• other
  2. 2. why do you rollback?

• because i die
    • because i did something wrong
    • because something really unfair happened
    • because of greifers
    • i dont know / i dont want to answer
    • other (comment)
    • because me and my teammates where about to pick characters, and then someone enters the world before we agreed on which characters to be
    • i dont rollback

Only a self-declared ~11% of forumites (not bulk of players, mind you - I feel the need to underline this every time) at the moment of this comment say they don't roll-back because.. reasons. So, to have a better perspective, from the very small percentage of players visiting forums and posting (probably something around [1%;5%] from player-base), a meager 11% are adept enough to not roll-back. Maybe adept, maybe fair to the survival principle, who knows. Meanwhile.. I look at the "we must very harden certainly need to have a HARDMODE - without rollback, tougher conditions, hardcore try-hard tralala stuff cause the game is SOOO EASY" advocating topics. Fair enough, must be a "market" for that, warranting time spent by dev-team in doing such game-mode or just fist-a-boot up the general populace's behind cause "uncompromising survival". Ok. And THEN I look in printscreens topic. And see what some-of-the-very-people-demanding-such-hard_mode post: with what mods they play - and they do certainly fancy them mods, not the "make the game great hard again" mods mind you! And read their stories.. how they die to normal Bearger, Shadows, Hunger or barely kill on the N-rollback-attempt a Klaus. Still they ask for a HARD-MODE when have problems surviving in current settings. Lovely. Pure grace and consistency! Mmmmmhm! :roll:

All while myself never use the option - rollback - on my solo worlds; not because of principles or whatnot, but 'cause I don't need it - by planning ahead. Still in pubs.... "THEM" help the wicked! Yes, in pubs is pure madness from all points of views. And rollbacks for the silliest of reasons. And don't get me started on the disconnecting people when hound waves bark their incomings. Oh well...

Predictable, ennit?!

I only make servers to test stuff and mess around or try some dangerous strats like ruins rushing as Maxwell without science,obviously my servers are the only place i have the privilege to rollback.

And i rollback only when i end up spawning something like a particle that i don't know how to delete...

It's pretty unfair imo. 

Screenshot_909.png.9dfd0880acbbb303c173f57dbba92023.png

bottom text.

1 hour ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Only a self-declared ~11% of forumites (not bulk of players, mind you - I feel the need to underline this every time) at the moment of this comment say they don't roll-back because.. reasons. So, to have a better perspective, from the very small percentage of players visiting forums and posting (probably something around [1%;5%] from player-base), a meager 11% are adept enough to not roll-back. Maybe adept, maybe fair to the survival principle, who knows. Meanwhile.. I look at the "we must very harden certainly need to have a HARDMODE - without rollback, tougher conditions, hardcore try-hard tralala stuff cause the game is SOOO EASY" advocating topics. Fair enough, must be a "market" for that, warranting time spent by dev-team in doing such game-mode or just fist-a-boot up the general populace's behind cause "uncompromising survival". Ok. And THEN I look in printscreens topic. And see what some-of-the-very-people-demanding-such-hard_mode post: with what mods they play - and they do certainly fancy them mods, not the "make the game great hard again" mods mind you! And read their stories.. how they die to normal Bearger, Shadows, Hunger or barely kill on the N-rollback-attempt a Klaus. Still they ask for a HARD-MODE when have problems surviving in current settings. Lovely. Pure grace and consistency! Mmmmmhm! :roll:

All while myself never use the option - rollback - on my solo worlds; not because of principles or whatnot, but 'cause I don't need it - by planning ahead. Still in pubs.... "THEM" help the wicked! Yes, in pubs is pure madness from all points of views. And rollbacks for the silliest of reasons. And don't get me started on the disconnecting people when hound waves bark their incomings. Oh well...

Predictable, ennit?!

0VER, you should put a TL:DR... 

I usually rollback when I feel the world it’s just doing a massive prank on me or when the situation can’t get any worse.

For example when I’m fighting Dragonfly and out of nowhere hounds start to spawn,not letting me play the pan flute and Dragonfly just rage stomp us all.

Spoiler

(I don’t know if this is intended to happen or if it’s a bug,but in my 1500+ days world hounds sometimes spawn after growling just one time)

Or when I barely survive a fight with 4+ Depthworms and some random bats,just to be hit with 2 consecutive moleworms and dying near my cave base.

(If any of these examples sounds too much expecific,remember,they actually happened with the person creating this text ;-; )

I know the Constant is supposed to be a place where everything wants to kill you but,in all honesty,I feel that there’s a line between “Hey look !! The whole world wants you dead haha” and “Yep,you’re dying again stupid,next time make 3 times the equipment and watch your back,you would not want to die by a pine cone...would you ?”

Spoiler

It’s kinda like crossing the line between Funny/Tragic and Unfair/Sad.

I'll give my own experience now on rollbacks. Basically I don't do rollbacks on this personal server I'm hosting and I've imposed myself not to die or even use one rollback since I got the hang on the game itself. But there's this one instance I forsake this imposed challenge since I use an ornery beefalo as my personal weaponry which got killed by my neglect due to tentacles. So in my case now today its near rare for me to use rollbacks unless its quite important.

I never rollback, mostly because I never play with anyone and feel like that would be no different than using console commands to get what I want (part of the reason I had my bf re-bind the console key to something else so that I don't cheat on impulse). Although I can understand if you're in a long-term world. Really would suck to lose 2000 days worth of progress just to start all over because of one silly thing, kinda makes it not worth it to go that far if that's all you get to look forward to. 

I started with Don't Starve which didn't have any way to roll back.  I got to where I could survive a few hundred days without much issue, and got pretty familiar with the game.  I dropped off playing the game right before Reign of Giants came out, and got back in when DST was on pre-order...  So there was a LOT of new content to get used to.  I rolled back a lot at this point as I would experiment but now I rarely roll back.

The reason I still roll back (and this reason is similar to why I used rollbacks before) is typically when I'm trying something out.  I don't think its unfair to try something new in a game world and roll back to either re-try, or just give up the activity and call it good.  Basically before I even start doing something I might already be planning on a roll back whether successful or not.

I really like the rollback feature in DST, but it does create a totally different experience than DS where rollbacks don't exist.

On a related note: Sometimes I like to reveal the map immediately on spawning a new server to see if the map looks interesting and I'll just re-roll it if it looks like a chore to play on.  I'm tempted to use a bit of creative mode to just put up a base quick... but I think that might take away too much since balancing time spent resource gathering vs fighting bosses or doing other challenging things is essentially the game.

When Im alone, I never rollback, it's do or die.

However playing with friends or in pubs, rollbacks happen every so often since, as cold as this sounds, other players are an unpredictable liability towards your survival, especially if you don't know them.

However, rollbacks have been commonplace for me as of late since @GetNerfedOn likes to die every 10 minutes. /s

I rollback whenever I die because I don't try hard enough or make careless mistakes all the time. It's a feature in the game I use to full effect, anyways.

That being said, running a server where I actually have to try hard for friends of mine is giving me a new perspective on my constant rollbacking and relatively low skill.

I like the way most of the first comments are like: I never rollback :abnormal:, rollback is for puss*es (nobody said that exactly). But then it takes one courageous (@Warbucks ;)) and the rollbacker army flood the place XD. 

A bit like @NSAiswatchingus, I am very careful of my primary world. I will just not allow it to get turned to ashes. Also, as a proud owner of tamed beefalos (feels like I said that before lol), as they tend to get attracted to dying stupidly and because the taming process is tedious, they are the reason for many rollbacks of my world. I would classify this as a "something unfair" rollback tho. 

I am way less prompt to rollback when playing with others however.

I almost never rollback and I don't really like it, I like to play and bear the consequenses for my actions (even for my mistakes). It's not a bad thing to rollback in my opinion tho, it's just a question of how you want to play the game: as a survival game where mistakes can kill you or just having casual fun without wanting to worry about losing the world. I prefer the first one, so I play like that.

I think my "anti-rollback" mindset began on a public server where a few guys decided to raid the ruins without actually being able to. They died 3 times (!) to the ancient guardian and they always rerolled. The most annoying way that it was the time I was collecting rabbits for a presti; I had to catch 16 of them just to build that damn thing finally. Like really, I was really annoyed at the end.

I'm not against to rollback when we have a griefer of course, rebuilding base isn't always possible (or fun).

I never rollback now on my private server (did it earlier a few times, but not anymore), the only exception was an actual unfair case. I was shutting down the server when the earth started crumbling, but I already hit the exit button. So I immediately relaunched the game, but as soon as I got in (it took a bit to load up and get connected) Antlion's sinkholes already appeared in the middle of my base and I died. Since I didn't get the time to get away I didn't consider that case "cheating" the survival aspect.

I rollback when a series of very unfortunate events happen: for example, when I go to reed trap because deerclops is coming, but I die for some stupid reason, and then the clops destroys the base.

I also rollback after a failed attempt at killing the raid boss. I once played with a friend and prepared everything to beat the Ancient Fuelweaver. I rollbacked like six times before we finally killed it.

I only rollback when I do something really stupid like forgetting to bring something to a solo battle.    If I run into multiple attacks (once had two giants, hounds and shadow monsters all within a 2 day battle) I tough it out, if I die, too bad.   In another game we had 3 consecutive frog rains, everyone wanted to roll back, I voted to keep going, you can always rebuild especially after frogs as they don't do much damage.

When people bug me to rollback when they die then I say no. Then the entire server erupts in rollback related slang

On 11/9/2019 at 4:54 PM, x0VERSUS1y said:

How they die to normal Bearger, Shadows, Hunger or barely kill on the N-rollback-attempt a Klaus. Still they ask for a HARD-MODE when have problems surviving in current settings.  

[MOST SNIP]

This depends, for me at least I die when I'm not really paying attention. I'll jus tbe messing around on day 50 (Take into consideration I haven't died up until now) and I die from the dark. Now it may seem nooby, but sometimes people just don't pay attention. Or I might just go and explore the ruins just because and die. 

2 hours ago, GetRektKids said:

This depends, for me at least I die when I'm not really paying attention. I'll jus tbe messing around on day 50 (Take into consideration I haven't died up until now) and I die from the dark. Now it may seem nooby, but sometimes people just don't pay attention. Or I might just go and explore the ruins just because and die. 

To be fair those situations also fall under "careful planning ahead".

Yet my point wasn't as much related to "sh|t randomly hitting the fan" - more so if YOLO/very-relaxed playing, rather about "try-hards" with a healthy dose of Dunning-Kruger Effect (on the low-skill spectrum) demanding harsher day-1 general conditions for DST settings as per their own over-estimation of said skill level or blatantly exaggerating mentioned level in repeatedly stating that "game is too easy". Is ok to roll-back, "your world your rules" - but is kinda dumb and dishonest to demand general DST higher-bar difficulty when you-yourself struggle or are plain mediocre in current settings (settings seen as hard, aka DST - a difficult game, by bulk of player-base) for whatever reason - that's my complaint.

Again is ok to do whatever you want in your world, and not taking into account what others say if that's making your game-play uncomfortable. And in pubs, for better-or-worse, is usually the "democratic vote" governing roll-backs - even if that means an over-confident Wes makes the peeps roll-back server 8 times in his over-confident pursuit of mushing Shadow Chess Pieces even though that endeavor ended in the death of all communal-base players over-and-over again, mentioned Wes most-included, cause they evidently weren't even near to being prepared - yes, that happened to me on a Klei official pub, making me redo 8 times my Ruins kitchen just because. Happy madness times in pubs, heh.

Only time I remember rolling back was when I was playing with a friend and a huge lag spike killed me. (there was nothing I could do, I was fighting a nightmare beak, everything froze for a while, then I was dead) Other than that I try to avoid it. 

21 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

To be fair those situations also fall under "careful planning ahead".

[MOST SNIP]

Yeah makes sense. I have had people call me garbage because I died to the dark. Like no..... I'm not garbage, I just don't tryhard the entire time. I only really crank down the first 21 days to get prepared. Then I just focus on living. 

WHAT I ALSO HATE!!!!:

When people put in the title Pro's Only, Good Players, Proffesionals Only, etc. THEN THEY HAVE THE BALLS TO MESS WITH THE SETTINGS!!!! Like no sir, do not say "Profesionals Only" then make autumn long. That happened to me yesterday, people don't make sense. 

On 11/9/2019 at 8:36 PM, Bernado1 said:

Or when I barely survive a fight with 4+ Depthworms and some random bats,just to be hit with 2 consecutive moleworms and dying near my cave base.

Moleworms

MOLEWORMS

MOLEWORMS

Archived