own-

Reveal hidden contents

Though these are interesting speculations and wish it was true lol

I half agree, I hope they'll specify how many characters are actually new and which are just from base game hhh

But I kinda want Wagstaff in dst ngl-

New characters would be anyone who is NOT-

Woodlegs, Walani, Wilbur, Wilba, Wagstaff or Wheeler.

They did say 4 Brand new characters Exclusive to DST didn’t they??? 

So I'm scratching Wormwood since he is also part of Hamlet off that list and instead replacing him with Winona- Who was the first DST Exclusive to begin with, (and yes I’m being totally biased towards Winona because I love her and more people should try to Main her)

However.. having said that I know EXACTLY how to fix her Totally Useless Spotlight. (and I’ll post that in another thread) 

Archived